Diablo® III

Molten, Vortex, Arcane - MP7 how do you beat?

@nameless

I think your right. I am frustrated at having to kite. I just want to stand in there but realizing now that I just don't have the gear to do that. I'll give your suggestions a try, thanks.
Reply Quote
dont stand in the stupid. I can tell you that it doesnt require 1 bil to do mp7 all affixes without incident. I have 100k sheet dps w/ only 3% LS and 800 LOH w/ 600 resists 40k HP and I can do mp9 key runs easily and mp10 ubers easily as well. no gimmicks, no WKL hidden dps, no gear swapping. Just rotate cooldowns and play smart
Reply Quote
Thing that catches me is your lifesteal and DPS.

You've got 5.9 LS which is great, but you got to think about the inferno nerf for lifesteal. At your dps, life on hit is probably more valuable to you.

I was 185k DPS (with WKL) and I sustained MP10 with only 2.8% LS. However, because of my high-DPS output it allowed me to sustain.

Now, I must say you should still be able to do MP7 with your gear. You might not be able to "face tank" everything, so like @Dracolich said better kiting/positioning yourself might help out. I've never seen you play so I don't know if this is the problem - but it's a strong suggestion.

I think that's it. I want to facetank everything like my other toons but need to kite with my Monk. Maybe I just can't with my gear. I did have an 800 LOH axe before but it was about the same maybe slightly worst than my current axe. So I'm probably right at the breakeven.

A good mixture of the 2 would benefit you I think. My gear is pretty bad, and I can do MP7 (I think) it's pretty easy to kite on Monks. And in all honesty you probably can face tank most or you should be able to, but on some Elite's you wont be able to so you'll just have to learn how to move around the map better, or try using dashing strike to get out of molten/plagued etc.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 08:24 AMPosted by Technoviking
dont stand in the stupid. I can tell you that it doesnt require 1 bil to do mp7 all affixes without incident. I have 100k sheet dps w/ only 3% LS and 800 LOH w/ 600 resists 40k HP and I can do mp9 key runs easily and mp10 ubers easily as well. no gimmicks, no WKL hidden dps, no gear swapping. Just rotate cooldowns and play smart

But how long does it take, do I have to run around like a chicken all day? I want to stand in the stupid like I do with my other toons. If I want to do that what do I need and how much would it cost?
Reply Quote
Not to highjack thread but bigE is your profile dps buffed? Looking at our characters they are super similar yet you have around 100k sheet more than I do. Even with your 200 more dex than I do that only adds around 7k and your 10% ias another 7k per d3.
Reply Quote

I did try the LPSS for awhile and had a fist and helm that together had close to 100 LPSS in addition to Transcendence. That's why I was using the bell and it worked ok but didn't feel it was enough. Then I had an Axe with similar stats to my current one except 800 LOH instead of LS. That was ok too but not enough.

Looking at your gear I know what the big difference is, your BT cross is awesome. That would probably put me over the top but that would probably cost over 200 mill.

Thanks re. the BT cross. Believe it or not I got that on a bid at closing for 8.5 M I got lucky I think but you can find them for a good price if you hunt. The CD ones are A LOT cheaper than those with CHC.

I guess back to the issue at hand. There's some other good ideas to try. I am no expert but when I looked at your situation and gear/etc...it didn't seem that far off from my own. I really think 70-120k dps is a hard area for LS alone. When I did my calculations when I had higher APS (2.6+) and nearly 2k LoH I wouldn't have broken even on LS (vs LoH) until something like over 120k dps. Granted I wasn't using SW at the time so that makes a difference too. Anyhow my changes were directly related to info. I took from these boards from other threads and from some of my own questions to improve my build.

There are some people who value vit as the second highest core stat besides dex on gear...especially as it relates to handling higher MPs. I'm not going to say that should be "the rule" but my personal experience is that the larger HP pool has made a big difference.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 08:33 AMPosted by bapdawg110
Not to highjack thread but bigE is your profile dps buffed? Looking at our characters they are super similar yet you have around 100k sheet more than I do. Even with your 200 more dex than I do that only adds around 7k and your 10% ias another 7k per d3.

That's self-buffed you're seeing. My unbuffed dps is like 87.4k.
Reply Quote
Rotate skills, play smart, dont stand in fire or laser beams.

In the long term upgrade your gear. MP 7 is really out of your league right now, it requires too much effort and concentration for your gear level, so unless it is short key runs, stick to lower MPs for better results, you will reach there eventually once your gear improves.

This things takes time and gold, ALOT of gold.
Reply Quote
Haven't read everything in this thread yet, but I do MP7, and my monk is a midget compared to OP's. WoL isn't very good on the live server. Switch it to some form of Dashing Strike (probably Quicksilver) or some form if Tempest Rush (reduced spirit or, preferably, damage reduction).

Molten? DS away. Molten and fear? DS to other side of fleeing target. Vortex? As soon as animation starts, lay down RMB and get out of wherever you got sucked into. Also, if you notice that the mobs are spawning sentries near themselves, move away. They'll follow, and the vortex will pull you back to an area without sentries.
Reply Quote
Haven't read everything in this thread yet, but I do MP7, and my monk is a midget compared to OP's. WoL isn't very good on the live server. Switch it to some form of Dashing Strike (probably Quicksilver) or some form if Tempest Rush (reduced spirit or, preferably, damage reduction).

Molten? DS away. Molten and fear? DS to other side of fleeing target. Vortex? As soon as animation starts, lay down RMB and get out of wherever you got sucked into. Also, if you notice that the mobs are spawning sentries near themselves, move away. They'll follow, and the vortex will pull you back to an area without sentries.

I'm more interested in face tanking with minimal kiting, because if I have to kite then I'll just play my other toons who don't have to run around all day.

I know I can drop my DPS, increase armor, resist and HP. I can get more LOH and facetank but my DPS would be low and it would take me way too long to kill anything.
Reply Quote
Rotate skills, play smart, dont stand in fire or laser beams.

In the long term upgrade your gear. MP 7 is really out of your league right now, it requires too much effort and concentration for your gear level, so unless it is short key runs, stick to lower MPs for better results, you will reach there eventually once your gear improves.

This things takes time and gold, ALOT of gold.

That's sad then. I'll just have keep farming with my other toons until I can get him up to speed.
Reply Quote
You should play the toon you enjoy most, each class has its own playing style that suits different ppl.

I have played Barb, wiz(pre 1.02), DH and Monk, I also like face tanking stuff, and I can safely say that monks are actually the class that can facetank the most, due to Serenity. Just dont be so demanding and expect unreasonable performance from your monk now. MP7 laser beams and fire pools hurt quite alot, and will kill almost any class.
Reply Quote
Ok, so it's not that you can't get past these affixes, but it's that you want to be able to tank your way through. You could probably do that by cutting back on DPS and loading up on EHP and go tank crazy. Personally, I'd find that boring, and prefer more of a strategic kiting approach. I find monk to be more of a finesse class, and tanking falls outside of what I'd expect out of this class; the barb is probably designed to be more of a brute force tank class. Consider it a difference between a martial artist and a fully armored soldier. Playstyle is different. I believe this class is built for speed and not brute strength.

I would suggest you consider playing the class the way it is designed to be played, and not treat it like a barb. You may gain a deeper appreciation of the nuances of this class this way and enjoy the monk class more.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 1/21/2013 9:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
You should play the toon you enjoy most, each class has its own playing style that suits different ppl.

I have played Barb, wiz(pre 1.02), DH and Monk, I also like face tanking stuff, and I can safely say that monks are actually the class that can facetank the most, due to Serenity. Just dont be so demanding and expect unreasonable performance from your monk now. MP7 laser beams and fire pools hurt quite alot, and will kill almost any class.

I actually enjoy my monk the most but he's the weakest. My Barb can spin in that stuff all day. My Wiz freezes everything so she facetanks anything as well. My DH with my Monk's gear can facetank with gloom and her Windforce. My WD with her pets and LOH doesn't even have to get close to finish off elites.

I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong in skill selection or gear. I guess I just need to kite more with him.
Edited by LuckyDog#1163 on 1/21/2013 9:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ok, so it's not that you can't get past these affixes, but it's that you want to be able to tank your way through. You could probably do that by cutting back on DPS and loading up on EHP and go tank crazy. Personally, I'd find that boring, and prefer more of a strategic kiting approach. I find monk to be more of a finesse class, and tanking falls outside of what I'd expect out of this class; the barb is probably designed to be more of a brute force tank class. Consider it a difference between a martial artist and a fully armored soldier. Playstyle is different. I believe this class is built for speed and not brute strength.

I would suggest you consider playing the class the way it is designed to be played, and not treat it like a barb. You may gain a deeper appreciation of the nuances of this class this way and enjoy the monk class more.

I guess you're right, I just want to keep the running around to a minimum while still being able to clear fast enough like my other toons.
Reply Quote
I don't know how set you are on WoL but maybe try another spirit spender that might be better for the way you play. I really like LTK scorpion sting. The dps is good. It's not too much spirit (~30). And the 50% chance to stun means you're taking a lot less damage from mobs and can control the fight better. Works on most elites/champions and bosses too!

And...LTK...which already does decent damage...is getting a huge dps buff...at least it is on the ptr for patch 1.0.7. Personally I think it's highly undervalued, especially with the stun mechanic.
Edited by BigE#1536 on 1/21/2013 9:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
I personally am a huge advocate of Quicksilver. You can position yourself quickly. You can jump through arcane beams and frozen orbs without the use of serenity. For molten and plague its nice because if you use it on an elite you are currently hitting you just jump to the opposite side of them which is also a HUGE help for fire chains. Switching to quicksilver was what made the difference for me going from mp7 to mp10.
Reply Quote
I don't know how set you are on WoL but maybe try another spirit spender that might be better for the way you play. I really like LTK scorpion sting. The dps is good. It's not too much spirit (~30). And the 50% chance to stun means you're taking a lot less damage from mobs and can control the fight better. Works on most elites/champions and bosses too!

And...LTK...which already does decent damage...is getting a huge dps buff...at least it is on the ptr for patch 1.0.7. Personally I think it's highly undervalued, especially with the stun mechanic.

LTK/Scorpion sting has amazing synergy with LpSS users. The combo of DPS + Stun + Self-heal is one of the best way of keeping yourself alive. My only jive with it was that it's DPS, while a tad better than my auto attacks, wasnt high enough. As soon as the patch goes live, LTK is going back into my skill set.
Reply Quote

I was just trying LTK out a few minutes ago. Not bad, pretty good. I'll keep testing, thanks.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 09:20 AMPosted by vexelite
I personally am a huge advocate of Quicksilver. You can position yourself quickly. You can jump through arcane beams and frozen orbs without the use of serenity. For molten and plague its nice because if you use it on an elite you are currently hitting you just jump to the opposite side of them which is also a HUGE help for fire chains. Switching to quicksilver was what made the difference for me going from mp7 to mp10.

I like DS with QS a lot. I was using it but I was still having problems with Molten arcane illusionist. I was having a hard time dashing to a safe area. You have about 40% more DPS than me so big difference in clearing those guys befor the whole ground is on fire.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]