Diablo® III

Why do people buy gold/gear?

I never spent real money on my account, its all self earned from my skills playing diablo games.
Reply Quote
This thread and many others will help pave the way for game companies to try to monetize every possible thing they can in a video game. Thanks! You guys know there was a time games were made where you could find everything you needed, because that's how it was DESIGNED. But hey, I guess if like not being able to find your own gear and paying real money for stuff, keep supporting the RMAH.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 03:25 PMPosted by NeLLy
I never spent real money on my account, its all self earned from my skills playing diablo games.

You mean flipping auctions. There is no skills to earning money in Diablo III.. There is only the AH. It would take you ten times your current kills to earn enough money in game to buy your gear and gems. Unless you found every single piece, and some how I doubt that's the case.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 03:25 PMPosted by NeLLy

unless your talking about flipping the only thing in this game that requires any skill I think you mean time

edit: beat me by 20 seconds
Edited by iwonsch#1358 on 1/18/2013 3:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 03:34 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
You do realize Diablo is a game where you can find everything you NEED, right? It's not need that is driving people to farm or buy better gear.

Sure you can, you just need your entire life to devote to it. Why would someone do that when they can just spend $20. And that is what is wrong with this game.
Edited by MikeHoncho#1169 on 1/18/2013 3:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
I know of one case --- someone that enjoys just going into a level... ripping everything apart and watching it die...

(stress ball syndrome)
Reply Quote
WHY DO PEOPLE BUY GOLD/GEAR?

Because its my money and I do whatever i want to my money.
Why dont you create posts complaining about people that spend everything in gambling or drugs too?
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 03:36 PMPosted by MikeHoncho
You do realize Diablo is a game where you can find everything you NEED, right? It's not need that is driving people to farm or buy better gear.

Sure you can, you just need your entire life to devote to it. Why would someone do that when they can just spend $20. And that is what is wrong with this game.

That IS a big part whats wrong with the game. That and the fact they slapped a real dollar value on gold. Now people think they can make a living off it.

They developed the game to support the AH. The problem is that in doing so they made it so individuals are more likely to never get anything good. They made every thing so random you have a better chance of hitting the lottery then finding something nice in Diablo III.

Robot Farmers have likely found 90% of all the good gear in the game. Because they farm 24/7 they also bring in the massive gold amounts.
Reply Quote
Dude the game is set up to drop crap 99% of the time, and when something does drop, it's not for you class. It's designed to fuel the AH. That's crappy design, and people for some reason support it with the whole, "it's my money and I can do what I want with it" argument. That's all fine and dandy, and I can't argue with that, but just realize you're letting these companies like Activision and EA know that you are willing to pay real money for anything in a video game, and you can be sure they will continue to design games this way.
Reply Quote
People who make threads like this really prove their age and/or maturity level.

Why do people buy gold? I don't do it, but that's cause I'm cheap. But for others it's a means to an end.

You see. Some people have families. I.e. Wife and children. Wife and kids = not a lot of free leisure time at home. So if a family man or woman playing D3 doesn't want to spend a year or more gearing up, they need to save time some how. That how is achieved via RMAH.

Would you play with the training wheels on MUCH longer than needed? Didn't think so.
Reply Quote
whoopadeedoo

most people dont buy on the RMAH cause decent players can gear easily on the GAH
Edited by iwonsch#1358 on 1/18/2013 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nope. But I'm just a drop in the bucket. I'd like to get back to a time where I didn't have to spend 1000+ hours farming only to be passed up by some guy with a credit card who started playing yesterday. Call me crazy, but I just don't think that is solid game design. The whole Bob and Fred argument is crap. I gave my buddy gear when he hit 60 and he keeps up with me just fine. People have to have their instant gratification nowadays and D3 preys on that.

Edit: I would like to state that I have no problem with the GAH.
Edited by MikeHoncho#1169 on 1/18/2013 3:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
The better question is this: Why should you (or anyone else) care that someone else is buying gold and/or gear?

There are PLENTY of things that EVERY one of you spends money on that someone else would likely consider a "waste" of money. Heck, if you bought D3... or payed for a year subscription to WoW to get D3 free... you "wasted" your money on a video game in someone's eyes.

If you buy a soda... you are "wasting" money on a useless drink.
Smoking...
Other hobbies...

The list goes on and on and on.

But really... why should you care what someone else does with their money? That's what perplexes me the most with all of you whining about how "bad" someone is that bought something in a video game.

lawl
Reply Quote

Have you bought anything from the RMAH?

What does it matter if I did or didn't? It does not change the "problem" with the game. I have sold gear on the RMAH and I have purchased gold with the earnings. does not mean I agree with system.

The biggest problem with the game is the greed of the people trying to make a living off of the game.
Edited by Jane#1803 on 1/18/2013 3:58 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]