Diablo® III

So who is excited about the "Ask the Devs" Topic?

On the date and time specified in this post, we'll unlock the thread and you'll be able to submit your questions regarding patch 1.0.7.

I'd *love* to know if there were plans to address the itemization issues as well,but as the quote above says,this Q&A will *ONLY* be about the 1.07 patch,which I take to mean only about the changes mentioned in the patch notes.

So many questions we'd like to ask,but if it's only limited to specifics about what they've already announced for the patch,it won't answer many of the hundreds of suggestions/questions already unaddressed by the devs and CM's.
I also get the impression that this means the patch won't be live for quite a while,if they're asking for input other than they've already gotten on the PTR ( and the thousands on the forums) ,but who knows,maybe they'll actually listen to some of the great suggestions made and decide to dealy it further to include some..but color me skeptical!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
1.0.7. I wonder if questions should only pertain to this patch.

They should, yes (I highly recommend reading the rules listed here)!

The reason we're asking players to focus their questions on a specific topic is that it helps the Q&A run much more smoothly. While it might mean we receive LESS questions, the questions that we do receive tend be of a higher caliber and have much more depth (which in turn allows us to provide responses that are more meaningful and meaty). Additionally, it makes the Q&A super cohesive since the questions all relate to one another in a very specific way.

01/24/2013 04:29 PMPosted by WarHogg
So many questions we'd like to ask,but if it's only limited to specifics about what they've already announced for the patch,it won't answer many of the hundreds of suggestions/questions already unaddressed by the devs and CM's.

We choose 1.0.7 as the topic because it's very timely. Not only is the patch on the PTR right now, but we've also been seeing a lot of questions from players NOT participating in the public test about the content in 1.0.7 -- everything from why a certain change was made (and what the philosophy was behind it) to how a specific feature is intended to work to whether or not we've considered the long-term effects of a specific update.

We'll be having Q&As about a variety of different topics in the future (and, yup, itemization is one of them). :)
Reply Quote
Well said Lylirra. Its pretty cool of you guys to add another chance for us to interact with the big dogs!
Reply Quote
I've got a real good, real meaty question:

What is your favorite ICE CREAM!!?!

I MUST KNOW!!!

But seriously, look back at the Reddit AMAA. That wen't pretty well, a lot of the answers were fairly long too and very in-depth, at least from Wyatt, especially after getting hounded by one question asker.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 1/24/2013 5:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have one question... Only one. Why did it take them tell patch 1.0.7 to add this PVP that could have been released on day one , to the arena pvp didn't work?? It was working in alpha build sense oh blizzcon?
Reply Quote
View profile
01/24/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Lylirra

They should, yes (I highly recommend reading the rules listed [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398"]here[/url])!

The reason we're asking players to focus their questions on a specific topic is that it helps the Q&A run much more smoothly. While it might mean we receive LESS questions, the questions that we do receive tend be of a higher caliber and have much more depth (which in turn allows us to provide responses that are more meaningful and meaty). Additionally, it makes the Q&A super cohesive since the questions all relate to one another in a very specific way.

We choose 1.0.7 as the topic because it's very timely. Not only is the patch on the PTR right now, but we've also been seeing a lot of questions from players NOT participating in the public test about the content in 1.0.7 -- everything from why a certain change was made (and what the philosophy was behind it) to how a specific feature is intended to work to whether or not we've considered the long-term effects of a specific update.

We'll be having Q&As about a variety of different topics in the future (and, yup, itemization is one of them). :)

Would a question like this be acceptable "Now that NV stacks persist through acts, is there any way for us to choose which quest we want to begin the next act"?
Reply Quote
View profile
Edited by ChuckNorris#1885 on 1/24/2013 5:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/24/2013 05:03 PMPosted by Ignatius
But seriously, look back at the Reddit AMAA. That wen't pretty well, a lot of the answers were fairly long too and very in-depth, at least from Wyatt, especially after getting hounded by one question asker.

Yup, and we'd like to do more of those kinds of Q&As in the future (i.e. more open-ended and held in real-time).

For this particular series, though, we want to have a topic not only for the reasons I listed above, but also because it works better with the format. We're going to be collecting the top questions from each of our regions, translating them into English, getting the developers to provide responses, translating those responses back into the other 10 languages we support, organizing everything in a readable layout, and then publishing the information globally at the same time -- all within a week. Open-ended Q&As tend to work better in real-time and when they're being conducted in only one language; the scope would just be too large for the Ask the Devs, especially if we're looking to provide responses quickly.
Reply Quote
Hmmm. While I applaud Blizzard's attempts to re-connect with the community, I feel that this format is really only allowing a place to ask PR-friendly questions. I don't want to be instantly negative, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't come across as kind of half-hearted.

It comes across as:
"We want the community to ask anything they want!... as long as it's not about what we're doing, why we're doing it, what we plan to be doing in the future, and is confined to these strict topics, presented in this way and in this place."

The community has been posting literally hundreds of threads begging for answers on virtually every topic, ranging from the negative "Where is Jay Wilson? What is he doing? Is he ruining another franchise?!" to the more positive "Who is taking over Diablo III's development, and how are they looking to redeem Diablo moving forward?"
Reply Quote
Are they going to allow us to switch between acts freely?

Great question. It would be awesome to carry stacks with you from Act to act...especially when Key farming! Think about the efficiency! I drool thinking about changes like that!

5 stacks...stonefort...fields...oasis. Woot!!

i think thats in patch 1.0.7 preview. go test on the PTR
Edited by Bunchies#2581 on 1/24/2013 5:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
I dunno, we did this 3 years ago, we did this 2 years ago, we did this 1 year ago...They never answer the real questions and always give general answers. "We want it to be fun" "we are looking at that" "We're sure..." "We haven't finalize *that* yet..."

I take that back, they sometimes answer the questions, but ignore any user feedback on the subjects. "we want the game to be more Gothic and dark" Okay how about a Pony level? "we want to be able to move freely between acts and quests" Okay how about a very strictly limited Way Point system. "We want drops to have the possibility to be useful" Okay how about we take the RNG and Double it? "we want more gem diversity" Okay we made new gem tiers which are so expensive most won't be able to make one anytime soon. "we don't want Bind on Account items in a item hunting game" "we want crafting to be worthwhile and a bit less random" Okay we added some recipes which are BoA.

The list goes on and on and on.

I think the only real question I would ask is not even a question, more of a statement. STOP TELLING ME WHAT IS FUN and listen to what we are telling you would be fun. Do you even play the game anymore?
Edited by Dinkster9#1538 on 1/24/2013 5:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Lylirra

They should, yes (I highly recommend reading the rules listed [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7710222398"]here[/url])!

even when you type it sounds sexy. xD
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/24/2013 05:21 PMPosted by ZehDon
While I applaud Blizzard's attempts to re-connect with the community, I feel that this format is really only allowing a place to ask PR-friendly questions.

We're not asking for "PR-friendly" questions. In fact, we encourage critical inquiries that are detailed and provocative.

What we are asking for are questions that actually can be answered by our developers. They're not going to be able to share release dates or necessarily confirm upcoming projects, but they can provide insight into design choices, acknowledge awareness of certain issues and concerns, as well as discuss (in a more broad sense) their direction for the game.

Because of that, it's probably a good idea to avoid asking things like "WHY DOES DUELING SUCK?" or "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO RELEASE LADDERS?" and instead opt for something more along the lines of "I'm not a big fan of the way dueling is being implemented in 1.0.7. Are there any plans for a reward system in the future? " or "I loved ladders in D2 and feel like they'd be a great addition to D3. Would you consider adding a similar system in D3, potentially in the form of D2-style ladders?" (Though, admittedly, the latter question isn't great for the first round of questions since it's not really related to 1.0.7.)
Edited by Lylirra on 1/24/2013 7:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
There is hope, I am excited about it.

Will you make sure the forums in all regions are informed of this?

Let's all be good and make good use of this unique opportunity. I will not troll. I hope Q&A's like this would occur more often.

I do suggest if answers from different people are similar, just accumulate those votes together, it'd make sense to do so.

Actually I'd like to vote now, I vote for Lylirra!
>3
You are amazing, regardless.
Reply Quote
10:00am PDT translate to 13:00 here, thus I'll be at work.

Not sure I will have time to get home and ask a question before it's locked because full. It looks like it's allowed to post more than one question so maybe it will fill up fast. Would have been great to limit to one question, forcing everyone to focus on their best and more serious question. But since it's done in a forum, home made, it's likely hard to do, monitoring all this.

Will try to cheat on break time to come ask my question.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]