Diablo® III

Dear Director: returning the depth to Diablo

Indeed. I still look back on that with the fondest of memories. I fell in love with D3 because of videos like that one. I saw so much of D2 in it.

i also thought that there was nothing wrong with these initial concepts.

Or these concepts:
http://youtu.be/GR1LTYsGM9U?t=2m10s
(Warning audio sync is bad)
Reply Quote
@Rufus
yeah, traits: the team details them while emphasizing how much character customization through player decisions is core to Diablo, and then... just drop the entire concept and release the game without any character customization.
I can't figure out how this happened, how the team changed this entire philosophy without realizing it was wrong.
Reply Quote
No blue is going to read that overly-long-waste-of-3-hours-of-your-life. Not without a lot of caffeine and no weapons in the immediate area.

They're not going to make you a D2 copy. D2 is still running. You can go buy it for 20 bucks.

It's called fanboy fanaticism. They have support groups for it.

It's a good laugh at your obviously deep reflections though. If you type that much and aren't getting paid for it you're doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
This would require a lot of time and work from Blizzard, but after all we waited for this game and some fixes, i think most of us would definitely love to wait if they came with a patch like this
Reply Quote
dude all they have to do is just give us this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvThjiE038

nothing more this is what Diablo 3 was originally.

Looks so awesome :(
Edited by Dalmatian666#2463 on 1/21/2013 7:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
Really drawn out post - couldn't read all of it...However, all I really want to see is...

- Skill ladder instead of skill runes (i do not see the progression fo the runes scaling with the progression of the character - there are lower runes that work better than the higher level ones),
- Attribute ladder instead of standard DEX, VIT, etc. points at each level
- Weapon ddamage types (frost weapons freeze enemies, fire weapons ignite enemies, etc.) where reall elemental damage means something,
- Better gem options and more slots,
- Better gear instead of dependency of just primary stats,
- Charms and Runewords
- Better crafted items (although coming in 1.07 - so that may be good)
- Better diversity in builds,
- Dyes for set and legendary items

I do like the fact that you do not need scrolls or someone elese to ID items and I do like the fact that you do not need scrolls for the town portal.
Edited by Myrmidon#1640 on 1/21/2013 8:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
OP, judging by your profile it is clear you have not been able to get into this game, which I'm sure is very disappointing for you considering you seem to be a big Diablo 2 fan.

However, it is hard to take your long winded analysis seriously because it comes across with arrogance and selfishness. The arrogance part has already been addressed, so there is no need to reiterate.

Your perspective is selfish because you haven't even grazed the surface of Diablo 3 (judging by the profile i see, at least) yet you demand changes, completely ignoring the fact that many people have invested heavily into this game, presumably because they like it!

Sorry that D3 has let you down, but this ship has sailed, and I sincerely hope the developers continue to ignore the unrealistic pleas from you and others who won'tbe happy with anything less than a full scale redesign of the game.
Reply Quote
"fact that many people have invested heavily into this game, presumably because they like it! "

wtf are you talking about. Do you realize how many people bought this game just because of diablo 1 and diablo 2 and how many of them for sure wont ever buy any expansion or any other blizzard game from now on just because of how miserably diablo 3 failed for them? Every mistake could be undone in the following expansion cause this game seriously needs a massive overhaul. It will be the same thing like with the current ladder / non-ladder diablo 2. You can still play the current game if you like it and let millions of us buy an expansion and enjoy the real diablo experience.
Reply Quote
OP, judging by your profile it is clear you have not been able to get into this game, which I'm sure is very disappointing for you considering you seem to be a big Diablo 2 fan.

However, it is hard to take your long winded analysis seriously because it comes across with arrogance and selfishness. The arrogance part has already been addressed, so there is no need to reiterate.

Your perspective is selfish because you haven't even grazed the surface of Diablo 3 (judging by the profile i see, at least) yet you demand changes, completely ignoring the fact that many people have invested heavily into this game, presumably because they like it!

Sorry that D3 has let you down, but this ship has sailed, and I sincerely hope the developers continue to ignore the unrealistic pleas from you and others who won'tbe happy with anything less than a full scale redesign of the game.

It's true, I couldn't really get into the game. I saw very quickly the major flaws that were holding the game back not long after my first clear of normal. I realized all of the things that would prevent me from enjoying it a second and third time. I even tried other characters to see if I was right or not. It turns out I was. I tried to take my main as far as I could to see if my suspicions about itemization and builds was correct and sure enough I was correct again.

Many others continued on despite their ambivalence hoping for better but I've played many games and far more D2 than most as well as uncountable RPGs. I couldn't ignore the flaws and as much as I wanted to enjoy it I just couldn't. My time is valuable in particular my life was extraordinarily busy around the game's release and I couldn't justify the playtime when I couldn't honestly tell myself that I was having fun.

The thing about the game is that I know I'm not alone. I'm not the minority in this case. I'm not the first person to call for these changes and I won't be the last. I'm not asking for anything that hasn't been asked for numerous times before. My suggestions date back well before the beta was even available. These ideas aren't something new. Many other long time Diablo fans have been requesting these very ideas for a long time and as you can see from this thread there are still very many who would still love to see these changes made.

The forum isn't the only place where changes are called for. Gaming sites, youtube channels, player reviews, and elsewhere are players, old fans calling for changes just like the ones I listed. If I am the selfish one then so is the majority of the playerbase. There is an entire horde of players who haven't spoken up too that I'm sure would love to see the game return to the roots that made D2 the legend that it is. The classic RPG experience that we wanted reborn. The game's numbers have shrunk so much that Blizzard isn't even willing to share the size of the regular playerbase. Even the forums have slowed to a crawl in the past months. The reality is that not many people have stuck around for the current game.

I specifically addressed the changes listed because I feel that they can be made with little interference with the current game population. I've even specifically addressed how attributes could be scaled on current items to correct them for the proposed changes. It would be less of a stir than the attack speed nerf by a large margin. If anything those playing should only be happier that the depth of the game would increase so substantially that the game they enjoy would only grow better. I don't understand why you'd be so sour about that.
Reply Quote
I'd like to thank everyone who has shown support. I've read all the messages even if I haven't replied to them all.
Reply Quote

I can see from your profile that you are heavily invested into the game. Congrats for your achievements (sincere btw).

However I feel critics of these type of threads miss the spirit of them. They are asking for real, genuine customisation to return to the game. With the current systems in place, it seems almost impossible. With JW moving on, in desperate hope we are voicing our opinions, suggestions what have you in case there is even the slightest chance that change is possible.
Surely all can admit that this game is not a genuine ARPG. A great Hack n Slash, yes, but not and ARPG.

Interesting that you made a comment that the OP hasn't even grazed the surface of this game. Truth is, the isn't much under the surface. That is the heart of these threads. Whether our solutions are viable or not, we are craving depth to this game, to make it a real ARPG.
Reply Quote
Other additions not mentioned previously include %elemental damage affixes that are currently limited to a few legendary items. These could provide the primary damage boosts for casters or elemental focused non-caster classes. An Earthquake barb might strive for a good deal of %fire damage and would have little need for a high damage weapon. A %fire damage boosting ax would be really nice for him even with low damage. Items like this don't exist currently and even if they did high weapon DPS would still be a requirement for it to hold any value.

Actually, they DO exist. The "fire axe" you're talking about is already implemented in the game, it's called The Burning Axe of Sankis http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-burning-axe-of-sankis and it's actually pretty damn cool.

As to the rest of your post, some good ideas, but implementation would be neigh on impossible.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 08:34 AMPosted by ViisasVimes
Other additions not mentioned previously include %elemental damage affixes that are currently limited to a few legendary items. These could provide the primary damage boosts for casters or elemental focused non-caster classes. An Earthquake barb might strive for a good deal of %fire damage and would have little need for a high damage weapon. A %fire damage boosting ax would be really nice for him even with low damage. Items like this don't exist currently and even if they did high weapon DPS would still be a requirement for it to hold any value.

Actually, they DO exist. The "fire axe" you're talking about is already implemented in the game, it's called The Burning Axe of Sankis http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-burning-axe-of-sankis and it's actually pretty damn cool.

As to the rest of your post, some good ideas, but implementation would be neigh on impossible.

I was aware of some affixes like this. It is part of why I suggested them as implementation time is virtually nil. The main issue is that these affixes are specifically limited to select legendary items when they really would make for a great itemization change if they could appear on rares as well. For example, wizard orbs randomly rolling with them as their primary power boosters in place of the flat damage they provide. They could also rarely appear on melee rares as in the example I provided. I aimed to keep the implementation as simple as possible because I recognize that even still it would require a fair amount of work to do everything I listed.
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 1/21/2013 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
OP made some interesting points but as some have already mentioned:

01/20/2013 08:53 PMPosted by brkdwnxx
this game can improve with the right changes but what you're proposing is complete game mechanic revisions. that just doesn't seem feasible to me.

01/20/2013 11:56 PMPosted by DrakeMunchy
It's funny how you're not yet done with the game in hell difficulty and here you are asking for Diablo 4 (think about coding + bug tests + PTR + euqation changes + new skill system = a whole new sequel of Diablo). I like your post, but it's just too late to make another huge wave of changes.

I agree with them that though your ideas would bring some of the awesomeness that D2 had back in D3....i really don't see it happening. As the Dev Team have already implemented a different system not only different from D1/D2 but from almost all ARPG, i doubt they would really overhaul the total system. The only thing they can do is to make the game more entertaining and rewarding based on present system.

Really drawn out post - couldn't read all of it...However, all I really want to see is...

- Skill ladder instead of skill runes (i do not see the progression fo the runes scaling with the progression of the character - there are lower runes that work better than the higher level ones),
- Attribute ladder instead of standard DEX, VIT, etc. points at each level
- Weapon ddamage types (frost weapons freeze enemies, fire weapons ignite enemies, etc.) where reall elemental damage means something,
- Better gem options and more slots,
- Better gear instead of dependency of just primary stats,
- Charms and Runewords
- Better crafted items (although coming in 1.07 - so that may be good)
- Better diversity in builds,
- Dyes for set and legendary items

I do like the fact that you do not need scrolls or someone elese to ID items and I do like the fact that you do not need scrolls for the town portal.

Some things mentioned above are possible to be added in major patches and in the expansion, like - better gems, more and better gears, charms and rune words, more randomized levels etc etc. But if you want means of progression, diversity and perma-choice, i believe all of these have to be crafted from current state. I don't think it's impossible and could be done without overhauling the present system.

I just made a thread regarding this matter a few minutes ago. Some ideas that can make things a little interesting and game progression a little meaningful.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708411946
Reply Quote
I just want map randomization!!!
Reply Quote
01/20/2013 12:16 PMPosted by Elexar
try to extend existing systems.
As far as the proposed concept goes, I appreciate and agree with a lot of the OP's post. +1 for that seriously. I am certain to make all those modifications would be quite a lengthy undertaking.

I had totally forgotten about that video too. Wow, what a departure huh? Now that game really looked amazing!
Reply Quote
I should say that I don't have the highest hopes of this happening either. I know I'm asking a lot of the team. The change in leadership is a sign of hope and I felt that if change is to happen then someone needs to speak. Or rather as many people need to speak up and make a clear demonstration of what we want even if they hold off on it until the expansion. These changes need to happen for me to even consider buying the expansion so I felt my time invested in sharing my thoughts was worth it. I don't want to see D3 fall into the shadows. I've waited far too long for the sequel to D2 to miss the opportunity here.
Reply Quote
we need diablo 3 more gothic and dark
we need TALENT TREE (like wow) to get different characters!!
we need PvP last longer (probably implement PvP Resistance atribute)
Reply Quote
To OP:
Great post and i agree with everything you said should be changed.

I would like to add one thing, and thats the crafting system. It can still be random numbers but you need to beable to pick your main stat that you for sure want to show up on the piece of gear. And im sure some more creative people can think of other things that should be add/changed to the crafting system but right now its junk.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]