Diablo® III

Depressed after PvP

DH's can't be hit at all with their continuous smokescreen, run faster than me, hit 3x to 5x harder than me (yes.. i met a 500k dps dh), one-hit ko's me with a crit or at least takes out most of my life with that bleed thing, or stunlocks me with impale or whatever... all while being invisible and out of reach most of the time. Every once in a while I would get lucky and catch one with my seven sided kick, but even then they sometimes manage to evade it.

WD's have some insane skill that bleeds me for all my life, triggers Near Death Experience, and continues to kill me all with one cast. They're slightly better than DH's in that I at least get to land a few hits, but their HP seems to be stuck at a fraction and often times they disappear and reappear elsewhere. Being turned into a pig was no fun either and trying to reach the WD through his crowd of minions was hard too.

Barbarians and wizards weren't that bad, but some of the barbs were just unkillable. Wizards were ok once I learned not to chase them through their blizzard storms. The lightning bolt from above was just stupid on high dps characters though.

Someone please inspire me with a monk that works. 100k dps is garbage now in the PvP world, but it seems like we're cursed with low damage until we can afford multi-100-million gold weapons/gear. i used to feel good about being able to tank monsters, but none of these tanking skills are worth anything versus players.

Is the monk even viable now with mediocre gear? I've stuck through 80 plus levels of paragon exclusively playing the monk because it was fun, but PvP as a monk is really really depressing.
Edited by Myrthr#1471 on 1/19/2013 1:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Dashing strike - stun rune followed by wave of light if they live serenity wave spam into sss is my plan for pvp but I'm not on the test realm.

I think pvp is one area where monks that build WoL will actually do better then cyclone builds. IAS isn't nearly as useful in PvP when people can get out of your attack range very fast. It will however be good in monk vs monk in d2 their was smite vs smite and zeal vs zeal duels that will probably start up on d3 with monks.

I think monks are really lacking in evasion skills compared to dh / wd so you kinda have to use our gap closer skills and just chase people down. It's going to come down to timing.
Reply Quote
I used:

FoT:TC for teleporting/closing distances
Dashing strike (reduced cost) - for closing distances

Bells for high damage attack
Serenity for immunity
SSS:Assaut for teleporting/temporary immunity/high damage attack
MoE:Divine Protection for extra protection

passives:
STI for armor
Exalted soul for extra spirit to spam with
Pacifism to deal with the excessive cc abilities

Other observations:
- Cyclones are a thing of the past. Good bye to half my effective dps.
- Our vaunted OWE has no place since everything else seemed more critical to me.
- Lashing tail kick's damage is way too low to be useful.
- I had hopes Exploding palm would be similar to the WD skill, but the damage isn't even remotely close. Has there even been one death due to this yet?
- I thought the 80% slow rune on Exploding Palm would help, but it really doesn't. DH still zip around even walking normally. Everyone just uses some skill to get away.
- Mystic ally was fun for a bit. The guy would help you sniff out enemies and harass them. In the end, I didn't find them helpful enough to warrant a slot.
- Damage reflect levels on Mantra of Retribution is so low that i wish they'd just remove the skill and be done with it. Is there even a use for this skill for PvP/PvE??
- Inner Sanctuary is just wtf. What are you going to use it for? blocking paths?? It even sucks for doing that, not that anyone would be insane enough to waste a slot equipping that skill.

As far as I can tell, monks are a mess. They only seemed powerful on Day 1 because SSS was a brainless instakill and the other classes didn't know what they were doing yet.
Edited by Myrthr#1471 on 1/19/2013 1:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
DH's can't be hit at all with their continuous smokescreen, run faster than me, hit 3x to 5x harder than me (yes.. i met a 500k dps dh), one-hit ko's me with a crit or at least takes out most of my life with that bleed thing, or stunlocks me with impale or whatever... all while being invisible and out of reach most of the time. Every once in a while I would get lucky and catch one with my seven sided kick, but even then they sometimes manage to evade it.

WD's have some insane skill that bleeds me for all my life, triggers Near Death Experience, and continues to kill me all with one cast. They're slightly better than DH's in that I at least get to land a few hits, but their HP seems to be stuck at a fraction and often times they disappear and reappear elsewhere. Being turned into a pig was no fun either and trying to reach the WD through his crowd of minions was hard too.

Barbarians and wizards weren't that bad, but some of the barbs were just unkillable. Wizards were ok once I learned not to chase them through their blizzard storms. The lightning bolt from above was just stupid on high dps characters though.

Someone please inspire me with a monk that works. 100k dps is garbage now in the PvP world, but it seems like we're cursed with low damage until we can afford multi-100-million gold weapons/gear. i used to feel good about being able to tank monsters, but none of these tanking skills are worth anything versus players.

Is the monk even viable now with mediocre gear? I've stuck through 80 plus levels of paragon exclusively playing the monk because it was fun, but PvP as a monk is really really depressing.

You're doing it wrong....

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac119/Setzer1979/Screenshot017_zpsf01a5f35.jpg
Reply Quote
You're doing it wrong....

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac119/Setzer1979/Screenshot017_zpsf01a5f35.jpg

Your build is exactly what I just wrote down in Post#3 (almost exactly. I can't make out the Mantra), except I'm using bells for more damage instead of Breath of Heaven. I suspect Bells/SSS/Serenity/FoT will become the new PvP cookie cutter, mostly because the other stuff suck.

Besides, I asked for an example of a monk that owns PvP. not just the build, but someone who has managed to make the build work for them.
Edited by Myrthr#1471 on 1/19/2013 2:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Smoke Screen and Gloom are just to op. DH's can almost literally keep these skills up 24//7.. lol How could anyone deal with that?

On top of that they can tumble if they really wanted too, and bind you in place with traps!

I'm not on Test Server, but just having a lvl 60 DH and know how they work... I can tell they will be a force to be wrecking with. GL Monks in Test Server. ^_^
Reply Quote
DH's are not so bad imo. They get 3 seconds of invisibility and then have to wait 1 sec to use ss again. I use tr, wol w/ reduced cost, and sss w/ tele mostly. Most of my duels with dh's go:

Wol them, they pop ss
pop serenity w/ 4sec rune
Wait for them to come out of ss, then sss on them for instakill.

If you're having trouble hitting them with sss when they appear, you can use blinding flash to see where they are.

If they survive my sss, I might be in trouble. I usually tr away and kite with occasional bells for a minute.
Reply Quote
I really hate to give this away but...

You can blind a DH or WD when they are invisible, DH cant recast Gloom(?) when he's blind.

Backlash can damage DH and other un-targetable opponents even while you're CC'd

I dropped SSS for the cheap bell, since it has no cool down. Flash + Bell = HUGE AOE / GG
Reply Quote
BIggest problem is, we can have the right set up, but after 1 death you start with a slither of spirit so you have enough to do one move.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 07:44 AMPosted by Doomsauce

I understand ss lasts for 1.5s with lingering fog and they can cast in 2s, meaning we have a 0.5s window to do anything.

I've been practicing all night with a friend, and I can almost time when they will reappear now. However, the invisibility is wreaking havoc with me since I cannot predict where he will end up. I think I've only guessed correctly one out of 20 times which direction he'll end up in and caught him with the afterstrike of my bells.

And I did manage to SSS him a few times in that 0.5s window. Let me tell you, it doesn't work. They can shadow almost immediately and most of your hits will land in air. SSS will not work unless the dh messes up.

The blind thing I have to try tomorrow...

Gosh, and would they please eliminate that annoying end animation of dashing strike? i don't care what pose they strike since I can't see it anyway. Just let me use my abilities. I've been trying to chain serenity at the end of DS all night and 100% of the time the DH's hungering arrow or impale would reach me first before I could pop it. @#$%
Edited by Myrthr#1471 on 1/19/2013 10:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 10:19 AMPosted by Myrthr

I understand ss lasts for 1.5s with lingering fog and they can cast in 2s, meaning we have a 0.5s window to do anything.

I've been practicing all night with a friend, and I can almost time when they will reappear now. However, the invisibility is wreaking havoc with me since I cannot predict where he will end up. I think I've only guessed correctly one out of 20 times which direction he'll end up in and caught him with the afterstrike of my bells.

And I did manage to SSS him a few times in that 0.5s window. Let me tell you, it doesn't work. They can shadow almost immediately and most of your hits will land in air. SSS will not work unless the dh messes up.

The blind thing I have to try tomorrow...

Gosh, and would they please eliminate that annoying end animation of dashing strike? i don't care what pose they strike since I can't see it anyway. Just let me use my abilities. I've been trying to chain serenity at the end of DS all night and 100% of the time the DH's hungering arrow or impale would reach me first before I could pop it. @#$%

Yea, DS animation scales with attack speed, I dont have an animation anymore. :D
Reply Quote
Armor, dodge and resists already have soft cap and hard cap
while critical chance, critical damage and increased attack speed do not.

If crit chance, crit damage and IAS had soft caps and hard caps it would be much more balanced.

Armor and resists soft cap : 50-69% mitigation
Armor and resists hard cap : >70% mitigation
Dodge soft cap : 33-49% dodge
Dodge hard cap : >50% dodge

Critical chance cap should be : Soft cap at 33-49% range and hard cap from 50% and over.
Critical damage soft cap should be in the 200-299% range with hard cap at 300%.
IAS soft cap should be 50-69% speed of weapon and hard cap >70% speed of weapon.

By soft cap I mean when the diminishing returns begin.
By hard cap I mean when the VERY diminishing returns apply.

OR JUST REMOVE ARMOR/RESISTS/DODGE CAPS AT ALL
if theres no limit to damage, why do you limit our defenses?
Reply Quote
..Someone's mad.

I for one am very glad that I can at least knock the crap out of other players, even if it's unbalanced.
Edited by Solo#1906 on 1/19/2013 4:33 PM PST
Reply Quote

Yeah I've probably just been playing mediocre dh's since I've only been playing in public games. I've only played one legacy nat's setup so far and it was legit, but I still got in plenty of kills since his damage was a bit low so I could take a few hits without serenity.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]