Diablo® III

Less 1 minute of gameplay before shutdown

When I login if I go straight into a game I can play for about 1 minute and then the computer shutsdown. If I stop in the auction house I can stay logged in for about 5 minutes until the shutdown occurs.

I have cleared my cache.
I have tried underclocking GPU with MSI Afterburner.

Nothing seems to be working.

I have a dual core processor 3.4 Ghz, 16 Gb ram, and nVidia 6700m series GPU.

This only happens with Diablo 3. I still play EQ2 and other games and have no issues with them only with Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
stubbe,

There's a good chance your laptop is overheating causing it to shutdown.

Download and run HWMonitor from: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.21-setup.exe

Now start the game and let it run several minutes sitting on the login screen. Then exit or alt-tab out and see what the highest temperature is that was reached for both the cpu and gpu. It may shut down on that screen too though as there's really nothing holding back the gpu from running at a high fps unless you have vsync enabled or use the in-game fps limiters to keep it down.
Reply Quote
Thanks I will do this when I get home tonight.

My home computer (one with the issue) is a desktop.

I have gone to the options menu and limited FPS to 30, and I still have this issue. I should have mentioned that before.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
stubbe,

If you have an "nVidia 6700m series GPU", it should be a laptop as the m in the model number denotes a mobile gpu.

Also, and I should have caught this earlier, there doesn't seem to be an Nvidia gpu with that model number. Are you sure it's not an AMD card? Are you sure it has an M in the number?
Reply Quote
Sorry,

I do have an AMD 6700 series GPU, my old GPU was an nVIDIA.

I ran the Hardware Monitor and the GPU temperature climbed to 104 at my last check before the computer crashed.

Thanks,
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
stubbe,

If that 104 was in Celsius, it's getting too hot and is in all likelihood the cause for the shutdowns.

I suggest:

Unplug the computer from the AC power source, open it up, and using a can of compressed air in the upright position, not upside down, clean out the video card's fan and heatsink assembly. That's often all it takes to restore proper cooling to it
Reply Quote
Thanks,

When I pulled the cover off the computer I noticed the fan on the GPU almost dangling off the card. I will be checking to see if I got a warranty on the card when I bought it last year.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]