Diablo® III

Armor + Resist all is a Must... on your Gears

At the beginning I thought that having +800 resist all with One with everything will help me to farm mp 7 and above, but I failed. I thought that I can stand on Fire, Laser, molten for a long period like the barb`s Berserker, but died a lot of time. I`ve spent at least 50M on my Monks gears to get lots of vitality and double resist all + lightning and +2000 Life on hit.

Then I quit my Monk because she can`t tank as good as a barb on MP 5 and above without dying 10 times. She deceived me lot of time. She was so weak even with 800+ resist all. Was wondering what went wrong. Ive tried most of the successful build on the Forum.

Several weeks after quitting my Monk, I saw a friend playing with his Monk. I was playing my barb on MP 7-8 act 2-3. My first thought was... oh that guy is going to die every 5 sec. with his Monk. Surprised... he can stand on fire, laser, poison, ice, molten for a long period by the time we kill the elites. Then I looked at his build... very standard. Temple rush a bit, one with everything, fist of thunder, mantra resistance. Went to try that on my Monk, but didn`t work welll as I thought. I looked on his gears +600 resist all... lower than me. Was pissed about my Monk again.

Then 1 day, while inspecting his profile again, I noticed something.... +1400 ARMOR. I barely have that on me. I decided to give one more shot on my Monk, maybe last. I went on AH and spent 30M on gears with +Dex, +Vit, +Resist all and +ARMOR. Wasnt able to get double resist (resist all + lightning) cause it was too expensive for my budget. I went on Rare gears.

Once equipped, I went for a test with some friends on MP 7-8.... and I was AMAZED and SURPRISED that I can now last longer on Fire, Molten, Laser, Ice and Chain. It was like a wet dream for me. My resist all went a bit low but over all, the damage reduction skyrocked. With some Dodge skill, I am almost Invincible

My EHP is now 800k compared to 500-600k before
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/souligna-1996/Thevadah/24856644
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Souligna-1996/hero/24856644

So I suggest to every Monk to spend on the right gears for higher MP on your first buy. I wasted 50M on wrong gears at the beginning :-(

What I need now is better weapon to kill them faster.

Good luck to every Monk.. Spend your money on Resist all + Armor... no less.

------------------------------------- Francais QC -------------------------------------

Au début, je pensais qu'avec +800 resist all j'allais pouvoir jouer facilement sur MP 7+, mais j'ai échoué misérablement. Je pensais que je pouvais resister au Feu, laser, la lave, glace sur une longue période pour tuer les Élites comme les Barbs, mais je mourais souvent. J'ai dépensé près de 50M sur mon équipement pour avoir +vie + resist all + lightning resist +2000 Life on hit.

Après j'ai quitté mon MONk car elle pouvait pas tanker comme un Barb au niveau supérieur MP5 sans mourir 10 fois. Elle m'a décue et écoeurer de savoir qu'elle est si faible même avec 800 resist all. Qu'est-ce qui ce passe, pourquoi ça marche pas, même avec les builds trouvés sur le forum.

Plusieurs semaines après, j'avais un de mes amis qui jouait avec son Monk avec mon barb sur mp 7-8 et je me suis dit... oh ce gars vas mourrir a chaque 5 secondes. Surpris, il mourrait très peu même sur le feu, laser, chaine, la lave, glace. J'ai donc essayé son build, qui est standard, mais sans succès, je mourrais quand même souvent sur mp7-8. J'ai inspecté son profil... +600 resist all avec One with everything, un plus bas que moi (+800 sur le mien). J'ai encore inspecté son profile et j'ai remarqué un +1400 ARMOR. J'ai regardé sur mon profile et j'ai très peu d'ARMOR, mais beaucoup de resist all + resist lightning (+800).

Je me suis donc donné une dernière chance avant de laisser tombé mon Monk pour de bon. Je suis allé m'acheter de l'équipement +Dex +vit +Resist all +ARMOR pour 30M. J'ai pas pu acheter double resist (resist all + lightning resist), car c'était trop cher pour mon budget.

Je l'ai donc équippé pour un test sur mp 7-8 avec mes amis. WOW, j'ai réussi a resté sur le feu, laser, la lave, la glace, les chaines un peu plus longtemps pour tuer le champion. Je me suis senti quasiment INvincible... c'était comme un Rêve mouillé.

Mon EHP est maintenant 800k comparé a 500-600k avant
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/souligna-1996/Thevadah/24856644
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Souligna-1996/hero/24856644

Je suggère donc a tout les Monks d'investir sur des équipements +Resist all +ARMOR... RIEN DE MOINS. J'ai gaspillé 50M avant en pensant que c'était assez avec +800 resist all.

Maintenant, j'ai juste besoin de meilleur armes pour les tuer plus vite au niveau supérieur MP5+.

Bonne chance a tous.... +RESIST ALL +ARMURE... rien de moins.
Edited by Souligna#1996 on 1/24/2013 8:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
The thing is, it is rather hard or even impossible to maintain that level of EHP and improve your DPS.

Apart from better weapons, you will need offensive armor items like Inna's pants, Lacuni bracers, stuff that are very weak in terms of EHP.

What you need is actually more sustain (LS/LOH/LPSS), monks can usually settle on 450-550 EHP with good sustain. Anymore EHP and you are badly gimping your DPS.

Also, we arent spin to win barbs, cycling through your defensive skills (serenity,heal, blind) are and positioning are much more important to us.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/24/2013 08:05 AMPosted by Shade
What you need is actually more sustain (LS/LOH/LPSS), monks can usually settle on 450-550 EHP with good sustain. Anymore EHP and you are badly gimping your DPS.

I couldn't agree with you more. When gearing my Monk, I was targeting 700-800K eHP initially and I noticed by doing so (via online calcs) I was gimping dps in a huge way.
Edited by IPawnU#1220 on 1/24/2013 8:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
Question...

With ur high dps +150k can u tank easily MP 8-9-10 without dying too often?
Reply Quote
View profile
If you're looking to face-roll MP8+ like a Barb with a Monk, it's not going to happen. To be honest, I thought blizz would have nerfed WW by now. They are really OP.

But, that being said. If you have good mitigation and sustain eHP with 150K unbuffed dps, you'll do very well in higher MPs as a Monk. The key is LS, LoH and LPSS...like Shade said.
Edited by IPawnU#1220 on 1/24/2013 8:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
I only die when against those Molten/Reflect mops that run away and shoot from range. (those 2 are getting nerf soon)

Or get stuck in some really bad places with multiple laser beams (i once got stuck in a wall literally)

But with my gear, you can expect a full act 3 MP 7-8 clear with 2-3 deaths average, maybe less If you really played safe and dont try to overextend. MP 9 and above takes too long and gets significantly harder, deaths also increase ALOT. (1 death per 2-3 packs , 10+ deaths per full clear)

Somehow I find act 2 the hardest for EF monks, those wasps are really annoying.
Reply Quote
Sé pas super compliquer arrange toi pour frapper en haut de 170k pis change d'arme ... 2X3%ls..... meme avec 500 de resit jcreve rarement a mp10 ....
Reply Quote
I suggest you use d3up.com for a better measure of EHP calculations. I think it's more accurate, as it breaks down the number into different purposes. If I'm not mistaken, the EHP calculation from diabloprogress tends to inflate your EHP number (for reasons unknown to me).

01/24/2013 08:55 AMPosted by Shade

I'm not an EF monk, and I also find A2 the most difficult. I think I might need to change my build to find ways to stop certain attacks (to incorporate more stuns or blinding effects) because things like wasps and magewraiths will be the death of me.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 08:55 AMPosted by BatyBoii
Sé pas super compliquer arrange toi pour frapper en haut de 170k pis change d'arme ... 2X3%ls..... meme avec 500 de resit jcreve rarement a mp10 ....

Facile a dire, mais pas facile a faire... tes gears dois surement te coûter près de 500M -1 Milliard gold.

J'ai malheureusement pas ça en ce moment, a moins que je trouve un bon drop et le vend 50M-100M.

Oui, j'ai besoin d'une armer avec crit damage +open socket pour me rendre a 150k dps. C mon autre objectif. J'ai aussi besoin de me leveler au niveau 80-100 paragon.

Je ne suis pas très riche comme toi encore.... :-(
Reply Quote
I suggest you use d3up.com for a better measure of EHP calculations. I think it's more accurate, as it breaks down the number into different purposes. If I'm not mistaken, the EHP calculation from diabloprogress tends to inflate your EHP number (for reasons unknown to me).

I'm not an EF monk, and I also find A2 the most difficult. I think I might need to change my build to find ways to stop certain attacks (to incorporate more stuns or blinding effects) because things like wasps and magewraiths will be the death of me.

I have a dodge build, I can increase my dodge by 60% with mantra and FOT lightning. I can dodge wasp, laser, ice, fire chain, range et lot of hits from mobs.... I feel INVINCIBLE sometimes. With combo strike I can boost my dps by +20k.

Ill try to check on d3up.com later.. thx
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 08:05 AMPosted by Shade

i couldn't agree less, and "settling" on a low EHP is the opposite of how we should gear ourselves. i spent months hovering around 500 and once i got mine up, i noticed huge differences in my ability to survive even solo on MP10.

the catch is it gets expensive, but my point is that it CAN be done without gimping DPS. the OP needs to make smart decisions about gear, and yes, AR, +armor and Vit on your gear will make huge improvements in your overall ability to tackle higher MP's.
Reply Quote
I only die when against those Molten/Reflect mops that run away and shoot from range. (those 2 are getting nerf soon)

Or get stuck in some really bad places with multiple laser beams (i once got stuck in a wall literally)

But with my gear, you can expect a full act 3 MP 7-8 clear with 2-3 deaths average, maybe less If you really played safe and dont try to overextend. MP 9 and above takes too long and gets significantly harder, deaths also increase ALOT. (1 death per 2-3 packs , 10+ deaths per full clear)

On MP 8, I've dodged most of Laser. Molten and reflect doesnt scare me anymore.

Yes I know that I need better weapon with crit damage +open socket, but will need lots of gold... that I dont have right now.

I also need to level up a bit to level 80-100 paragon.

thx for ur input
Reply Quote
You cant dodge everything, especially the most dangerous stuff in the game.

Molten, reflect. Dodge does not apply to those.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 09:21 AMPosted by Souligna
I have a dodge build, I can increase my dodge by 60% with mantra and FOT lightning. I can dodge wasp, laser, ice, fire chain, range et lot of hits from mobs.... I feel INVINCIBLE sometimes. With combo strike I can boost my dps by +20k.

i do the dodge build occasionally, and for me i get up to 70+ dodge percent. want to feel even more invincible? try switching to deadly reach, keen eye plus hard target and watch your armor jump over 8K!
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 09:25 AMPosted by Souligna

I don't think you can dodge the arcane lasers (which I think is ridiculous) and ground effects.
Reply Quote
Yep armor is huge it's as important if not more so then resist
Also having extra health helps on really high mp if you can get health without cutting much dps
It's actually ok to cut some dps to maintain over 40k health if you don't you will probably die a lot
One really under rated stat actually it's not underrated by the pros is life on globe pickup
If you can get a piece of gear with 10-12k health on globe it's like having a full juv every kill
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 09:29 AMPosted by Nameless
I don't think you can dodge the arcane lasers (which I think is ridiculous) and ground effects.

agreed, they cannot be dodged
Reply Quote
Globe bonus is only useful on low MPs where you can one shot mops, or at least kill them fast enough.

On higher MPs you cant kill fast enough for globes to drop when you need them, and it is considered an unreliable way of sustain.

Imaging pounding on a RD elite on MP7 and above, your HP is plummeting while his HP isnt dropping at all and no globes appear.
Reply Quote
Globe bonus is only useful on low MPs where you can one shot mops, or at least kill them fast enough.
On higher MPs you cant kill fast enough for globes to drop when you need them, and it is considered an unreliable way of sustain.

Imaging pounding on a RD elite on MP7 and above, your HP is plummeting while his HP isnt dropping at all and no globes appear.

Potions on the other hand :)
Reply Quote

Sorry I mistype what I want to say. True, I cant dodge Molten and reflect... my mistake.

But yes I see Dodge Spamming on Laser, hits, fire chain.

I am not frozen even without serenity.

Not taking hit while 2 lasers passed over me.

Dodge dodge dodge spamming very often when i fight and stand there.

S
Edited by Souligna#1996 on 1/24/2013 9:48 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]