Diablo® III

Why do people buy gold/gear?

Well because they don't have time to play like 8 hrs a day? they have real jobs? they think of Diablo 3 like an amusement park where they pay to have a great time? I never bought anything in the AH but this is very easy to understand.
Reply Quote
Simple: You paid $60 to enjoy this game. Someone else feels it is worth more than $60, and continues to pay as long as they enjoy it.

"Why would people pay for an imaginary item in an imaginary world?"
Well, "why would people pay for an imaginary world?" Same thing.

Sad thing is blizzard got the micro transaction part.... but did it wrong.

They could have simply put a vending machine in and allow you to adjust the stats of the piece you want... pay them directly.. it is pay to win after all

I would much rather pay the game makers then some unemployed 22 year old high school drop out living at home with mom and dad, troll the forums, flip auctions playing Diablo all day...
Reply Quote
Because they have money to spend. .
Reply Quote
You got two options:

1) Farm for like 200 hours and get 100m
2) Go to work for like 4 hours and buy 100m

He's just smart. The game isn't rewarding by any means.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Simple: You paid $60 to enjoy this game. Someone else feels it is worth more than $60, and continues to pay as long as they enjoy it.

Sad thing is blizzard got the micro transaction part.... but did it wrong.

They could have simply put a vending machine in and allow you to adjust the stats of the piece you want... pay them directly.. it is pay to win after all

I would much rather pay the game makers then some unemployed 22 year old high school drop out living at home with mom and dad, troll the forums, flip auctions playing Diablo all day...

That's just stupid. You don't get it do you?
If you have all the spare time in the world, go and grind and people like me will be waiting with our credit cards. You play, I pay. Then I play faster. We all win.
Reply Quote
It's quite funny what several people are saying here. They say they have to buy gold because of their job or whatever. They do it because it takes so long to get something in the game. For me it seems that some people still can't see that the RMAH is the exact reason why it takes so long in the game to get something good. Blizzard can't raise the drop rates when gold costs nothing a million. I rather not play the game instead of supporting something that simply destroys the game. Money is not an issue. Crappy game play because of everyone buying gold is an issue.
Reply Quote
POE FTW!
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 02:41 AMPosted by roohan
It's quite funny what several people are saying here. They say they have to buy gold because of their job or whatever. They do it because it takes so long to get something in the game. For me it seems that some people still can't see that the RMAH is the exact reason why it takes so long in the game to get something good. Blizzard can't raise the drop rates when gold costs nothing a million. I rather not play the game instead of supporting something that simply destroys the game. Money is not an issue. Crappy game play because of everyone buying gold is an issue.

QFT.
Reply Quote
I've spent well over 1,000 hours with two characters in D3, and have only once ever received a drop that was a good find, even though it was not usable by any of my characters. This should be sufficient enough to answer your question alone.

I'm 27, have a full time job, and play multiple games due to lack of PvP in D3. I don't want to spend another 1,000 hours farming for great gear when I know it's unlikely to get. And by the time I do get some decent items, the expansion or some content patch will be released rendering my items no longer great.

I do enjoy the game, and the 'new' direction the game is heading.

My sentiments exactly. Sure its nice if you can find an item that you can actually use but the odds are so slim.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 09:35 AMPosted by UGotGanked
cuz they suck at video games among other things, and buy stuff to make themselves feel better.

Or, just maybe, they are awesome at making money in real life and can choose to spend that money wherever they wish. Whether it be in a video game, a bar, a strip club, a strip club with a bar, etc. You get the point. The great thing about making money, which clearly you don't make any with a comment like that, is that you can choose to spend it anywhere and on anything. Capiche hombre?
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 05:52 AMPosted by Armandhammer
cuz they suck at video games among other things, and buy stuff to make themselves feel better.

Or, just maybe, they are awesome at making money in real life and can choose to spend that money wherever they wish. Whether it be in a video game, a bar, a strip club, a strip club with a bar, etc. You get the point. The great thing about making money, which clearly you don't make any with a comment like that, is that you can choose to spend it anywhere and on anything. Capiche hombre?

fall in love with a stripper hombre?
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 09:35 AMPosted by UGotGanked

True:)
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 11:06 PMPosted by Saberfenix

well...if they 'suck' that means you should easily be able to duel ALL fully-RMAH-geared characters (of the same class) and come out tops more than 90% of the time right?

right?

....right?

yes i can clearly see you winning with your 101k dps monk with 470k EHP when the RMAH monks are doing 250k+ dps with 2 million+ EHP. yup makes sense. NOT.

people mistake button mashing in this game for 'skill'....you want skill you go play chess....you want to smash things up and have a little fun ....then you play hack and slash video games. you wanna save time and still have a social life...then use the RMAH. it's pretty much that simple.

it's funny how the same people who complain about RMAH users are also on the forums complaining about the quality of drops in game. if it was so much about 'skill' rather than how fat your wallet is why bother complaining about itemization and the RNG? Oh right....thats it....it's because you dont like the natural way the so called 'legitimate' farming works. funny that....oh the irony....

why so defensive? RMAH much? I could care less what you spend your money on. People have been buying gear in games since online items existed. I once heard a story firsthand about a marriage ending because the husband bought an $800 sword. The wife asked to see it and he said, "uh, you cant, its like, in a video game".(Everquest) He also forgot to mention he used her credit card. I knew many players who bought and sold items in D2 and WoW for anywhere between $5 and $3000, didn't affect me.

Why make fun of my monk? He's super kool. So angry you had to look me up, calculate my stats? LoL

You certainly have the right to buy what you want, I honestly do hope it brings you enjoyment. However, I and many others certainly have the right to laugh or poke fun at people who buy video game items, not because it affects me or matters to me, but because I think it is absolutely HILARIOUS.
Reply Quote
mmmm maybe they are w8ting for pvp... so they must hav a good gear... Some ppl work all day... so... they cant farm... if u work all day... do u wanna farm 4 hours for no items?... No u want not... so ...as u work for get money... some ppl farm to get money... is the life of cicrcle(?)
Reply Quote
at this point in the game starting out new would suck. you can spend a whopping 25-30$ for 100m gold to get you going easily or play til you get a lucky drop which could be months. which would you prefer? i have NEVER spent rm for gear or currency in a video game before but i WOULD in a situation like this
Reply Quote
I would also say like someone has said.

Im 24,full time job and a part time job.
I consider myself an average gamer. I cant play games for 10+hours any more. I just dont have the patience for it.

I play games now a days for 2hours max. If i wanna dump $20 on a character then its fine. I mean its only $20 for some fun

Granted some ppl take it to the extremes with $300+ on a character
Ive logged about 130hours between 3characters on this game and really havent found many drops worth a crap to even sell and begin gearing my toons

Ive probally found 6-8legendaries total

only 2 where worth a crap

Lacuni Prowlers & Innas Temperance
Reply Quote
After daily, full Act 3 and/ Act 4 clears, I have full empathy and sympathy for everyone who AH shops.

The game, on its own, is simply not rewarding time invested.
Reply Quote

Thanks, IMO this post answered the question. Quite elegant answer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]