Diablo® III

PVP Theory and Speculation..

.. I theorize that dodge will be GG once PVP arrives, not that armor and resistance will be moot but high dodge will keep our opponents from being able to proc anything on us every time they miss.

With a shield which I found I sit at about 6.5k armor, 800 all resist, 56% CC, ***3 APS*** and over 2800 dex with over 130k dps and without trying I'm about 70% dodge on paper. No one really knows for sure but I imagine other classes/opponents are going to struggle an awful lot trying to sustain/gain resources if they miss 70% or more of their attacks against us.

Monks = GG in pvp ? thoughts?

Edit - Also having so much dodge / mitigation will likely prove that mantra of retribution is still useless and give way to something like backlash or conviction, probably backlash though I'm guessing, especially since at 3aps it deals just over 100% weapon damage and provides additional dodge.

IAS + Dodge + LOH = GG this is what im betting.
Edited by Solo#1906 on 1/5/2013 6:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
Life regen too..
Reply Quote
Really have no idea what sort of nerf and balance comes with the PvP launch. Good thoughts though, if you cannot dodge, you block, and if you cannot block, you can fight and regain your life. Jealous about your atk spd! lol

"Monks = GG in pvp ? thoughts?"
This, I find amusing that every class forum talks about how they will own the other classes. I don't see any threads in any class forum saying "we're so doomed when PvP launches". We know that when we duel 1v1, there is only 1 winner.

My guess is Dashing Strike is a "must have". Hope they resolve the bugs around that skill.
Reply Quote
I think spirit generation will be a major issue for monks in PvP.

Most enemies will not attempt to trade hits with us, and using ranged skills like Hand of Ytar, Dashing Strike or Cyclone Strike to close distance with enemies will run a serious risk of being spirit starved. All of our defensive skills have a spirit cost, too.

Monks have no burst resource generation skills like DH's Preparation or barbarian shouts and little ability to generate spirit from outside melee range unless we put a lot of effort into building for it.

I think max spirit generation builds might be a major part of monk PvP. Got to keep that resource generation up even when being kited or you'll die.
Reply Quote
the thing is, that monks will hardly be kited - if target is in visual range, one sek and monk is hiting the target thanks to thunderclap or dashing strike (10 spirit is not so much), even wizz with chain teleporting wont be able to kite monk, so in my opinion spirit generation wont be an issue. i think that only DH with old nat set will beat the monk, because of constant SS spam, in that case spirit generation will be a problem - monk will be unable to hit him, but i think that not many DH's has full old nat set, so it wont be a big problem.
Reply Quote
monk's passive skills will be the key, right combination of the three passive will do the job for us.. also a 4 secs blind (if not nerf) will do damage to opponents but we'll see..
Reply Quote
31 Orc Shaman
The dps in this game is already hitting ridiculous levels, so the main edge in pvp will be CC and mobility like it always in in every pvp game. Think of this as Dota or HON without having to start at lvl 1, and having all your gear from the get go, as well as the dps that comes with it.

It mostly comes down to how big the battles will be. 1v1 2v2 3v3 or big ffa's.

1v1 nothing will beat a dashing strike monk, or a kiting wiz with blink

big ffa's WD hands down, zombie bear run, zombie bear run

and off screen DH's with tracking arrows
Edited by kewlbeanspx#1811 on 1/6/2013 5:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
1. Dashing strike - Quicksilver

2. Seven-sided strike - Fulminating Onslaught

3. ????

4. Profit
Reply Quote
some things i think will be very helpful in pvp are:

-EF/Sledgefist combo
-spirit regen gear/skills while not attacking
-dodge
-high EHP
-serenity will be a needed skill
-pacifism will be very helpful
-other CC skills will probably be helpful as well
-dashing strike depending on how thunderclap fares in a pvp environment...
Reply Quote
It's hard for me to see how good my monk could potentially be in PvP when I know a legacy nats DH with a Windforce will pretty much own everyone else. Since I refuse to buy legacy nats, my next goal is to create a pre 1.0.3 barb tank, 10k dps and 2mil eHP, winning by making the other guy ragequit because of boredom.
Reply Quote
.. I theorize that dodge will be GG once PVP arrives, not that armor and resistance will be moot but high dodge will keep our opponents from being able to proc anything on us every time they miss.

With a shield which I found I sit at about 6.5k armor, 800 all resist, 56% CC, ***3 APS*** and over 2800 dex with over 130k dps and without trying I'm about 70% dodge on paper. No one really knows for sure but I imagine other classes/opponents are going to struggle an awful lot trying to sustain/gain resources if they miss 70% or more of their attacks against us.

Monks = GG in pvp ? thoughts?

Edit - Also having so much dodge / mitigation will likely prove that mantra of retribution is still useless and give way to something like backlash or conviction, probably backlash though I'm guessing, especially since at 3aps it deals just over 100% weapon damage and provides additional dodge.

IAS + Dodge + LOH = GG this is what im betting.

60~70% chance of dodge wont help you against 500k dps channeled skills like archons beam//rapidfire//strafe. Dot affects remember got "nerfed" The best thing for for not taking damage is to be invulnerable.

some things i think will be very helpful in pvp are:

-EF/Sledgefist combo
-spirit regen gear/skills while not attacking
-dodge
-high EHP
-serenity will be a needed skill
-pacifism will be very helpful
-other CC skills will probably be helpful as well
-dashing strike depending on how thunderclap fares in a pvp environment...

This one has the gear right. Dodge will be useful no doubt, but even better with this take on a skill build.

+crippling wave (Concussion) (instant 40% damage reduction for 2.5 seconds with resolve)
+Serenity (4 seconds or reflect projectiles)
+ 23 second seven sided strike
+ Conviction (either submission, or Intimidation)
+Exploding Palm (either flesh or creeping) (exploding palm at 100k dps is insane for long duration damage)
+Beacon of ytar for cooldown reduction, Resolve for damage reduction, and something else. This leaves you with 2.5 seconds followed by a 1.8 second window between each invulnerablitlity cooldown.

We still dont know how blind will work in pvp setting, if it work's by making you invulnerable, it would naturally take the place of exploding palm, because it would reduce the amount of total time we are vulnerable to 0.8 seconds.

Anyways that is my take on monk pvp.
Reply Quote
wd will own every other class. why? because i'm a wd, ohhhh yaaaa.

but to be serious for a sec, does anyone else feel like they should change "dmg to elites %" to "% dmg to elites and players" kinda like they did with the old helth globe script by adding pots to it?
Edited by LxstDUB#1750 on 1/6/2013 1:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
Any CC weapons and or gear with STUN or FREEZE on hit will probably be a needed...a large amount of HP...(since I dont believe DPS will be that big of a factor), attack speed will be big so I don't think SKORN users who don't switch will do well...

Life Regen will definitely be needed...

Beyond that I have no idea since we haven't got a clue of what the PATCH NOTES will include...blizz sitting on their backsides haven't provided an ounce of helpful info in that regard so it's pure speculation and guesswork....
Reply Quote
Any CC weapons and or gear with STUN or FREEZE on hit will probably be a needed...a large amount of HP...(since I dont believe DPS will be that big of a factor), attack speed will be big so I don't think SKORN users who don't switch will do well...

Beyond that I have no idea since we haven't got a clue of what the PATCH NOTES will include...blizz sitting on their backsides haven't provided an ounce of helpful info in that regard so it's pure speculation and guesswork....

I like my life regen,I'm at 3.1k now and if my auctions go through I'll be at 4k life regen in time for pvp,I consciously dropped 200+ AR and I haven't even noticed a difference,yeah,mobs hit just a little harder..but my life almost instantly regenerates at 16-19k HP,RD,Poisonous and Desecrator elites are a joke...
Edited by Urizen#1367 on 1/6/2013 2:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
MP 0 is easy when you run into decorator elites. You just need to drop some fabric samples and they happily try and decorate the surrounding areas. Quite enjoyable to watch.

I like my life regen,I'm at 3.1k now and if my auctions go through I'll be at 4k life regen in time for pvp,I consciously dropped 200+ AR and I haven't even noticed a difference,yeah,mobs hit just a little harder..but my life almost instantly regenerates at 16-19k HP,RD,Poisonous and Decorator elites are a joke...
Reply Quote

I like my life regen,I'm at 3.1k now and if my auctions go through I'll be at 4k life regen in time for pvp,I consciously dropped 200+ AR and I haven't even noticed a difference,yeah,mobs hit just a little harder..but my life almost instantly regenerates at 16-19k HP,RD,Poisonous and Desecrator elites are a joke...

When i hit you for 18k damage your life regen wont do a thing for you...

your EHP is only ~110k, which is a fraction of what i have.. you stand no chance unless you have 600+ all res and 40k HP

I think you are in for quite the rude awakening when dueling comes out and you realize people do much more than 4k dps per second.
Reply Quote
Question: are players considered "elites"?
Reply Quote
According to a WD skill, yes.

Dueling will be interesting. I'm sure folks will have some cookie cutter builds a week after 1.07.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]