Diablo® III

Need 2 Weapons - Please Advise

I need to buy two weapons for my Monk. I'm thinking of spending about 400m each for a total of 800mil, but I can stretch it to 1Bil total if I need to.

I assume they both need to have the following stats on them:
Dex: 100+
Crit Dam: 50+
Life Steal: 2.5+
Open Socket.

Fists or Swords so I can sustain 2.00 Attack Speed on both.

I don't know if I need an all "black" damage weapon or if one with elemental damage is just as good. Coming from a Witch Doctor, "black" damage weapons where a HUGE boost.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
Black damage doesn't matter TOO much. Usually only if you have a bunch of "adds +X% to element" type gear. You have that on one piece (your belt) so it matters a little to you. Could mean as much as 8K damage or so, I'd guess. When in doubt, use a spreadsheet or an onine DPS calculator (like d3up.com or the asiangamer)

Most top end dual-wielding Monks are using an Echoing Fury in one hand and a rare in the other. The reason it's so good is that it has that +0.21 to 0.25 to attack speed, which actually adds to BOTH weapons' speed. It only has two random properties, though, so you'll have to choose between socket+LS or socket+CD usually.

If you do go for an EF, go with a rare like you plan in the other hand. You don't have to limit yourself to swords; if you have an EF, you shouldn't have any trouble maintaining Mantra spam with any other weapon.

I wouldn't be set in stone on spending the same amount on each weapon. Just try to get the best you can for your budget, which may mean spending more on one weapon (especially if you go the EF route).

And while Dex is good, at the high end it sometimes crowds out DPS. I'd be flexible on getting a weapon without Dex if it had a corresponding amount of extra DPS (Often from rolling increased attack speed instead of Dex).
Reply Quote
wow u have 800m to spend :(
Reply Quote
Thanks Demi...I'm really not a fan of the EF and the fear. I had a top end EF on my WW Barb and I couldn't stand it.

For me to enjoy the game, I'll have to pursue to two rares. I just checked and it seems I can get much better weapons without dex on them. I'll start there.
Edited by IPawnU#1220 on 1/22/2013 3:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
Bump...still can't decide. Anyone else want to weigh in?
Reply Quote
EF!!!!!!
Reply Quote
Yeah I've been thinking about picking up an EF with low fear, Dex, CD and Socket. Pairing it up with another weapon that has Dex, CD, LS and Open Socket or LoH, CD, LS and Open Socket.

I'm just not sure how much if any of LoH I need and if I want to go with two weapons with LS on it for MP8+ RD packs.

I was about to pull the trigger on two weapons last night, they both had LoH, CD, LS and Open Socket. I would have ended up with 800+ LoH, 5+ LS, 100+ CD and two open sockets that I could use to either load up more CD or LoH.
Edited by IPawnU#1220 on 1/23/2013 4:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
800M... wow...

I wouldn't mind 10% of that... Although, even that isn't enough to get upgrades...

I think once you get to 150k dps unbuffed, you only need LS on one weapon... but if you have the gold, more LS and LoH the better if it doesn't sacrifice dps.

Also, RD is getting nerfed. No idea the effects on RD packs. Just don't tag them with Exploding Palm... bad memories... lol
Edited by jonclau#1835 on 1/23/2013 6:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks.

I'm starting to really lean on getting an EF with 1100+ base dps, .24 Attacks per Second, Dex 150+, CD 50+ and an open socket, with sub 12% fear.

Paired with

Rare Sword/Axe that has 1100+base dps, 600+ LoH, 2.8+ LS, 50+ CD, open socket.

I'm really confused on something though regarding the EF and how the .24 Attacks per Second is applied.

Can you help understand how the EF works with offhand weapon IAS?

I have enough IAS to get exactly 2.00 Attacks per Second with two 1.4 Attacks per Second weapons. So regardless of which weapon I swing I have exactly 2.00 Attacks per Second for each when swinging them.

When I swap out one weapon with an EF that has .24 extra Attacks per Second, my Attacks per Second goes from 2.00 to 2.31 on the EF and the other weapon goes from 2.00 and 2.03.

I thought that the .24 Attacks per Second on the EF applied to both weapons, so if they both start out at 2.00, by adding .24 Attacks per Second from the EF (which applies to both weapons?) both my swings should be 2.31...no?

Cuz it only shows 2.31 for the EF and 2.03 for the other. I'm confused.

btw, I have 1.1Bil and change. I made a killing selling my 185k WD set since they're so hot right now in pvp. Spent only 750mil on the entire set. Sold it for 1.5Bil and I got another 1Bil for kicks.
Edited by IPawnU#1220 on 1/23/2013 6:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
EF for sure might I suggest a really good dagger also they tend to be cheaper and imo they are perfect for monks as the extra ias just flat out rocks and they look cool. Swords are really expensive probably the most expensive weapon type mby fist weapons are more idk.

Your EF is probably the slower of the two so im guessing the sword is the 2.3 and the ef is the 2.0
Edited by Calamity#1271 on 1/23/2013 6:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 06:54 AMPosted by WWWWWWWWWORP
Your EF is probably the slower of the two so im guessing the sword is the 2.3 and the ef is the 2.0

ooooo right right...that makes sense...I need to check again and make sure.
Reply Quote
I vote WKL with an EF both with LS and open sockets :)

actually based off your gear id go with a high DPS rare spear with 1100+ dps cd/os/LS or 600+ LoH, then Id get an EF with lS/OS. If you do go for this I'd vote on black damage on your spear.
Reply Quote
WKL pretty much limits me to using FoT as my main attack...I don't want to get tied down like that, but it's an amazing weapon.

Also, with all the changes to RD in 1.0.7, I'm hearing that double LS on weapons may be overkill or not needed if you break 150K unbuffed dps.

I hope I'll break 150K unbuffed dps with these two weapons.
Reply Quote
I use a Dagger and Sword as my main build.

http://d3up.com/b/150822/view/slug/batuo-ubers

That gear puts me @ > 2 APS and > 150K unbuffed. Perhaps you can use it as a point of reference.
Reply Quote
@Edward

Thanks for the reference point. I'm looking into it now. It looks like you have more IAS and Avg Dam gear over me, so I hope by me getting two 1100+ base dps weapons it'll put me at or over 150K+ dps.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

MainHand: 1100+ DPS Echoing Fury with .24+ Attacks per Second, Dex 150+, CD 50+, Open Socket, Low Fear

OffHand: 1100+ DPS Axe/Sword/Spear/Mace with 500-600+ LoH, 50+ CD, 2.8+ LS, Open Socket.

Now to find these suckers. if anyone has anything in this realm up for sale, please hit me up.
Edited by IPawnU#1220 on 1/23/2013 8:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 07:41 AMPosted by IPawnU
WKL pretty much limits me to using FoT as my main attack

its the best main attack, and they didn't change any of the main attacks in the patch

single LS with no LoH for PvP seems risky, GL
Reply Quote
WKL pretty much limits me to using FoT as my main attack

its the best main attack, and they didn't change any of the main attacks in the patch

single LS with no LoH for PvP seems risky, GL

OffHand: 1100+ DPS Axe/Sword/Spear/Mace with 500-600+ LoH, 50+ CD, 2.8+ LS, Open Socket.

I getting at least 500 LoH along with 2.8+LS...dont' you think that should help balance it out a bit for PvE and PvP?

I was thinking of getting two LS and LoH weapons at one point as well, for a total of 5+ LS and 1000+ LoH.
Edited by IPawnU#1220 on 1/23/2013 8:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
2.8 lS and 500 LoH should work fine, sorry i miss read one of your posts and didn't realize you wrote LoH

im aiming for 2.8lS with ~800LoH with ~500LPS
Reply Quote
@Edward

Thanks for the reference point. I'm looking into it now. It looks like you have more IAS and Avg Dam gear over me, so I hope by me getting two 1100+ base dps weapons it'll put me at or over 150K+ dps.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

MainHand: 1100+ DPS Echoing Fury with .24+ Attacks per Second, Dex 150+, CD 50+, Open Socket, Low Fear

Now to find these suckers. if anyone has anything in this realm up for sale, please hit me up.

Glad to help.

I think that (2) 1100 + DPS weapons will more than make up for your lack of average damage, though I think your Offhand will be tough to find. It might be better to go for a high DPS dagger w/LS . CD and an Open socket.

That way you increase your AS, which increases the # of cyclones, which increases the amount of LS you get. Of course that only works with a FoT: Cyclone Build.

I am a little curious as to why you would go back to a EF when you hated it as a barb? I get the whole +.XX AS benefit for both weapons but you seemed pretty adamant about your disdain towards that weapon.
Reply Quote
The offhand mentioned will likely eat up most of your budget, or at the very least has a great potential too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]