Diablo® III

This is how you fix crit damage.

The basic premise of capping crit in some way to encourage build diversity and tone down how out of hand crit damage and proccing has gotten is something I can support.

However, the proposed cap of basing maximum crit damage by the weapon damage would definitely cause problems; as Techies pointed out, damage disparities between runed versions of the same skill would definitely cause lower damage runes to become even less effective.

The naive fix to that problem would be to cap crit damage for all runed skills based on the
unruned version of the skill, but you'd still be left with cross-skill balancing issues.

Another possibility could be introducing a hidden stat, such as proc coefficients, that would cap crit damage bonuses for that skill. In theory, this might be easier to balance in the long run. However, I am also on basic principles opposed to hidden stats on skills, and am wary of such approaches to balance.

That would be somewhat redundant though, since crit chance has proc coefficients already.
Lets say you do 10k core damage and have 200% crit damage.

Skill number 1: Does 100% to one target (100coef) = 20k crit damage
Skill number 2: Does 25% to target (25 coef) = 5k crit damage to each target (x4) = 20k crit damage.

So in that aspect crit damage is already balanced. I'm not saying capping crit based on weapon damage would fix the problem immediately, because it won't. It would just give you a better base to balance the game from, you'll still need to re-adjust the numbers.

Lower weapon damage skills would be spammable and have lots of utility, benefit from crit chance etc.
The 145% of whirlwinds base for example might need to be buffed a little to 175%-200%.
Edited by Techies#1508 on 1/22/2013 11:36 AM PST
Reply Quote

You don't need either one of those. They may have the highest potential to be BiS weapons for several classes but they are not required. My Witch Doctor does not use either of them. My Wizard does not use either one of them.

I want to use a Dabio as a Monk or a Mighty Weapon as a Barb. Go ahead, tell me my options. I'll wait.
Reply Quote
You fix it my remove it from the game heh. Crit damage multiplier becomes fixed and only potentially modified my some skills.
Reply Quote
Your not here to try to change the game moron.Dont like it leave the game.Stop crying for change.You work for Obama?
Reply Quote
View profile
01/22/2013 11:34 AMPosted by SgtCreamSoda
So you don't think it's odd how you hit normally for 25K and crit for 5 million? Or how a single crit modifier stat adds increases an item's value by 1000% percent?

Many stats are more highly valued than others. Life on Kill is worthless compared to Life Steal or Life on Hit. All Resist on an item is more highly valued than Single Resist.

Critical Hit Damage is just another damage modifier, it is simply more effective than +DMG, +Elemental DMG, or ASI on a weapon. For this reason it has greater value. There are always going to be some stats that are inherently better than others, that provide a clear advantage.

The only "fix" for these stats is to improve or modify the under-valued stats to be more competitive, or to introduce different damage-modifying stats which would allow for more variety.

Capping Crit DMG only makes Crit DMG worse. It doesn't make any other stats better.
Reply Quote
no nerf, instead add other affixes such as + damage, + aps, + skill damage, + elemental damage ect so that a gloves with all of these stats are = or > that crit ias and cd.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 11:45 AMPosted by CoolHandLuke
So you don't think it's odd how you hit normally for 25K and crit for 5 million? Or how a single crit modifier stat adds increases an item's value by 1000% percent?

Many stats are more highly valued than others. Life on Kill is worthless compared to Life Steal or Life on Hit. All Resist on an item is more highly valued than Single Resist.

Critical Hit Damage is just another damage modifier, it is simply more effective than +DMG, +Elemental DMG, or ASI on a weapon. For this reason it has greater value. There are always going to be some stats that are inherently better than others, that provide a clear advantage.

The only "fix" for these stats is to improve or modify the under-valued stats to be more competitive, or to introduce different damage-modifying stats which would allow for more variety.

Capping Crit DMG only makes Crit DMG worse. It doesn't make any other stats better.

This is what I want to see happen. But if they did add this, no one would use it because crits would still dominate.
Reply Quote
I play this game to lay waste to demons and find upgrades. Only one of those things is broken IMO.
Reply Quote

You don't need either one of those. They may have the highest potential to be BiS weapons for several classes but they are not required. My Witch Doctor does not use either of them. My Wizard does not use either one of them.

I want to use a Dabio as a Monk or a Mighty Weapon as a Barb. Go ahead, tell me my options. I'll wait.

Daibos are complete fail. As are all 2 Handers not named Skorn. That is not a problem indicative with just crit damage. That is a complete itemization fail with 2 Handers.

Mighty Weapons - there is that Warrior Blood set. Can roll really really nice. Also you can find Rare 1 Hander Mighty Weapons.

Those may not be BiS but really are very useable.
Reply Quote

Daibos are complete fail. As are all 2 Handers not named Skorn. That is not a problem indicative with just crit damage. That is a complete itemization fail with 2 Handers.

Mighty Weapons - there is that Warrior Blood set. Can roll really really nice. Also you can find Rare 1 Hander Mighty Weapons.

Those may not be BiS but really are very useable.

Daibos and all other 2handers in general are fail because THEY CANT ROLL AS HIGH CRIT AS SKORN CAN. That's the ONLY reason.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 12:03 PMPosted by SgtCreamSoda
Daibos and all other 2handers in general are fail because THEY CANT ROLL AS HIGH CRIT AS SKORN CAN. That's the ONLY reason.

Yes, you are right. But is that a problem with CHD or Itemization in general? Does that reason justify a nerf to CHD or a buff/addition of others things that go into Itemization?
Reply Quote

Yes, you are right. But is that a problem with CHD or Itemization in general? Does that reason justify a nerf to CHD or a buff/addition of others things that go into Itemization?

What could they do to make people not want to stack crits as they currently stand? I'm pretty sure no one is gonna pick better proc coefficients or piercing blows or whatever over critting for 7 digits.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 12:08 PMPosted by SgtCreamSoda
What could they do to make people not want to stack crits as they currently stand? I'm pretty sure no one is gonna pick better proc coefficients or piercing blows or whatever over critting for 7 digits

That is a problem Blizzard needs to solve. They make the decisions and what gets changed in the game. Not us. I am not getting paid as a program designer. Changes need to be made, I agree, but it is not up to me. I don't think CHD/CC nerfs is the correct direction.
Reply Quote
Fix crit damage? Easy! Unerf Inferno damage so players have a reason to worry about something more than stacking DPS on top of DPS...
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 11:47 AMPosted by PmP
no nerf, instead add other affixes such as + damage, + aps, + skill damage, + elemental damage ect so that a gloves with all of these stats are = or > that crit ias and cd.

That will only benefit Critical damage more, it start increasing exponentially the more aps and damage you add to it. Need affixes that can compete a little with it, that's completely independent of it.
Reply Quote
I wasn't aware that crit damage was broken?

lord i HOPE POE isnt filled with you whining babies and i hope it doesnt have devs that listen to idiots like yall....so many idiots whining about crit now i can see a nerf in the future costing me and alot of other hard working players alot of gold time and in some cases RL money.... hope blizz likes the chargeback wave its gonna get hit with and another mass exodus of players leaving the game
Edited by Baaalzamon#1751 on 1/22/2013 10:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079707996

Lylirra
2) So, when are you going to nerf Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage affixes?

We've no plans to nerf +Crit Chance or +Crit Damage. While +Crit Chance and +Crit Damage are very strong right now, there's nothing inherently wrong with something being strong. As mentioned above, players doing too much damage is not enough reason for us to bring out the nerf bat. Neither affix is having a negative impact on build diversity (we're seeing a pretty good balance overall), and there aren't any technical issues with them being stacked to higher values. It's something we're keeping an eye on of course.
Reply Quote
I wasn't aware that crit damage was broken?

isn't it odd that you must resort to lies?

the top max possible crit from diabloprogress is 800% on a barb that gimp their stats on ias/cc just to use a travellers pledge/compass rose ring and a 50% cdmg passive

the normal reasonable max crit dmg % on dual wielders is just 700%
the normal reasonable max crit dmg % on a 1hand + offhand is just 500%

25k x 800% = 200,000

isn't it odd when a piece of gear has all the good affixes it is naturally more expensive?
trifecta = expensive
bifecta = not expensive. and has nothing to do with crit
ias + cc = cheap
ias+ cdmg = cheap
cc + cdmg = cheap
ias + cc + cdmg = expensive

on weapons
os + cdmg + high dps = CHEAP
os+ cdmg + high dps + loh = not cheap
os + cdmg + high dps + loh + ls = expensive

one can make the same retarded logic that lifesteal causes gear to be expensive when in actual fact its because that piece of gear has 6 good affixes on it.

---
really, posting threads such as this only highlight how noob you are.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/22/2013 11:03 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]