Diablo® III

My PVP Experience

Being one of the top Diabloprogress PVP rankings I would like to give my experience of how it went. When I first joined I was getting pwned in 1-2 shots by another DH. No matter how much ehp I had it really didn't matter. He had about 300k dps buffed and close to glass canon. I thought gloom would be good but it sucks. He told me that impale was good but it takes some use to to aim. He also said strafe worked good too for others.

So I played for several hours with a lot of different skills and so far these are the best. Keep in mind that I do not have legacy nats and i only have 30 disc.

1. impale/chemical burn
2. strafe/rocket storm (still kills DHs when smokescreen is active)
3. smokescreen/lingering fog (spam the crap out of it if you can)
4. companion/bat (enough for two hatred skills. impale for distance and strafe for close)
5. sentry/spitfire turret (setup by bridge or around barriers)
6. preparation focused mind (wait somewhere safe until cooldown and then go back to fighting)

1. steady aim
2. perfectionist
3. archery

After these skills I started to pwn everyone else. other glass cannon DHs with strafe would die very fast while I still had 3/4 life left. Wizards so far was the easiest to kill. Barbs was also pretty easy except for one. He used sprint and was a throw barb with tons of ehp. took full hatred with strafe to bring him down to 1/4 life. Most of the time he would just run away and heal. WDs with haunt was frustrating cause you can't run away from it and their pets get in the way for your shots. Monk was the toughest with their serenity and seven sided kick. Just have to be patient, make like you going attack and then run. wait for him to waste his serenity and then he's all yours. Most of the time I killed 2-3 at once with strafe.

Best fight so far was with a barb. I set up two sentries around the round barrier. he kept chasing me around it. He would stop and go the other way and so did it. kept on going round and round. the whole time my sentries are killing him until he dies. was laughing my @ss off. so far that's the best strategy against melees. use barriers and have sentries kill them. can't teleport or throw weapons.

One of the dirty tricks I noticed was that some would port back to town to heal each time.

Another tip is to be patient and not run around so much. camp with your sentries and they will tell you if someone is coming close.

Oh and traps are pretty crappy. you must be pretty dumb to step on them. However I did it to test how i would fair with the damage. i stepped on two spike trap/scatter and it did 1/3 of my life. not worth the skill.

Anyways for PVP, my gear is not optimal. Having legacy Nats and a large disc pool IMO would be best. No matter how much ehp and dps you have, once your disc runs out consider yourself dead. Glass canons are fine as long as you are not up against another DH with strafe.
Reply Quote
nice write up
cant wait for patch to play.
Edited by hmk21#1716 on 1/16/2013 2:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
I see you are saying Wizards are the easiest. Did you face any Wizards using Storm Armor? That skill is pretty nasty.
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 1/16/2013 2:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
seems like u could drop archery and add ballistics for more rocket damage
Edited by hmk21#1716 on 1/16/2013 2:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Kadderly
I see you are saying Wizards are the easiest. Did you face any Wizards using Storm Armor? That skill is pretty nasty.

no i haven't. so far all the wizards i played i killed at range and was using diamond skin.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 02:59 PMPosted by hmk21
seems like u could drop archery and add ballistics for more rocket damage

i was thinking that but i also stay ranged for impale. i may take off perfectionist for ballistics though since i don't think it helps much.
Reply Quote
keep steady aim for ranged damage... lose archery for 50% crit damage.... ballistics would add 50% more weapon damage for both spitfire and strafe

seems win win :D
Reply Quote
Yup Blkdrgn I too was a top PvP DH on diabloprogress and felt the same way as you. I geared up for pvp stacking AR, VIT, Armor, DEX and DPS and just found the dueling to be rather disappointing to say the least.

I took a slightly different approach in that i'm selling all my Mempo EHP/DPS gear and going back to what i believe is just a better all around experience.....legacy nats. The fun factor just cant be beat and right now with the way pvp is (Rather dull and boring IMHO) I dont think ill be playing it much until (if) they release some sort of objective gameplay. And if it were actually fun for me i probably would still sell all my EHP gear since its not needed and cant beat a good set of legacy nats anyway.

Anyway good luck and i'm glad you found some fun out of dueling. I'm gonna go back to farming with the hope that i can find something to sell so I can pay down those credit cards I've been dual wielding ;-)
Edited by ulostface#1341 on 1/16/2013 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
I would say having two sets of gear is the best, one for PVE and one for PVP. As of right now I'm not going to go with PVP gear as it's kinda boring. I'd rather be farming and waiting for my next upgrade. that's a lot more fun to me.
Reply Quote

Anyway good luck and i'm glad you found some fun out of dueling. I'm gonna go back to farming with the hope that i can find something to sell so I can pay down those credit cards I've been dual wielding ;-)

Do you still have your Manti?
Reply Quote
I'm sort of sad I sold my old legacy nats.

But having 50+ disc helps a lot. Just pickup a decent nats sight for ~50-100M for the 4 piece bonus imo.
Reply Quote
I think perfectionist will still help with the less 10% disc usage. Not sure how much you are dependent on it but any extra disc is really helpful at this point.
Reply Quote

Do you still have your Manti?

Sorry bud sold it about an hour before I posted. All I have is my Calamity now.
Reply Quote
i wish i had legacy nats but at least i still have my new nat helm and chest which my wife is borrowing.
Reply Quote
Makes me glad I stuck with L4N. I just enjoy the playstyle a whole ton =)
Reply Quote
Toughest matchup has to be up against fellow DHs with leg nats. WDs are a distance second, for me. Overall, the first-day experience of dueling in d3 is pretty refreshing because it comes with a different perspective to d3 - having had to combine familiar and unfamiliar skills to go against the human brain behind our opponents.

Come on, it's kind of unwarranted to beat yourself up about not having the "ideal" gear. It's just a game. Enjoy watching others/yourself get blown up and laugh with friends about it.

If not, take it upon a challenge to regear.
Reply Quote
What main skill would you prefer Devouring arrow or spray of teeth?
Reply Quote
neither. it doesn't do enough damage. it's better to be on target with impale then multiple hungering. 1-2 shot is better than 3-4. if you take too many shots they will just run or port away. if they run towards you...strafe. just use bat to make the hatred back.
Reply Quote
I would not re-gear until it goes live. No telling what's going to happen between now and then guys. I am just having fun and learning builds and matchup strategies.
Reply Quote
yep, I am fairly high diabloprogress pvpranking too to know it doesn't mean a damn thing lol. Everyone gets instant jibbed no matter what.

So far the WD is probably the toughest against DH. Haunt hits hard and continues to dot after WD dies.
]
Wizard with Storm armor could be tough but countered by good zoning with HA and sentries.

So far I still prefer HA/Cluster Arrow/Sentry combo, it's usually 1 hit KO against most classes with 420k dps buffed Cluster.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]