Diablo® III

{Idea} Endless Dungeon (Variation)

I've been noticing a good trend going around the last few weeks. A lot of people seem to be capable of "good" suggestions. There are always duds like Autoloot and nerf crit, but for the most part there are fair critiques and solutions being circulated. One of these suggestions that seemed to spark interest in a lot of players is the idea that there could be a mode in the game that creates an "endless dungeon. This got me thinking.

First of all, I want to say that i am completely against adding in varying game-modes that detract from the flow of the game.

This seemed like a good way to maybe solve a few issues if not permanently then temporarily. When I first heard of this idea my immediate response was to find a way to do it without breaking what little immersion there is in the game. I think with a little bit of brainstorming this would be very possible.

That being said the first thing that needed to be addressed was the "endless" aspect. It couldn't literally be endless because that just breaks the immersion. I thought for a minute and it occurred to me that it could give the player the illusion of being endless if you just make it extremely long and challenging (insert that's what she said jokes here/now).

How to give the player the illusion of an endless dungeon

I decided that there would be an ascending dungeon, and descending dungeon. Both of which could be achieved (with hard work and dedication) in one game lobby. The result being that there needed to be a space in Diablo that would allow the player to commute with both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells. I will discuss this later though.

I brainstormed for a few minutes and came up with the idea that every 10 levels you would fight a boss. You wouldn't fight this boss in a "boss room" all by their self. Rather you fight this boss on the 10th, 20th and so on along side the minions of hell. Then I thought, while bosses mixed in with minions would be difficult, it is likely that level 70 would still be easily reached.

So I then decided on a Uber scenario. After level 70 the player would then find themselves in the company of the uber versions of these bosses. Still many people argue that the high end players faceroll all the current ubers on mp10.

This raises the level to 105. When you reach 105 the difficulty increases once more. Every 10 levels you face 3 bosses. There are 7 aspects of Evil however. This leaves one aspect out. The final Aspect is given a abnormal buff and increased minions on the 5th level after 125. We are now at 130 levels to a single dungeon.

After level 130 you then face Uber versions of the above mentioned bosses every 5 levels. This brings us to 145 levels in this Endless Dungeon idea.

To close out this dungeon, you reach the pits of Hell to find that by killing the aspects has served to resurrect the final boss at level 150. The final boss being Tathamet The dragon. Also known as Anu's evil side or the "true Prime evil"

My original idea obviously only applied to the lesser and greater/prime evils, but I thought why stop there. That still isn't quite endless enough. We could turn this around and fight the virtues of Anu. Obviously the level 150 boss would be Anu himself. What about the 7th? Inarius or Izual. I say Izual but some feedback here would be great. If Angels aren't something you want to fight, we could resurrect the 1st generation Nephalems. You choose.

Outlining The Idea

The Sins of Anu Descending Into The Burning Hells
Level- Description of the type of encounter.
1- An Intro by the quest giver (likely a Virtue of Anu) and a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
2- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
3- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
4- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
5- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
6- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
7- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
8- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
9- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
10- A unique room with good mob density and a randomly wandering aspect of Evil(Andariel).
11- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
12- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
13- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
14- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
15- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
16- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
17- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
18- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
19- a normal dungeon level layout with elite packs.
20- A unique room with good mob density and a randomly wandering aspect of Evil(Duriel).
...and so on until you reach level 70.
70- A unique room with good mob density and a randomly wandering aspect of Evil(Baal).
71- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
72- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
73- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
74- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
75- A unique room with good mob density and a randomly wandering aspect of Evil in Uber form(Andariel).
...and so on until you reach level 105.
105- A unique room with good mob density and a randomly wandering aspect of Evil in Uber form(Baal).
106- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
107- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
108- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
109- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
110- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
111- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
112- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
113- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
114- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
115- A unique and complex catacombistic level with 3 lesser Evils sectioned away from each other with varying mobs.
116- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
117- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
118- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
119- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
120- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
121- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
122- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
123- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
124- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
125- A unique and complex catacombistic level with 1 lesser Evil and 2 Prime Evils sectioned away from each other with varying mobs.
126- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
127- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
128- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
129- a normal dungeon level layout with more mob density and elite packs.
130- A unique and complex catacombistic level with 1 Prime Evil and many mobs.
...continue this pattern to 145 applying Uber versions to the spaces.
145- A unique and complex catacombistic level with 1 Prime Evil(Uber) and many mobs.
...continue the normal dungeon level with increased mobs until you hit 150.
150- You reach the center of The Burning hells where Tathamet is resurrected.

Each time a boss is killed you acquire or refresh your stack of Nephalem Valor.

The Law of Anu Ascending Up The Crystal Arch
Repeat the above formula with The Angiris Council instead of The Aspects of Evil. Anu is reformed at level 150.
The quest giver would obviously be that of a Nephalem.

The space between The High Heavens and Burning Hells
Basically this gives the developers the chance to go back to interesting areas in the series. Most notably The Pandemonium Fortress and The realm it resides in. From here we have the opportunity to explore several story lines such as Malthael and Inarius but more importantly you can get to Hell and heaven from this point in the universe.

Closing Statement
That's 300 extra levels of content that we likely won't see but tell me what you think of the idea? Do you like it, or do you have any suggestions for it? Leave your comments below. Thank you for reading.

TLDR
Basically design an expansion around characters and areas surrounding the pandemonium fortress that includes 150 levelsx2 leading up to the heavens and down to the hells with bosses every 10 levels up to 70 and then every 5 levels up to 105(ubers). Then combine 3 of them every 10 levels up to 125 and make one strong boss at 130. follow this pattern to 145 with ubers and at 150 destroy one of the first creations in the universe.
Edited by n0rain#1149 on 1/20/2013 11:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
Feedback anyone?
Reply Quote
Hell, i loved the Diablo 1 downstair-loading screen
and the minacious to tedious background music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl5I5CUTqh4

The vault of the assasin (act 2) with endless stairs down would be awesome,
or act 4 (first part) with full circle / connected overlapping circles that spiral up.
(would help people to play something else than act 3 only)
Reply Quote
I'd be happier with a survival arena, but some might call that lazy.
Reply Quote
I honestly think making something endless is 1000's times more difficult than 300 levels of dungeons. That's just me. Maintaining immersion is important to me though so I must object to anything that is "endless." There must be an end or a goal otherwise I feel like it would get very boring.

This isn't an arcade game. Ir is a RPG. Lets start treating it like one.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 11:41 AMPosted by n0rain
There must be an end or a goal otherwise I feel like it would get very boring.

I like the challenge of competing against my personal bests along with leaderboards, with a fixed end this wouldnt really exist. Again an endless dungeon would be harder than anything you could imagine not faceroll easy like this entire game.
Edited by iwonsch#1358 on 1/21/2013 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 11:53 AMPosted by iwonsch
I like the challenge of competing against my personal bests along with leaderboards

Interesting that you say this. While I disagree with arcade style games you could easily incorporate leaderboards and statistics. For Example

1. iwonsch- Highest level completed on mp8- 126. Elite Kills- 88. Boss Kills- 17.
2. n0rain- Highest level completed on mp8- etc....

I guess I failed to mention that you can fail in this quest. If you die on your way to level 150 then you cannot traverse that same path. This means that when you descend and die prematurely you can only ascend or start over in a new game.

01/21/2013 11:53 AMPosted by iwonsch
Again an endless dungeon would be harder than anything you could imagine not faceroll easy like this entire game.

I think any skilled player is going to find 3 bosses on one map to be difficult much less uber versions. Just sayin'
Reply Quote
Necro-bump
Edited by n0rain#1149 on 1/30/2013 2:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
there are tons of good ideas, but these posts won't work or evver will have an effect
Reply Quote
Endless Dungeon with or without some sort of Ladder is needed, definitely! neither Essence nor MP10 farming is quite motivating as single aspect to progress in this game. Moreover it makes sense to me to implement the "Hell" as endless dungeon, cauze once u fight and kill demons they return to their source and come back sooner or later. right?

I want endless monster streams, different random generated maps, unpredictable affix-combinations of elitepacks, section-bosses and challenging overpowered events where ppl might be forced to change their builds, i.e. skill and/or equipwise (max crowd-control, max mobiility, max dps, max resilliance).

Blizzard would always be able to implement new stuff to the randomness pool if need be, just to keep things going on harder stages. Make weekly IDs for each player account and its Hell dungeon. Sectionbosses and Events cant be redone each time you relog, although the random elitepacks and trashmobs come back to life, making it a good place to simply grind if you are not up to the more challenging part of going deeper into it. Even without monthly subscribtion like with WoW they have RMAH and bind people to the game through competition, dedication, addiction and such.

Another epic, yet unseen feature, which comes to my mind is: what if blizzard sets up ladder seasons. At the end of each season the highest players and/or guilds from each region get featured to fight the "source" of the Hell (whatever it might be). This will be broadcasted with commentary and what not... possibilties to make this an overwhelming great event over and over again for the whole d3-community is endless. True Nephalem Gods will rise... and a ton of people could witness this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]