Diablo® III

The AH ruined Diablo3?

View profile
I'm so tired of reading endless threads that the AH ruined Diablo3.

D2 was made/played on a different Internet. Today's internet is 1000x more connected with non-geeks constantly on forums, facebook, twitter, etc. People *will* be trading for gear endlessly in a way they never did in D2 - with or without the AH.

So much so that if Diablo 3 did not include an AH it would be a glaring deficiency. People would be screaming: "we are trading anyway - what kind of morons wouldn't build it into the game when it's already in your other games!"

The idea that we can go back to D2 days where you use what you find with minimal trading/sharing of gear is the #1 fallacy on these forums - I can't believe otherwise smart people buy i to it. Those days are gone sorry the AH is here to stay. You can surely choose not to use it but every successful game will have it.
Reply Quote
AH had nothing to do with it.

The problem comes down to WoW designers taking over for Blizzard North's departure.

You can chalk this failure up to two extremely critical moves. One, transitioning everyone to local employment and two, battle.net 2.0.

If the two above things didn't happen D3 would have been released at least 5 years ago and would have been the game we expected it to be. Those of us who played D2 anyways.
Reply Quote
D2 was made/played on a different Internet. Today's internet is 1000x more connected with non-geeks constantly on forums, facebook, twitter, etc.

LOLOLOL....what ???

Diablo 2 was made in the year 2001, not in the 70s or 80s.
Reply Quote
This game will be even worse with no AH. I mean, just log into one of those trade chats. You have people trying to sell junks for millions. Most people aren't forum warriors so they don't lurk all day for a bargain deal to show up. And if there is one then you can imagine the bidding wars. It makes the game even less appealing when you wasted hours and can only manage to do 60K dps since the drops are rng.

AH has somewhat saved the game. People can track progress of their chars based on the value of their gears. Easy access to upgrade their gears so they can kill monsters faster. No fear of getting scammed via trades. And many more benefits.

So for all of those that feel AH killed the game, you guys are a bunch of cry babies and hypocrite since chances are you use AH as well.
Reply Quote
No, the auction house allowed us to trade easier.

The Real money auction house allows people who do not have enough time to play the game like other people do, to be able to spend real money for items. It also allows us to make real money from the game we play so i believe the auction house is badass.

If there wasnt an RMAH, believe me people would buy items/gold from 3rd party sites so blizzard gave us a save way to do this.

Cheers!

-NeLLy
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/22/2013 6:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
One thing you forget is that we had social lobby rooms in D2 and could create our own games aswell.
Reply Quote
I, for one, and very thankful for the AH. Could you imagine the spam in the chat channels for everyone trying to sell their crap. No one is forcing anyone else to use the AH either, so I dont get why people freak out over it. I dont like BET, Telemundo, AMC, TMC, QVC and a crap load of other channels, but guess the f what, I DONT WATCH THEM!!!! Just pretend its not there and leave it for those that wish to use it.

FFS, i hate the attitude of, if I dont like it, then no one can like it and it must be removed.
Reply Quote
79 Human Warlock
The problem is the game being designed around the AH. Droprates and itemization are all designed to support the rmah.

D3 is lame for the same reason all P2W games are lame. You either pay or it takes forever to progress.

D3 is also a mediocre game even without all the P2W stuff which didn't help either.
Reply Quote
AH is best way to trade item with out getting scam...if there no ah we be see a lot situation like D2 how people are scam item real shako and fake shako...
I don't get why idiot people think complain about RMAH...if you think about it a lot people focus on their daily life and have jobs....which point they got no time to farm so they spend $ in order keep up with people who farm for 6-10hour a day...so it like they farming not in the game regularly...they just farm real life job and buy what ever they want...those who complain about just jealous they got no $ to spend...
Seriously farming like 6-10 hour a day could get millions of golds and 1 month like a billions easy...if you know how to play....
Edited by Zodiark#1635 on 1/22/2013 7:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
79 Human Warlock

I don't get why idiot people think complain about RMAH....

Because you are short sighted. It breaks the social contract with the player and sacrifices fun design to milk money out of idiots.
Reply Quote

D2 was made/played on a different Internet. Today's internet is 1000x more connected with non-geeks constantly on forums, facebook, twitter, etc. People *will* be trading for gear endlessly in a way they never did in D2 - with or without the AH.

So much so that if Diablo 3 did not include an AH it would be a glaring deficiency. People would be screaming: "we are trading anyway - what kind of morons wouldn't build it into the game when it's already in your other games!"

The idea that we can go back to D2 days where you use what you find with minimal trading/sharing of gear is the #1 fallacy on these forums - I can't believe otherwise smart people buy i to it. Those days are gone sorry the AH is here to stay. You can surely choose not to use it but every successful game will have it.

The problem is, Blizzard does not give you a choice... you can't simply make a public game anymore stating trades. Chat system is just utter s**t. The auction house for most is useless because unless you have 100's of millions of gold, everything you want to buy gets sniped from you.

At least with Diablo 2 you could create a public game stating what you were looking for and wait for people to bring what you need.

The sad part about Auction House is that it has become Diablo 3, people play the Auction House more than they play Diablo 3 lol.

If Blizzard was less focused on scooping money off EVERY trade, the game may have been a little better... but Blizzard has become so greedy they don't care if they produce utter s**t, as long as the cheddar keeps rolling in.

Thanks Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Because you are short sighted. It breaks the social contract with the player and sacrifices fun design to milk money out of idiots.

3 minutes ago

Really how so since you so smart..people who play for fun also wanted to make $ while play the game...and people who don't have time wanted spend $ to play the game....how that break the social contract....
Reply Quote
The problem is the game being designed around the AH. Droprates and itemization are all designed to support the rmah.

D3 is lame for the same reason all P2W games are lame. You either pay or it takes forever to progress.

D3 is also a mediocre game even without all the P2W stuff which didn't help either.

That's your assumption. This is not a console game like Final Fantasy or others where you always get a good gears when it drops.

But lets assume in your world, that all items dropped are good. Then where are you going to do with them? You can only equip so much. Trade? With whom? If you are getting good drops then everyone else do too. Eventually, you will reach a point where all good drops are the same and then what? Quit? You are a clever game designer with short-term expectation.

Itemization sucks, agreed. But it's necessary to prolong the game appeals. The game design will be the same with or without AH.
Reply Quote
Try TL2....play that 1-2 day where you get all good loot you want in the game....
That game similar to D3 system about fighting and farming but you just get all loot you want...even you can choose the stat you want to roll...then you see how fun is the game.
Edited by Zodiark#1635 on 1/22/2013 7:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
The AH becoming necessary to play ruined itemisation of Diablo 3. They wanted it as an anti-piracy measure as well, you physically can't progress in the game without the auction house.

The bad story, 3.5 levels of content, limited character builds, and console style controls ruined D3.
Reply Quote
I think honestly the RMAH ruined it more than the AH. The RMAH limited the amount of GOOD items being sold on the AH... because the good stuff was always traded over to the RMAH, which only cashshopers have access to. I find this quite unballanced and unnessasary...Rather greedy. I'm not one to say it doens't belong here and they should get rid of it or i wont play anymore, I just refuse to ever use it. I grind every coin i make and really enjoy doing it with my friends. I just wish the prices weren't so damned high because of how cheap gold is on the AH. Honestly though, we have a few things to contribute to that.

RMAH 1mil = 1usd, on release. So bots ALLLLLL over the world started botting money, selling it on other websites, this made it even harder to get it. So then some bots were like "Hey, we can make so much, lets take advantage of it in game" and started sellin it even lower and lower till suddenty, 1mil = 25 cents. It's crazy. Now everything in game for NORMAL players who don't swipe credit cards in their buttcrack to play, we have to go out of our way farming hard and for a long time just to make enough to SLIGHTLY upgrade our gears. Because of a little thing called inflation.

I honestly believe that if the RMAH didn't exist, or gold couldn't be sold on the RMAH, we wouldn't be in this predicament we are now.

But at the same time, I can argue, it's made legendaries a lot more affordable if you are farming for them in game, but at the same time, now when you get a ledgendary you're like "Dammit, not again...I'd rather have an extremely OP rare..." that isn't how a ledgendary drop should make you fell....

Wish they could bring back THAT luster, but it's gone. Now we have to deal with whats left, not that it's bad or anything, just needs work.

Over time I believe Diablo will get worse and get better with time. Hell, 7 years to make a baby, 21 to allow it to drink and live a wild life, right? ...Diablo doesn't drink? ...Oh. Hm. Well, you get what I'm saying.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 05:57 AMPosted by freakinjstu

Stop reading them.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 07:34 AMPosted by Dondorganes

Stop reading them.

^ This.
Reply Quote
While i understand the idea...and dont think its major cause. I do think it is the root cause behind why D3 is so weak.... typically the idea is sound you want a specific item..go to AH so you dont have to deal with the B.S right< But here's the end result...other thing like econonmy price gauging had to be taken into account so im sure RNG was born out that. RNG plain and simple was a bad idea. i think they shouldve taken this approach or atleast somehere alongthese lines:

1. The should 've had and AH where you can offer items as trades (gems, jewles, whatever) as well in additon to gold.
2. Legendaries should go back to thier original drop rate but in return the should 'all" be re-worked to were they are worth it. no random stats (same affixes with varing degrees of diffence - D2 stlye). i
If you grind it out you assured a decent item for your grind. Sure there can be the perfect item but the stats shouldnt be so far in between as to render you time/find worthless. That a critical game flaw.

in short legs should be really hard to get but then it drops you want to do a back flip out your chair in celebration

next a new item class...these shouldve been the new D3's team contribution to one-up the d2 items.. they can roll through RNG but being equally as awesome.
Edited by warbuckaz#1718 on 1/22/2013 11:31 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]