Diablo® III

path of exile=Bleh

My inner nerd has found what it's been looking for. Feels so good to theorycraft (and craft) again. <3
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 02:52 AMPosted by Skullcrusher
I almost forgot the satisfaction of seeing great items drop
What are you talking about? Great templates (good stats, poor sockets or vice versa) do drop in PoE but great items (not uniques) being actually dropped is about as common as near-perfect legendaries in D3. Soon you will find out that what you find is actually only average to decent compared to the best rolled items in PoE. You have to compare apples to apples (endgame to endgame or leveling to leveling).
Edited by Elexar#2219 on 1/25/2013 3:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
PoE's graphics are serviceable, but it's going to be tough for any crowd-funded indie to match the look of a AAA release from the biggest game studio on the planet. I'm one of those who really likes the look of D3 (except for Magda and the Withermoths, which are jarringly out of place). D3 is gorgeous; Grinding Gear haven't beaten it, and likely won't, when it comes to the look of their game.

In terms of game-play: PoE's definitely a "slow burn" to start with. I'm sure that there's an epic story line coming, but your Exile's motivations start off very personal (and varied), and beginning the game marooned on a desolate coast, empty-handed, wearing nothing but rags, gives a very different feel to begin the game. I like the little monologues you get on the class selection screen, adding to the atmosphere by using realistic/self-interested motivations by the characters: your character doesn't necessarily start off as a hero, and that makes the game's story feel more complex right off the bat. I love that NPCs are always telling you how crazy it is to risk one's neck for others, and advising you to keep your head down, even as they basically acknowledge that they desperately need help; it lends a dark and nuanced feel to things.

It doesn't take long for the pace to pick up, either; my Templar's only gained a few levels, but I'm already seeing changes in how the toon plays that result from my skill choices, and have started trying to "map out" a path to the kind of build that I want to have in the end. The "barter system" vendors are kinda neat, too, and fit very well with the game thematically, and I love being able to use orbs to turn mundane items into magic ones, upgrade the "affixes" on already-magic items; turn "blue" items into "rare" items, etc. The itemized "materia" skill system is interesting, too, and I like that skills level up as you use them.

TLDR: I'm still deciding whether I like PoE enough to donate to its further development, but overall, I think that Grinding Gear have done an amazing job on a shoe-string budget. Production values aren't AAA-caliber, but they're not too far short, and I'd recommend PoE to anyone who's bored with whatever they're currently playing. At a price of free-to-play, there's not a lot to lose; if nothing else, it can help pass the time while we wait to see what D3's "new" direction ends up being (or wait for GD and/or LE, etc.).

That's my $0.05 (smallest change I can make, now we don't have pennies up here anymore).
Edited by Waitubold#1127 on 1/25/2013 3:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 12:14 PMPosted by DoomBringer
Oh, so you get to decide who's hardcore arpg players now?

Grinding Gear describe their own game as aimed at hard-core gamers, rather than more casual ones.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 12:28 PMPosted by DoomBringer
Diablo 3 feels so much smoother than PoE.

At its best, yes, it can be. I still see a lot of lag, stutter, and rubberbanding in D3, though, and I haven't noticed any of those problems yet with PoE.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 03:34 AMPosted by Waitubold
Diablo 3 feels so much smoother than PoE.

At its best, yes, it can be. I still see a lot of lag, stutter, and rubberbanding in D3, though, and I haven't noticed any of those problems yet with PoE.

Sure! PoE is so empty in term of game mechanics. You can't have rubberbanding if nothing create it.
Reply Quote
So I tried this game for a few hours last night. I must say, with all the hardcore supporters spamming this forum I may have had my expectations raised a little too high, but I'm not really impressed.

I like the environments, I like the skills and itemization, and I love the simple sense of adventure and gear hunting. What I don't like are the horrible animations and the clunky game play, the 1990's map, and the 30 foot seam between the sprites and the environment. It makes me feel really disconnected from what I'm trying to do.

Lots of people are saying that it is impressive a small group of guys could build a game from ground up without an established infrastructure or solid funding - well they didn't start with nothing. Really what they did was take a bunch of pre-existing game ideas, melted them together in a pot, and built a game they thought people wanted to play - and, in theory, they got a lot of that right. What they are missing, though, is actual development experience. This feels like a game put together by 7 guys in someone's basement, funded by nothing other than coffee and a desire to make an ARPG that fills all the voids fans keep pointing out. It feels cheap - it feels like it was built by a bunch of people with no experience in animation or game mechanics.

It feels like a free to play game.

And, of course, it is. And it is still in Beta. So for any D3 fanboys reading this with your Blizzard-Blinders actually turned off for once, despite what I feel about the game, you should give it a shot. I certainly feel I owe it at least a few more hours of playtime before I uninstall and forget about it. After all, I may not love it, but I'm still being somewhat entertained - and it's free.
Edited by Timmet#1144 on 1/25/2013 7:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 07:32 AMPosted by Timmet
And, of course, it is. And it is still in Beta. So for any D3 fanboys reading this with your Blizzard-Blinders actually turned off for once, despite what I feel about the game, you should give it a shot. I certainly feel I owe it at least a few more hours of playtime before I uninstall and forget about it. After all, I may not love it, but I'm still being somewhat entertained - and it's free

Well said, its not like action rpgs have a monthly fee, you can play or try more than one. Sure everyone is going to have their favorite, for a good reason I hope.
Reply Quote
all you have is your potions with stats and your "ok" gem system. D3 has minimal flaws compared to this game. PoE is sooooooo bad. All of you need to get off krips dingdong and get your own sense of identity. All that dude does is sit on a webcam and qq.
Edited by darkthrone#1400 on 1/25/2013 1:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
I understand why some D3 players hate it, they have to think a little bit and it hurts their tiny little brain. Its ok i have a cousin that has a hard time thinking also, hes 5.
Reply Quote
poe = pos bad game made for bad players, this thread justifies that.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 10:24 PMPosted by Luminos
I understand why some D3 players hate it, they have to think a little bit and it hurts their tiny little brain. Its ok i have a cousin that has a hard time thinking also, hes 5.
Stop acting like you are intelligent because you came to the conclusion that stacking a few damage multipliers acting on the same damage type is better than haphazardly taking nodes. PoE theorycrafting is pretty straightforward once you know what is possible (what skill gems exist especially support gems, how keystones work exactly, how does armor/ES work, which uniques grant special keystone-like bonuses, etc.), it seems overly complex only when you are new to the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]