Diablo® III

Black Weapons vs. Elemental Weapons - Blizzards Options

So that we all know that there is that bug with black dmg now, lets see what options does Blizzard have to fix the whole thing?

1. Blizzards gonna do nothing and it'll stay as it is now, may wait for the expansion to fix this whole thing by introducing new better weapons. though i dont think this is gonna happen, bc they want to balance the gap between black and elemental weapons.

2. Fix the bug for all Black Weapons and nerf all existing and future Black weapons. even though they dont want to do this, bc of making some peoples gear less worth, it would be the best option to bring all weapons closer in balance.

3. Buff all existing Black weapons by fixing this bug and let them double dip from the min dmg. But then they have to find a solution for Elemental Dmg as well...

4. Buff all existing and future elemental weapons by letting them profit from this bug as well and call it an undintentional but included feature of the game. Other options would be to make Elemental dmg profit from %EnhancedDmg and/or %ElementalDmg

One of the biggest problems simply is that now 8 months after release they cant nerf exisitng weapons bc of the outcry of the community, but they also cant bring new better weapons as well, bc that would make existing ones less worth too. So they either nerf / buff all existing and future weapons or they dont touch it at all and let it be an unbalanced mess.

So whatever they may do, they have to do smth, with the new Ruby itll just increse the gap between Black and Elemental Dmg even more, bc Black weapons completely double dip the min dmg from the ruby, while elemental weapons don't. But they have to be carefull, it can end in the biggest outcry or it could also lead to a completely balanced Dmg Fix for all players.

So let me hear what u think about it, what is the best for the game and if u have other options show them.
Edited by Mal0n3#2557 on 1/24/2013 6:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I'm confused...why is normal damage stronger
than elemental? Do enemies just have higher
elemental resistance than armor or something?
Reply Quote
So that we all know that there is that bug with black dmg now...

WHAT THE F*** DO YOU MEAN 'NOW'???

ARE YOU FROM MARS - -
Reply Quote
The bug simply is: when the mindmg+basemindmg dmg from a blackweapon is higher than the base max dmg of the weapon this becomes the new max dmg of the weapon, so that it results in mindmg+basemindmg for mindmg and mindmg+basemindmg+maxdmg for the max dmg. so instead of adding the max dmg to the base max dmg of the weapon itll be added to the new min dmg +1 that is higher than the base max dmg and dont forget that the %Enhanced dmg is added on that as well. This simply is a stupid design mistake of the dps calculation, People found out about this, when they tried to calculate their weapons and it didnt work. so weapons with a higher min dmg will also be always better than ones with a low min dmg and the basemaxdmg of a weapon doesnt even count at all, why do they even have it?

Thats why u can find 1300 dps blackdmg 1h while ull never find smth compairable with elemental dmg

So in general by fixing this bug for example the best 1300dps EF becomes a 1150 EF which doesnt mean its bad, black dmg is still needed for %EleDmg and there are no other legendary or set 1h that can reach that high dps +Critdmg+socked+mainstat+ or instead of socked or critdmg LL. Some people may argue hey its also a bug that the min dmg doesnt double dip, bc normally +24min and +24max dmg is 24-48 avarage dmg and the black dmg on a weapon sure is lower with +300min and around +300max than some elemental weapons with up to 300-700, but people shouldnt forget that black dmg is affected by Enhanced dmg.
Easy balancing would be to fix the bug, make black dmg double dip so +300min and +300max = 300-600 but then dont let it be effected by %ED

This whole dmg calculation is a total mess and doesnt work as it should, at least not for Blackweapons and when u count in the new ruby those weapons get 150-300 +%ED while elemental Weapons only get around 150-200 +ED if at all, weapons with very low basemindmg would only get 150-150. So the new ruby is a buff to all blackweapons, while Elemental weapons arent affected that much, which is completely stupid, bc the blackweapons are the best now anyway.

BLIZZ has to fix this.
Edited by Mal0n3#2557 on 1/24/2013 5:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
Sjoooommmmm

Thats the sound of this bug going way over my head...

Edit: So is the whole +% on elemental dmg for that matter, where i need a black weapong to get my +8%pioson dmg from my zunni boots or something.. Blizz removed some major fun parts from the initial game because they where afraid people dont have the brain to understand it yet this kind of stuff makes it in the game... /sigh
Edited by Neothanos#1734 on 1/24/2013 5:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Sjoooommmmm

Thats the sound of this bug going way over my head...

Haha, thats what i thought when i heard first about it, but it actually is very simple math.
Thats why i didnt really want to describe the whole bug when making the post and u can find several out there that explain this very well

So is the whole +% on elemental dmg for that matter, where i need a black weapong to get my +8%pioson dmg from my zunni boots or something.. Blizz removed some major fun parts from the initial game because they where afraid people dont have the brain to understand it yet this kind of stuff makes it in the game... /sigh

Exactly Blackdmg is needed for +%Eledmg to get the full bonus + only Blackdmg is affected by %enhanced Dmg + there is this bug that causes Blackweapons to get more dmg + the ruby makes this bug even worse and add even more dmg to blackweapons.
So it kinda looks like Blizz is telling us "HEY, Use a Blackweapon or GTFO", look at diabloprogress all the highest dps players have blackweapons (only Dhs have psn dmg on their manti, but they ll also heavily be affected by this bug, when using 2 rubies u can boost it up to over 2k dps making it like 300-500 bonus dmg +%ED!!!) Thats why i cant understand blizzard, what were they thinking when introducing the new Ruby?? Ok now it is bugged and blackweapons are stronger, but the gap isnt THAT big (though there clearly is an inbalance btw Black and Ele Weap.) and then they bring out the Gem that increses that Problem massively..... I dont see the point

All im asking for is some balance and diversity....!!!
Edited by Mal0n3#2557 on 1/24/2013 3:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
If they really want the game to be good they have to fix it . Even if there are people who are going to get mad.
Edited by aLi3n#2518 on 1/25/2013 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
If they really want the game to be good they have to fix it . Even if there are people who are going to get mad.

It's more than just mad. Do you know what happens to a company when it receives mass chargebacks?

THe only option is do nothing or buff both but black damage should ALWAYS be on top. People have paid more for those weapons. It's that simple.

If they fix the issue some black weapons get nerfed and some get buffed. And since it's case by case basis it's just not a logical fix.
Edited by FeRMi#1453 on 1/25/2013 8:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ha I just basically said the same thing on the other post so I agree don't nerf buff everything else
Reply Quote
THe only option is do nothing or buff both but black damage should ALWAYS be on top. People have paid more for those weapons. It's that simple.

I basiacally have no problem with Blackweapons being on the top, I always accepted having a little lower dmg as cm wiz, having a little more ehp, using Chantodos bc of the Aps and get most of the effective dmg from my build/gear choice. (I think its really sad, that i dont really profit from it in PvP, it seems like my apoc, Loh and aps is kinda useless)
But what i cant understand that they buff Blackweapons with the Ruby, while elemental weapons almost dont profit at all from it (except Manticore due to double socked), It cant be, that the best gets buffed even more and all that due to a bug.
Reply Quote
For Blizzard to change the way Black Weapons work.. they HAVE to give importance to the frigging Elemental Damage.. D3 its the First (and i know the last) that elemental dmg doesn't give a fork.. those changes won't come in a patch.. i'm pretty sure they will implement a hole new system how the dmg works in expansion.. the thing is.. the way it going right know.. i don't see a "best-seller" expansion set..
Reply Quote
Blizzard has already announced they are not fixing this.............so what is the point of this thread.

Also, Blizzard has stated they knew of this problem LONG ago............so again, what is the point here?
Reply Quote
Blizzard has already announced they are not fixing this.............so what is the point of this thread.

Also, Blizzard has stated they knew of this problem LONG ago............so again, what is the point here?

They actually only said, that they wont "NERF" the current Blackweapons, Which im fine with, but the Ruby even increses the gap between Blackdmg and Ele Weapons, so the very least im asking for, is that they change how the ruby currently works on the PTR. they could like several other stated change even the current blackweapons so that they dont Profit from the bug anymore, but have a higher +max dmg to match their current DPS. Then all Weapons would gain the same dmg from the Ruby which is kinda fair.
I also talked with some guys on the PTR about the whole thing and everyone agreed with me, that the whole thing cant go live, even a DH agreed with me, he was gaining 100k dmg from the rubies in his Manticore, upgrading it to 20xx dps.
Edited by Mal0n3#2557 on 1/26/2013 9:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Have to look at the big picture... Not everyone has a 1300+DPS one hander, they are rare and expensive. If Blizz goes ahead with the nerf it will effect many more people than just the fortunate few with 1300 dps one handers. It would cause many borderline black weapons (that most people have) 1000-1100 DPS to become useless.

Blizz is doing the right thing leaving it alone. If they leave it alone I won't hold it against them that they failed at math.
Reply Quote
I thought elemental weapons was better than regular weapons..(it should in my opinion, its a magical)

Why not have the elemental damage add its damage to the total after the regular damage is calculated, wouldn't that fix it?

For the elemental weapons magic,add cool effects....

fire: burns the enemy and maybe nearby enemies and breakable objects.
poison:damage over time
ice:slows enemies or/and chance to freeze
lightning:chance to stun.plus extra damage against water-like creatures(quills)
arcane:extra damage against unholy enemies(demons,undead)
Reply Quote
My monks fist weapon would have like 600 dps if they "fixed" this =/
Reply Quote
To sum up... even though elemental damage weapons provide the correct dps as advertised, some owners of them want non-elemental (black) weapons nerfed so the dps becomes less than advertised, thus making elemental weapons more powerful (on a relative basis). Alternatively, it would also be acceptable to these owners if elemental damage weapons were simply buffed across the board.

I don't really care as Bliz has stated that if they ever make this change (fix the bug), it will only apply to new weapons that drop, not retroactively to items already in use.
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 2/5/2013 3:46 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]