Diablo® III

Molten, Vortex, Arcane - MP7 how do you beat?

I'm more interested in face tanking with minimal kiting, because if I have to kite then I'll just play my other toons who don't have to run around all day.

I know I can drop my DPS, increase armor, resist and HP. I can get more LOH and facetank but my DPS would be low and it would take me way too long to kill anything.

I think you're misunderstanding the play style I'm talking about. During combat, I don't kite—I move around when it's advantageous to do so. I use Dashing Strike when I need to stop attacking this mob for some reason (rotating sentries, Blazing Guardian INCOMING!, Desecrator, etc.) and want to immediately begin attacking that mob, which is in safer territory. So the sequence is usually like this:

1. Go nuts with Thunderclap.
2. Spider-sense tingling . . . DS to another target.
3. Resume step #1.

I don't think it's "kiting" if you never leave the room. I stand toe-to-toe with Magewraith elites in the Vault, purely on Ascension, Faith in the Light, Hard Target spam, and Dashing Strike. My up-time in a fight like this is high, but I wouldn't count what I'm doing as "face-tanking." I rarely have to reactivate Sweeping Wind (happens if I'm up against something crazy, like Blazing Guardian psychopaths).

Hope that helps.
Reply Quote
I'm more interested in face tanking with minimal kiting, because if I have to kite then I'll just play my other toons who don't have to run around all day.

I know I can drop my DPS, increase armor, resist and HP. I can get more LOH and facetank but my DPS would be low and it would take me way too long to kill anything.

I think you're misunderstanding the play style I'm talking about. During combat, I don't kite—I move around when it's advantageous to do so. I use Dashing Strike when I need to stop attacking this mob for some reason (rotating sentries, Blazing Guardian INCOMING!, Desecrator, etc.) and want to immediately begin attacking that mob, which is in safer territory. So the sequence is usually like this:

1. Go nuts with Thunderclap.
2. Spider-sense tingling . . . DS to another target.
3. Resume step #1.

I don't think it's "kiting" if you never leave the room. I stand toe-to-toe with Magewraith elites in the Vault, purely on Ascension, Faith in the Light, Hard Target spam, and Dashing Strike. My up-time in a fight like this is high, but I wouldn't count what I'm doing as "face-tanking." I rarely have to reactivate Sweeping Wind (happens if I'm up against something crazy, like Blazing Guardian psychopaths).

Hope that helps.

How long does it take for you to kill an elite group at MP7? I would like to do it in less than 1.5 minutes. That's just my benchmark of whether it's efficient or not MP level for me to strive for.
Reply Quote
I think you're misunderstanding the play style I'm talking about. During combat, I don't kite—I move around when it's advantageous to do so. I use Dashing Strike when I need to stop attacking this mob for some reason (rotating sentries, Blazing Guardian INCOMING!, Desecrator, etc.) and want to immediately begin attacking that mob, which is in safer territory.

Hmmmm... I like this use of DS. I haven't thought of using it much outside of a substitute for Serenity. Lemme see if I can start integrating this style into my style of play. :)

BTW @OP, this is an example of what mean when I say "strategic kiting", although what I do is different from what Vrk does. It's basically knowing when to attack full-bore (using FoT) vs. gaining distance in your attacks (using DR) vs. strategic use of crowd control mechanics (using BF or stun weapons / skills) vs. switching targets for a while to rebuild health before reentering into difficult combat (using DS) vs. any other strategy you want to use if you aren't facetanking. It definitely keeps things interesting.
Reply Quote
I'm in the same boat. Same post here with my stats http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708951151#7 on looking to how to facetank.

I have a lot more mitigation 838 all resist and 5k+ armor yet cant facetank everything yet either. Wasnt sure if it was me or if it's the monk since wiz & barb can facetank with lesser mitigation.

I have a combination of both LS + LoH yet still having issues too
Reply Quote
How long does it take for you to kill an elite group at MP7? I would like to do it in less than 1.5 minutes. That's just my benchmark of whether it's efficient or not MP level for me to strive for.

Damn! I wish I'd seen this before I took down any of the following:
  • Elite Skeletons with Reflects Damage, Shielding, Electrified, and Arcane Enchanted
  • Elite Leapers with Plagued, Illusionist, Desecrator, and Frozen
  • Four-pack of Imps with Waller, Reflects Damage, Fire Chains, and Nightmarish
  • Four-pack of Imps with Vortex, Waller, Molten, and Electrified

Not exactly the combination you're looking for, but all the elements are present. The elite skeletons nearly killed me because of that damn RD bug for elites--I had to turn off Cyclone for a bit, whittle them down, and then reactivate it. I died once against the RD/FC Imps, but it was completely my fault--I let myself get walled into a corner and got pegged with NM with Serenity on cool-down. "Nowhere to run" plus "no control of character" equals "not much of a chance"! I nearly escaped, though--was in the clear when I got a-sploded.

Anyway, I'll time the next couple fights that have this sort of combo. Given that you have twice my paper DPS, I'd expect each fight to take half as long for you, all other factors being equal.
Reply Quote
Everything is fixed now, had to go back to cookie cutter build and just manage my cool downs. Biggest change was going back to BOH and changing passive to beacon. Thanks everyone.
Reply Quote

I wanted to come back to this. I just fought 25 elite packs in Act 3 on MP6. I died twice: once against some bugged RD elite stingers that got a lucky shot in on me, and another time when I tried to pick up a globe next to an arcane sentry and misjudged the hit box :)

Anyway, I tracked the kill times for the last 16. The average fight was a shade over 111 seconds. The worst was a rare Quillback pack with Molten, Arcane Enchanted, Electrified, and Jailer; that took 4 minutes, and I died once trying to shave the globe off the sentry when I could have waited it out. That's obviously set up to be a long fight: ranged enemy that likes to run, sentries to dodge, molten trails, and you're getting jailed, to boot. I also spent 4 minutes fighting two packs at once: Sk,ull Cleavers with Fire Chains, Desecrator, Waller, and Health Link, Pain Monger with Mortar, Teleport, and Knockback, and the rare Demonic Tremor with Desecrator on top of that.

So, let's look at MP6, MP7, my DPS, and your DPS, and see whether we can guestimate how long I'd need to kill the same packs on MP7, with your gear. First, I'm gonna eyeball it; second, I'm gonna go to bed; third, I'm gonna figure out a better answer tomorrow.

The jump from MP6 to MP7 is an increase of 40% to mob health, assuming that the info posted on the main Blizzard MP post is accurate. (I know the damage numbers aren't the same these days.) This means that I'd need 1.4 times as long to kill the same mobs, which means I'd need about 156 seconds to kill each pack. But your paper DPS is nearly 90% higher than mine, which suggests reducing that number roughly in half, which puts me at 82 seconds and change.

So: Eyeball test says I could kill elites in under 90 seconds, on average, with your DPS, all else being equal. I'll compare our real DPS figures tomorrow and gauge how close this estimate is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]