Diablo® III

Runewords will make this game better

First off, let me start by saying that this game has come a long way since launch, and that while a lot of people on this forum are quick to criticize its flaws, Diablo 3 is a proper successor to D2. One thing that made D2 so great however, was runewords. Not only did these items give players great new abilities and powers, it also made the item hunt MUCH more compelling. Part of what made D2's item hunt better than what it is now is that there were far more items to keep an eye out for (I miss jewels/charms), and even gray items that looked like trash on the ground could be worth a fortune if they rolled just right. Also, in many cases, the runes themselves made a big difference when socketed into uniques.

Now, I know runewords wouldn't be implemented over night, and they shouldn't be, but consider what community-led issues you could simultaneously address with them:

- Gems don't allow enough choice when socketed into items
I hear this point brought up now and then, and it's definitely true. Gems only offer players a chance to add on to main stats, but there are dozens of other stats that players like to focus on. Runes that add to runspeed, pickup radius, resource regeneration, etc. would add a great twist to sockets in general and would go a loooong way towards addressing player gripes about itemization.

-I like running bosses, said no one, ever
If runes only had a chance to drop from bosses (and rare spawns, rare spawns never get any love), you would immediately see players change what areas they target. The game has gotten a bit too repetitive, and by incentivizing boss kills (with 5nv), you'll open up so much more content to farming, which is a good thing. I think you would also have to change it so that bosses spawned even if you were on a later quest, as some have suggested.
Also, Act IV is a bit weak right now. You can help that by giving Diablo the highest chance to drop a rune, adding more elites to the act, and making the key warden drop a random key. Also, Whimsysire needs a boss, like the cow king before it.

-White items are pointless
Right now, white/grey items are simply a relic from D2. If diablo 3 was the first of its kind, those white items probably wouldn't be there. But, back in D2, you had to have a sharp eye out for these, because they had the potential to become great runewords. This game sorely needs that aspect added back to the item hunt. I think you can make some improvements here and there to help newbies that aren't familliar with the system, for example by perhaps giving these socketed items their own text color.

- People only wear legendaries now, AKA itemization is bad
Patch 1.04 went a long way towards making this a better game, but a lot of people are still underwhelmed when they think about what it has done for itemization. With runewords, you can take the sprit of that patch a step further, by introducing new items that offer new abilities, new choices, and perhaps bonuses for skills & builds that may currently be unpopular.
One good example here is shields. Very few people use shields (especially not ranged classes) because inferno is no longer as dangerous as it was at launch, and because the alternatives allow the player to do much more damage. New runeword shields can address this by perhaps featuring stats that weren't on shields before, like critical hit damage, or by giving interesting new abilities, like reflect damage.

Like I said before, I feel like the game is in a good place right now. I could criticize account bound items or criticize events for being worth nothing more than an NV stack (when they sounded awesome at launch), but the truth is...diablo 3 is pretty fun right now. Yeah, I said it! The thing is, it's also too repetitive, and there are parts of the content I haven't enjoyed since launch. Runewords would have a massive impact on the item hunt, and would therefore make farming more rewarding and more diverse.

Discuss!
Reply Quote
View profile
i agree gems dont have enough choice when using socketed items.
i do enjoy running bosses, but it does feel unrewarding. the plans in 1.0.7 might help but only a little.
with the system they have for sockets runewords wouldnt really work. at most they would have a 3 rune runeword for armors. and armors are the only thing that has more than 1 socket.

some slots people only use rares, and it is possible to get rares almost just as good as most legendarys except items with unique stats (mempo, innas pants, ext.). with the new crafting people are more likely to use rares (crafted) for the higher main stat they can roll.

if anything maybe add new or change the way legendary crafting plans work so that they require a special crafting item (rune like).

the main thing i think people want is an item that has set stats so you know what you get when you craft it. they have that with the legendary/set plans. its just these arent as good as most other items.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 01:54 PMPosted by Zaxxon23
and by incentivizing boss kills (with 5nv), you'll open up so much more content to farming, which is a good thing.

How exactly do you propose that when NV forces champ/elite farming as the most efficient and worthwhile playstyle?

Say you kill seven champs/elites plus a boss. Only three of those kills are at full NV. Say that you could complete three boss kills in the same time that it takes you to do one Akaiser run. That one Akaiser run of 17 champs/elites nets 12 mobs at 5xNV in comparison to only 9 mobs at 5xNV for boss runs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all on board for boss kills. Champ/elite farming should be an option, not the primary way to progress. Quite simply, NV kills boss runs and makes this game boring. I wish they would ditch it.

No NV has a lot of benefits and I don't think you give it credit because you say it makes boss runs inefficient, and makes the game repetitive by forcing you to kill the same thing over and over. But think about it, without NV, you're saying you'd start a game, and then from hop from boss to boss. How is this not repetitive also?

WITH NV, you have to at least refresh it after a couple bosses in order to keep playing, not to mention the 5 you have to start with. That little break in your boss run keeps things from getting old, and you never know what affixes that pack will have. I think that gives the game a better balance.
Reply Quote
You could also use runes and gems to add sockets to white items.

You could also use your imbue quest on white items to create a rare item.

You could also use your socket quest to add max sockets to white items.

There were so many ways you could do so many things in the old Diablo games.

Diablo 3 is just silly.
Reply Quote
If they do this, I want it done right, and I know what is right- or close to it.

all white armor must be crafted to orange armor first, orange armor has 4 stats, low stats, like +10 to 50 str, or 0.2 to 2% crit, and such. and random sockets (unless the white armor has sockets). Then, you can runeword the orange items. Also, no unsocketing.

I think 3 tiers of runes would be good too, like low runes, medium runes, and high runes, and each tier has a set equal chance of dropping (high runes being that of a set, medium being that of a legendary, low runes 5x higher than legendary).
Reply Quote
d3 has runes already. get with it.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 02:16 PMPosted by darkthrone

That's skill runes and has no relation to item sockets. The gems in D3 have no depth compared to D2 runewords.
Reply Quote

That's skill runes and has no relation to item sockets. The gems in D3 have no depth compared to D2 runewords.

Yeah the D3 runes don't really do the D2 runes justice, but they have alreay used the term...

I know this is an unrelated point, but the "+ X to all skills" affix was so boring in D2. I'm glad they got rid of it. However, the new skills affixes in D3 are underrated, especially if they're rolled high (like 7% crit or 14% damage).

It would be pretty cool if, to help set them apart from legendaries, all runewords added this bonus to some random skill. I think they should provide these bonuses to more skills though, I hate the ones they chose.
Edited by DotDo#1627 on 1/21/2013 3:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
Some runewords ruined D2 for me(see enigma), i'd prefer to see Jewels that have a chance to roll cool properties like the runewords had. Such as a Jewel that offered:

+20 to All Res
+9 IAS
Allows player to use Summon Zombie Dog Skill

Or

+75 Str
+9 Block Chance
Allows Player to cast Blizzard for % resource cost

Edit: Maybe instead of it costing you a slot in your 6, you could make it have a % proc. Such as 25% chance to cast a blizzard when struck. Get 4 jewels with that and you cast blizzard everytime you are hit.
Edited by Gold15#1509 on 1/21/2013 2:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Some runewords ruined D2 for me(see enigma), i'd prefer to see Jewels that have a chance to roll cool properties like the runewords had. Such as a Jewel that offered:

+20 to All Res
+9 IAS

Or

+75 Str
+9 Block Chance

Edit: Maybe instead of it costing you a slot in your 6, you could make it have a % proc. Such as 25% chance to cast a blizzard when struck. Get 4 jewels with that and you cast blizzard everytime you are hit.

And that's not Overpowered, since you are sacrificing +200 int in gems. Well if it didn't have +75 str or in on each one. That would have to be much lower.
Reply Quote
lol proper sucessor to d2? lollllllllllll
Reply Quote

+20 to All Res
+9 IAS

Or

+75 Str
+9 Block Chance

I don't know if just sharing skills would be such a good idea. For one, it blurs the line between the classes and ruins the uniqueness of that skill. Just as you say enigma ruined it for you, allowing monks to cast blizzard, or anything outside their class, would seem cheap. Players would complain. Second, it may require them to make changes to the UI. That's almost a deal breaker as it would take them FOREVER to implement correctly.

It'd be better if they borrowed some abilities from the monsters, like the debuff you get from the succubii in act 3, or the missile deflection the whirling dervishes in act 2 have. That way, there's no grief between the classes, and you're using monsters' own tricks against them. Win-win. Then, you could cast these abilities "on attack" or "on hit", so that you don't have to make changes to the UI. They already did this with some of the 1.04 legendaries.
Reply Quote
It's a hard decision for them to implement runeword into D3.

Think about how much golds you currently need to spend on 3 radiant gems on a chest armor in order to get the highest damage. Not even talking about the cost of the legendary armor you took and the highest gem just introduce in 1.07. It is talking about a few hundreds millions of golds.

So, Should the runewords powerful than that? If not, the runeword lost ppl interests or not even the final target. They just become a gimmick. If the answer is yes, however, how much they should price? Should they simply be dropped in game? how rare? how would they affect the gem's price and the legendaries price? That's too complicated for them to decide against to the current D3 system they've implemented.

I rather ask for D2.5 than runeword in D3, coz it seems it would be more easier for them to implement just a thing alone in D3.
Edited by callmeEarly#1980 on 1/21/2013 3:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
And that's not Overpowered, since you are sacrificing +200 int in gems. Well if it didn't have +75 str or in on each one. That would have to be much lower.

Just came up with those numbers, make them +30-40 Str, just trying to get a point across not finalize the implementation.

+20 to All Res
+9 IAS

Or

+75 Str
+9 Block Chance

I don't know if just sharing skills would be such a good idea. For one, it blurs the line between the classes and ruins the uniqueness of that skill. Just as you say enigma ruined it for you, allowing monks to cast blizzard, or anything outside their class, would seem cheap. Players would complain. Second, it may require them to make changes to the UI. That's almost a deal breaker as it would take them FOREVER to implement correctly.

It'd be better if they borrowed some abilities from the monsters, like the debuff you get from the succubii in act 3, or the missile deflection the whirling dervishes in act 2 have. That way, there's no grief between the classes, and you're using monsters' own tricks against them. Win-win. Then, you could cast these abilities "on attack" or "on hit", so that you don't have to make changes to the UI. They already did this with some of the 1.04 legendaries.

Just came up with this stuff on the fly. The point I was getting across was more that they could have cool affixes, like the ones you mentioned(though using your argument getting a succubii debuff to work would take a long time too), not that it was necessarily another chars skill.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Gold15
Players would complain

Oh and lol, that's a given regarding any updates/change/nonchange
Reply Quote
Ruin words are not understood by all D3 players. That was the best part of the loot hunt in D2 LOD. I had a Godley barb lvl 99, with two ethereal breath of the dying bezerker axes. Look that up. What weapons, ruin words.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]