Diablo® III

Understanding why Jay Wilson is frowned upon.

(Locked)

A lot of the things you said are spot on.

+1
@TwoCoins, is this what inspired your thread?

Posted by Rob PardoIf you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result

Posted by Rob PardoThis thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

@TwoCoins, these replies are from "Seven years in sanctuary" thread which was made by jay wilson, if this is the reason why you made your thread then its a good reply, because i guess not everybody knows why his so frowned upon.
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/20/2013 2:06 AM PST
While it does not justify any design decisions some of his statements are factually correct. Especially the D2 players not remembering actual D2 play before blizz gave up on bots and rune duping gear was extremely hard for the vast majority of players to come by. This once again does not justify foolish or very niave desicions made by the design team. But not liking things does not make them false.

I don't like comments like this. If botters, cheaters and dupers hadn't existed, Blizzard could have adjusted drop rates and qualities accordingly and we could have legitimately found our own gears given enough time dedicated into looking or trading for it. But because of botters, cheaters and dupers, Blizzard had to spend time and energy trying to prevent such nonsense, track it down, fix it and in the meantime they had to lower drop rates and quality to prevent the game from becoming zero challenge, zero fun and 100% bot-ran (which it still seemed to be at times anyway). Bots and other such cheating made players lazy and less social and more undeservedly self-entitled feeling...

If it weren't for bots and 3rd party salesmen, we would have been forced to work together more in guilds or with our friends or search longer on our own. This would have vastly improved social interactions and depth/challenge of the game. The fact that every iteration of Diablo has had some form of cheating and that now Diablo 3 even has Blizzard-endorsed cheating in the form of the AH is very sad. No one should ever say anything that even implies that botting, cheating, duping etc has done anything positive for this game because it hasn't...it's ruined Diablo..
Edited by Philoi#1655 on 1/20/2013 1:57 AM PST
Rob Pardo's a sly ole porker alright.
01/19/2013 01:46 PMPosted by TwoCoins
Jay Wilson: "Yeah, one of the lessons that we learned in development was people’s memories of Diablo II were way different than the reality of Diablo II. They remember all kinds of stuff that never actually happened in that game."

This sort of comment from Jay isn't just arrogant, it's ignorant:

Wikipedia: "The Diablo Battle Chest was the 19th best selling PC game of 2008[47] – a full seven years after the game's initial release – and 11 million users still play Diablo II and StarCraft over Battle.net.[48]"

People's memories of D2 weren't hazy nostalgia; they were recent, and Jay really should have listened.

47. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_II#cite_note-ign_bestsell_2008-47
48. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_II#cite_note-gspot_starcraft2-48
Ya my blood was boiling just reading that post. I was feeling bad for Jay, but he really brought this upon himself. I would probably still feel sorry for him if you didn't remind me of the "F that Loser" fiasco. And ya man, Itemization, Map Generation, Story, No Public Games Lobby... those are the worst points in the game. It is just a shame that the story probably isn't repairable, or at least, it wouldn't ever be attempted.
01/20/2013 01:34 AMPosted by NeLLy
you madd? i replied the truth?

Nelly, why are you always trollin'? Maybe you've made constructive remarks in the past, but not always and definitely not in this case. The original poster posted facts. Sure they were from his perspective and the post as a whole was his opinion. But you cannot deny the facts.

I could clarify though that in defense to Jay Wilson, Brevik had said some pretty rude things himself. This doesn't excuse Jay, but it explains a lot. Anyway, Jay failed to make professional or good design decisions, the gaming community as a whole resents Jay for this. I personally wish him all the best in his future endeavors. But at the same time, I find it odd that he's leaving this game just when it needs the most guidance. That's not responsible, not unless Jay knows for a fact that Blizzard has a superior replacement.

But then maybe this move wasn't really Jay's choice or his fault at all. Maybe this is a calculated move by Blizzard to win back some of the fan base. In my opinion though, this is too little too late. While in a lot of ways I'm happy to see Jay off of Diablo, another part of me wishes that he had stayed on and righted the wrongs that he had committed.
you madd? i replied the truth?

Nelly, why are you always trollin'? Maybe you've made constructive remarks in the past, but not always and definitely not in this case. The original poster posted facts. Sure they were from his perspective and the post as a whole was his opinion. But you cannot deny the facts.

I could clarify though that in defense to Jay Wilson, Brevik had said some pretty rude things himself. This doesn't excuse Jay, but it explains a lot. Anyway, Jay failed to make professional or good design decisions, the gaming community as a whole resents Jay for this. I personally wish him all the best in his future endeavors. But at the same time, I find it odd that he's leaving this game just when it needs the most guidance. That's not responsible, not unless Jay knows for a fact that Blizzard has a superior replacement.

But then maybe this move wasn't really Jay's choice or his fault at all. Maybe this is a calculated move by Blizzard to win back some of the fan base. In my opinion though, this is too little too late. While in a lot of ways I'm happy to see Jay off of Diablo, another part of me wishes that he had stayed on and righted the wrongs that he had committed.

I dont troll or spam anything, if your gonna quote my post then quote everything i said in my statement.

I said that this thread will lead to harassment in the end. Most of us know what happend, its old news now. Drop the subject and move on already.. Jay quit his old news now. Focus on blizzard hiring somebody who will fix his mistakes instead of continueing to point out jay's mistakes, everybody makes mistakes no one is perfect and still he didnt do anything to any of us personally.

Here is evidance of me speaking truth!

F that porker J
He's the real loser

am i trolling now? Obvious harassment inspired by this thread which will continue to inspire more negative replies. I personally dont like Jay either and am happy that his being replaced.. (Look towards future, ferget the past) thats all im done with this thread.

-NeLLy
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/20/2013 2:27 AM PST
Diablo 1 diablo 2 and diablo 2 LOD won too many awards to count. Diablo 3 just won biggest disappointment and a sound award. Now the lead Dev. is being moved in the company. I think whatever Jay is doing in the future for Blizzard will be nice and quiet from behind the scenes.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]