Diablo® III

Molten, Vortex, Arcane - MP7 how do you beat?

Without spending a billion? Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it's at least 2 deaths before I can clear.
Reply Quote
u'r simply a little undergeared for mp7. More dps would make your lifesteal more effective and keep u alive easier.

If you do want to stay on mp7 in current gear, SSS + Beacon of Ytar will help a lot, giving you a ton more immunity uptime against hard packs, plus SSS will heal you to full with as much lifesteal as you have.
Reply Quote
u'r simply a little undergeared for mp7. More dps would make your lifesteal more effective and keep u alive easier.

If you do want to stay on mp7 in current gear, SSS + Beacon of Ytar will help a lot, giving you a ton more immunity uptime against hard packs, plus SSS will heal you to full with as much lifesteal as you have.

Boy monks are weak then, my other toons can all do at least MP7 and they have about the same DPS except the WD but she can do MP9. They all cost way less too. If I put my monk's gear on my DH she can easily do MP7 so I guess the gear is going back on her.

I don't need to do MP7, just got a new weapon and was testing him out. Unfortunately, still the weakest. I will try your suggestions. Thanks.
Reply Quote
What's your resist at? I need to play those affixes smart but I can handle MP7 (if not a bit slow).

We seem to have similar stats. I have a tad over 800 resist, 52k or so life when I swap in life% on helm. I also use resolve, I don't think you need Transcendence with LS on both your weapons.
Reply Quote
What's your resist at? I need to play those affixes smart but I can handle MP7 (if not a bit slow).

We seem to have similar stats. I have a tad over 800 resist, 52k or so life when I swap in life% on helm. I also use resolve, I don't think you need Transcendence with LS on both your weapons.

My resist is currently at 650 but I had it around 770 and didn't notice that big of a difference. I used to use resolve but I'll try it again with my new gear. Thanks.
Reply Quote
I farm MP4 in my current gear. The immediate thing I see as a difference is our HPs. I was looking to increase my MP level not long ago and the one constant that seemed to help the most was increasing my health pool. I went from around where you are up to the 50-60k mark. Much easier. You can take the big hits better and if you get stuck on a stacked molten in a turret or two you don't melt instantly.

Dps is of course necessary too but it's hard to even get your sustain going when you're dying before it humming along.
Reply Quote
LuckyDog
View profile
Without spending

Luckydog, I believe with some smart positioning/ melee kiting you will be able to deal with molten, arcane, vortex with your gear in MP7.

Also, your skill choices are not the most efficient. Stick to our cookie-cutter build, learn to lock in your sweeping wind damage.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aSXgYk!UTX!acbYca

You can switch out NDE, for either resolve or combination strike.
Reply Quote
I farm MP4 in my current gear. The immediate thing I see as a difference is our HPs. I was looking to increase my MP level not long ago and the one constant that seemed to help the most was increasing my health pool. I went from around where you are up to the 50-60k mark. Much easier. You can take the big hits better and if you get stuck on a stacked molten in a turret or two you don't melt instantly.

Dps is of course necessary too but it's hard to even get your sustain going when you're dying before it humming along.

I can do MP4 easily that's not the problem. I can even do mp6 now with my new weapon but MP7 seems much harder with molten melting me down quickly. I would like to increase my HP but would probably be losing a lot of DPS which would make higher MP levels more difficult. Molten by itself is fine for me at MP7, it's just when it's Molten with vortex and arcane/jailer. Then it's all over.
Reply Quote
LuckyDog
View profile
Without spending

Luckydog, I believe with some smart positioning/ melee kiting you will be able to deal with molten, arcane, vortex with your gear in MP7.

Also, your skill choices are not the most efficient. Stick to our cookie-cutter build, learn to lock in your sweeping wind damage.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aSXgYk!UTX!acbYca

You can switch out NDE, for either resolve or combination strike.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I used the cookie cutter for a long time but was testing out other skills to see if it would help me with the the deadly molten combo affixes. Even though my Monk is my weakest I try to make him better because he was my first and still favorite. I use all my other toons to farm for him, it makes me sad that he's so weak. My ballerina Barb can spin on lasers, molten, posion all day - it just doesn't matter. So unfair.
Edited by LuckyDog#1163 on 1/21/2013 7:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
LuckyDog. I can "do" up to MP10...it's just too slow with my dps. I farm MP4. Not work my way through...farm. It takes me longer to pick up loot than to kill most things. My point was just that higher HPs will help buffer you even more. My EHP are around 1.6 M. When you get a molten, jailer, arcane plus...and one that's aggressively laying turrets in tight spots...even at MP4 it can be dangerous. At some point you need to consider your positioning of course too.

Dps is great but you can't dps when you're dead or running away.

Btw, you have 3k more dps than me unbuffed and basically HALF my EHP (with block and dodge). Which means you die a lot more. See d3up.com for details.
Edited by BigE#1536 on 1/21/2013 7:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'm having similar problems w/ my gear at MP5... not to mention RD packs. I know my HP is a bit low, but I'm not having issues with being 1-shotted or anything, it's just watching that bubble diminish faster than it's being replenished. Do I need to sacrifice my socket on my EF to get LS (obv I could have both if I wanted to spend a ton of gold that I don't have)? I was using a WKL before the current OH axe that had a socket and LS on it (low DPS, approx 680, and low lite skill damage 16 or 17, cant remember) and I felt a little worse off than the current setup.
Reply Quote
More health would be good even with near max damage reduction things on higher mp can kill you pretty fast

You could also use the passive that makes you take 75% reduced damage when cc'ed it would help vs jailer and frozen but not so much vs vortex or waller

You might want to try mantra of evasion with either hard target or divine intra
It would be a large dps loss but a huge sustain gain

Upgrading your 2ndary weapon to something faster might help also but probably not much vs your current problem of being cc'ed
Reply Quote
LuckyDog. I can "do" up to MP10...it's just too slow with my dps. I farm MP4. Not work my way through...farm. It takes me longer to pick up loot than to kill most things. My point was just that higher HPs will help buffer you even more. My EHP are around 1.6 M. When you get a molten, jailer, arcane plus...and one that's aggressively laying turrets in tight spots...even at MP4 it can be dangerous. At some point you need to consider your positioning of course too.

Dps is great but you can't dps when you're dead or running away.

Btw, you have 3k more dps than me unbuffed and basically HALF my EHP (with block and dodge). Which means you die a lot more. See d3up.com for details.

EHP doesn't take into effect healing. Unless I'm mistaken. My Monk's EHP is lower but I do have close to 6% LS and at lower MP levels the molten plus stuff doesn't affect me much.

My wiz has much lower EHP and can do MP 10 because her attack speed is 2.76 and just out heals the damage. So maybe I need more LOH??
Edited by LuckyDog#1163 on 1/21/2013 7:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 07:30 AMPosted by AMazzing
I'm having similar problems w/ my gear at MP5... not to mention RD packs. I know my HP is a bit low, but I'm not having issues with being 1-shotted or anything, it's just watching that bubble diminish faster than it's being replenished. Do I need to sacrifice my socket on my EF to get LS (obv I could have both if I wanted to spend a ton of gold that I don't have)? I was using a WKL before the current OH axe that had a socket and LS on it (low DPS, approx 680, and low lite skill damage 16 or 17, cant remember) and I felt a little worse off than the current setup.
Why not try a weapon with LoH on it as an intermediary before a higher end LS weapon to replace you're current echoing fury? Shoot for 800 LoH and a socket. Might as well try to add some Vit while you're at it, as your main issue is low HP.
Reply Quote

EHP doesn't take into effect healing. Unless I'm mistaken. My Monk's EHP is lower but I do have close to 6% LS and at lower MP levels the molten plus stuff doesn't affect me much.

My wiz has much lower EHP and can do MP 10 because her attack speed is 2.76 and just out heals the damage. So maybe I need more LOH??

I realize that. I have about half your LS but also have LoH and LPSS beyond Trans. So we're probably about even in the healing dept. I personally like a little something besides LS. I'm wondering if part of it is your Bell build not healing you when you need it? I have high spirit regen with the FoT Quickening rune and my 2+ aps so I spam LTK all the time. It heals me for a nice amount constantly due to LPSS (~120 life per spirit spent). Throw in LS and LoH and I'm getting a nice stream of health. I definitely notice the difference though when SW drops off or isn't ticking fully.

Are you finding yourself spirit starved or are you able to spam much of what you want to? I don't know the LS coefficient for WoL but maybe you're not getting enough healing when it really matters due to your ability to actually use the skill? Just an idea there.

Not to sound like a broken record though..I actually dropped some dps to increase my survivability and re-tooled my monk with a lot better "paper" EHP and higher MP became much easier. I previously had a 1260+ EF offhand with 1.56 AS and nearly 900 LoH. A very nice low fear. Very nice weapon. I find myself blowing through content as S&B that my DW higher dps build struggled with.
Reply Quote
It's interesting. Most people who struggle with higher MPs are typically struggling because of RD, not so much because of the other affixes. IMO, for them, their DPS overwhelms their EHP + sustain. For you, the problem is not so much that as much (because your DPS is a bit lower than it should be to do faster kills) but it might be a lack of DPS and playstyle issues. I don't think you should have any problems with MP7 with this gear -- if anything, it should only frustrate you that you are taking too long to kill an elite pack because of lower DPS levels.

I look at your present build and there is a real lack of DPS buffs in there that maximizes your DPS in the game. Try this build -- a cookie cutter variant that can help you with a bunch of things (none of this should be new to you, but I'll just put it in here in case it is):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#abYkgS!gXU!accaYc

While 1.0.6 is still here, take advantage of the SW snapshot

(1) FoT, FoT, DR (or DRx3) to get the 18% damage buff + 16% combo strike buff
(2) BF / FitL for the 30% * APS DPS buff (~60% for a typical DW monk with ~2.0 APS)
(3) Spam SW, and attack with FoT most of the time. As long as you keep attacking, combo strike still gives you the 8% DPS buff per primary attack.
(4) Keep spamming MoC/Overawe every ~3s to keep the 48% monster defence debuff up for duration of fight

Now, if you come across some difficult affixes with the ground effects, kite them a little bit, and use DR to hit them from a bit of distance -- this will allow you to attack while not standing in a desecrator or plague pool, or even molten. DR also allows you to continue your attacks even if jailed (and I think you can hit from behind a wall). Serenity can be used when your health drops below halfway, attack for 2s and then start running to your next health globe. As another poster mentioned, smart positioning and strategies can help you get by.

I'm not an expert in any way, but if you want, we can go on a run together to see if there are things you can do that will help your game. Feel free to add me. Good luck.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 1/21/2013 8:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
I'm thinking about this a little more too and maybe try some LoH if you can score a deal. Our dps level is just about the break even point for LS vs. LoH. Depending on your attack speed and the coefficients of the skills you use LoH might perform better. Noting SW doesn't benefit from LoH but I'm pretty sure your other skills do.
Reply Quote
Thing that catches me is your lifesteal and DPS.

You've got 5.9 LS which is great, but you got to think about the inferno nerf for lifesteal. At your dps, life on hit is probably more valuable to you.

I was 185k DPS (with WKL) and I sustained MP10 with only 2.8% LS. However, because of my high-DPS output it allowed me to sustain.

Now, I must say you should still be able to do MP7 with your gear. You might not be able to "face tank" everything, so like @Dracolich said better kiting/positioning yourself might help out. I've never seen you play so I don't know if this is the problem - but it's a strong suggestion.
Reply Quote

I realize that. I have about half your LS but also have LoH and LPSS beyond Trans. So we're probably about even in the healing dept. I personally like a little something besides LS. I'm wondering if part of it is your Bell build not healing you when you need it? I have high spirit regen with the FoT Quickening rune and my 2+ aps so I spam LTK all the time. It heals me for a nice amount constantly due to LPSS (~120 life per spirit spent). Throw in LS and LoH and I'm getting a nice stream of health. I definitely notice the difference though when SW drops off or isn't ticking fully.

Are you finding yourself spirit starved or are you able to spam much of what you want to? I don't know the LS coefficient for WoL but maybe you're not getting enough healing when it really matters due to your ability to actually use the skill? Just an idea there.

Not to sound like a broken record though..I actually dropped some dps to increase my survivability and re-tooled my monk with a lot better "paper" EHP and higher MP became much easier. I previously had a 1260+ EF offhand with 1.56 AS and nearly 900 LoH. A very nice low fear. Very nice weapon. I find myself blowing through content as S&B that my DW higher dps build struggled with.

I did try the LPSS for awhile and had a fist and helm that together had close to 100 LPSS in addition to Transcendence. That's why I was using the bell and it worked ok but didn't feel it was enough. Then I had an Axe with similar stats to my current one except 800 LOH instead of LS. That was ok too but not enough.

Looking at your gear I know what the big difference is, your BT cross is awesome. That would probably put me over the top but that would probably cost over 200 mill.
Reply Quote
Thing that catches me is your lifesteal and DPS.

You've got 5.9 LS which is great, but you got to think about the inferno nerf for lifesteal. At your dps, life on hit is probably more valuable to you.

I was 185k DPS (with WKL) and I sustained MP10 with only 2.8% LS. However, because of my high-DPS output it allowed me to sustain.

Now, I must say you should still be able to do MP7 with your gear. You might not be able to "face tank" everything, so like @Dracolich said better kiting/positioning yourself might help out. I've never seen you play so I don't know if this is the problem - but it's a strong suggestion.

I think that's it. I want to facetank everything like my other toons but need to kite with my Monk. Maybe I just can't with my gear. I did have an 800 LOH axe before but it was about the same maybe slightly worst than my current axe. So I'm probably right at the breakeven.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]