Diablo® III

Is BLZ going to nerf black weapons (calamity ... etc)?

BUMP BUMP to get the word out
Reply Quote
Hmm.. I don't think I have it quite right. Working on it... it may not be a buff depending on the nature of the bug. I misunderstood min damage and it's not suppose to be applied twice, but it proves problematic if your min damage range becomes greater than maximum damage.

So far for proper weapons:
Min Damage Range = [Min Damage + Min Base Damage]
Max Damage Range = [Max Damage + Max Base Damage]

I'm still studying it, but I bet what's happening is whenever minimum damage range gets greater than maximum base damage, it increases the max base damage to the minimum damage range + 1. And I bet this check happens before you apply your maximum damage bonus.
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 1/18/2013 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm mathematically Challenged... Could someone please tell me the stats of my bow with the proposed change?
Reply Quote
Nothing would happen to your bow, you are fine. Plus I think most bow users are fine.

01/18/2013 01:24 PMPosted by SAlphas
I'm mathematically Challenged... Could someone please tell me the stats of my bow with the proposed change?
Reply Quote
Hmm.. I don't think I have it quite right. Working on it... it may not be a buff depending on the nature of the bug. I misunderstood min damage and it's not suppose to be applied twice, but it proves problematic if your min damage range becomes greater than maximum damage.

I'm still studying it, but I bet what's happening is whenever minimum damage range gets greater than maximum base damage, it increases the max base damage to the minimum damage range + 1. And I bet this check happens before you apply your maximum damage bonus.

would have been awesome if the buff math was true tho :[ it was the only hope 1handers had for DH's to even compete. Especially those who choose to dual wield because right now its so underpowered versus 2handers and especially the manticore.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Loadingdye
Nothing would happen to your bow, you are fine. Plus I think most bow users are fine.

yep, his bow doesn't match with what i thought :(

but I have in my chest 3 1hand :
1 sword ilvl63
298-653
+192
+354

1 spear ilvl61
571-1103
+291
+415
+28%dam

1 spear ilvl63
491-904
+280
+412

All black weapon
and all these item match with what I said.
Edited by Umbrah#2672 on 1/18/2013 2:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
Absolutely, if blz nerf calamity, manticore would be the only option for DH, which is so f*ying not cool ...

would have been awesome if the buff math was true tho :[ it was the only hope 1handers had for DH's to even compete. Especially those who choose to dual wield because right now its so underpowered versus 2handers and especially the manticore.
Reply Quote
After studying the issue (bought a lot of items), yeah i can confirm this is very likely going to be a nerf. I misunderstood how minimum damage was being applied. For most weapons, there is no DPS error.

The problem is whenever you have to increase the max base damage on a weapon. This happens to occur if the minimum damage range on the weapon is higher than the maximum damage range. But what's happening is that it's only checking if your minimum damage range is greater than your maximum base damage (and not the maximum damage range, which would take into account maximum damage).

Here's some pseudo code to understand the logic:
MinWeaponDmgRange = MinWeaponBaseDmg+WeaponMinDmg;
if(XXXXXXX < MinWeaponDmgRange)
MaxWeaponBaseDmg= MinWeaponDmgRange +1;
end
MaxWeaponDmgRange = MaxWeaponBaseDmg+WeaponMaxDmg;

Now what I think is happening is that right now XXXXXXX = MaxWeaponBaseDmg, rather than MaxWeaponBaseDmg+WeaponMaxDmg. You can check this buy buying items with minimum and maximum damage, in which the minimum damage range doesn't exceed the minimum base damage on a weapon. For those items, there is no error.

So the likely effect is a nerf. For example, zoid's damage is likely to reduce from 1,283.7dps to 1,239.1dps. Sorry guys for being wrong initially. I'm still trying to make sure this is actually it, and I'm about 90% sure this is right.
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 1/18/2013 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think you are all wrong, actually.

From what I can tell, the affix that the "known issues" list is talking about is "minmaxdam" (min-max bonus):

•MinMaxDam Affix is calculating the damage bonus on weapon incorrectly.

If I read this correctly, that applies to the affix that is found on amulets and rings, not the +min or +max damage on weapons. You can see this by going to any Diablo 3 site that lists affixes (minmaxdam is specifically called that, and not +max or +min)

If this truly was something with +min and +max dmg on weapons, ALL weapons that have a tight spread between base minimum and maximum damage values will be nerfed beyond comparison (particularly, crossbows).

I think you guys are worried over nothing.
Edited by Dostovel#1839 on 1/18/2013 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 02:01 PMPosted by Dostovel

I would like so much you're right :)
It's just I have two blackweapon which may be very nerf (almost -10k dps).
But i will follow your advice. I stop here, and i will pray :)
I need to farm, if i have to change my weapons.

Have nice night !
Edited by Umbrah#2672 on 1/18/2013 2:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 02:01 PMPosted by TekkZero
in which the minimum damage range doesn't exceed the minimum base damage on a weapon. For those items, there is no error.
yes that exactly!

in the case of weapons like a revenant bow a large +min affix can't overwrite max since they are so far away in damage spread (80 to 458)

also
you can't get more than about 316 minimum damage affix so 316+80 never gets > 458
so they never get to take advantage of max = min+1 'feature'

which again make me think that the current damage feature IS a bug and should not falsely bump the max damage

I think you are all wrong, actually.

it is possible that the minMaxaffix indeed has nothing to do with weapons..
and so if that is the case.. WTF is up with max = min+1?

I understand as a "bug" +min damage should not be allowing a hellion to reach over 1600 dps, and yet because of the nature of max= min+1 that CAN happen; yet it will not happen with a revenant bow,..

I am presuming they must be talking about the max=min+1 because it is so obviously odd
Edited by zoid#1554 on 1/18/2013 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
from i can understand it seems like a lot of black weapons are gonna hit, is there however any hope that blizzard will bend the rules on legendary black weapons?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
If they "nerf" calamity so none could be over 450 damage they may as well just remove it from the game.
Reply Quote
could you rename the thread to say black weapons, its not just calamity but skorns etc etc all high end non elemental weapons. we need a blue to clarify, i have a thread about it in PTR asking for a blue response with several people doing the math for their skorns and echoing furies etc etc.

Heres my thread on it.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593743038?page=1
Reply Quote
Good idea, done

[quote="75919508623"]could you rename the thread to say black weapons, its not just calamity but skorns etc etc all high end non elemental weapons. we need a blue to clarify, i have a thread about it in PTR asking for a blue response with several people doing the math for their skorns and echoing furies etc etc.

Heres my thread on it.
Reply Quote
Thanks! hopefully we get an answer clarify this
Reply Quote
f yes,

It is not very professional for any company to ignore a simple request from more than 50 customers.

01/18/2013 04:08 PMPosted by METATRON
Thanks! hopefully we get an answer clarify this
Reply Quote
The easiest way to know if you are screwed or not is to check the base weapon damage of your legendary. If your minimum damage on the weapon is greater than the difference of the base weapon's damage maximum vs minimum. So say if you have a Legendary Crag Hammer (Echoing Fury for you home gamers), if your minimum damage on your weapon is greater than 136 (which is base max damage of 296 - base min damage of 160) you are going to get hurt. Higher you are from this difference more you get hurt.

This is absolutely terrible for literally all classes. If you have only elemental weapons count yourself lucky.
Reply Quote
Bunp* for more info
Reply Quote
So how bad am I getting screwed? I literally sold my entire wiz to afford my new calamity. This really sucks. I paid over 800mil.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]