Diablo® III

Why can I bid on the same item twice?

I bid on a item and instead of 1million i put 10 mill. I thought i could change the bid so I bib again but set it to 1 million and all of the sudden it shows current bid as 1 million and saying I'm not winning. I got the 1 mill back but not the 10. I don't get why it bumps up the bid to 1 million if I already set the my max bid to 10. I tried it with another item. The start bid was 300 gold i put 1000 gold, which made the current bid 300 and i bid again and raised the current bid to 500.
I think it's stupid how it acted like another person bib on the item.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 06:29 AMPosted by DeadRu
keep doing that you will end up banned an be wondering why.

Ban for what cause?
Reply Quote
The GAH is bugged atm i bidded for some item and got out bid when i wanna increase my bid i get imput failure and under the current bid it stat 0 gold and the time wasn't up yet.
Reply Quote
Most likely a bug. You can outbid yourself if you want to without any issues.

You put a bid of 1m on a item. You later realize you want that item but it ends at night and you are asleep. You put all your money (500m for example) and if nobody puts over 500m you win. You will pay at least 1.1m for the item (1m + 10%*1m = 1.1m).
Reply Quote
I bid on a item and instead of 1million i put 10 mill. I thought i could change the bid so I bib again but set it to 1 million and all of the sudden it shows current bid as 1 million and saying I'm not winning. I got the 1 mill back but not the 10. I don't get why it bumps up the bid to 1 million if I already set the my max bid to 10. I tried it with another item. The start bid was 300 gold i put 1000 gold, which made the current bid 300 and i bid again and raised the current bid to 500.
I think it's stupid how it acted like another person bib on the item.

Because once you bid, you can't take it back. Trying to lower your bid only results in you increasing the price of the item.

You should be careful when bidding, now you know.
Reply Quote
No bug here. Your max bid is still 10mil. You will still win the item eventually unless someone bids more than 10mil.

What you've done is to drive up the current bid of that item for yourself. So yeah, you just increased the amount you would pay for no reason, sorry to inform you.
Reply Quote
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-functionality

the system will automatically place a bid at the lowest possible winning price, in 5% increments, up to the maximum the player sets

you have placed your bid at 10m, you will win the auction at the lowest winning price, if nobody bid against you. you will get back your 9m (10mil - 1mil current bid) at the end of auction.
Reply Quote
What you effectivly did is make a proxy bid and then up the bid yourself...which will end up costing you more money..

If you make a bid over the price of the item but greater then the required 5% increase your bid will stand until the bid goes over that price. If the bid never gets there you get the item and the return from your initial bid back.

Example 1:

1) You bid 10M on an item that is 500k
2) Eventually the item is bid up to 6M by other people (they all see the message that there bid is not the max one).
3) Everyone else decides 6M is too much for the item
4) The auction expires and you pay 6M for the item and get 4M back

Example 2:

1) You bid 10M on an item that is 500k
2) Someone bids the item up to 11M
3) Your bid is outbid
4) you get your 10M back

What you did by bidding the 1M the second time is raising the acutal bid price of the item to 1M...thats not to say someone wouldn't have bid it to that at some point already...but you just "inflated it" with out any meaning
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 07:16 AMPosted by Veldin
What you've done is to drive up the current bid of that item for yourself. So yeah, you just increased the amount you would pay for no reason, sorry to inform you.

Well, if that's intended it's stupid. I'll go for a bug, I hope it's a bug because it would make absolutely zero sense to program it this way.
Reply Quote

Well, if that's intended it's stupid. I'll go for a bug, I hope it's a bug because it would make absolutely zero sense to program it this way.

I hope you're not being serious. It makes perfect sense. If someone set a max bid to be 10mil, he should not be able to change his max bid. He should ONLY be able to up his own current bid. I suppose it is not smart to do so, but either way, why should he be allowed to withdraw the 10mil bid and put in a lower one? A bid is a bid, and should be irreversible. Working as intended.

I wonder what is more 'stupid': the way it is programmed (which has been the way since day 1 and has caused no problems whatsoever), or the moron who ups his own bid...

No change required here; working as intended for anyone with half a brain.
Edited by Veldin#1214 on 1/24/2013 8:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 08:53 PMPosted by Veldin

I hope you're not being serious. It makes perfect sense. If someone set a max bid to be 10mil, he should not be able to change his max bid. He should ONLY be able to up his own current bid. I suppose it is not smart to do so, but either way, why should he be allowed to withdraw the 10mil bid and put in a lower one? A bid is a bid, and should be irreversible. Working as intended.

I wonder what is more 'stupid': the way it is programmed (which has been the way since day 1 and has caused no problems whatsoever), or the moron who ups his own bid...

It doesn't work like that on any bidding site I've ever visited, and it sure as hell doesn't work like that on ebay.

If I have put down a maximum bid of 100 on an starting bid of 10, the current bid should sit at 10. If I raise my maximum bid to 150, the current bid should remain at 10 because I'm not competing against myself.

Regarding the personal attack, yeah, I've raised my maximum bid many, many times - for many, many reasons. In the Diablo AH I raised my own bid once (I'll never do that again!) because the first one was just to put it down as a reminder and later raised it because I couldn't baby-sit the auction and simply put down what I was willing to pay. I won the auction and presumably lost millions of gold because of this ridiculous 'feature'.
Reply Quote

It doesn't work like that on any bidding site I've ever visited, and it sure as hell doesn't work like that on ebay.

If I have put down a maximum bid of 100 on an starting bid of 10, the current bid should sit at 10. If I raise my maximum bid to 150, the current bid should remain at 10 because I'm not competing against myself.

Regarding the personal attack, yeah, I've raised my maximum bid many, many times - for many, many reasons. In the Diablo AH I raised my own bid once (I'll never do that again!) because the first one was just to put it down as a reminder and later raised it because I couldn't baby-sit the auction and simply put down what I was willing to pay. I won the auction and presumably lost millions of gold because of this ridiculous 'feature'.

The OP's situation is not the same as yours then. He wanted to lower the max bid from 10mil to 1mil. You should not be able to do that. He was not aware of this and got burnt as a result.

I can agree that if you were instead simply raising the max bid, the current bid should not be raised another 5%. It definitely isn't a bug though, as the AH does warn you when you try to raise the max bid, that you are also raising the current bid 5% (if it were a bug, there wouldn't be a warning).

But this is a different issue from being ignorant of the bidding system. My comments are directed more at those who are unaware of the difference between max and current bid, and come here crying about a 'bug'. Apologies if I misunderstood you.
Edited by Veldin#1214 on 1/26/2013 1:13 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]