Diablo® III

For an Archon build

What setup is best for prolonged Archon ability? I assume take the Archon Rune that reduces cooldown but what else? Do you take Critical Mass and hope for Crits?
Reply Quote
Kill more stuff and kill it faster.

Start by increasing your dps (green gem in your weapon for instance).
Reply Quote
TP rune is usually better since it lets you shortcut around some obstacles and decrease the time between packs. For sustained archon (assuming you have high enough dps to instamelt trash mobs, and enough survival to only die in very unlucky situations), use CM, Galv Ward (your archon will last so long that the armor buffs will wear off first), and GC passives and 1. Mistral Breeze, or Forked Lightning, or Living Lightning, or Disintegrate. I prefer Forked Lightning, but if I had APoC on my trium, I might try Breeze or Disintegrate. 2. Diamond Skin or Teleport/Wormhole. 3. Magic Weapon. 4. Sparkflint. 5. Storm Armor/Scramble. This one takes practice to use effectively, but greatly increases your speed if used right. And, of course, 6. Archon/Teleport.

If you don't have the dps/survival to sustain archon or are playing in a group, then the Hybrid Archon build is better because it focuses on getting cooldowns ASAP, surviving out of archon, and doing good burst dmg in archon.

Check out the Sustained and Hybrid Archon guides in the build compendium (stickied thread). I use both builds and can attest to how good they are.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004698743

I feel that this is the best build for Archon hands down.
Reply Quote
TP rune is usually better since it lets you shortcut around some obstacles and decrease the time between packs. For sustained archon (assuming you have high enough dps to instamelt trash mobs, and enough survival to only die in very unlucky situations), use CM, Galv Ward (your archon will last so long that the armor buffs will wear off first), and GC passives and 1. Mistral Breeze, or Forked Lightning, or Living Lightning, or Disintegrate. I prefer Forked Lightning, but if I had APoC on my trium, I might try Breeze or Disintegrate. 2. Diamond Skin or Teleport/Wormhole. 3. Magic Weapon. 4. Sparkflint. 5. Storm Armor/Scramble. This one takes practice to use effectively, but greatly increases your speed if used right. And, of course, 6. Archon/Teleport.

I've tried Mistral Breeze and absolutely hated it. I greatly prefer WW because it's much easier to put it where I want. Plus I can use Frost Nova for my extra skill and freeze mobs on top of the WW. I just swap to 2 APoC pieces if my Archon CD has more than 10-20s til it refreshes and it works pretty well. Also, a high crit% Storm Crow is a decent dps piece for Archon, plus the APoC is good for WW spamage out of archon.

Illusionist is also a great option for passive if you have problems killing elites fast enough or if you're running higher MP than you should. Teleport is great for survival in addition to speeding up runs and illusionist against elites procs a lot. In terms of efficiency, you shouldn't need it if you're running low MP because you should kill elites in 5-10 seconds.
Reply Quote
I agree about MB. I used it once and, while it did ok for resetting the cooldown, the random movement was quite annoying. The problem with WW is that most archons - especially lower budget ones - would rather have the cheap dps from andy's or the dps/ehp from Mempo (if they can afford one). And getting a high end black wand with socket or CD + lifesteal is hard enough without trying to add on APoC. So Trium is likely the only piece where APoC is both affordable and not a big tradeoff for dps/ehp.

For sustained archon, it isn't an issue. Most of the time, by the time you've run out of archon, your cooldown has long been reset, and, for the few occasions where you have to spend any time out of archon, forked lightning is a solid compromise between aoe and spot dps, at least for the MP where sustained archon is optimal, anyway. And for higher MP, I've been using LL with hybrid archon and found that it works quite well (plus its hilarious against the a2 kw). The dps is a joke, but using shards instead of crystal shell helps with that.

I really want to try WW in a hybrid archon uber fight, tho. Having such huge targets should hopefully make WW viable, even with just 10 APoC.

Edit: I really wish they'd give us an APoC passive or set bonus. It would open up so many build options that aren't accessible to the average Joe.
Edited by ATGOWTWT#1159 on 1/24/2013 1:02 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]