Diablo® III

Please change the way Keys drop

There are times it's incredibly frustrating trying to get keys (I ran 12 times to get one key at MP3, and just ran 11 times at MP4 and didn't even get one key). Rather than relying on RNG which is sometimes great, but often incredibly discouraging how about an alternative.

Instead of making keys an x% chance please consider changing the drop to "key fragments" based on the MP level.

It takes 10 fragments to make a key. At MP1 you get a guaranteed one fragment, at MP2 a guaranteed 2 fragments and so on up to a full 10 fragments at MP10. At MP0 it could be a 50% chance of a fragment dropping.

Takes the RNG out of farming keys and reduces the overall frustration that people suffer when they hit a really long streak of bad luck.

If you want a little more RNG you could use the same system but up the fragments. ie: it takes 100 fragments to make a key but there is a chance for more fragments to drop each level of MP. eg: at MP1 it's 1-10 fragments. At MP2 it's 11-20, at MP3 it's 21-30 up to MP10 which is a guaranteed 100 fragments.

Either way, you guarantee that a player always makes some progress towards a key. Unlike now where you can waste an entire day without a single key dropping :(
Reply Quote
sounds good
Reply Quote
thats why I only play mp10 when farming keys... only guarantee in the game.
Reply Quote
Make Diablo 3 to get easier? No thanks...
Reply Quote
So make the game easier?

Perhaps try farming in a higher MP or farming MP with friends/groups?

I've been farming at MP5 and moved to MP6 a bit as I get better gear. I could probably go higher but its not as efficient for me. At the same time I get a few legendary drops and also increase my level. Something to aim for instead of expecting it while providing a challenge.

Games are meant to be challenging! Plus to get a good hellfire ring you have to be really lucky anyway lol.
Reply Quote
mp10

sure key

nuff said
Reply Quote
I always farm in MP5 i drop a key one of two run, this is reasonable. Your system could be interesting for something else. For keys, it change nothing for Middle and high levels, and now with the falling prices it's pretty easy to buy a stuff to farm MP4-5
Edited by Synopsis#2182 on 1/22/2013 5:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
I can't say that I was always NV5 originally because I usually just play an act through, I don't *like* farming. But from the time the keys were added till last week I had precisely ONE key drop. So I started farming last week and definitely made sure I've been at five stack before killing the keymasters.

I did wonder if there was a bug where the keymaster "remembers" your NV stack from when you first encounter him. Because I've been attacked by the keymaster while on four stack and run away to reset the keymaster. I've killed another elite to get the fifth stack then gone back to kill the keymaster and I've never got a key that way. The one in Act I is really bad for it, it even agros from off screen. Its not even visible and those damned triple fireballs come flying from offscreen >_<

For the last couple comments: Its not about making the game easier its about making it more reliable and reducing a little of the RNG. It's not possible to farm at higher MP with my current gear (at least not efficiently) and grouping with my friends would actually make it even harder since most of them have worse gear than me. While Blizzard would be the only ones who'd know for sure, I suspect a huge percentage of players are in a similar situation.

@Xistre: Thats the whole problem - you need to be lucky to get a good ring when you make it. Meaning you probably need to farm a lot of keys to then farm the drops, to then craft the rings. So it's RNG on RNG on RNG. Which is quite frankly hellish unless you're doing it at MP10. I've spent the entire day today farming (about six hours I think) and got two keys from Act II and none from Act I. Its enough to make me want to quit.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 05:42 AMPosted by Synopsis
I always farm in MP5 i drop a key one of two run, this is reasonable. Your system could be interesting for something else. For keys, it change nothing for Middle and high levels, and now with the falling prices it's pretty easy to buy a stuff to farm MP4-5

Sorry, this one wasn't there when I replied. I have been farming at MP4. Eleven kills no keys. For a 40% chance of dropping it's pretty terrible. Hence the frustration, and the request to smooth out the system somehow.

Because as it stands I feel like 6 hours was a waste, I'd have much rather spent that watching a few movies or something. :(
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 05:26 AMPosted by Warmonger
You know u NEED to have 5 stacks of Valor in order for a key to have a chance to drop and need to be on inferno right?

I honestly think that this is the problem with a lot of the key whiners here.
They aint paying attention.
Reply Quote
Whenever I try to get keys, I don't bother with less than MP 10. My biggest issue is the time it takes to find the warden in act 1-2. Act 3 is simple enough because you aren't forced to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. It can take anywhere from 15 seconds to 5 minutes to find these key wardens, where as with Act 3, you take 2 minutes tops. It takes me 10-12 minutes on act 3 to get a key and it takes more like 20 minutes for act 1-2.
Edited by ISmkPotatoes#1756 on 1/22/2013 5:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
random is random

but

bad random is bad random

regardless of what we experience in the game, there will always be people bashing us about rng is rng. i honestly do not agree with rng is rng. and now we'll be asked to show proof of this 'bad rng'

easy, play the game yourselves.
Reply Quote
I'd definitely prefer to run MP10, but it'd take me far too long and I'd die far too often. I do agree that it's a pain trying to find the wardens as well. I missed one just before shutdown tonight after scouring almost the entire map in Fields of Misery. God only knows where it actually was.

@pichiepiegal: Not really sure what you're trying to say there - are you saying the RNG is or isn't bad? 0_o

And for the record, I'm sure that over time the RNG will even out, I might even have a run of four or five kills in a row where I get a key each time. But I'd much rather a situation where I build steadily than having to curse my way through long runs of bad luck.
Reply Quote
i mean im not good enough to do mp 6+ on my own but i can farm mp1-3 well enough and iv gotten 7 keys to drop on all mp1 in 3hours(of farming them) SO to be honest i dont think people know bout the 5 Valor and on inferno thing i mean hell u dont even need to do MP 1-10 u can just do it on inferno so ur 6hours with 11 runs would should be shortened drastically so ur 11 runs would be like what ? 50 or something anyhow all im saying is it doesnt need to be fixed its fine how it is.
Edited by Warmonger#1958 on 1/22/2013 6:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 06:01 AMPosted by Carnacki
@pichiepiegal: Not really sure what you're trying to say there - are you saying the RNG is or isn't bad? 0_o

let's just say there is rng but there's also bad rng. i'll just say

d3 = gambling
gambling = rigged
d3 = rigged
Reply Quote
I'd definitely prefer to run MP10, but it'd take me far too long and I'd die far too often. I do agree that it's a pain trying to find the wardens as well. I missed one just before shutdown tonight after scouring almost the entire map in Fields of Misery. God only knows where it actually was.

And for the record, I'm sure that over time the RNG will even out, I might even have a run of four or five kills in a row where I get a key each time. But I'd much rather a situation where I build steadily than having to curse my way through long runs of bad luck.

Your biggest issue is your weapon. The DPS and CD are good, but there isn't a main stat, vit or LS on it. I suggest a 1,300+ DPS Skorn or double 1 handers. Also, it is much better to go mainly defense than it is to go for DPS. Not dying is also DPS.
Edited by ISmkPotatoes#1756 on 1/22/2013 6:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Warmonger; I spent about half of that 6 hours running Act II for keys there. Not sure how many runs, going on my average run speed of 3-4 an hour, probably 10-12 runs to get 2 keys. And then the 11 runs for no keys in Act I. So about 22ish runs over six hours for two keys total.

Just working on odds, 22 runs with a 40% chance should be roughly 8-9 keys. Even if I could run fifty times at MP1 thats 50 at a 10% chance which is theoretically 5 keys. Just working on the math I'd need 80-90 runs to get 8-9 keys so 13-15 runs per hour. I guess some people could do it, but theres no way I could plough through that quick, even on MP1. And MP0 doubles the numbers.

And yes it is possible for the keys to drop even at MP0 - a friend got a few at MP0/1. Based on his luck he was about 30% chance not 5%. Thats another part of what is so frustrating.

And I do know about the NV stacks, I was specifically running Festering Woods first to build the stacks. But you're right I think people don't realise since it's not obvious in the game UI. So unless you've read the patch notes you wouldn't know. Kinda counterintuitive that one. But I guess Blizzard want to slow down the farming time.

@pichapiegal: Ah yeah ok. I get you.
Reply Quote
@Warmonger; I spent about half of that 6 hours running Act II for keys there. Not sure how many runs, going on my average run speed of 3-4 an hour, probably 10-12 runs to get 2 keys. And then the 11 runs for no keys in Act I. So about 22ish runs over six hours for two keys total.

Just working on odds, 22 runs with a 40% chance should be roughly 8-9 keys. Even if I could run fifty times at MP1 thats 50 at a 10% chance which is theoretically 5 keys. Just working on the math I'd need 80-90 runs to get 8-9 keys so 13-15 runs per hour. I guess some people could do it, but theres no way I could plough through that quick, even on MP1. And MP0 doubles the numbers.

And yes it is possible for the keys to drop even at MP0 - a friend got a few at MP0/1. Based on his luck he was about 30% chance not 5%. Thats another part of what is so frustrating.

And I do know about the NV stacks, I was specifically running Festering Woods first to build the stacks. But you're right I think people don't realise since it's not obvious in the game UI. So unless you've read the patch notes you wouldn't know. Kinda counterintuitive that one. But I guess Blizzard want to slow down the farming time.

@pichapiegal: Ah yeah ok. I get you.

6 hours for 2 keys... Get a better weapon, use HotA Smash/Thunder Strike and Rend Blood Lust at the very least. I also suggest using Battle Rage into the fray. If you plan to use a 2H, I suggest you at the very least get life steal on it. Your belt is very nice, but its definitely worth getting an IK belt over that. I suggest getting another piece of IK as well to get more AR, I recommend the chest armor. If you use these things, you can do MP 10 comfortably. Just make sure to rend a lot. Now, even to say you go slow, 2 keys in an hour is easily done in MP 10.
Reply Quote
Man If you can't do higher MP why are you farming keys at all??? After you gazillion runs to get the three keys, then what? You craft your machine and......? You are never going to get a ring dude. You don't want to run with friends which means you will need 3 machines. So multiply your time by 3. Then when you finally get your machines, you are going to do mp3 Ubers??? You are going to waste those machines on low organ drop chances. The hellfire is for people who can do higher MP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]