Diablo® III

Why do people buy gold/gear?

pay2win? some just need to win no matter what i guess
Reply Quote
Well, I stopped playing so when I start again I plan to borrow $2,000.00 from my friends and then parade the character around for a while.

After that I'll skip a few patches and do the same again. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
when you work 50-60 hours a week and are a full time father, you usually only get about 2 hours a night to yourself. maybe you get to spend 90 minutes of that time playing games. when your friends get to spend 20-40 hours a week playing games, you fall behind. having the opportunity to stay current with them is nice...expensive, but nice...

so next time you decide to give someone hell because they didnt "farm" thier gear, or you just "dont understand" why people spend money on gear, think about it before judging people...or putting up some righteous post about it.

heck, i'd start putting gear in the RMAH, maybe you can get in on some of that money!!
Reply Quote
when you work 50-60 hours a week and are a full time father, you usually only get about 2 hours a night to yourself. maybe you get to spend 90 minutes of that time playing games. when your friends get to spend 20-40 hours a week playing games, you fall behind. having the opportunity to stay current with them is nice...expensive, but nice...

so next time you decide to give someone hell because they didnt "farm" thier gear, or you just "dont understand" why people spend money on gear, think about it before judging people...or putting up some righteous post about it.

heck, i'd start putting gear in the RMAH, maybe you can get in on some of that money!!

I work 50-60 hrs a week (put in 14.5 hrs yesterday).
I have a wife and son (9 months old, didn't even see him yesterday...)
I've put in 300 hrs on my main since the game was released, been playing since day 1.

I've had some days where I ignore the world and have played 8-10 hrs, i'm lucky that my wife is OK with that, but in general I don't play more than 1-2 hrs a day.

Back when the game was originally released it was much much more difficult to farm gear. I remember people selling UnID'd ilvl 63 gear for 250,000 gold...
But now, Blizzard has made it so easy to get good gear and to make it easy to farm (mp0 is a joke), yet for some reason people think they need to play 10,000 hrs on mp10 to get good drops...

FYI -
My wizard and DH gear 100% provided by drops from my warrior farming, 0 AH.
My warrior is 50/50 AH and drops.

People just need to play the game and they will get good gear. If you want pay2play go back to facebook farmville.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
They buy gold because of the greedy players putting stuff in the AH for hundreds of millions of gold. That's why. Plain and simple. Oh and the fact that stuff just doesn't drop in this game.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter

I've put in 300 hrs on my main since the game was released, been playing since day 1.

I've had some days where I ignore the world and have played 8-10 hrs, i'm lucky that my wife is OK with that, but in general I don't play more than 1-2 hrs a day.

Back when the game was originally released it was much much more difficult to farm gear. I remember people selling UnID'd ilvl 63 gear for 250,000 gold...
But now, Blizzard has made it so easy to get good gear and to make it easy to farm (mp0 is a joke), yet for some reason people think they need to play 10,000 hrs on mp10 to get good drops...

FYI -

People just need to play the game and they will get good gear. If you want pay2play go back to facebook farmville.
If you have over 300 hours on just your main you spend way more then 1-2 hours a day playing. Nice try.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 11:19 AMPosted by Barlion
If you have over 300 hours on just your main you spend way more then 1-2 hours a day playing. Nice try.

This game has been out since May 15.
That's ~250 days ago.
I have 315 hrs on my main. So that is average 1.26 hrs / day since game release.
Reply Quote
This game has been out since May 15.
That's ~250 days ago.
I have 315 hrs on my main. So that is average 1.26 hrs / day since game release.

nice
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

FYI -

Cool story. Like i said i get maybe 1-2 hours to myself and maybe get 90 minutes to play games. Diablo isnt the only game i enjoy playing. I like having the option of paying a "convenience fee" for being able to keep up with some of my friends who have the time to farm gear. I like to play with them and enjoy each others company. This game isn't as fun when your alone or with a group of people you don't know. With the changes made im well aware of how easy it is to get gear and several pieces were dropped/traded and not purchased. It's absurd that people even care about what other people do with there money.

I certainly could tell the wife "Don't bother me for the day I'll be in the computer room farming my brains out and you can handle the kid for a while!" However, I wouldn't spend a request like that on a video game...Not saying I'm better than that, I'm just saying there are other things id rather spend an entire day on. Just preference.

I can see the frustration with players who have the time and patience to farm the gear. It's probably even more frustrating when Johnny Moneybags has 250k dps and less than 30,000-50,000 elite mob kills and then brags about how awesome his gear is, ya know?

All i'm trying to say is it's very convenient for people who barley get enough time to farm 1 act in 1 sitting and have many other things going on in life. It's also probably nice for people with unlimited, disposable incomes.

The funniest thing is alot of people dont realize you can use the RMAH without ever spending a dollar above the cost for Diablo 3. I think i put in about forty bucks total to get myself to a comfortable set up to play with friends initially after lvl 60...after that I just sold stuff on the AH for three to five dollars with a couple peices going for ten to fifteen dollars if the stats were right, it does sell but patience ans perseverance got me over 110.00 in a month. I then used that money to purchase better items...and I rinse and repeat. I also traded with friends and had my friends helped me out. i couldn't have farmed it with them unless i was caught up to them and able to survive. If i had more time and I was okay with playing with myself and staying behind my friends, I would have never spent that 40 bucks to get some decent pieces to start.

Comparing Diablo 3 to farmville is silly...unless farmville was a dungeon crawler....lol please...now THAT'S absurd...and im pretty sure even farmville you can get to where you need to go without spending any money. i've never played it though.
Reply Quote
maybe you should play the game before making comments on how bad it sucks.... just a thought....
Reply Quote
I definitely understand the temptation to buy gear as the drops can be pretty useless. I am playing all 5 hero types solo with a goal of getting them all to 60, then through Inferno.

My style of play is to only rely on drops and level farm if I struggle with mobs. It has been fun, albeit a little frustrating at times (thank goodness the Blizz servers don't keep track of deaths) and I think helps develop skill compared to buying killer gear and 1 shotting everyone.

It helps if you are a "grinder" by nature. I don't mind the same gameplay over and over again and try focus more on getting better at playing. To me, playing the game just to get through it is boring, but that's just personal preference.
Reply Quote

So, you have time to spend 1-2 hours a day playing on top of a 50-60 hour work week, but can't make time to interact with your son?

Yes, clearly it is those who prioritize their real-world time over their game-time with the problem, and you know how they should play the game.
Reply Quote

FYI -

Personal choices........who cares.
Edited by Septimus#6445 on 1/22/2013 3:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
13 Troll Shaman
So much hate on the players that buy gold/items why, you guys mad.?

I will openly admit I do buy gold/ gear.
Why you might ask.? Because I can.
But I do have limits, I do have disposable income, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay 250 dollars for a bloody item.
Between my barb and wizard I've spent about 100 bucks, and in no way can either of them, just steam roll through mp10
I can do mp5 if I'm lucky, I still struggle with it, it gives me room to improve my characters for grinding when I do end up getting some time to play.
Considering I work anywhere from 250-400+ hrs a month, managing my personal life, and any such other thing that would happen to come into play, I just can't dedicate my life to diablo 3, which is needed to roll quality items, just because of the itemization.
I'm in no way saying this game "sucks", I quite enjoy diablo 3 when I happen to get the chance to play.

This community saddens me dearly, when everyone just thinks who ever buys "gold/gear", is just sucking the teet of "mommy", "facepalm losers", "cry baby's" "insert stupid name here"
Reply Quote
Well some people dont have the time for 10 hour/day farming sessions to be able to do end game content while they can easily spare $17 to buy 100 mil game gold from a 3rd party site.
Reply Quote
It's their money for crying out loud...

And what is Pay2Win? Do you actually win in this game?

For people that brags, doesn't that make them a loser?
Edited by MrX#1309 on 1/22/2013 4:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
What I want to know is wtf that newb bought with a 100mil? If you want your mind boggled I order 2bil at a time for 1-2 items alone.
Kids mad they poor I guess
Reply Quote
People are lazy to grind, i would think buying gear would make the game less enjoyable because if you already have it whats the point? Thats why i play hc problem solved. No RMAH. But if you wanna be the best you can be for a short period of time till they add content or gear to the game go ahead, if you got the money go for it if that's what you enjoy! Hc > Sc
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]