Diablo® III

Dear Director: returning the depth to Diablo

the skill trees in d2 were actually the part I hated most. (right before Stamina. lolwut?) I wouldn't mind seeing a skill point here and there to boost a particular attribute (call em attribute points instead) but If they went back to trying skills to a tree (which they wont) I'd stop playing. Skill trees in diablo just sucked. not to say the idea of skill trees is a bad idea... but it just was horrible in d2 imo.
Reply Quote
Nothin wrong with skill trees and user defined stats imo. It gives replay factor where you would want to try new builds and such by leveling up new chars. This also meant that low level items actually had WORTH.

But having said that: they also added skill/stat reset in a recent patch for the den of evil quest (3 total per char for norm/nm/hell) + tokens that drop from bosses that can be combined for a skill/stat reset token so changing skills/stats is pretty easy in D2 so I don't buy that arguement one bit.
Edited by fixit#1698 on 1/24/2013 4:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
What about bring Diablo 2 ranks back?

For example after reach paragon level 100 give you like 40 more levels (same exp from 99-100) and every level will grand you a title rank like Slayer ( first 10 levels after paragon 100) Champion (20 levels after parg 100) Patriarch ( 30 after ) and Conqueror ( 40 levels )

As a reward for level it up every rank level you will recive 5 free stats points and you are going to be able to increase the stats that you want ( something that this game needs, give players free will to decide about their own chars ) also if you are gonna said that how about if i get wrong with the stats and mess it up. Well you can also add a Retrain system that could go in tyrael.

The reason for this is what is going to be next after you reach paragon 100 with your chars? i mean this game dont give you a reason to keep it playing after that and with the new patch leveling up will be easier that is now...and i mean alot! easier.

Its just an idea.
Reply Quote
I hate how every combat ability is dependent on weapon damage, but I'm not sure how well magical spells' base damage would work in the D3 system.

I mean, let's say the first combat ability of a Wizard (Magic Missile) has to be "balanced enough" so that it doesn't steamroll Act 1 Normal by itself. But no matter how much Intel you stack, Magic Missile base damage would be ultimately useless in later acts because it was balanced according to Act 1 Normal (imagine using a Lvl 1 Charged bolt in Act 5 Normal in pre-synergy D2).

The feasible way to fix this IMO is that we could have the spells' damage scale from difficulty to difficulty, have it increase based on your level, or have it that Intel increases the damage of lower level spells more. But with all this in mind, it would be hard to balance a single ability when there are just so much moving parts. And with moving parts, you don't have consistency. Then we have the rune variations, etc, etc and it will be simpler said than done.

Yeah, there is a lot that has to happen to make it work. Remember, before they had % weapon damage scaling they did try to use level scaling (skill damage was still flat but the numbers increased by level). The problem they faced was with the scaling at 60 itself since gear and itemization did not allow the numbers to scale with higher ilvl. This was a numbers problem it evolved entirely from the stat ramping effect nothing more.

By removing the insane inflation of attribute points the natural damage levels, and monster HP by extension, the skills don't need to scale as rapidly bringing its damage into a range that would be manageable by %spell/%arcane damage affixes and boosts by things like int.

01/24/2013 03:11 AMPosted by brkdwnxx
the skill trees in d2 were actually the part I hated most. (right before Stamina. lolwut?) I wouldn't mind seeing a skill point here and there to boost a particular attribute (call em attribute points instead) but If they went back to trying skills to a tree (which they wont) I'd stop playing. Skill trees in diablo just sucked. not to say the idea of skill trees is a bad idea... but it just was horrible in d2 imo.

Make no mistake, I'm not calling for the return of skill trees just skill points. The tree is actually an unnecessary concept which adds more balancing concerns than value to the player build. We can retain the "pool" approach to skills.

In fact, this brings up the new idea of not awarding skill points until past level 30. This was players aren't forced into spending skill points until they've had the chance to try all the skills and are comfortable with them. They won't feel bad about investing in the "wrong" skill and it'll add more reward to the second half of leveling. Of course, the game could just award a free skill reset with each clear of the game which would accomplish the same thing as for the system in the OP.
What about bring Diablo 2 ranks back?

For example after reach paragon level 100 give you like 40 more levels (same exp from 99-100) and every level will grand you a title rank like Slayer ( first 10 levels after paragon 100) Champion (20 levels after parg 100) Patriarch ( 30 after ) and Conqueror ( 40 levels )
Its just an idea.

I certainly think that Paragon needs more reward for it to actually feel rewarding enough to warrant the effort. Bringing back the titles would be really awesome.
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 1/24/2013 4:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvThjiE038

What happens to this game WOW !
Reply Quote
What's the point of fixing anything in this game if the drops are always crap. Blizzard promised high magic find would be a cure all yet I am at 291 which is only 9 from maximum and i still get garbage all the time and the amount i get is no different than when i was at 150. People should not have to buy all their equipment at the AH. Legenday is nothing more than crap yellow rares with a different color. Let's face if untill Blizzard fixes so the drops are again worth the time of picking them up this game will be a boring farming never ending trek where the carrot is never to be had. At least for most of us.
Reply Quote
What's the point of fixing anything in this game if the drops are always crap..

That is what many of the ideas presented here would actually address. The primary stat factor and the completely gear-centric nature of the game has resulted in crap drops.

All the suggestions I've read that only tackle fixing drops would only seem good for a week, a band-aid on a broken leg. If you made it so that primary stat roles had "better" min values in the RNG, class specific gear always had primary stat (not sure if this is case already), legendary's always rolled vit and main stat, crit more regular etc. - would be great at first but very soon we would be in the situation again were we can't find upgrades, content would seem even easier, and back to these forums saying drops are bad.

Also, is it just me or are there a large number of people who think it should be "easy" to find stuff to sell on RMAH?
Reply Quote
I actually like your idea of being able to stack more in the existing skills. I remember that in the earlier Diablo, we could stack onto skills, so as to make some of them more powerful. I wish they had introduced it with the paragon patch.

I remember one of the earlier Diablo's having the skill tree.....I wonder why they scraped that and made it a linear kind of upgrade path. I would love to have some skills from other classes as well. Then PvP would have made a lot of sense, with even barbs having access to Monk or WD skills and vice versa. Maybe it would help build diversity as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]