Although there are many individual gearing guides out there, I haven't really seen any thread where the gearing giants (Piffle, Scrapz, Nameless, and some of the others who frequently respond to questions like Demiwraith and Shade) actively engage in an exchange of ideas. The philosophies are largely similar, but there are still some important differences that I think the community would learn from.
I certainly do NOT pretend to know it all - far from it, the biggest reason I'm starting this thread is to learn from everybody! I still have a lot to learn. Reading some of the people above's responses to some posters, I would simply like to confirm that I am steering people in the right direction when helping them, or if I could be doing better.
So with that, I'd like to get the ball rolling by listing what I look for in every slot, why, and then open the floor to all constructive criticism! Keep in mind, that this is for what I'd call a decent budget (50-100 mil). I'm not familiar with how to spend like 800 mil or something, as I've repeatedly stated. Another caveat : prices below imply some time and patience - settling on buyouts will net you much higher prices.
From the top :
Overall, I aim for 600 AR, 40K life, 5K armor, 2.00 APS, 2.X LS and 1000-ish LOH, with 24 MS.
- Helm : Inna's Radiance, 5.5 crit, chosen resist, and either + armor or extra vit, depending on the guy's configuration;
- Vile Wards with 180-200 dex, 40 chosen resist, no vit, for like 2-4 mil;
- Ammy : 25-55ish avg dmg (so an ah filter value of 35), dex, 8+ crit chc, crit dmg (as per Nameless - ammy's have the highest innate possible crit dmg rolls, other than weapons). For most build, I'll also need either a resist or vit roll in there somewhere. I try to prioritize resists cuz it's usually cheaper. 10-20 mil
- Chest. What I actually call the core of the build. To save money, I'll try to skip vit on a couple of pieces (ammy, as stated, and also gloves) so I focus on the chest to get max vit. Lately, I've been finding that the best way to do that, is actually a rare chest. I'm also partial to the Tal Rasha's chest for IAS, but the 200+ vit ones can be expensive. Usually, a 140-ish dex, 220-ish vit chest with 3 sockets, and chosen resist, can be had for like 2-4 mil, I've found, and that's usually what I'll steer guys towards.
Question 1 : You guys think that melee dmg reduction on Inna's is worth it? Because, if you ask me, the only difference (dex numbers being equal) between an Inna's chest and the rares mentioned above will be the melee dmg red. 140-ish vit inna's are already like 7-8 mil, and even with the life %, you're usually ahead in vit with the 220 vit rare chest.
- Belt : That's where I round up vit. Looking for 100 dex, 120 vit, 60 all resist and 40 chosen resist, and either strength or armor (strength is cheaper). I try to get at least 110 combined resist out of the belt, and 120 vit, usually more, with a combined armor of at least 400. 2-4 mil
- Pants : Easy, Inna's with resist. 4-5 mil
- Gloves : Looking for 180+ dex, resist, 8 crit chc and 7 IAS. If I can get vit or armor, great. I'll try searching for strength here as well to at least squeeze some more EHP. Cost : depends on budget.
- Bracers : Dex, 4.5 crit at least, vit or life%, armor and/or strength. First discussion point. : I remember someone (I think it was Demiwraith, but it could have been Shade...almost certain it was one of the two) stating that Strongarms were some of the worst bracers you could get. I remember thinking...."not so sure about that!" if you're on a budget. I think they're actually pretty good! If the guy has more money, it's pretty easy to get ones with more EHP (higher vit numbers), but I also try to get either strength or armor there. Cost : Again, depends on budget.
Ring 1 : Low budget will be rare with avg dmg, dex, 4 crit and IAS. I'll also try to squeeze either resist, life% or vit in there, but only one usually, and only to round up what I don't have. If money allows, of course, Nat's ring with avg dmg (I always look for like 25-55, like I said), and either a resist (cheaper) or vit/life % (more expensive). 4-5 mil for rare, 10-20 mil for Nat's
Ring 2 : Unity. =) And I know this will be discussion point 2. I remember someone (today) mentioning that Unity wasn't very good. Again, I disagree, but that's according to my more budget criteria. That person was saying a Litany with avg dmg would be a better choice. Agreed that the dex will be slightly higher with Litany, and that the resists will be higher on Lit (unless you get an AR Unity with a good roll). That being said, I think that given very similar DPS and EHP numbers, LOH trumps Litany here - is the reduced dmg against elites worth it, again? Also, Unity can round out Vit, which can be quite useful. I know Nameless won't be too keen on using rings for EHP, but with Inna's Pants, if you want to maintain 40K life without spending too much...=) 3-4 mil usually
Boots : Either rares with 200 dex, 100 vit, chosen resist and 12 MS, or the Nat's with 180 dex (I search for 170, I've gotten great deals on 178 dex ones) and stacked resists, the chosen resist filter being set at 40. Again, 180 dex Nat's with vit will cost like 40 mil alone. Mine : usually 10-12 mil.
Weapons : Actually, this is one area where I don't even spend all that much. =) My current MH gives me a ton of dmg, and I paid 1.5 mil for it. I search for 1.4 APS weapons (sword/fist or axe with IAS) with 200 dex, crit dmg and OS, and I usually get a fairly hard-hitting weapon for 1 mil! In fact, I JUST won an auction for a sword with 850-ish DPS, 90 crit dmg and socket that is only a 500 dps reduction from my own - for 200K! (My friend has a 1150 DPS fist with 65-ish crit, and socket, but no stats - it's actually a 700 DPS downgrade for me!) So, in other words, for MH, max dmg, but using dex to save money and for a bit of EHP as well (armor/dodge). 1.5-2 mil, 5 max.
(BTW, I'm wearing the giveaway set as I'm writing this, so don't look at my profile just yet. =))
OH : This is where I stack my sustain. I'm looking for dex (no number in ah filter), LS, LOH (500 in filter), and OS. Again, fast weapon as per above only. This is actually a bit more expensive usually, but I'll still get one for 3-5 mil the vast majority of the time.
As you can see, I try to get max dmg in one weap and sustain in the other - I've found that splitting dmg and sustain ends up with less DPS overall. Also, I'm a fan of a combination of LS and LOH for lower budgets. I understand that a perfect end-game combination would be LS on both weapons, with high crit dmg and socket, but for most of us, that's utterly unattainable financially. Or am I wrong?
Discussion point 3 : Dmg MH and sustain OH, or combination?
Discussion point 4 : LS + LOH, or dual LS?
So, that's it! That's my gearing philosophy, and overall budgeting. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'd especially love to hear how some guys are managing to do MP10 on even smaller budgets. Again, I am very far from knowing it all and will be the first to admit that. This setup will do MP8 fairly comfortably (although, as I have found out recently with some very new lvl 60's - you DO kinda have to know what you're doing...=)), and MP9-10 with the right group.
Let the discussions begin!