Diablo® III

Armor + Resist all is a Must... on your Gears

01/24/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Shade
Imaging pounding on a RD elite on MP7 and above, your HP is plummeting while his HP isnt dropping at all and no globes appear.

This is where strategic positioning is helpful. You just move towards the closest health globe (while still attacking with DR), and BAM, heal for 20K health (in my case). There is usually a bunch of health globes lying around (since I save them for occasions such as this). I also tend to shut down my SW if it's buffed with FitL and other buffs, and also shut down my MoC/Overawe when I find myself up against RD packs, respam SW for less damage so that my HP doesn't plummet as fast (if at all) while I still get my attacks in. The fights last longer, but survivability is upped.

You are right in that it's unreliable at times, but it is not without it's uses in higher MPs. Plus the bonus also applies to potions, so each time I down a potion, it's also a 20K heal as opposed to a 12K heal. Truth be told, I think it may be too much of a crutch for me but it'll be hard for me to take this off because it is such a cheap way to use as a secondary form of heal/sustain.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 1/24/2013 9:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hahaha, the last time I actually saved a globe was during the 1.02 kiting wiz times. I remember taking the effort to save every glove i did not need carefully.

My wiz back then had no sustain, and I kited elite packs half the map regularly, if I met them too early into a dungeon i was dead.

Ah good old times, that made me quit D3 for 3-4 months until i came back recently.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 09:26 AMPosted by AnHiLaToR
I have a dodge build, I can increase my dodge by 60% with mantra and FOT lightning. I can dodge wasp, laser, ice, fire chain, range et lot of hits from mobs.... I feel INVINCIBLE sometimes. With combo strike I can boost my dps by +20k.

i do the dodge build occasionally, and for me i get up to 70+ dodge percent. want to feel even more invincible? try switching to deadly reach, keen eye plus hard target and watch your armor jump over 8K!

Deadly reach - keen eye will try this tonight...

I have Hard target already

Thx for your input
Reply Quote
my monk can farm mp10, mind you not efficiently, with an occasional death. mp8-9 are much easier modes to play, still not efficient like lower mp's.

5200 armor with STI
686 RA w/o OwE
96k dps unbuffed.
40kish Hp (forget the real number)

now if i could just get these stats on HC, with a little more HP id be in heaven......
Reply Quote
I can face tank like a barb in MP5/MP6 with my build, only thing that pushes me back is crazy combos like horde/reflect or molten/reflect and even then i'm able to sustain their damage for a couple seconds.

Comme les autres ont dit, c'est vraiment de te booster ton eHP pis ton life sustain autant que possible. Une chose qui n'a pas été dites c'est qu'il y a un ratio Armor:Resists à respecter si tu veux obtenir le maximum de sustain possible. Le ratio est 10Armor : 1Resist (donc 500 resist pour 5000 armor...).
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/24/2013 10:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
Those are very impressive LPSS numbers!

I suggest your drop swap CD for IAS for your rings and gloves, it will further increase the effectiveness of your LPSS as you regen spirit faster.

Also, when 1.07 hits, you can use skills like WOL, and with fast enough spirit regen the results will be even more impressive.
Reply Quote

I suggest your drop swap CD for IAS for your rings and gloves, it will further increase the effectiveness of your LPSS as you regen spirit faster.

Also, when 1.07 hits, you can use skills like WOL, and with fast enough spirit regen the results will be even more impressive.

Thanks!
I usually run Quickening and will resume using it when 1.07 comes around and i'm able to effectively pick up LTK/Scorpion Sting up again without feeling that my damage is gimped. Using Quickening, i believe it's much more efficient for me to focus on my crits and the damage they deal. I do try to glean IAS% left and right when i can but i feel fine with what i have. One slot that i'm definitely gonna add IAS% to eventually is my gloves however not at the cost of Crit Dmg... I'll simply look for trifecta gloves. Also, my non-trifecta ring (the one on my main hand side), i might buy an avg. dmg, IAS and CC trifecta like you said but that mostly depends on what i can find on the AH. Those kinds of ring are pretty 'effin rare, i'm lucky i even have one.

EDIT: Your main-hand ring.... omfg... do want... *drools*
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 1/24/2013 11:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
I can face tank like a barb in MP5/MP6 with my build, only thing that pushes me back is crazy combos like horde/reflect or molten/reflect and even then i'm able to sustain their damage for a couple seconds.

Comme les autres ont dit, c'est vraiment de te booster ton eHP pis ton life sustain autant que possible. Une chose qui n'a pas été dites c'est qu'il y a un ratio Armor:Resists à respecter si tu veux obtenir le maximum de sustain possible. Le ratio est 10Armor : 1Resist (donc 500 resist pour 5000 armor...).

Mon ehp est environ 820k, c quasiment le double du tien qui est de 450k ehp. Donc, je suis en très bonne position pour me défendre et survivre à toute sorte de situations. Je joue souvent sur MP7-8 et j'ai vraiment pas de problème avec les Laser, feu, Molten, poison et je peux rester la pendant 5 min sans bouger ou presque.

Mes resist all est 493 et Armor 4427, je suis proche du 10 : 1, il me manque juste quelque truc sur amulet et ring et je serais parfaisl.

Ce que je veux annoncer sur mon message, c'est qu'il Faut Pas Négliger le +ARMOR dans la sélection de tes équipements. Très souvent, les gens n'achètent que +Dex +Vit +Resist all, mais oublie +ARMOR. J'ai gaspillé 50M en pensant que ça allait marcher avec +800 resist all et +1500 LOH +40-50k hp. Le +Armor réduit énormément les dégats en plus de tes resist all. Même que desfois, je suis le dernier a ne pas mourir devant un pack d'élite. Le seul lacune que j'ai maintenant c mon dps. Pas de gold en ce moment, j'attend un gros drop ou sauver beaucoup de sous pour les upgrades. Je suis pas riche comme toi encore....

Mon dodge est mon deuxième moyen de défense. 2 lasers me passent dessus et souvent je les dodges. Super facile et efficace.

Merci pour ton input
Edited by Souligna#1996 on 1/24/2013 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

Thanks!
I usually run Quickening and will resume using it when 1.07 comes around and i'm able to effectively pick up LTK/Scorpion Sting up again without feeling that my damage is gimped. Using Quickening, i believe it's much more efficient for me to focus on my crits and the damage they deal. I do try to glean IAS% left and right when i can but i feel fine with what i have. One slot that i'm definitely gonna add IAS% to eventually is my gloves however not at the cost of Crit Dmg... I'll simply look for trifecta gloves. Also, my non-trifecta ring (the one on my main hand side), i might buy an avg. dmg, IAS and CC trifecta like you said but that mostly depends on what i can find on the AH. Those kinds of ring are pretty 'effin rare, i'm lucky i even have one.

http://i.imgur.com/rKO9mcT.jpg

Proof it cost just 50M, on a buyout no less.

http://i.imgur.com/eBDj2mF.jpg

A cheaper version, slightly less dex (-40), and -2IAS for 15M only
Reply Quote

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/rKO9mcT.jpg

Proof it cost just 50M, on a buyout no less.

http://i.imgur.com/eBDj2mF.jpg

A cheaper version, slightly less dex (-40), and -2IAS for 15M only

Wish I had the gold and Time to spend on AH to buy Low and sell High like u do.

Maybe one day if I find good drop :-)
Reply Quote
Finally found someone that had the same mindset with me.

I was on phy res last time, and when I heard the nerf of STI and possible nerf of OwE, I made a heartpain decision to gear out from these 2 passive - one piece of gear at a time.

So I ended up with what I am now, 103k dps dual wield 5.5%LS+969LoH (or 120k dps with 2.5%LS for swapping out my hellfire & MH for WKL/unity), 580AR+5299Armor without OwE/STI. My life is on the lower end 35k on ruby/41k on Amethyst but most of the critical items is in place.

MP10, while killing is rather slow, I have very little problem surviving. I was using the OwE/STI but lately I completely drop it for Beacon of YTar & other passive. As what other are mentioned, stay out of the ground effect is the key of surviving.

my future upgrade path is to get better weapons, ammy and hope can touch 150dps unbuff while maintaining the current survivability.
Reply Quote
check out my profile. under 4k armor, under 600 resist, under 600 loh and only one ls weapon handle mp10 without much of an issue (other than not having enough dps to burn them down as fast as other uber monks can)

gears does matter, but with the right skill sets it goes a long way. thanks to way of light blinding rune i can manage cc at the right time so that i'm not taking double damage.
Reply Quote
@Deadlock

Your build is pretty much a dodge build. I did use similar build during Ubers when another MoC monk is around -> MoE + bell stun + guardian path + blind, can double stun raka/ghom, sb/kulle. With the continuous bell spam SK's movement can be easily seen and walk of dead can be avoided.
Reply Quote
I have to agree with the OP on this one, but maybe not for the same reasons. I think the biggest benefit on focusing on high damage reduction is how much more effective sustain effects like LoH, LS, and LPSS are at keeping you in the fight.

High armor also allows you to run overawe instead of hard target, which is a huge boost in DPS and almost unthinkable not to run in a team game. It's also seems much more affordable to gear out of STI than to get away from OwE (both would be nice, but are there even 3 good monk passives?). I think I'll be keeping both anyway as I hope to hit 7000 armor and 1000 AR as long as it doesn't hurt my DPS too much.

I mainly play in MP8 as it seems the most effective for my current damage level. I do MP10 ubers now and then and it's pretty rare to take a death in either MP.

This is my fist post to these forums as a long time lurker, but another thing that bugs me is how a lot of people seem to equate eHP with survivability. I see many people making the same mistake over and over with bloated Vit pools and low damage reduction. This makes for a great eHP number as Vit is a much larger contributor when you have even mediocre reductions , but it's much harder to fill that big pool when your sustainability source does not scale at all with you total health.

I don't have the greatest of gear, although I do have a few nice pieces here and there, but I feel I'm on the right track and focusing on armor/rez is the most effective choice.
Reply Quote
check out my profile. under 4k armor, under 600 resist, under 600 loh and only one ls weapon handle mp10 without much of an issue (other than not having enough dps to burn them down as fast as other uber monks can)

gears does matter, but with the right skill sets it goes a long way. thanks to way of light blinding rune i can manage cc at the right time so that i'm not taking double damage.

Ill try ur build...
Reply Quote
Souligna.. check my character, i do MP10 with no problems.. 0 deaths
Reply Quote
In order to maximize damage reduction its best to try and keep a 10 to 1 ratio.

I sit at 803 AR and 7060 armor. My unbuffed damage reduction is 70.18. With buffs I've seen this go as high as 80% if I recall correctly.

It certainly isn't hard or difficult to maintain these numbers without gimping your dps but rather expensive.
Reply Quote

I sit at 803 AR and 7060 armor. My unbuffed damage reduction is 70.18. With buffs I've seen this go as high as 80% if I recall correctly.

It certainly isn't hard or difficult to maintain these numbers without gimping your dps but rather expensive.

Your setup, dps and build are pretty impressive, but I wonder if u had +ARMOR on all your gears you could get rid of your Shield and use 2 swords instead.
Reply Quote

Your setup, dps and build are pretty impressive, but I wonder if u had +ARMOR on all your gears you could get rid of your Shield and use 2 swords instead.

I have an ef for dual weld which is great for low mp's. High Mp's much more efficient with the shield. No kiting, facetank everything.
Reply Quote
I have to say, if you're going solo then yes you need to balance eHP and DPS. However, if your monk is purely a meat shield deigned only for maintaining agro and collecting mobs, my build is pretty damn fun in MP 8+

You do need friends with high dps though, solo anything would take hours. Have DH for that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]