Diablo® III

Intel is ending desktop PC mobo development...

Um... Maybe this is a more general blizzard question, or perhaps an industry-wide question, but...

http://m.tomshardware.com/news/intel-ceases-motherboard-production-haswell,20631.html

...how does this bode for current and future Blizzard titles? Will they jump ship to consoles? Or skip right to the smartphone/tablet platform, where everyone else seems to be heading?
Edited by Scourge#1319 on 1/22/2013 5:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
It's not that big of a deal. There are other mobo manufacturers and frankly at this point in the game, the market is too crowded to compete. I would rather they keep producing quality CPU's and such. I took a look at the article, they said a similar thing I said here:
According to a conversation we had with company representatives, Intel has enough confidence in third-party board vendors to facilitate the stability expected from its own motherboards.
Reply Quote
True, but isn't a huge part of Blizzard's customer base using integrated Intel boards?

Don't they traditional build for the lower common denominator PCs to get more market share?

Intel leaving the integrated desktop mobo market could hurt Blizzards profits if the casuals don't want to build their own machines part by part. Unless they like shopping Alienware and Apple, aka, completely overpriced...
Edited by Scourge#1319 on 1/22/2013 5:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Not trying to be mean... but, you don't know much about computer components/hardware do you? This won't change anything for games on PCs. It won't change anything for prebuilt PCs either. The world will go on without Intel motherboards.
Reply Quote
If u think about current state of cellphones, its obvious that cellphones will be powerful enough to run full pc games sooner or later.
Bluetooth keyboard and mouse? Why not?
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 05:52 PMPosted by Picard
Eventually, Desktops will disappear. The future belongs to ipad-like technology. Let us enjoy PC gaming while it lasts

I chuckled. Good show, chap.
Reply Quote
Desktops are going no where. Tablet gaming will always be silly flash games with gimmick touch screen play, and maybe some ports of older games. I doubt tablet gaming will ever reach a state where it puts any other form of gaming in a bad spot.
Reply Quote
People have been saying that PC gaming is going to die off for 15 years.

So far they have been wrong. So badly wrong that they have looked like "Chicken Little" for 15 years.

First it was consoles, then other devices, but the truth of the matter is that as long as there is a gaming market, someone will make games to them as there is profit to be made.

The current ADHD generation might very well not need any game more complex than a phone can handle, but us older gamers won't be dead in 20 years. Indeed, most of us won't be dead in 40 years. We aren't going to be happy with a "YOU WIN" flashing over our heads every 10 seconds in a mindlessly easy cannot-possibly-lose game like fruit ninja.

We are going to want widespread sweeping mind-expanding complex games like those that simulate galactic economies. (Like Star Citizen...)

Tablets and phones will indeed advance, but their "experience" of using tiny, cramped, or inaccurate controllers just isn't going to cut it for my generation. Indeed, as we grow older, expect touchscreens and tiny phone keyboards to die off and motion or thought-controlled devices become more the norm. When the device doesn't have to fit in your lap because the interface is your own body or thought patterns, why not load up on potency?

Sure, there will always be "Darwin-candidates" who complain about anything over 3lbs, and there is no guarantee that future generations will actually get any better if they keep drowning kids in Ritalin, but those of my generation will be gaming for some time to come.

As long as there is a market and money to be made, someone will try.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 09:06 PMPosted by Azmir
The current ADHD generation might very well not need any game more complex than a phone can handle, but us older gamers won't be dead in 20 years. Indeed, most of us won't be dead in 40 years. We aren't going to be happy with a "YOU WIN" flashing over our heads every 10 seconds in a mindlessly easy cannot-possibly-lose game like fruit ninja.

I agree.
Reply Quote
So who's looking forward to swipe-to-attack gestures and tilt-to-move mechanics?

lol.
Reply Quote
in my opinion, as long as us gamers from Generation Y are still alive and kicking, desktops aren't going anywhere. i still prefer staying at home in front of the screen while mashing buttons away, whether it be console or desktop.

nvidia's project shield is looking to destroy that preference though.
Edited by eljpe#6460 on 1/22/2013 9:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
This has absolutely nothing to do with disappearing desktop computers.

Intel is just not going to make motherboards anymore. Other companies will. Intel motherboards were generally not very good and overpriced anyway.
Reply Quote
View profile
The way the industry seems to be going is where Valve seems to be going. A central pc which streams to smaller or larger devices.

Also there are plenty of reasons to have a desktop for more than just gaming.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]