Diablo® III

S&B QA Part 3

@isfuturo

1 - I am going to say this and I hope everyone listens to me! When I do not have tough as nails on reflect gets the best of me as well, even at low MP's. So I would suggest either using skills like war cry to boost your armor or using tough as nails and gettng rid of the WH and or get a wep with life steal. When my armor is around 9 - 9.5k buffed reflect doesnt really bother me but is noticable, when its above 10.5 - 11k, I dont even notice reflect. I think reflect is an amor issue most of the time, when you dps is on the higher side or dishing out big blows like with HOTA.

2 - Nike hit this one right on! For you, I would use a mace or axe. Upgrade to a sword once your cc is around 50 unbuffed and with weapons master.

3 - 650 AR is when your really ballin and feel the power of AR. I would also shoot for 9k armor, anyway you can get it, I am not talking unbuff 9k armor that would just be crazy.

4 - I think you might be going a little overboard on AIS, get either an IK chest or BT Chest, to top off your EHP (Pants and Chest need to be EHP oriented, frees up more dps slots elsewhere). You can drop to around 1.75 and use frenzy and still feel like your attacking really fast. Then you add the WOTB buff which is another 20%, so you should be good. Instead of focusing on AIS, try to get some more CC for your DPS.

*** Edit - Sorry looked again and it slipped by me that you do need an IK Chest to complete your 2 set bonus. This will jump your AR up by 130 atleast and really shoot your armor up.

---- Break -----

Can everyone do me a favor and see when reflect starts messing with them? Like what is your armor when reflect starts bringng you down, like china town? For my dps wth passives of 195 + SOJ, its like 7k armor where I suck and 9K when Im good.
Edited by BALLER#1390 on 2/6/2013 11:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Nike and Baller

Really thank you for both fast reply, i have being always thinking that 3% LS is good enough until i tried mp10 myself and realise its impossible until both enlightenment.

I guess the conclusion will be buying:

1. IK Chest to boost 130AR and i will have about 680AR at least

2. Keep with 6% LS since i got no issue even with my current gears just that i dont feel very comfortable with current AR.

3. I shall stick to my Mace and only upgrade with i got 45cc w/o passive buff.

I got my last question for Bash vs Frenzy, and i guess alot of people have being asking but i'm more into the concern of SNB.

Which is preferred? Bash or Frenzy?
Bash is comfortable for me as fury is generated alot faster and 24% damage increase but slower and knock back.
Frenzy is not generating fury for me fast compare to bash but att spd is alot faster, no KB and having an icon indicating you to refresh unlike Bash now.

What is the most preferred for SNB build?

Thank you!!!!
Reply Quote
View profile
Well said BALLER!

@isfuturo - You go it right, IK Chest is defintely a required on your current setup for improvements.
With regards to Bash vs. Frenzy we normally use Frenzy because we really like the atkspd boost. Since you will be switching to IK Chest you will lose the atkspd from the Tal Rasha's armor hence i would suggest to go with Frenzy. But if you feel like using Bash it really doesnt matter as long as you can maintain WOTB with it then thats alright for sure.

Nike
Reply Quote
Can everyone do me a favor and see when reflect starts messing with them? Like what is your armor when reflect starts bringng you down, like china town? For my dps wth passives of 195 + SOJ, its like 7k armor where I suck and 9K when Im good.

reflect hurts me when i run around 7,4 k armor (i.e.: without tough as nails) and NO lifesteal at all. it doesnt bother me at all once i am over 9 k armor and use an ik belt.
Reply Quote
I prefer using Bash because of it's more predictable Fury regen when mixed in between HOTA smashes and Rends. Frenzy attack speed boost does make it easier to reduce times on WOTB, though. Try both generators out with their respective +%damage runes and see which one fits you best. Neither one is always better than the other in all aspects.
Reply Quote
My current build : http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/wilbur626-1787/Bjoernar/18008671

In dire need of more dps, and im not getting rid of my lovely sankis :D Plz advice
Reply Quote
Hey guys, I just got back into the game after a long time off. I quit playing some time between 1.03 and 1.04. It's cool to see how high some of you guys have gotten your damage with snb. Anyway, after reading this thread and checking out some of your gear, I know I am extremely undergeared. My question is if you can critique my gear and let me know where I should focus first since I have a very limited budget - just under 2mil currently.

Thank you guys for any help and awesome thread btw.

Another side question - there was a 2h barb when I played that had awesome gear at the time named pharmosh (around 1.02 he was probably the best geared barb that was on the forums regularly), is he around anymore?
Edited by Maegor#1377 on 2/7/2013 6:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Hey guys, I just got back into the game after a long time off. I quit playing some time between 1.03 and 1.04. It's cool to see how high some of you guys have gotten your damage with snb. Anyway, after reading this thread and checking out some of your gear, I know I am extremely undergeared. My question is if you can critique my gear and let me know where I should focus first since I have a very limited budget - just under 2mil currently.

Thank you guys for any help and awesome thread btw.

Another side question - there was a 2h barb when I played that had awesome gear at the time named pharmosh (around 1.02 he was probably the best geared barb that was on the forums regularly), is he around anymore?

Wow Maegor - After seeing your barb its like Nostalgia! I suddenly remembered how 1.0.3 Ghom beat the crap out of me. lol

first of all welcome back, with your current budget it will very challenging to get upgrades for your barb, however i suggest to keep on farming and save more golds so you can upgrade efficiently. Most of the good gears now are legendary based and rares which are very expensive.

But to give you an idea these are some of the recommended gears

1. Helm - Crit Mempo or IK Helm with AR
2. Chest - IK Chest with 200+VIT and 150+STR / BT Surcoat with nice STR/VIT and life% rolls
3. Pants - BT PAnts with AR or combination of High VIT/STR, Rare Pants with High STR/VIT, AR, 2 OS.
4. Shield - SS with 30% block + 9%+cc
5.Bracers - Lacuni Prowers with AR/CC or Rare Bracers high combination of high STR/VIT + CC
6. Rings - Look for Litany with CD or DPS rings with CC,CD,Main Stats (STR/VIT), AR
7. Ammys - High CC 9+ /CD 90+, with Main Stats (STR/VIT). With Damage Modifiers and IAS is a plus will be very expensive.
6. MH - Sword, Mace or Axe with 1.1k-1.3kDPS, OS, min base crit 50%
7. Gloves - IK Gloves or Rare Trifecta with AR, STR VIT. We recommend IK Gloves for PVP.
8. Belt - IK belt with Bash or Frenzy bonus, Witching Hour but not recommended if you have below average EHP.
9 Boots - Ice Climbers or IK Boots.
10 Shoulders - Vileward with high STR/VIT with life% is a bonus or Rare Shoulders with 200+STR, 100+VIT, AR, 10%+ life%

For now focus on farming and it's never too late for you to catch up..

I'm not sure who is pharmosh though as i've never seen his name here or even in the DP rankings. Though i know 2 top 2H barbs here, Joch and DAKKON.

Nike
Reply Quote
View profile
02/07/2013 05:09 AMPosted by sfxer
I prefer using Bash because of it's more predictable Fury regen when mixed in between HOTA smashes and Rends. Frenzy attack speed boost does make it easier to reduce times on WOTB, though. Try both generators out with their respective +%damage runes and see which one fits you best. Neither one is always better than the other in all aspects.

Yeah, actually bash and frenzy to me looks equal. As long as you have enough CC to proc with great atkspd you can maintain WOTB with either of the 2. So everything really relies on how you built your barb.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 06:25 AMPosted by Maegor

I used to talk to and farm with Pharmosh all the time back then and then he suddenly just disappeared. He logged off something like 250 days ago and hasn't been on since. A lot of people thought he was duping gold back then, so it is possible his account was banned, but I believe he just had a firm handle on the AH market and was an excellent flipper. He pretty much accumulated amazing gear and ran out of upgrades and got bored due to no PVP.

Sad, really. He was a skilled player. Him, myself and Rrowland were 3 of the only 2-hand barbs back in the day who were successful before all the inferno nerfs.
Edited by sfxer#1565 on 2/7/2013 7:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
My current build : http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/wilbur626-1787/Bjoernar/18008671

In dire need of more dps, and im not getting rid of my lovely sankis :D Plz advice

Hey Man, welcome to US Forums, I'm glad that we have lots of visitors from the other servers more often nowadays.

Since you love your sankis, i will not critique it :P

If you want to increase your DPS consider the following.

1. Crit Mempo
2. Better Ammy with STR in it, 9+cc, 90+cd
3. Better IK Gloves with 30-40%+ CD

However with all these recommended upgrades unfortunately we are not really making the most of your DPS upgrades because all these things like CC, CD, STR, IAS will rely mainly on your MH, as an S&B barb we are rely on a STRONG MH Weapon because we cannot match the DPS of Dual Wielders and 2Hander's because we use shield. Hence if you have a weak MH then all the upgrades will not reach it's FULL POTENTIAL.. Think about it for now you can still keep your pre-loved sankis in the stash and get a solid MH..

Nike
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice Nike. Yeah, when I was playing the legendaries were pretty worthless, except for SS and some jewelry pieces. Some of the items you posted are pretty expensive, but at least now with the plvl feature, the gear grind turns into a level grind, which for some reason is more enjoyable.

I've seen people talk about breakpoints on ias, is there a website that shows an ias vs aps breakdown for different skills? Is this something that nado barbs are more concerned with?

Also, what type of cutoffs are recommended for dmg and ehp for the different mp lvls?

Edit: I also saw in a previous post where somebody listed farming routes for acts 2 and 3, can somebody list those again or is there a website showing good runs.
Edited by Maegor#1377 on 2/7/2013 9:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hi everyone new to the forums and these S&B threads but I've been reading them now and appreciate all the good information!

A bad DH friend of mine has recently decided to start playing again so I was looking around for ideas of how to change my current weapon throw build so that I could be doing all of the tanking and a decent amount of the dps for both of us.

I'm currently thinking that with my -5 weapon throw belt and no escape passive I am able to always have full fury so I *think* that I could be able to run my weapon throw/hota hybrid build exactly the same but with just some defensive style changes that will be similar to many of your builds just with WT instead of bash/frenzy.

With that in mind my thoughts of what I'm going to have to do to sidegrade into the SnB style is changing:
Echoing Fury into a Sword/Dagger/Axe/Mace with crit damage +socket
300th Spear into a strength stormshield with cc or if I can find a rare shield with str/cc/ar/-hota fury
rare ring and ammy just prioritize more crit damage

not sure:
depth diggers into a blackthorne jousting mail with alotta str/vit
fire walkers into an ice climbers without ms
bracers into a str/crit lacuni prowlers to make up for loss of ms just dno how desperately ill need that life%

please let me know if you have any suggestions/advice or if trying to keep weapon throw wont work out I wouldn't horribly mind just going into a normal SnB style but I do love weapon throw :)
Thx <3
Edited by WaZ#1854 on 2/7/2013 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just a thought, WaZ:

-5 Hota cost only helps for WW/Hota 2hand hybrids, IMO, who struggle with fury. With SnB, you will be struggling to dump the necessary fury you will have to in order to seize Into The Fray gains. I am spamming battle rage enough as it is sometimes.
Reply Quote
Hello All,
I would like to get some suggestions about my build and look to improve DPS to 200k without losing survivability.
Background info:
Paper DPS is 163k buffed with passive
True DPS is 2.27m vs elites (SOJ 29% BvE, Sun keeper 9% BvE)
Ehp is 623k
So far, this build can handle mp10 ubers comfortably. The 8.9% LS along with Rend keep my health full most of the time. I tried to replace the sun keeper with a dps 1000 axe with STR 285, CD 60, OS. It improved my paper dps by 20k, but the tdps is still very similar to my sunkeeper. Since the axe doesn’t have LS, it seems much harder to keep the health up and requires a few more hits.
At my current DPS level, I feel more comfortable with 8.9%. Can you guys advise what is the DPS breaking point for using only 5-6% LS? I am a SnB at heart. I like to do HOTA smash and rend. I know both weapons need to go eventually, but not sure what path to take.
Option 1: Stick with 1 LS weapon, 1 CD OS weapon
Option 2: 2x 1h CD OS weapon
Option 3: 1h sword LS, CD, OS and a Stormshield with CC
Thanks in advanced.
Reply Quote
02/07/2013 02:08 AMPosted by AlNeo

reflect hurts me when i run around 7,4 k armor (i.e.: without tough as nails) and NO lifesteal at all. it doesnt bother me at all once i am over 9 k armor and use an ik belt.

Okay awesome, so it seems like 9k is the good range to be for reflect mitigation.

Any other testers out there are appreciated as well.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice Nike. Yeah, when I was playing the legendaries were pretty worthless, except for SS and some jewelry pieces. Some of the items you posted are pretty expensive, but at least now with the plvl feature, the gear grind turns into a level grind, which for some reason is more enjoyable.

I've seen people talk about breakpoints on ias, is there a website that shows an ias vs aps breakdown for different skills? Is this something that nado barbs are more concerned with?

Also, what type of cutoffs are recommended for dmg and ehp for the different mp lvls?

Edit: I also saw in a previous post where somebody listed farming routes for acts 2 and 3, can somebody list those again or is there a website showing good runs.

Shoot for 1.75 APS, any other is a real bonus but not required IMO. If you have 1.75 dps and 50CC, you should be fine for maintaining WOTB. The APS breakpoints is geared for WW barbs, since the nados are affected greatly from certain levels of APS.

There is no DMG requirement per say, but rather how fast you would want to farm a particular MP. Like for instance, with my DPS of 197'ish with a SOJ, I can speed roll through MP7 and anything past that takes a little while longer. Which is fine because when I am doing MP10 it is for 100% key drops anyways and dont mind the slightly longer kill time.

Now for EHP levels, here is my recommendation but is also very build dependant, my numbers also are considering that you have 2.8+ Life Steal.You can get away with less if you have either more life steal or very high dmg, as you will get more leech.

AR/Armor/HP

10 - 600/9000/50K
7 - 500/8500/45K
5 - 450/8000/40K
3 - 400/7500/35k

This is to be comfortable and are unbuffed numbers. My armor number includes tough as nails or war cry buff, because I feel almost everyone should be using it or using war cry. These are ball park to and probably the bare minimums you would want to shoot for.

Alkaizer route Act 3

Core of Arreat
Tower of Doomed level 1
Depths 2
Rakkis crossing down to Bridge then do a loop around
Crater 2
**Stonefort if you want the hit the Key Warden

Money XP route

Vault of Assasin Run Act 3 (Very High Elite Density... ask professor how much loot we get on these runs)

Start in the Vault of Assasin in the desolate sands
Do a Black Caynon Mine Loop
Run through the Oasis and kill the Key Warden
Edited by BALLER#1390 on 2/7/2013 4:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hello All,
I would like to get some suggestions about my build and look to improve DPS to 200k without losing survivability.
Background info:
Paper DPS is 163k buffed with passive
True DPS is 2.27m vs elites (SOJ 29% BvE, Sun keeper 9% BvE)
Ehp is 623k
So far, this build can handle mp10 ubers comfortably. The 8.9% LS along with Rend keep my health full most of the time. I tried to replace the sun keeper with a dps 1000 axe with STR 285, CD 60, OS. It improved my paper dps by 20k, but the tdps is still very similar to my sunkeeper. Since the axe doesn’t have LS, it seems much harder to keep the health up and requires a few more hits.
At my current DPS level, I feel more comfortable with 8.9%. Can you guys advise what is the DPS breaking point for using only 5-6% LS? I am a SnB at heart. I like to do HOTA smash and rend. I know both weapons need to go eventually, but not sure what path to take.
Option 1: Stick with 1 LS weapon, 1 CD OS weapon
Option 2: 2x 1h CD OS weapon
Option 3: 1h sword LS, CD, OS and a Stormshield with CC
Thanks in advanced.

Can you try out tough as nails for me, instead of bloodthirst? I would be interested in seeing if your survivability will improve,, minus the lifesteal passive.

I am guessing this may solve your problem, because I think your dps is more than enough to benefit from your already high LS IMO.

Please let me know your results and then we can make a better determination.

Just a heads up, your in the SnB thread, so im going to favor option 3 :)

Very nice barb btw! I alwas thought sunkeepers were really cool.
Reply Quote
I still remember when SnB users focused a lot on defense instead of offense like they do now. Times have changed a lot since the last time I played. Back when Keinsel was giving out advise about surviving as a tanker and farming Act 3 Inferno and when Legendary gear was crap.
Reply Quote
Dabbling with SnB again, I have around 150mil to play with, a CC Stormshield is my first upgrade, after that what would you recommend?

@Shango - Prioritize your MH, i suggest get a rare weapone with 1.1-1.3k DPS, OS, 50% min CD, with STR and/or VIT is not a must but a cool bonus

also look for upgrading your Shoulders with the same stats but with 70+VIT

Nike

Thanks for the advice, I"ve upgrades many slots, which slot would you recommend upgrading with 100mil max to spend?

I have dps rings that give me 73K hps and 150k dps, and a 6 28 11%frenzy SOJ.
Edited by Shango#1124 on 2/7/2013 5:48 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]