Diablo® III

[Proposal] Open World/Free Roam Mode Revisited

On the 666th floor, I think it would be great to fight the 7 evils ... have one epic battle against 7 powerful foes ... I'd like to see someone pull that off in a youtube clip

I don't care for the 'infinite dungeon' idea because there is no ultimate goal to delving other than just farming. Like I posted in my thread, a major battle at floor 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 would be lesser accomplishments that landmark your progress. Maybe even have a room of resp chests after the boss fights to reward the players.

They could do a lot with theming the level groups too. Although Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land was not that notable as a Wizardry title, I did love the scenery in the game as you progressed deeper into the labyrinth. Seeing a dungeon segment with scenery similar to dahlgur oasis would be amazing.

There could be plenty of ways to tie in the diablo story in this scenario, and it would offer a new format for play for those who aren't into the story and just want to stomp through some hordes. A good balance of the two would be optimal in my opinion.

Heh, in some sense, we already have an "infinite dungeon" (running act 3 over and over again). But yeah, that's why even though the idea of a dungeon/labyrinth was something a lot higher as far as one of the things I wanted to see, visualizing a workable solution was something that didn't come to mind. Thus when I saw your idea, my first thought was there's a lot from the concept which can be built upon.

BTW, tying in your idea with this free roam mode, when playing this dungeon in an open world mode, the waypoints which you suggested that would keep track of your progress, would also allow the player the ability to teleport to a waypoint in another act (i.e. they can play through the dungeon as part of their farming run, and then continue their run elsewhere). The same would apply in quest mode (but only to waypoints which are available within the portion of the quest they had earlier selected like how it is now).

The idea of having changing scenery is also an excellent idea and can be tied into the Diablo lore. This is what Chris Metzgen said when asked further about why he stated that Diablo III represented the "end of a trilogy". Some folks misinterpreted that to mean that this was kind of it as far as Diablo goes. He elaborated that it more the end of a meta-story (a story telling a story):

I see this as the ending of a specific storyline. It’s not at all the end of Diablo, the end of a particular age or era, but it is the end of a series of machinations that have been playing out on Sanctuary for the last couple centuries. If Diablo ever really had a plan to mess people up, to bring about doom and destruction, this game really illustrates how grand that design has always been. Before, we didn’t have all the information. This game shows just how smart and cunning he’s been over the arc of time and why he’s the series’ unique villain. In the first couple games there wasn’t a whole lot more detail to that character other than that he was a big red dude who kicked the s— out of people. So why is the series named after him and not Baal or Mephisto? Is Diablo stronger? I would argue that he’s just really clever, he thinks laterally in a way that his brothers do not. He’s not just one of the seven big Evils. He’s Doctor Doom. And Diablo III is the culmination of his machinations, even if it’s not the end to potential stories we could tell in that universe.

In other words, some of the cheesy and tackiness of the story line in Diablo III could ultimately be just an illusion. Thus the fact that you could have changing sceneries within a dungeon level could tie into Diablo's cleverness in manipulating the world around him in such a manner; it could fit in very nicely to whatever Metzger has planned story wise, for the franchise. Since he and Roper were responsible for the lore in the both D1 and D2, it's kind of hard for me to believe that some of the most forgettable parts of the Diablo III story, are anything but fodder material meant to be torn apart in either the expansions or the next version of the game (but some of the damage which has occurred over the past 8 months needs to be repaired first).
Reply Quote
I've updated the original, attempting to fit parts of the idea into the lore/Diablo universe based on some things that Chris Metzen (Blizzard's Senior Vice President of Story and Franchise Development) has said in interviews.
Reply Quote
I like the idea's but I think it could be executed better. But I do think Uber Diablo(actually Clone Diablo) should roam the world, but at that, it would only make sense in a Open World situation where he could appear in any act.

I see 2 key problems:
1) Why would anyone do the Quest-Based Storyline ever again if they had access to an Open World Free Roam mode.
2) During the Roaming Boss Fights, teleporting back and forth between maps seems to be a waste of resources(I think it would be better if they stayed and had new mechanics, like a champion fight with/without minions against Diablo etc.)

You could make the Uber Diablo spawn only after the Act1 -Act3 bosses have all been defeated ... this would impair the Uber only runs. Love the idea presented here, and as far as botting is concerned, I believe there will always be an issue with bots and I wouldn't use that fact to discourage expansion of this game.

I think this would make your idea much stronger, it also goes with a idea of mine for your proposed Free Roam Mode's in-game state; that it could be saved for the game maker, this way you don't have the servers constantly generating new games every time(although you could reset it with a option). You also wouldn't have to lose progress towards a uber fight if you couldn't spend 3-6 hours clearing the prior acts.

As for how my idea's would play out with yours, that's tough, imagine running into roaming diablo and a legendary monster at the same time :) Definitely would be fun. I guess it would make my idea a bit stronger, since now you've got a much better chance at finding that legendary monster, or an uber event in the wild.

And thank you for posting in my topic: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708263102
Edited by Veracruz#1867 on 1/26/2013 5:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
!@#$ yeah! great Post

i like your ideas
Reply Quote

I see 2 key problems:
1) Why would anyone do the Quest-Based Storyline ever again if they had access to an Open World Free Roam mode.

I thought about this too. One way I looked at it is similar to Act 4. For a large portion of the player base, it's not some place they return to often except when attempting to complete each difficulty and getting the plans for the Infernal Machine. If there were more incentives added, that would of course change. A free roam mode is pretty much an end game alternative to try and kill several birds with one stone (Blizzard of course may not agree due to several reasons previously mentioned). In that regards, the quest based system would be sort of like Act 4; there for an initial purpose, still there, but supplanted by something else.

Nonetheless, not every player sees merit in having a free roam system and some may not even understand what it is (sort of like how elective mode still is misunderstood by new players) and will therefore play within the current system. The quest mode also has merits because of the checkpoint system. A free roam system will do away with that checkpoint system meaning it will decrease the efficiency of some runs (like those which start at the end of Core of Arreat back towards the waypoint for example when doing experience type runs).

2) During the Roaming Boss Fights, teleporting back and forth between maps seems to be a waste of resources(I think it would be better if they stayed and had new mechanics, like a champion fight with/without minions against Diablo etc.)

The main reason I proposed it that way was to keep it within the context of being able to be implemented within the current design of the game (since I originally just typed this out in that frame of mind). Those fights and mechanics are already in place requiring little in the way of additional development and testing for that respective phase of the fight. If we're talking about expansion material, then I would agree that it would make far more sense to have these fights take place where the encounter incurred along with more new mechanics.

You could make the Uber Diablo spawn only after the Act1 -Act3 bosses have all been defeated ... this would impair the Uber only runs. Love the idea presented here, and as far as botting is concerned, I believe there will always be an issue with bots and I wouldn't use that fact to discourage expansion of this game.

I think this would make your idea much stronger, it also goes with a idea of mine for your proposed Free Roam Mode's in-game state; that it could be saved for the game maker, this way you don't have the servers constantly generating new games every time(although you could reset it with a option). You also wouldn't have to lose progress towards a uber fight if you couldn't spend 3-6 hours clearing the prior acts.

I had originally left the details which MadMyke suggested out since I tried to be purposely vague like how Blizzard is when it comes to things like chance. So I initially tried to imply that a chance of a spawn would be a function based on clearing out the world plus time spent within the world. I've since included the specifics about beating all main bosses increasing the chances in the original post.

I also thought about saving the state of a game as well... that's also one of those technical issues which from Blizzard's perspective, would likely be a no go (server side data storage of having to save map data plus game state plus the added database load of saving and loading a much larger set of data).

As for how my idea's would play out with yours, that's tough, imagine running into roaming diablo and a legendary monster at the same time :) Definitely would be fun. I guess it would make my idea a bit stronger, since now you've got a much better chance at finding that legendary monster, or an uber event in the wild.

It's the sort of challenge that I think many players are looking for (a suitable reward has to go with it of course). For Blizzard, it's a way to add content within the parameters of the current design/or if they prefer, as expansion material (especially if they decide to overhaul the major core systems in order to address the itemization situation). Some of our ideas aren't necessarily trivial from Blizzard's perspective though when it comes to the entire development and QA process though.

Thanks much for the constructive feedback. I really do appreciate the dialog!
Reply Quote
Someone may have suggested this. But I'm way too lazy to read such a lon OP and then read every response. I agree, ofcourse, with the open world concept. Maybe the could require each character complete the game normally on each difficulty, then make it all open. You get immersed in the lore on the first play through, and then you can access the whole game for farming, without losing NV stacks.
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 11:24 AMPosted by TEHvomit
Someone may have suggested this. But I'm way too lazy to read such a lon OP and then read every response.

Yes, this idea has been often times proposed all the way back to beta and after release. I actually searched the forum before hand and read through every topic I found at that point and most of the requests were a simple request to have a D2 like ability to waypoint between acts but without much additional incentives for both Blizzard or the player. Something as simple as that won't be worth Blizzard's time to even considering implementing. And Blizzard had several reasons for why they went with this particular design (which I mentioned in the original post).

While I know that it is long, constructive proposals cannot be done in a short paragraph or two. My own take is that if people can't be bothered to read through the details, then it really isn't something that is important/of interest to them in the first place.
Reply Quote
bump for pure awesomeness of this topic.
Reply Quote
I'd love to bump this amazing thread. (:
Reply Quote
I love all these ideas.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]