Diablo® III

Updated: Your favorite and least favorite random event?

Can't help but notice, Blizz, a LOT of people like Jar of Souls. If we got to hae a break once in a while to decomp/vendor loot, I could easily do that all day. (I'm not kidding. It's much more awesome than any of the bosses, and much more interesting than ransacking a map trying to find things to kill.)
There's this event in the fields of misery where you clear some borrowers off a farm and the farmer takes you in to "meet" his "wife". It's my favorite for all the cheesy puns.

"My wife handles the business side of things, she's got a good head on her shoulders."

I thought it was more like "She's been a bit ill lately. (Her head falls off.) Oh, she's nodded off..."
Edited by Sandman366#1292 on 1/20/2013 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Updated a little :) Feel free to comment!
Reply Quote
Favorite Random Event: Blizz dropping Jay Wilson and then Rob Pardo trying to defend him.
Least Favorite Random Event: Error 37
Reply Quote
The events don't offer anything over an Act 3 run therefor they are not rewarding and there only appeal is seeing them the first time. Events were conceptually a bad idea when you know people will be finding optimal ways of obtaining loot and exp and you know you can't make an even the best for either of those. Bad idea for a Diablo game.
Reply Quote
View profile
So I found this super-rare mini-event in Arreat Crater level 1:
The Anvil of Sin.

Upon activation, it spawned a dozen tormented stingers, followed by another dozen fiery ghouls, followed finally by Malthous, the Smith of Sin. I've played the game for over 900 hours, and this is the second time I've ever encountered the anvil (the first time was on Normal difficulty). Naturally, I expected this to be some sort of reskinned resplendent chest (I had completely forgotten what happened way back in Normal). I activated the anvil a second time to get my reward. The sword dropped into the anvil, and out popped...nothing. A big fat nothing.

Words fail me.

For the record, this is how it's supposed to look (fast forward to the end):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQdc6N5tVuo

Anyway, I think it's safe to say which is my least favorite event. Good thing it only happens on average every 450 hours.
Reply Quote
Jar of souls is easily the best. I would love to see an arena like this, where it doesnt stop until you die. More and more guys each wave, harder, as well. Getting to the point where each mob has affixes like the blue packs, so eventually you get a wave that has 100 guys all fire linked.
Reply Quote
my personal favorite one is not an official event
but in Act 1 old tristram road, I love how suddenly once in a while a group of zombies appear out of a blue smokish effect
no rewards no NV but amazing ambient and mood contribution
more of those in the future please ;)
Reply Quote
View profile
my personal favorite one is not an official event
but in Act 1 old tristram road, I love how suddenly once in a while a group of zombies appear out of a blue smokish effect
no rewards no NV but amazing ambient and mood contribution
more of those in the future please ;)

That event is in the Weeping Hallow, not the old Tristam road (if we're referring to the same one). There's around 22 zombies emerging from the ground once you walk close to the corpses. It's a nice event, and I take my time to do it when I'm there. Decent density and requires no backtracking. Definitely worth it!
Reply Quote
I'd have to say my favorite is probably wheel of misfortune... I love the randomness, and originality. I also love Jar of Souls, and crumbling vault. Crumbling vault is very rewarding (usually a goblin, a few packs, and a resp at the end), and Jar of Souls is plain out fun.

I really don't it when i do an event, and I have to kill a purple monster at the end who drops 7 blues in ML 5. That's why I don't like the one in act 2 where you open the resp and the purple guy pops out. If I'm going to do a longer event, I want to be more rewarded, or it feels like a waste of time.
Reply Quote
My favorite event is also the Jar of Souls but there's a few that I like because they enhance the story a bit and give us something different, like Last Stand of the Ancients.

I enjoy the Blaze of Glory event because it fits in well with the story, I thought. It might be a little better if more monsters spawned or perhaps like the Jar of Souls, monsters just keep coming in greater numbers. It would be cool if reinforcements showed up at the last minute (since you've already cleared the bridge up to that point) and the soldiers push forward with you to rescue their captain. Maybe include the other named soldiers around the keep, like the Sergeant holding the entrance to the keep, the Lieutenant who yells at you to turn the winch for the catapult, etc. After all, demons are supposed to be pouring out of hell aren't they?

The events that spawn the dungeons are often best though to give us something different to run, but as others have stated, the timed dungeon in the desert seems to be a waste to try to actually do it (I still haven't found the stupid treasure room).
Reply Quote
Favorite is the El-shilad worms from dune. Its one of the few purple mobs that seems to have any purpose. The loot on purples should be same as elites.

Least favorite are the Oasis quests like the guy tied up to a pole who gives you a crappy blue for a reward. Or the similar one where you untie multiple guards. You put one next to an exploding poison plant just to annoy us because you cant move while untieing. No big deal now but they used to almost 1-shot kill.
Reply Quote
j wilson leaving is so far the best ever
Reply Quote
My favorite would the cannibal in A2. It was the first event that took me a while to finish. I was in normal difficulty when I stumbled upon it and the dude keeps on life stealing my pets.

Least favorite would be that looking glass quest in A3. It was just bland.

I hope they add in more events. Multi level dungeon events that expand on the lore would be awesome.

For fun, they could add more levels to Whimsyshire. Level 2 would look like D2 graphics, level 3 would be D1 and the final level is the actual cow level populated with undead cows back for vengeance. The final boss could be the Cow King or just a random guy in a cow suit.
Reply Quote
View profile
My favorite would the cannibal in A2. It was the first event that took me a while to finish. I was in normal difficulty when I stumbled upon it and the dude keeps on life stealing my pets.

Least favorite would be that looking glass quest in A3. It was just bland.

I hope they add in more events. Multi level dungeon events that expand on the lore would be awesome.

For fun, they could add more levels to Whimsyshire. Level 2 would look like D2 graphics, level 3 would be D1 and the final level is the actual cow level populated with undead cows back for vengeance. The final boss could be the Cow King or just a random guy in a cow suit.

My hopes are that one day, while playing in public game, we come across a random event that makes us work as a team to complete it. We need some random events that require some investment. Perhaps in the XPAC, we'll get some NPCs in town giving us random quests. That would be fun, IMO. Just like in Diablo 1, the Butcher and the poisoned water... you knew the quest spawned because it affected the town!

One of my best time in Diablo 3 was pre-inferno nerf. I was in a public game and we were discussing how we would beat Rakanoth. It took us many, many tries, but we eventually overcame him. We timed our time perfectly to perma-stun him and win :)
Reply Quote
as long as we can' loot anything in these events , they are pointless.

Except the vault and the worm i don't see any other event that rewards us.

Plz make random dungeons that we can farm !
Reply Quote

That event is in the Weeping Hallow, not the old Tristam road (if we're referring to the same one). There's around 22 zombies emerging from the ground once you walk close to the corpses. It's a nice event, and I take my time to do it when I'm there. Decent density and requires no backtracking. Definitely worth it!

My favorite is this too, especially I pull in the elite/champion grotesques nearby.

Least favorite, not despised, since I can just skip if I wanted, will be the field of misery, outside the cave of slaughter where when you flip the corpse at the entrance, a bunch of frogs(leepers) pop out of ground to attack you. And they are 'in' ground whenever you attack them zzzz
Reply Quote
Favorite - Like everyone else, Jar of Souls.
Least Favorite - I'd say many are tied, any event that gives very little reward in exp or grants zero NV stack. Not really an event, but that soldier lying on the ground in the fields of slaughter in Act 3 is completely useless. Click on him and with his dying breath he says something like "I.. don't need this anymooore..uuuuhhhh". Then he drops a white item. Sweet. I don't even get the chance to tell him that I don't need his useless item either because he's dead.

I think the main thing to consider for events is that in every single event the mobs give experience - no exceptions. It makes no sense that protecting the blacksmith in Act 3 Keep Depths gives you no experience while killing all the skeletons in the jar of souls event does.
Also as others have mentioned in this thread, rewards need to vary. There should be events where you are picking one of the affixes on a rare item, getting a gem higher than flawless square (not saying you have to go all the way to Radian Star), getting a big haul of crafting mats, being rewarded a huge pile of gold 50k or more, getting a guaranteed legendary (gasp!), etc. The events also need to vary in length and difficulty so an event where you are rewarded with a pile of gold is quick/easier than an event where you get a legendary item.
Reply Quote
Favorite - Like everyone else, Jar of Souls.
Least Favorite - I'd say many are tied, any event that gives very little reward in exp or grants zero NV stack. Not really an event, but that soldier lying on the ground in the fields of slaughter in Act 3 is completely useless. Click on him and with his dying breath he says something like "I.. don't need this anymooore..uuuuhhhh". Then he drops a white item. Sweet. I don't even get the chance to tell him that I don't need his useless item either because he's dead.

That guy droped a skorn and another time a soj for me. :D
Just like almost every1 else i love the jar of souls. Like mentioned above, a map where you get unlimited waves of mobs whoud be a big+ for the game. However i think it`s too much then their servers can take.
Edited by virtloop27#2411 on 1/21/2013 8:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
I "like" all of them, but my only request would be to make them "random events". Right now, they are in predictable locations and are pretty much just "stand here and kill stuff coming to me" or a mini area.
Reply Quote
I pretty much like all the random events and I will trigger them if I come across it. Even though it slows down my exping time lol.

Hate most = Act 2 - The Crumbling Vault! STUPID EVENT!! The duration is too short and the rewards are crap!
Edited by Fireblade#1295 on 1/21/2013 8:48 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]