Diablo® III

For the last time, +X min = +(X-X)

That's why +30 min damage adds 30 ave damage and +30 max damage adds 15 ave damage. It's a stupid way to phrase it, but that's the way it's intended. Rubies and jewelry even had their descriptions rewritten in an attempt to make things clearer. (but that caused a hidden damage modifer bug in jewelry.)

So, if you have a weapon that is 100-200 damage. And you add a radiant star +20min +20max ruby in it. You get 120-240. THIS IS INTENDED.

The bug that the known issue list is referring to is that due to some legacy coding. If you have a 1-5 damage weapon, and you add the same radiant star ruby. What you end up with is 21-42, instead of 21-45. The algorithm checks that if after adding the +20min, your new min surpasses the OLD max, it replaces the the old max with new min +1. The reason for this bug is probably coz it's worded so poorly that even their own coders got confused and tried to "fix" a potential problem that wasn't there.

So if this was actually fixed to what is intended, you're going to see 21-42 going to 21-45. a BUFF. not nerf. All the EFs and Calamitys out there are safe.

EDIT: and if it's not clear +Y max = +(0-Y)
Edited by haushinka#1374 on 1/21/2013 10:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
Sorry I don't understand anything

All the EFs and Calamitys out there are safe.

What about rare black weapons?
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 10:46 PMPosted by stranger

Affixes with damage affixes, you can see that they roll 2 types which are:

+X to minimum damage
+(Y - X) to maximum damage

It's the same as:

+X - Y damage

For example, if X = 30 and Y = 70, you will see it as:

+30 to minimum damage
+40 to maximum damage

And:

+30 - 70 damage

If you calculate both, you'll get the same average damage.

In ruby's case, before the change in one of the patches, Ruby's description was '+X - Y damage' and once socketed into the weapon, you see the same. In order to avoid confusion, Blizzard change the description to '+X to minimum damage' and '+Y to maximum damage'.

Thus, if something gives +100 - 200, its average damage is 150 and when written in the second form, it's +100 to min, +100 to max.
Edited by Kevmeister#1659 on 1/22/2013 12:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
kev gets it. just to clarify,
in his post

+(Y - X) refers to X subtracted from Y.

+X - Y refers to adds X to Y damage.
Reply Quote

All the EFs and Calamitys out there are safe.

and yes. they will be buffed not nerfed. (if they fix it in a way that is consistent to EVERYTHING they've done so far)
Reply Quote

and yes. they will be buffed not nerfed. (if they fix it in a way that is consistent to EVERYTHING they've done so far)

Hope so, since I just bought "black" rare weapons. They were priced WAY low just 1 hour after the first post about "nerf to black wep" came up. I took my chances and I hope didn't waste my gold.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 09:27 PMPosted by haushinka
That's why +30 min damage adds 30 ave damage and +30 max damage adds 15 ave damage. It's a stupid way to phrase it, but that's the way it's intended.

ave=(min+max)/2

min1=x
max1=y

ave1=(x+y)/2

min2=x+30
max2=y

ave2=(x+30+y)/2=(x+y)/2+15=ave1+15

Now prove me wrong...
Reply Quote
That's why +30 min damage adds 30 ave damage and +30 max damage adds 15 ave damage. It's a stupid way to phrase it, but that's the way it's intended. Rubies and jewelry even had their descriptions rewritten in an attempt to make things clearer. (but that caused a hidden damage modifer bug in jewelry.)

So, if you have a weapon that is 100-200 damage. And you add a radiant star +20min +20max ruby in it. You get 120-240. THIS IS INTENDED.

The bug that the known issue list is referring to is that due to some legacy coding. If you have a 1-5 damage weapon, and you add the same radiant star ruby. What you end up with is 21-42, instead of 21-45. The algorithm checks that if after adding the +20min, your new min surpasses the OLD max, it replaces the the old max with new min +1. The reason for this bug is probably coz it's worded so poorly that even their own coders got confused and tried to "fix" a potential problem that wasn't there.

So if this was actually fixed to what is intended, you're going to see 21-42 going to 21-45. a BUFF. not nerf. All the EFs and Calamitys out there are safe.

EDIT: and if it's not clear +Y max = +(0-Y)

VOUCH!

blizzard's min damage is +(X+X) but max is +(0+X)

already tried it

ty men
Reply Quote
windforces would go from 1200 to 1450 dps, nice...
Reply Quote
Ummm, might I just point out that this makes NO sense. Yes, that's how min damage CURRENTLY works, but why are you assuming that that's how it SHOULD work? If it makes no sense, chances are THAT'S the bug.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 03:50 AMPosted by Guybrush
Ummm, might I just point out that this makes NO sense. Yes, that's how min damage CURRENTLY works, but why are you assuming that that's how it SHOULD work? If it makes no sense, chances are THAT'S the bug.

i guess you missed the whole point about blizzard REWRITING the tooltips of rubies and jewelry?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]