Diablo® III

Dear Director: returning the depth to Diablo

So many Diablo 2 ideas. Just play that game if you like it more.
Reply Quote
View profile
Who u writing to? ship has no captain or rudder. Not like they'd read it anyways.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 1/22/2013 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
Vit: Increased HP. Honestly, I don't think anything else is needed here. Even in D2 vitality was highly valued and that's all it really did (lol stamina recovery :P)

Increased HP Regeneration would be good too.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 11:22 AMPosted by Dikembe

But I see nothing wrong with a Child: Diablo 3 being wished to inherit some of the good genes from its Parent: Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 01:22 PMPosted by MisterAjikko

But I see nothing wrong with a Child: Diablo 3 being wished to inherit some of the good genes from its Parent: Diablo 2.

Precisely. Why would you have even bought a sequel if you didn't want it to follow in the spirit of its predecessor?
Reply Quote
I actually made it through the entire post!

I don't agree with very much of it.

Allocating your own stat points would be meaningless, just busy work really in a heavily gear based game.

Soft caps put in some places would be wonderful, I can agree with that.

Skills being tied to DPS of the weapon isn't even a tiny problem with the game. Crit%, IAS, +stat and +crit damage matter just as much as DPS does. A 1400 DPS 2H weapon with no other stats is worthless as an example. Yet an 1100 DPS 2H weapon with amazing secondary stats is worth millions. This is just one of those issues people have made up in their heads.

There is nothing wrong with the skill system either. Either you allow respecs and you basically end up with what we have now or you don't allow them and people hate the game because they have to reroll if they decide they don't like their build. Skill points are a failed experiment that just gives people the illusion of meaningful character building. I'd love to see them add one more tier to the skill selection though. You pick the skill you want, you pick the rune on it and then you pick some sort of sub rune that modifies that and could even be a drop.
Edited by Ender#1738 on 1/22/2013 4:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708951114?page=1#0
Reply Quote
I actually made it through the entire post!

I don't agree with very much of it.

Allocating your own stat points would be meaningless, just busy work really in a heavily gear based game.

I don't intend to be mean but you made it through the post and missed the core ideas.
By REMOVING the influence of primary stat and the ridiculous amount of stats we get from gear (plus adding some other purposes for stats), being able to allocate them would be very meaningful.
I do agree that in the current setup, being able to allocate them has no worth whatsoever.

Skills being tied to DPS of the weapon isn't even a tiny problem with the game. Crit%, IAS, +stat and +crit damage matter just as much as DPS does. A 1400 DPS 2H weapon with no other stats is worthless as an example. Yet an 1100 DPS 2H weapon with amazing secondary stats is worth millions. This is just one of those issues people have made up in their heads.

Removing weapon DPS reliance is another way to open up better itemisation, customisation and build variation. At the moment the only things that makes a 1H axe better for my Wizard than for a Barb is Int or Str. Quite lame.

Also, our heroes are not powerful. How far do you think most good players could get in the best available ilvl 63 white gear? Nightmare? Without magic gear they are weaker than a kitten with osteoporosis! I'm not saying it should be at all easy to do in whites, but in the current system it would be impossible to touch Inferno. I want my hero to be powerful in their own right, with gear giving juicy benefits

There is nothing wrong with the skill system either. Either you allow respecs and you basically end up with what we have now or you don't allow them and people hate the game because they have to reroll if they decide they don't like their build. Skill points are a failed experiment that just gives people the illusion of meaningful character building. I'd love to see them add one more tier to the skill selection though. You pick the skill you want, you pick the rune on it and then you pick some sort of sub rune that modifies that and could even be a drop.

I would be interested in them sticking with the flexible active skills, but bringing in a passive tree similar to the Traits system they had back in 2010. On top of that having skill or rune ranks to reward you for sticking with a particular skill, but you could level up a different one should you desire. A passive tree (PoE is a good yet extreme example, Traits looked much simpler), allows us to create "unique" characters that have strengths and limitations that separate them from every other one in the same class.

Again, let me reiterate, these ideas are based on moving away from the sole importance of a primary stat and gear-centric "customisation".
Reply Quote
Then a comet came and destroys the whole of D3 world, including Tristram.

Only few survivors until they found out a new villains; Diablo's cousins of some sort, whatever.

This resets everything back to Diablo 2 gameplay and world, with an improve itemization, better than D2.

They could do this in the expansion.
Reply Quote
Then a comet came and destroys the whole of D3 world, including Tristram.

Only few survivors until they found out a new villains; Diablo's cousins of some sort, whatever.

This resets everything back to Diablo 2 gameplay and world, with an improve itemization, better than D2.

They could do this in the expansion.

^This would be hilarious :D
Reply Quote
View profile
Basically this post wants a whole new game.
They aren't going to change the basic systems.
The best we can hope for is they change something
like the item system, which is what this game should've
been about...right now..i don't know what it's about..
critical chance+critical damage i guess...
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
People need to stop talking about attribute points and customization. No one like that and no one uses it and never have. People simply log on to a website that tells you how to allocate your points and what spec to be blah blah blah and they copy and paste it. If you didn't you failed. It has always been that way and it always will. Even now with the lack of point allocation you still have websites and players saying you have to use X skill with Y rune or you fail. Talent trees and skill points in an old tired system that is even more pointless then what we have now.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 02:30 AMPosted by Barlion
People need to stop talking about attribute points and customization. No one like that and no one uses it and never have. People simply log on to a website that tells you how to allocate your points and what spec to be blah blah blah and they copy and paste it. If you didn't you failed. It has always been that way and it always will. Even now with the lack of point allocation you still have websites and players saying you have to use X skill with Y rune or you fail. Talent trees and skill points in an old tired system that is even more pointless then what we have now.

....Then maybe they should design it so more experimental builds don't fail. Then skill points and talent trees would be awesome, and the game would feel like it built upon its predecessor in a meaningful way.

... did I just blow your mind? :)
Edited by Singularity#1780 on 1/23/2013 2:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
Suddenly it occurs to me that removing attributes did not resolve that issue that attributes were posing. The problem with attributes were that players would just dump all of their points into one basket to achieve the greatest output of damage to health. This problem still exsists in diablo 3. The difference between the no attribute system and the attribute system is that when you remove attribute points the only gear you are looking for is gear that once again puts all of your attributes into one basket to achieve the greatest output of damage to health.

Instead of the diablo 2 attribute system with players dumping all of their points in one spot, there is now a diablo 3 system where players seek items to do that for us. That then makes the game far more gear dependent, gold dependent, and time dependent.
Reply Quote
This is a fantastic thread! Well said by OP! Absolutely hit the nail on the head and GREAT ideas to fix the game.

If only they would listen! We need these sort of changes! BLIZZ!
Reply Quote
Hi, my suggestion on skill point as per picture http://tinypic.com/r/2n0vhw4/6
Just small variation that level-up is through experience.

Player get stronger by playing more.
Guaranteed reward for time spent and put less emphasis on gears.
Balance between Blizzard's direction to open up all skills for player to experiment and yet instill build permanence.

Example: My monk may be able to SSS every 10 sec, but your monk can SSS for 30 hits. So if I like your monk build then I can start leveling that rune, no need to reroll but significant time investment may be required.

Would love to see something similar for expansion.
Reply Quote
poe !!!
Reply Quote
This is the first major issue. Rather than fixing attributes so that manual stat placement was a meaningful investment in your character and build they stripped it entirely. I'd restore manual placement with leveling (and quest rewards!!!) and redo attributes so that it would actually work:

Except that they removed manual stat allocation because it had been worked out so that everyone used cookie cutter allocation in D2 and if you didn't then you failed, and none of the changes you proposed would change that. Everyone would always find the best combination of stats for their class or build. Ideally you would pick the stat points that favored your style, but there would always be a best way of doing things just as there is now and people would probably figure out what those new cookie cutter stat builds should be within days. Manual stat allocation will always have this inherent flaw no matter how balanced you try to make it.

So a basic system for skill points might work out like this:
- 1 skill point awarded every 4 levels
- Skills can have a maximum of 5 skill points as designated from level ups
- This enables a player to invest in maximizing 3 skills or more evenly distributing across all six skills.
- Skill points award by quests/paragon would be bonus points and could be placed anywhere without restriction
- Every 10 Paragon levels awards a skill point
- Every 5 skill points in a skill provides an auxiliary bonus (extra projectile, longer range, reduced resource cost, etc.)

So basically you want rune ranks back but as clickable buttons instead of items... And what makes your think that won't have the same problem as the stat allocation (i.e. everyone maxing out certain skills first and ignoring others completely depending on what's best for min/maxing)? And flavor of the month builds will still happen as balancing changes are made, no matter what sort of respec cost you put on it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]