Diablo® III

S&B QA Part 3

I also wondered how most of you value offense vs defense. For example, if you were going to gain 5% dps with an item would you sacrifice 3% ehp? What is your preferred trade off both ways?
Reply Quote
For pve, offense is the way to go (as long as you have the min ehp to survive). For pvp, it appears that ehp seems more important at the highest levels. The most successful PVP players seem to have tons of life/mitigation and just reasonable dps.
Reply Quote
Alright, i've sucked up the courage to post in here because as you can see my barb is fairly rag and tag - but i've been s&b from day 1 :)

To place things in perspective, I only manage to play a few hours a week (have 2 kids with autism) and atm i've only got 2m in the bank so I guess upgrades will be few and far between.

But i'm hoping to gain some advice on some bang for buck upgrade paths to look for from you Vets.

Cheers :)

Get some IK boots, man. You will get some MS and the 2 set bonus, this should be within your budget. Your barb is definetly good enough to bang away at the lower MP levels and farm, which is all you really need to do at this point.

First 2 upgrades I would focus on are your boots and a better shield. I would recommend getting a stormshield with atleast 8 CC. With your budget, aim for the highest block you can get, low 20's would still be fine, considering your budget and current shield.

Some build advice I do have for you is...

Keep Frenzy in there, Acrimony is very smart and the bash idea was a good one. But since you have a decent amount of LOH, frenzy IK belt and low'ish AIS, I feel the frenzy would actually be better for you. Try them both out though and please provide some feedback, it will help other members out as well. The way I see it is, frenzy has more AIS, so your CC goes up with higher AIS, thus causing more procs from into the fray and is very easy to mix frenzy and hota's in together while keeping the 20% maniac bonus.

Then I would change ground stomp out and put HOTA in its place (Smash Rune).

@sDoik -- rule #1: Play-style is the biggest difference between a lot of deaths and minimal deaths. Good gear helps, of course. But unless you understand how to synergise your skills, you won't understand how or what to upgrade.

Example: You got a lot of fury spenders but no fury generators. So with that in mind, you might want to switch Frenzy to Bash's Instigation or another rune variant.

That's just one example. More experienced Softcore Barbarians would have a better input than I would :)

Thanks guys, I've tested Bash vs Frenzy a fair bit now (MP4) and although Bash gave me great fury generation which meant more spamming on HOTA, I believe Frenzy suits my build more (especially considering the IK Belt bonus) both in killing efficiency and survivability. The only downside is of course managing fury but I've got that down pat.

With my limited budget I got a 7.5 CC SS with 24 (might be 25, profile not showing block chance anymore?) block for 800k and some IK boots for about the same - so I'm looking at my next upgrade (thinking Ammy?) but alas I'm broke again :)

However, an IK Chest dropped for me on the weekend. I assume I should use this once I can gem it properly? It rolled the following:

854 Armour (big boost over my 295 Cinder)
124 Str (so low :( )
96 Vit
79 RA
550 LPS

Also found a 1096 dps black 1h sword w/OS and 2.x life steal. Once again need to wait to gem it with at least 90% CD I think because it only has 1.3 APS vs my current 1.4 w/84% CD.

Thanks again guys, you S&B'ers are good bunch.

P.S. What's the deal with (some) WW Barbs in public games paying out on us S&B'ers? At least I don't die :)
Edited by sDoik#1303 on 2/11/2013 3:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm curious to find out what an average ratio for dps gain is for most snb barbs. For example, on d3rawr under dps gain for me, 1%CC = 5.6%CD = 22.5 str = 1.25% ias = 17 avg damage. Obviously, those ratios will change as I add certain values to each stat, I just wondered if there is an easy "golden" formula to use for quick item comparisons.

For example on defense 1AR = 10 armor = 10 str = 10 int; if you have a 10:1 armor to AR ratio.

Edit: added avg damage increase into my dps ratios

@maegor

for me it's

1%CC = 9.16%CD = 37.6 STR = 1.77% IAS = 25.28 AVG DMG

Also of note is that 1% of Elemental DMG for me is 2706.76 DPS so the SOJ with 6% Elemental adds 16240.56 DPS. Against all creatures, then another 30% DMG vs elites.

so 6% elemental dmg is = 42.2% CD. Using a (6/30) SOJ vs elites raises my DPS by about 30K over my normal rare ring set. Also, using a bash SOJ provides an additional 12% dmg boost on bash attacks.

If you can't tell I am strongly advocating the use of SOJ here.
Reply Quote
Any of you new S&B barbs here interested i have a couple pieces of my barb left over id sell cheap if your interested.

Storm Shield:
1209 armor
179str
31%block
9%cc
7% elite reduction

Blackthorne's:
311vit
175str
379loh
10%life

Witching hour:
199str
84vit
47fire res
8%as
41%cd

Anyone interested add me up i will be excepting any reasonable offer and maybe even not so reasonable. Thanks.
Edited by Pwnani#1343 on 2/11/2013 4:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 09:45 AMPosted by Maegor
I also wondered how most of you value offense vs defense. For example, if you were going to gain 5% dps with an item would you sacrifice 3% ehp? What is your preferred trade off both ways?

@Maegor, 5% dps (in PvP) means you have to hit an enemy 21 times instead of 20 to dish out equivalent damage. I view it that way since I use Frenzy as my main attack instead of Rend. If you look at dps that way then I would definitely only sacrifice ehp if you already have great survivability.
Reply Quote
well the 5% and 3% were just made up. I was kind of just asking how you guys see it theoretically. And I guess that depends if you are looking at in terms of PvP or PvE.
Reply Quote
Crypter, Baller and Nike..from what im hearing patch goes live tomorrow. What do you guys think of my WD? He needs little more life regen but for most part i think he should do good in pvp pubs..lol that will be a blast.
Reply Quote
View profile
Hey guys, i use to play the SnB build(Frenzy, Leap, IP...) before switching to WW/DT for which still keep my old sacred shield(18 or 20 % block, 300+ str + dex + vita and 9% CC) for sentimental reason. my proposition is that i want to give it away to any new SnB barb you think need it the most for free. additionally, i got 3 SS lying on my stash that i just can't get rid of which could be used as a starter set.

BT: RazorX#2330, just advice them to send me an fr with the message "shield".

Thanks for your generosity brother, guys anyone of you needs a shield just add Razor-X in game.

Nike
Reply Quote
Hey all..Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask..But could i get any advice on my build...my mate gave me a whole bunch of stuff but dont know if there is anything i can upgrade on...

I like the idea of S&B although I use a Mace lol

Thanks in Advance

Hey man,

I would upgrade in the order and I am assuming your budget aint all there yet, so this should get you started.

1 - Boots - Get some IK boots
2 - Belt - Get a frenzy or -rend IK Belt (Highest Strength you can get, dont worry about vit on this)
3 - Pants - Need some more vit here and AR, you can find some pants for pretty cheap with awesome stats minus the sockets. Might be a good fit for you, say 250 Vit / 100 Str / 60 AR and any socket you can get put some str gems in there.
4 - Rings - Really need to get CC and CD rings. You can work on just getting one for now, since you can get a Hell Fire and rock that for a while. Remember CC trumps CD, so if you have to get one or the other always go for CC.

You mace is fine for now, you have a whole lot of vit in there, which is nice for you. Try to accomplish those upgrades then hit us back and let us know how your doing. The IK parts will give you set bonus and life steal which is needed. I would rather see you not get a cheap IK chest, the boots are very affordable and the same with belt.

Build - Try to set up out, I highly recommend it. Key it however you would like.

1 - Rend - Bloodlust
2 - Revenge - Proc
3 - Battle Rage - Mauraders Rages
4 - WOTB - Insanity
Left - Frenzy - Maniac
Right - Leap or War Cry Impunity

Passive - Ruthless, Weapon Master, Tough As Nails.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Pwnani
Crypter, Baller and Nike..from what im hearing patch goes live tomorrow. What do you guys think of my WD? He needs little more life regen but for most part i think he should do good in pvp pubs..lol that will be a blast.

Very nice pvp WD bro, your going to make me mad, I can already tell lol.
Reply Quote
02/11/2013 09:45 AMPosted by Maegor

I would sacrafice 100 k EHP for 3 K dps in a PVE situation.

But for PVP I would do the exact opposite.
Reply Quote

Get some IK boots, man. You will get some MS and the 2 set bonus, this should be within your budget. Your barb is definetly good enough to bang away at the lower MP levels and farm, which is all you really need to do at this point.

First 2 upgrades I would focus on are your boots and a better shield. I would recommend getting a stormshield with atleast 8 CC. With your budget, aim for the highest block you can get, low 20's would still be fine, considering your budget and current shield.

Some build advice I do have for you is...

Keep Frenzy in there, Acrimony is very smart and the bash idea was a good one. But since you have a decent amount of LOH, frenzy IK belt and low'ish AIS, I feel the frenzy would actually be better for you. Try them both out though and please provide some feedback, it will help other members out as well. The way I see it is, frenzy has more AIS, so your CC goes up with higher AIS, thus causing more procs from into the fray and is very easy to mix frenzy and hota's in together while keeping the 20% maniac bonus.

Then I would change ground stomp out and put HOTA in its place (Smash Rune).

@sDoik -- rule #1: Play-style is the biggest difference between a lot of deaths and minimal deaths. Good gear helps, of course. But unless you understand how to synergise your skills, you won't understand how or what to upgrade.

Example: You got a lot of fury spenders but no fury generators. So with that in mind, you might want to switch Frenzy to Bash's Instigation or another rune variant.

That's just one example. More experienced Softcore Barbarians would have a better input than I would :)

Thanks guys, I've tested Bash vs Frenzy a fair bit now (MP4) and although Bash gave me great fury generation which meant more spamming on HOTA, I believe Frenzy suits my build more (especially considering the IK Belt bonus) both in killing efficiency and survivability. The only downside is of course managing fury but I've got that down pat.

With my limited budget I got a 7.5 CC SS with 24 (might be 25, profile not showing block chance anymore?) block for 800k and some IK boots for about the same - so I'm looking at my next upgrade (thinking Ammy?) but alas I'm broke again :)

However, an IK Chest dropped for me on the weekend. I assume I should use this once I can gem it properly? It rolled the following:

854 Armour (big boost over my 295 Cinder)
124 Str (so low :( )
96 Vit
79 RA
550 LPS

Also found a 1096 dps black 1h sword w/OS and 2.x life steal. Once again need to wait to gem it with at least 90% CD I think because it only has 1.3 APS vs my current 1.4 w/84% CD.

Thanks again guys, you S&B'ers are good bunch.

P.S. What's the deal with (some) WW Barbs in public games paying out on us S&B'ers? At least I don't die :)

Roll with your new IK chest, it provide more AR, Armor and Life Regen which are all very nice. You can gem it will all strength and be fine. If you have any problem just roll with 1 Str and 2 Vit Gems. Congrats on the new chest! Drops are always cool!

WW barbs are WW barbs, enough said. I know a lot of cool ones, but the the noob ones are generally some of the most ignorant people around.
Reply Quote
Hey guys, thinking of going snb after i hit plvl 100 (1-2weeks)
What gear should i look into getting? I have a stormshield 33%block/9crit but thats about it.
thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
I'm curious to find out what an average ratio for dps gain is for most snb barbs. For example, on d3rawr under dps gain for me, 1%CC = 5.6%CD = 22.5 str = 1.25% ias = 17 avg damage. Obviously, those ratios will change as I add certain values to each stat, I just wondered if there is an easy "golden" formula to use for quick item comparisons.

For example on defense 1AR = 10 armor = 10 str = 10 int; if you have a 10:1 armor to AR ratio.

Edit: added avg damage increase into my dps ratios

Here is mine, with my PVE SOJ set up.

DPS
+1 Primary Attribute: 67.37
+1% Critical Hit Chance: 2721.09
+1% Critical Hit Damage: 327.37
+1% Attack Speed: 1765.83
+1% Elemental Damage: 1965.74
+1 Min. Damage: 117.75
+1 Max. Damage: 117.75

EHP
+1 Strength: 285.59
+1 Dexterity: 738.01
+1 Intelligence: 255.41
+1 Vitality: 1671.79
+1 Armor: 285.59
+1 Resist All: 2554.73
+1 Life Bonus %: 12786.62
+1 Block Chance %: 21618.76
+1 Block Amount: 173.06
+1 Melee Reduction: 46300.34
+1 Ranged Reduction: 29537.23
+1 Elite Reduction: 40001.96

This is to add to Crypters comments about the importance of a SOJ.... see these numbers below. I highly recommend one as well, the additional fury and skill bonus is also another added bonus as well. I think the more fury you have the better since you can spam some sh!t like a boss when you need it lol!

DPS: 208368.07
vs. Demons:
DPS: 208368.07
vs. Elite:
DPS: 270878.49
vs. Elite Demons:
DPS: 270878.49
Edited by BALLER#1390 on 2/11/2013 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hey guys, thinking of going snb after i hit plvl 100 (1-2weeks)
What gear should i look into getting? I have a stormshield 33%block/9crit but thats about it.
thanks in advance.

Your geared perfect for a SnB set up, better than a WW set up IMO. Just the little things like more CC here, more AR there, more Vit there, ect. Very nice barb my man!

I can see a pair of VIT Ice Climbers as your next upgrade.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/11/2013 06:34 PMPosted by BALLER

Very nice pvp WD bro, your going to make me mad, I can already tell lol.

Yeah man, look at that HP Pool! but suggest you put some life regen stats as it helps a lot!
Reply Quote
View profile
02/11/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Celanian
For pve, offense is the way to go (as long as you have the min ehp to survive). For pvp, it appears that ehp seems more important at the highest levels. The most successful PVP players seem to have tons of life/mitigation and just reasonable dps.

In addition to what Cel mentioned, Aside from having a good EHP/Mitigation, life regen is very important to go with it since LS and LOH is not viable in PVP. I would say a minimum of 2.5k/sec with Inspiring Presence should be decent. However i think the sweet spot would be 3k/sec and more.

Nike
Reply Quote
Any of you new S&B barbs here interested i have a couple pieces of my barb left over id sell cheap if your interested.

Storm Shield:
1209 armor
179str
31%block
9%cc
7% elite reduction

Blackthorne's:
311vit
175str
379loh
10%life

Witching hour:
199str
84vit
47fire res
8%as
41%cd

Anyone interested add me up i will be excepting any reasonable offer and maybe even not so reasonable. Thanks.

interested in your black thornes pants can you add me ill be online in the US in about 4 hours. what are you wanting for it?
Reply Quote
I'm drooling over a sword on the Asian Server.

Sever Conquerer
1301.4 dps
189 str
99 CD
Socket

How much would that bad boy go for if it were on open auction on the US servers?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]