Diablo® III

Updated: Your favorite and least favorite random event?

Did they remove some of the random events that were around back during launch?

I remember specifically the giant trees in fields of misery, the hill/chest in festering woods, and the event between halls of agony and the wardens chamber.

Haven't seen those in months!
Reply Quote
Aaaaand... Jar of Souls!

I remember that first gameplay lauched at 2008, when:
- at the begining, undead mobs charging at the barb, crawling from everywhere;
- at the end, after defeating that huge Siegebreaker, more enemies started to spawn, numbers grew fast;

This Jar of Souls event makes this situation real and playable, it feels like a Nephalem brawling alone against an hellish army!

(Ah, also liked to find the Necromancer on Act II. It´s a simple event, but makes a link to D2 heroes, it would be nice to see the all old 7 classes AND the new 5 interacting in a place or event! :D )
Reply Quote
First off, I hope this becomes a sticky. This is what I personally believe will bring back some good farming groups and branch us out from the Alkaizer (or whatever that run is called).

Secondly, my favorites would be the jar of souls event for reasons already stated and the tree (Old Man tree) event in fields of misery because it is not only good loot but with all that poison, you really are fighting for your life. Another fav is the last stand event or whatever it's called in the festering woods. I just wish it was a elite pack that spawned or more hordes at one time. It's just fun to get all the horde in a bottle neck and rain down all at once on them.

As for dislikes, most all the ones mentioned above but one really sticks out. The act 1 leorics hunting grounds event where u go into the cave to help someone find his brother or something, and after you find his dead brothers body, you get jumped by weak mob and get nothing in reward. This one may have been taken out but I remember that one to be super lame. It would have been awesome if it spawned like two elites and you had to take them out in a certain amount of time or the other brother died and wouldnt get a drop at all (oh yeah, and actually have a decent drop for saving him). Now that would be some challenge. Just would have to look at what time or what elites would be a challenge and fun for many player levels.
Edited by mdboom#1334 on 1/18/2013 3:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
Favorite : Jar of Souls, becouse the more you kill the more they spawn, a really cool way to make or train for maxim massacre, its fun!

least wanted: the event on battlefields, the one where you get tons of heralds of pestilence, and after killing them you get a unique Drake-like-creature. its sorta bunker-ed. (yes i hate it that much)
Reply Quote
Favorite: Jar of souls. I think the theme that we all enjoy here is waves of enemies. Similar random map events I've noticed are Act I in the woods, there will randomly be a large summoning circle that will spawn a large amount of zombies all at once. In Act III, the depths, sometimes you get all these enemies dropping down from the roof. I really enjoy those.

Least favorite: All of the Act 4 events/random locations. The one I recall is a series of floating platforms that cause monsters to drop from the sky when you step on them. The goal is a regular treasure chest in the center of the floating platforms. Bad mob density, poor to non existent rewards.
Edited by Taganov#1343 on 1/18/2013 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
Favored- Jar of souls , crumbling vault, the ancient device, khan dakub.- favorite because of the mystery element plus the rewards.

unfavored- Iron-smith, spyglass, eternal war, necromancer- not too creative or intriguing enough
Reply Quote
My favorite one is the crumbling vault.
Reply Quote
There are a couple of events that are just too slow. You either have to wait for the waves to spawn (Captain Hail & Blacksmith in A3), you have to perform some other action that takes way to long for its cost (Saving the slaves & all the little houses in Oasis in A2) or are just plain boring after a couple of times (Both the farm events in A1).

For events to be fun, they need to be rewarding or refreshing, but preferably both. A good event changes your battle pace, but in a good way.

The blacksmith in A3 for example: it's good that you stop rushing around for a sec, but it's bad that you have the feeling you're wasting your time. It's also pretty boring. You don't want the "yawn.. waiting.." feeling. You want the "any second now" feeling. The anticipation of something huge. The superunique at the end just doesn't feel huge. At all..

Anyways, I really like the Treebeard event. It has some swick loot, but it's an intense fight before you can claim it.
Reply Quote
you only hate the crumbling vault because you play solo. crumbling vault is the best one if you are playing multiplayer!
Reply Quote
View profile
01/18/2013 03:45 PMPosted by dac
you only hate the crumbling vault because you play solo. crumbling vault is the best one if you are playing multiplayer!

Um, I know that in multiplayers, you can use the banner on someone to get back into the dungeon.

The event feels weird because if you go for the objective, you are not rewarded as much.

I play mostly alone because I can put a puzzle ring on my Follower and because of the bonus XP, MF and GF. Team plays could be encouraged if there was more events that rewards you for being in team.

I'll take the Jar of Soul again. The philosophy behind the Jar of Soul is good (IMO). The more you are --- the faster you kill = more monsters = more loots. Those are events that somewhat scale with the number of players!

I would gladly drop my puzzle ring and join public games more often if there was more events like this. Those kind of events are solo-able for the lone wolves out there, but reward better if you are in team.
Edited by DoomBringer#1994 on 1/18/2013 3:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
MY Favourite:
i cont remmeber the name O.o but its the one in the middle of the birdge of Rakkis when u encoutner the captain Haile with al his men down and he is the only one alive. Then u talk to him and demons spawn all over the place while the captain says COOL speeches while fighting alongsside.THIS WAS REALLY well done, I think its the best event cuz you feel the bloodlust of the captain and the massive demosn coming at you set in the invasion of ACT III.
(2 necro events are awesome :D cuz its nostalgic seen a necro fighting with you :D)

Least favorite:
there is an alchemist whose brother has been kidnapped by the cultists in act I as far as I remember. After you finish the quest, he only gives you a POTION , 1 POTION AS REWARD, I mean, the dude is a freaking alchemist, he should give 5 Pot min... I think its very dissapointing.

Honor list:
Gharbad the Strong = AWESOME

I wanted Act IV to be more epic :S they're just tasteless... I mean, its the final chapter of diablo III , its the WAR IN THE HEAVENS... there should be more drama, more emotion, more events, I dont know, maybe another captured Angels like Auriel, I mean not an archangel, but some random npc angel who gives you afeter save him a little boost of attack I dunno . That would be nice, having a Event rescuing an angel and after you save him, he gives you the buff of 3 shrines :). Other one can be a small room full of angels praying and u must defend them while demons try to kill em all :D

those would be real epic events :D
Edited by Thanatos#1349 on 1/18/2013 4:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
MY Favourite:
i cont remmeber the name O.o but its the one in the middle of the birdge of Rakkis when u encoutner the captain Haile with al his men down and he is the only one alive. Then u talk to him and demons spawn all over the place while the captain says COOL speeches while fighting alongsside.THIS WAS REALLY well done, I think its the best event cuz you feel the bloodlust of the captain and the massive demosn coming at you set in the invasion of ACT III.
(2 necro events are awesome :D cuz its nostalgic seen a necro fighting with you :D)

I just did this one. Completely agree. Very fitting scene.

Honestly, we just like to kill LOTS of monsters in this game. More events with that.

The events with one singular monster, never liked them that much. Mostly because the monster is always piss easy. (Then again, most of the game is now... lol)
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 1/18/2013 4:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah I agree on the Act 4 ones are the least favorite. They serve no purpose except to get the achievement. A better use would be that one of them (randomly) is a dead end and all the others had rewards and elites. This way theres actual reason to go inside whenever you play Act 4.

Like the Tree event as its fairly challenging as well as Jar of Souls.
Reply Quote
My favourites are all the event dungeons that are more than 2 levels deep. Really lets you get in and enjoy a deep dungeon crawl instead of the static overworld runs. Honourable mention to the Act 4 random events, since it breaks up the linear progression of such a small act.
Reply Quote
I like the purple tree event that starts when you open the resplendent chest in act 1. it is interesting because it is the only time you get to fight a unique tree. and to make things even more interesting, there are a million other trees that attack form all directions. this fight can actually be dangerous because the trees have poison effects. Plus, if you are lucky enough to play with me, I'll lure a yellow and a blue elite pack to he front entrance of the tree's grove immediately after you open the resplendent chest. That makes for an EPIC battle!

I also like the dungeon in that same level where you fight the family of ghosts. I always do that dungeon. But I don't like it for the ghosts. Instead, after killing the ghosts, there is a little hallway that can spawn 6-7 of the mothers, who in turn, spawn a GREAT number of zombies. that turns into another epic battle.

The one I hate the most is the guy who crafts the swords in the keep depths. It just doesn't make any sense. He is in the middle of a dungeon filled with monsters, and decides that is the safest place to forge weapons. Then he creates enough weapons to arm an entire castle in a matter of seconds. Meanwhile, the skeletons choose that exact moment to attack. hmmm. However, the skeleton attack is basically pointless because you can simply leave the area. When you do, the skeletons get confused and just stand around. Then the blacksmith guy finishes his job with all the monsters staring at him. I guess the dungeon IS the safest place to forge swords...until the place returns. then the skeleton suddenly decide that it is now time to kill and start attacking. lastly, the skeletons, including the elite are so easy to kill that the event is basically a joke. and worst of all, there is no reward since you get no loot and no nephalim valor for completing it. The elite skeleton just makes the whole thing worse because he doesn't drop anything of value and doesn't provide nephalim bonus and is not any different from an actual elite pack which would do those things.

To make players want to do an event, it must provide loot/nephalim. to make the events fun/memorable, they either need to provide a unique monster to fight or a unique treasure (the tomb of sardar comes to mind... it is a GIANT resplendent chest which makes it memorable...though that event didn't make may favorites list because the chest doesn't really provide that much extra loot).

Also, if you make an event exceptionally rare (i'm thinking of the difficulty of finding a gibbering gemstone), then the reward should be a guaranteed legendary. now THAT would be memorable.
Reply Quote
I love all the events in Act 1 and Act 2! To bad I can't farm these Acts since the mob density is to low so it's not rewarding enough. :(
Reply Quote
Least favorite: All of the Act 4 events/random locations. The one I recall is a series of floating platforms that cause monsters to drop from the sky when you step on them. The goal is a regular treasure chest in the center of the floating platforms. Bad mob density, poor to non existent rewards.

This event alone makes me avoid act4
Reply Quote
Least Favorite:

Dargon, that treacherous cur.
Because it reminded me how long I was stuck in act 1 pre 1.03.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]