Diablo® III

Dear Director: returning the depth to Diablo

To OP:
Great post and i agree with everything you said should be changed.

I would like to add one thing, and thats the crafting system. It can still be random numbers but you need to beable to pick your main stat that you for sure want to show up on the piece of gear. And im sure some more creative people can think of other things that should be add/changed to the crafting system but right now its junk.

Adding the ability to add main stat to crafting would be a nice fix in the current system but ultimately I feel we should be moving away from the idea of a "main stat" and towards a system of player preference/customization rather than a narrow pursuit of raw numbers.

01/21/2013 10:11 AMPosted by Sÿlak
I originally wrote this for another topic but felt that I'd covered enough that it might be nice for some exposure

Did you send in your resume to blizz so that you can become the next GD?
LMAO

Although it might be fun I rather like my current job/career path. It would be nice if Blizzard opened up greater communications on the forums though. They really ought to open up a dedicated feedback/exchange forum where the devs themselves can communicate with players on issues. The one way blogs that only come once in a while aren't really enough.
Reply Quote
These ideas should be taken into consideration.

The only thing I will say is that skill points/trees seem imposible at this point. That being said attribute allocation and changing some skills to be Stat and not weapon dependent shouldn't be any trouble (i.e you deal x% * statTOTAL in damage rather than DPS*x%)

frankly the "variety" in this game sucks i experienced more variety in a couple of hours of a beta of another game (path of exile) than in a year of Diablo 3. Thats just pathetic
Reply Quote
Great post! I read the hole thing and agree with every single point made. Now we can only hope the Dev team does so too or i wont touch the game ever again, wich would be sad because i once thought it was destined to be one of the best games ever made, beeing the successor of D2.
But instead they decided to just make some MMO like game with the name Diablo on it :(
Edited by Lakeless#2446 on 1/21/2013 10:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
These ideas should be taken into consideration.

The only thing I will say is that skill points/trees seem imposible at this point. That being said attribute allocation and changing some skills to be Stat and not weapon dependent shouldn't be any trouble (i.e you deal x% * statTOTAL in damage rather than DPS*x%)

frankly the "variety" in this game sucks i experienced more variety in a couple of hours of a beta of another game (path of exile) than in a year of Diablo 3. Thats just pathetic

I've thought about tying stats to skill damage before and although it is a unique concept that would be even more difficult to balance well especially since I doubt Blizzard has done anything like it before. We already know that Blizzard had skills with flat damage numbers at one point so they'd have something to refer to if they wanted to go back and make that system work but bringing in stats would be an entirely new direction to take it.

Such a system could work but I wonder about the effect it has on stat allocation and customization. If two different skills use different stats then the player is dissuaded from using the two together as they will inevitably have to sacrifice power in one or the other to support both. The optimal result of such a system is everyone locking into only skills using one stat type and stacking that stat. It wouldn't be easy to find a way to convince players to combine skills with different stat bases. It would be possible, I know that for a fact, but it would require entirely new game systems to support it. It would be a nice idea if they did start from scratch however I think that's best left for another game entirely.
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 1/21/2013 10:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
+1 like your suggestions, specially on itemization.
Reply Quote
dude all they have to do is just give us this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvThjiE038

nothing more this is what Diablo 3 was originally.

I had forgotten how amazing this preview was. The first step to fixing D3 is to find who decided that this early build was inferior and fire them. Anybody who has played D2 can easily see how badly you kept downgrading after that previews build.
Reply Quote
Your suggestions are just amazing.
When I read the part with the attributes, my eyes shined. THAT. IS. AWESOME.
And also your other suggestions are good.
I regret this will never come true...
Reply Quote
Holy crap this was spot on. I like that people recognize how Diablo 2 tiered its stats and items, and how you could use a level 25 item into the 80's and do decently, whereas D3 follows WoW's model of replace stat-stick one with stat-stick two every 3-5 levels.
Reply Quote
Total 1.07 patch notes: no desire to return

The thought of no cooldowns: instant thought of return.
Reply Quote
I just really hope they send out an expansion pack soon or a ladder reset with every single thing he !@#$ed up fixed.

Now about rmah, I think it should only sell gold and not items. It would be a lot easier to control and probably more fun anyways.

Also they were VEEEEERY light with botting and cheating, I hope they get harder on this for next time. No way or no change that I come back to D3 without an expansion or a reset with most of this features.
Reply Quote
deminishing returns? UMMM no no more wow in diablo for the love of god thats a backwards direction lets move forward and remake diablo 4 d3 is dead
Reply Quote
dude all they have to do is just give us this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvThjiE038

nothing more this is what Diablo 3 was originally.

I had forgotten how amazing this preview was. The first step to fixing D3 is to find who decided that this early build was inferior and fire them. Anybody who has played D2 can easily see how badly you kept downgrading after that previews build.

So true please new DEV please review this video this game is what hyped millions of diablo fans. I just dont understand how they downgraded and dumbed down every aspect of this video to be more retad user friendly....where is the complexity? we should be able to use corpses to reanimate pets. there should be damage on armor that we can see...we should be able to enchant our pets with skills like the WD did to his dogs. WTF happend? to a game that could have been great? you guys changed so much of the fun aspect of the preview that diablo just sucks...so bad...I saw throwing knifes in that vid and I saw a rune drop....omfg i was drooling at the vid and the graphics and atmosphere was done very well in that beautiful video demonstrated by jay wilson....I dont get you Jay I don;t you had something awesome and you threw it all away! I just understand what happend? Reload that preview in he current diablo 3 see how many people will rejoice at you. Claim your rightful throne as director of the franchise....Why run away when you can make things right again..I hope you read this Mr. Wilson look at the video you showed the world and embark your journey to remake diablo 3 the game of the century!!! if not you then the new directer. Do the right thing dang it do it now!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
So much stuff in the video that didn't make it in the final version of the game. So bad. so dissapointed.

I wish they all have a change of heart and start making this game what the community wants ... breathtaking and fun.

Also itemization is crap. Why can't i have crit on shoulders ? or soket ? why can't i roll on shoulders > lvl 1 Horror or mass confusion ? old d2 days when you had teleport with paladin and lvl 20 enchant on some weapon :D
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
As well thought out as OP's post is it WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

First of all you hear the devs/moderators speaking how 1 simple change needs to be tested over and over and how difficult and time consuming it is. Imagine impingementing what you described. That is about 1 year of work, which makes in at least 10 in Blizz-time.

It is probably more realistic to implement that in Diablo IV... not that many would buy that game.
Edited by Spokoman#1433 on 1/21/2013 3:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Strength: increased melee weapon damage, increased armor, increased attack speed (this adds an offensive incentive for non-melee characters and yet still makes it the stat that melee characters would want to lean towards even though the melee weapon damage bonus is significantly reduced)

Dex: increased ranged (physical) weapon damage, increased dodge, increased crit (again both and offensive and defensive bonus for non-ranged characters while still making ranged characters tend towards it)

Vit: Increased HP. Honestly, I don't think anything else is needed here. Even in D2 vitality was highly valued and that's all it really did (lol stamina recovery :P)

Int: increased elemental damage (weapon/spells), increased all resist, increased crit damage (naturally makes caster/elemental focused characters have larger crits and better resistance to the elements while, again, giving an offensive and defensive bonus to other characters)

Sorry but in my model I would not put IAS with strength. I would put it with dex because a character that is speedy and can dodge makes more sense. Instead if IAS with strength I would put increased crit damage. A stronger character should be able to do more damage. Intelligence is where I would put increased crit chance because a smarter character is no doubt more able to see the weaknesses of his adversary.

Also any manual system needs even more depth than what I suggested. It needs a depth where you would have a lot of viable ways to spend your points. It would be balanced where there would not be a huge difference from one way to the next. Where the only real difference is in play style. Sure you might be able to eek out a few more percentage points by using the optimal way.

Skill points are much the same way. Regardless of how you or anyone else would make them. Without a deep system you will always have one or a small handful of right ways to spend them. Much like our gear is now.

Heck I already cleared inferno with a Seismic Slam/Earthquake build that I made on my own.
Reply Quote
Not sure this is mentioned but I would like to see BNet 1.0 or like it to replace the current version. Diablo series has always been about MP for me and previous versions (notably D2 LoD) allowed me to easily PuG/find groups mostly due to a game name list. Right now, I will safely bet that the majority only solo grind. BNet 2.0 should be scrapped imo; it's a massive step back from D2 LoD which I believe is the superior means to handle MP. If not now, at least in the expansion please. Like to note after 10+ years of off and on playing D2: I have not even beat the game offline...since I first installed it, I have played MP almost exclusively. Not so in D3 where I solo 100% the time. I want to group but BNet 2.0 discourages it! Lame.

Lastly, I agree 100% with the OP on build diversity complaints. D3 promised to have a wide variety of builds but this has all changed due to the implementation of Monster Power; it's time to redo/tweak skills to adapt it to this new feature. You can not dump in new modes like this without adjusting skills that were designed prior to monster power.

As of right now on my main which is a Wizard: I only have two build options if I want to credibly do MP 3+. This is not how the game should be imo. There should be numerous builds that work, not a handful.
Edited by fixit#1698 on 1/21/2013 3:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
First,

I think this is a very well thought out posting, and productive, as well as POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT. I, personally, do not care if it takes them months to fix the skills and place stat points into the game. I MISS THEM! I really miss going in and creating my own character, that is not like anyone else's. Diablo was the game that made that possible! I remember making some of the most outlandish toons in D2. I have 800 hours invested in D3, or more. (not on this profile, this is my second) And I have found myself wishing so much for a complete overhaul, Every DH, every Wiz, every Barb has THE SAME GEAR and THE SAME SKILLS right now. Noone uses anything unique. So, this system the built for more "diversity" has condemned diversity to just a narrow path.
We need the excitement, the thrill, the drive that D2 had! I want to go to sleep wondering what to upgrade on my character, like I did back in High school when D2 came out! Every real life friend I had that was playing D3, quit long ago.... I only stick around because I, like most of you, are praying they fix this. I am hoping they take the initiative and do it right! I have POE beta, and TL2, I play D3 because it is Diablo, it will always be special. POE has a great skill diversity system, but lacks graphical performance to the point of boredom!
Blizzard could easily fix this, needs to fix this! And needs to give us the game that we will play for another 10 years! Because, honestly, if it wasn't for my wife playing with me, I am rather tired of Auction Tycoon 3!
Best of Luck Jay Wilson, Thank you for stepping down and giving someone else a chance to clean the mess!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]