Diablo® III

Path of exile? What do you guys think?

Well now that path of exile is in open beta what do you guys think?
Diablo 3 has some competition now in the action RPG besides torchlight 2.
I'm personally looking forward to path of exile because it looks like its trying out some new things and I LOVE the talent tree.

when I saw that and some gameplay footage, I was sold. I may come back to diablo 3 one day but... I just can't really tolerate it anymore.
Reply Quote
I really appreciate work done by GGG, i have supported it with 7€.
But honestly i thing TL2 and D3 are way more better.
PoE have ugly graphics and effects, poor physics. The talent tree are just dispersive without anything really interesting. Gems system seems a little bit nonsense. They level up even if you don't use them.
Itemization and drops seems good, but in term of fun and gameplay i really prefer TL2 and D3.

It surely deserve a try, it's free.
Reply Quote
I am ok with graphics. they arent flashy but its just how it is. i think it adds some grimy realism to the game.
Physics are pretty bad, i hope they will modify them further down the road.

Most importantly we cannot judge the quality of the game in full by beta. It could turn to better or worse later down the road.

Gameplay is fun. do not judge gameplay dynamics by first few levels (20 ?) as it picks up with your power.

I am looking forward to building 3-5 different builds already.

and its FREE ! (eventhough i supported GGG with $50.
Reply Quote
View profile
I like it but TL2 will still be my game of choice for now. I think PoE will do well though.
Reply Quote

Physics are pretty bad, i hope they will modify them further down the road.

They do plan on updating the game and adding a legit physics engine when they can - as a small Dev indie team it's largely a question of manpower, time, and funds to do things like that. I think people forget that GGG doesn't have a publisher backing them, or funds being brought in from other products/revenue streams, outside of the supporter packs which were only offered starting earlier this year, whereas the game has been in development since 2006. Expect improvements to it in the future, though (and for the animations as well, their animator is on record how he was fairly new to it all when they started, and he is currently going back to improve animations for all classes as he can).

Fun additional fact: the code for the game was largely (if not entirely) written by one guy.

As for what I think? It hits more of the right notes for what I'm looking for in an ARPG than D3 or TL2 manage to hit, and I've quite enjoyed my time in the beta, so I'll definitely be playing it a lot when OB launches in a few more hours.
Edited by Berethos#1965 on 1/23/2013 11:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
I really like it so far, the level of customization is huge, killing things feels satisfying, there is a good amount of difficulty, even at the normal difficulty level, I've not gotten past normal yet as I've been playing with a friend so I'm only towards the end of act 3, because our schedules are a bit different we can't always play together when we play so got an alt im working on when hes not around, and already it's giving more challenge than d3 did in it's hell difficulty. Sure inferno was difficult but it was the bs "we doubled it" difficulty at the time I did it. PoE doesn't feel it has that kind of bs difficulty.

The currency system feels different, I like the change away from gold, but I'm not entirely keen on the EC style of trading. You'll know what I mean by that if you played EQ way back in the day. A more common example would be like the old D2 trading system, except there's a trade chat where you can advertise rather than having to make games specifically for it. I just don't like that it obfuscates the value of things, making it so you can easily rip people off or get ripped off because neither of you really know the value of things..

The art style is something that I really like, it looks a lot more dark and gothic, and realistic, unlike D3 did. Seems more true to the D2 style of artwork only in 3d instead of 2d sprites.

All in all the game really feels a lot more like a diablo game than D3 did, it feels very similar to D2 and is honestly what I really wanted D3 to be more like. I didn't expect D3 to be so far away from it's predecessor, but it really is, in just about every way imaginable, and not in a good way imo, which is probably why it was most peoples biggest disappointment of 2012.

On top of that it's free to play, with no way to buy power, except maybe in the old D2 way of 3rd party sites.

It's really fun, I came in with low expectations, and would have never tried it at all if it wasn't free after how bad D3 pretty much burned me, but it's pretty much everything I wanted D3 to be so far.

The only downside, which could really be considered an upside, is the amount of customization. The way you build your character has huge impacts on how your character is played, it's not all the same like it is in D3 with minor differences, and it takes a lot of experience and testing to really get the builds you want, which will encourage you to remake your characters just to get every point spent perfectly how you want it, but this does take time and experience to learn, so you will ultimately end up going through multiple characters before you settle on that build you want, because the skill tree is huge, making it easy to make choices you well regret later on. It's not newbie friendly in that way, but is something the hardcore really want to have, a reason to restart and play it again. Replayability is huge because of that.

Great game all in all, best modern ARPG I've seen.
Reply Quote
It is ok. Level 11 ranger right now. I still think it is a bit boring. I am not sure where they are getting that the game is deep. The skill tree is nothing new and gem system is very old.

The game just seems to lack personality.

Still going to finish my play through.

Like most games people are going to try to come up with moderately interesting build, but it will eventually get streamlined like D3.

Despite it's flaws D3 is just a more fun game.
Reply Quote
lets see how path of exile will look like in 7 years if you know what I mean

they announced the game in 2010, so we have 5 more years to compare it to d3
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It is ok. Level 11 ranger right now. I still think it is a bit boring. I am not sure where they are getting that the game is deep. The skill tree is nothing new and gem system is very old.

The game just seems to lack personality.

Still going to finish my play through.

Like most games people are going to try to come up with moderately interesting build, but it will eventually get streamlined like D3.

Despite it's flaws D3 is just a more fun game.

Most games aren't very deep at level 11, when you have no access to multiple branches on the skill tree, no linked sockets nor reason for them, no skill synergy, no auras, low movement/attack-speed/crit-rate, few interesting skills etc.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Reply Quote
i like it a lot

it lacks d3's gameplay and overall polish, but is far superior in every other aspect.
Reply Quote
I feel like if I wanted the aspects of poe I would play diablo 1 instead. in terms of combat and playability it does not match up with diablo 3 at all. and I strongly disagree with the idea of needing to constantly recreate your character is re--playability. it's just plain bad design at this point.
Reply Quote
For me its far more fun than Diablo 3. Diablo 3 was far too simplified, but I guess they wanted to make an accessible game.

Funny how people say having to stick to a character build is bad design. RPG has always been about choosing a build that fits our play style, and having to make choices to best optimize our character. That's the fun thing about RPG.

If I want a game that allows me to flip here and there without any consequences, I'll play an action game.
Edited by Hornet85#6574 on 1/26/2013 10:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
then why do so many rpgs allow you to change your classes on the fly? if you look at a popular rpg like, say, FF7 all it took to change your character was swapping out your materia. that's not the only one either, you can do it in Torment, DQ9, and many others.

people went out of their way to skip leveling up new characters as much as possible in D2 via rushes and baal runs. you're out of your mind if you think most people liked releveling characters over and over.
Reply Quote
No contest.
Reply Quote
I liked the game well enough, played the closed beta for quite a while. The only REAL gripe i have is with the whole FFA loot system in multiplayer games (i tend to play ranged a lot). I HATED that in D2, and i still hate it in PoE. I like how D3 and TL2 handle loot much better.
Reply Quote
then why do so many rpgs allow you to change your classes on the fly? if you look at a popular rpg like, say, FF7 all it took to change your character was swapping out your materia. that's not the only one either, you can do it in Torment, DQ9, and many others.

people went out of their way to skip leveling up new characters as much as possible in D2 via rushes and baal runs. you're out of your mind if you think most people liked releveling characters over and over.

The problem with that kind of thinking is exactly what D3 is suffering from. Not really understanding the fundamental satisfaction that can be derived from counter-intuitive gameplay mechanisms.

Say for example. Open world boss raids in MMORPG. Many people would be telling you that they hate having to camp for these bosses and there will be a whole hosts of griefing, pking, and even bots usage to snipe claim of bots. And if the devs think like "oh, this is such a painful process. Let me remove it." Or make bosses spawn with triggers you can easily farm or lower the respawn window until no one really worries about such open world raids anymore. Then people simply take this for granted. You lose the epic feeling of what it means to jostle with others and the satisfaction of a claim.

Similarly for arpg, by dumbing down character customization or the permanence of the character, you are no longer able to give theory crafters the satisfaction of defining a build because the pain of relevelling is part of the satisfaction process.
Reply Quote

The problem with that kind of thinking is exactly what D3 is suffering from. Not really understanding the fundamental satisfaction that can be derived from counter-intuitive gameplay mechanisms.

Say for example. Open world boss raids in MMORPG. Many people would be telling you that they hate having to camp for these bosses and there will be a whole hosts of griefing, pking, and even bots usage to snipe claim of bots. And if the devs think like "oh, this is such a painful process. Let me remove it." Or make bosses spawn with triggers you can easily farm or lower the respawn window until no one really worries about such open world raids anymore. Then people simply take this for granted. You lose the epic feeling of what it means to jostle with others and the satisfaction of a claim.

Similarly for arpg, by dumbing down character customization or the permanence of the character, you are no longer able to give theory crafters the satisfaction of defining a build because the pain of relevelling is part of the satisfaction process.

You are partially right, however most players aren't theory crafters. Most players are just in it to have fun, and for most players having to reroll because their debatably 'good' got broken because a patch nerfed an OP build that happened to use some of their passives is not going to be fun.

Between that problem and the lackluster gameplay (combat just isn't fun, it feels clunky and slow), I can't see PoE maintaining the large playerbase that it has now. D3 has a deeper skill system than PoE; PoE has a more complex skill system than D3.

I thought we'd all learned our lesson about what happens when you give players access to all abilities in the game from GW: metabuilds. Unlike passives, which I believe will be marginalized to the point of being useless or cookie-cutter, skill gems can be changed at will (and cheaply if you're willing to grind). This can be contrasted with Guild Wars, which has freely redistributable skills and 'passives' (attributes) while in a town.

Further, while the skill tree is !@#$ing massive, it is still a numeric skill tree and as such can be maximized. While the hugeness of it inhibits the maximization of it, it also inhibits the ability to balance it. People will math it out; people will find the top builds for each class and they will write about it and people will do like they do in most games with talent trees: they will copy.

TL;DR: nothing about PoE is very well thought out. The classes could be interesting but ended up being boring, the gameplay is clunky and uninteresting, the passive system will not end up being any different than any other talent tree, except more time-consuming to reset.
Reply Quote
View profile
After playing D2 for years, TL1 for months, TL2 for 3 hours, and D3 for ... 100 some odd hours? I don't know. Either way I just have no interest in ARPGs at the moment, so I have no plans to play PoE.
Reply Quote
When I bought d3 I was actually expecting POE

goodbye 60 bucks
Reply Quote
View profile
When I bought d3 I was actually expecting POE

goodbye 60 bucks

At least it was only $60. Think about all those suckers who paid for 7 years of WoW 4 expansions.

Sigh... goodbye $1000 :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]