Diablo® III

which path should i travel?

View profile
so, im about to build myself a WD but im unsure which way to go as far as weapon/gear choices.

if i go with manajuma knife, which offhand?

zuni?

ToTD?

uhkapian?

should i go skorn?

ive seen a lot of different set ups, im just trying to spend my gold wisely and im trying to get the most effective setup. ill probably only farm mp3-4 at most for xp and what not.
Reply Quote
Just a bit of advice, Play your WD to 60, don't have somone PL you to 60 you loose the learning of how it plays. By the time you get there you will have a good feel for how it plays and what kind of WD is your kind of WD.

WD unlike some of the other classes has a several different builds that work and work well. Don't get me wrong, we have LOTS and LOTS of issues we would all love to see fixed at some point but building your toon should be to taste not what other people think work well.

A lot of our builds are very gear dependent, and Most of our equipment is expensive to OMG i cant afford that, so knowing what you like is kinda key to how you want to plan your gear. Its not something you will want to do more then once if you know what i mean.

With PVP a lot of folks are running for WD thinking its one of the best PVP, but the better PVPing WD's are in really really high end WD gear, billions in todays crazy AH prices.. assuming you can even find compairable gear.
Edited by Jane#1803 on 1/25/2013 5:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 hander + mojo gives more options and potentially higher dps, but is the expensive route - Skorn with LS is completely viable, and some would argue it's better.

Mojo? I'd suggest getting 2 if the budget goes that far. Thing of the Deep for farming, String of Skulls for Key/Uber runs. SoS rolls some great numbers in the right places, and goes some way to completing the Zuni set without having to use the pretty average Zuni Helm. Zuni hat is a must though if using Skorn, and the Zuni set bonus is on your list (which it damn well should be.)

Here's one to annoy the masses. Manajuma's knife is junk. Easy way to get LS and higher CD numbers, but it's output, damage wise, is just average. Aim for a solid rare with good min-max rolls and black(non-elemental) damage. Life Steal is a must sooner or later, so grab now. Socket is a must. Crit Damage roll is golden, but pricey. Look for solid Int roll instead, but preferably both. Look at mine. Does more damage than most Manajumas worth 80m plus. Mine cost 14m. Maces and spears are generally the ones you want to watch on the AH, as their base damage can be very solid, which is what you want.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/25/2013 05:44 AMPosted by manvan
Here's one to annoy the masses. Manajuma's knife is junk.

I've looked for quite some time for 1 handed black dmg weapon that would out perform my MCK.... non have existed in the GAH for the past 3 months (the time that I have been looking). Of course a crit / os intel EF would give me more dps... but LS is a must for life sustain at upper MP levels. If you see one let me know :)
Reply Quote
1 hander + mojo gives more options and potentially higher dps, but is the expensive route - Skorn with LS is completely viable, and some would argue it's better.

Mojo? I'd suggest getting 2 if the budget goes that far. Thing of the Deep for farming, String of Skulls for Key/Uber runs. SoS rolls some great numbers in the right places, and goes some way to completing the Zuni set without having to use the pretty average Zuni Helm. Zuni hat is a must though if using Skorn, and the Zuni set bonus is on your list (which it damn well should be.)

Here's one to annoy the masses. Manajuma's knife is junk. Easy way to get LS and higher CD numbers, but it's output, damage wise, is just average. Aim for a solid rare with good min-max rolls and black(non-elemental) damage. Life Steal is a must sooner or later, so grab now. Socket is a must. Crit Damage roll is golden, but pricey. Look for solid Int roll instead, but preferably both. Look at mine. Does more damage than most Manajumas worth 80m plus. Mine cost 14m. Maces and spears are generally the ones you want to watch on the AH, as their base damage can be very solid, which is what you want.

+1.

There are real deals on the AH if you search for high average damage, open socket, lifesteal, and int. Specifically avoid the OS/CD combos as they are way overpriced. Most of those simpletons doing the overpriced selling don't realize that a few hundred int > 50% CD and it's 1/10 the cost.

Personally, I went the LS Skorn route. I don't have access to a ton of funds and like most people haven't really found what I'd consider a "godly" drop to sell, even with 500 hours played. Plus, bleed damage is nice in PvP :)
Reply Quote

I beg to differ one one point LS is not a must. Either LoH or LS will do depending on build, bears do not give LoH very well so most people stick to "LS is a must" but with a LoH supporting skill like Acid Rain or Rain of Frogs, even reflect damage is not going to kill you. As long as you're healing more then you are getting hurt you are golden.

I agree that Manajumas is not worth the price.

As i said previously, play your wd find your play style then plan your gear.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 06:08 AMPosted by ofgortens
Here's one to annoy the masses. Manajuma's knife is junk.

I've looked for quite some time for 1 handed black dmg weapon that would out perform my MCK.... non have existed in the GAH for the past 3 months (the time that I have been looking). Of course a crit / os intel EF would give me more dps... but LS is a must for life sustain at upper MP levels. If you see one let me know :)

bro, you've been here a while and offered some awesome advice.

Yet you roll Bears, yet think that big fat number on your Manaj means something? Sure, the LS is an absolute must-have. But there are literally hundreds of weapons on the AH at the moment which put your knife to shame.

WDs should be able to see a different window to other classes when comparing weapons. That little white number which says 300-1000 on Manajumas and 600-1400 on a good weapon needs to flash in neon colors.
Reply Quote

I beg to differ one one point LS is not a must. Either LoH or LS will do depending on build, bears do not give LoH very well so most people stick to "LS is a must" but with a LoH supporting skill like Acid Rain or Rain of Frogs, even reflect damage is not going to kill you. As long as you're healing more then you are getting hurt you are golden.

I agree that Manajumas is not worth the price.

As i said previously, play your wd find your play style then plan your gear.

Yeah, fair point.
Reply Quote
View profile
Yet you roll Bears, yet think that big fat number on your Manaj means something? Sure, the LS is an absolute must-have. But there are literally hundreds of weapons on the AH at the moment which put your knife to shame.

WDs should be able to see a different window to other classes when comparing weapons. That little white number which says 300-1000 on Manajumas and 600-1400 on a good weapon needs to flash in neon colors.

I hear ya. There have been some black mace's that I've thrown around with with experimenting the higher weapon dmg which is obviously beneficial for bear users. I guess my playstyle just doesn't synergize well with the weapons that I have tried. I am sure there are hundreds better weapons on AH than my MCK... depending on your style of play and gearset.

As for the OP, I am with manvan and Jane when saying there is not one correct answer for gear type with WDs. Even with a build that might look identical... there could be a lot of correct answers. The key is finding your style of play and what you enjoy doing instead of picking a top WD and trying to copy their gear.
Reply Quote
View profile
so, im about to build myself a WD but im unsure which way to go as far as weapon/gear choices.

if i go with manajuma knife, which offhand?

zuni?

ToTD?

uhkapian?

should i go skorn?

ive seen a lot of different set ups, im just trying to spend my gold wisely and im trying to get the most effective setup. ill probably only farm mp3-4 at most for xp and what not.

i'm gonna give you a very bad answer...all the items you have listed, i have one...or at least one of them but i'll give you my fav gear setup for casual farming:

For casual farming, i like using ToTD. It is guranteed 8% CC, +mana and +mana regen. The only downside is generally, the ToTD doesn't roll as high in the avg dmg so dps is generally lower. Also ToTD only goes as high as 8.5%CC, but that pickup radius is glorious. I also have 2 uhkapian's that I often swap out depending on build

For weap, i generally use a manajuma knife. If you're gonna get one, go for perfect 3% LS. THis is needed against reflect. I'm not sure what the reflect nerf to 1.0.7 will bring, but you want to max this stat if you can. ALso, you'll notice that higher CD knives (i.e., 75+CD) start to cost a premium and as you start to approach 1k dps, the knives start to get costly

I've also played around with a cheapo LS Skorn. The additional LS on the skorn does indeed make current farming at higher mp easier because you don't have to worry so much about reflect, but you lose a lot of mana and mana regen from your offhand.

As far as armor goes, i'd start picking up 4 piece Zuni set. Most people go with a zuni helm, chest, boots and ring. You want the additional mana regen bonus

as far as additional ring goes, a SOJ is probably a safe bet, but any rare with CC and CD is good. Other players in PvP are also considered "Elites" so they will take 30% more dmg too which is nice
Reply Quote
Regarding 1H vs. 2H, both directions are very viable with different pros/cons for each. The slower attack speed of 2H didn't bother me too much and I like seeing the big crits. I have no plans to change (unless I get a better Skorn at some point).

Big advantage of Skorn is that it can roll (up to) 6% LS or 2000k LoH.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]