Diablo® III

RA vs Armor

Try to find out which one better give me more defensive value
30 RA or +180 armor?!
Any conversation formula to calculate out?!
Thanks
Reply Quote
i highly recommend uploading ur profile into a site like d3up.com
itll tell u exactly how much ehp u gain from 1 pt of armor vs 1 pt of ar
Reply Quote
At this point, you need more armor if you are trying to pick one or the other.
Reply Quote
Most players drastically undervalue armor; there is a 10:1 conversion value IF the toon is balanced. Most aren't, however, and their true value is usually between 5 and 7 armor points per all resist. Given your profile, I'd say the armor is marginally more valuable.
Reply Quote
Try to find out which one better give me more defensive value
30 RA or +180 armor?!
Any conversation formula to calculate out?!
Thanks

Use d3up.com to see which is better for your toon. Contrary to what some say it is not a 10/1 ratio. For instance on my profile 1 armor gives me 90 EHP while 1 AR or 1 Vit gives my toon 550+ EHP. As far as I can tell stacking armor/strength on my toon which only has 3400 armor (some say its too low) ATM will provide little to no benefit to my EHP. I will continue to stack AR and VIT until they no longer provde greater ehp as compared to armor/strength. D3UP is really the best way to check out what you need as there is a lot of misinformation on the forums about the best way to increase your EHP.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 04:43 PMPosted by ulostface
As far as I can tell stacking armor/strength on my toon which only has 3400 armor (some say its too low) ATM will provide little to no benefit to my EHP.

That's not even not right--its the exact opposite of true.
Reply Quote
180 armor = 18 AR; 100 INT = 10 AR
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 04:51 PMPosted by DethAxe
180 armor = 18 AR; 100 INT = 10 AR

Again, only if the armor/AR mix is optimized. Our armor-avoiding poster above, for example, should be valuing armor at 6 Armor = 1 AR.
Edited by Ossian#1946 on 1/21/2013 4:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 04:48 PMPosted by Ossian
As far as I can tell stacking armor/strength on my toon which only has 3400 armor (some say its too low) ATM will provide little to no benefit to my EHP.

That's not even not right--its the exact opposite of true.

Go check my profile on D3up. Then check yours. If you want to continue stacking armor please by all means do so but if you can't see it does less for your ehp ATM then Vit or AR then I don't know what to say.
Reply Quote
I made a table for JUST this question.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y358/kindlin/Relativearmor-resistvalues_zps64ddb9f8.png

You have 468 AR and 3778 armor. Checking the table, that gives a value of about 8.94. That means that at your current level, 1 All Resistance is equal to 8.94 armor.

180 armor / 8.94 AR/Ar = 20.13 All Resistance

Because 30 AR > is 20.13, you should take the AR. The armor would have be 30*8.94=268.2 or greater to be more worth it.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 04:43 PMPosted by ulostface
Use d3up.com to see which is better for your toon. Contrary to what some say it is not a 10/1 ratio. For instance on my profile 1 armor gives me 90 EHP while 1 AR or 1 Vit gives my toon 550+ EHP. As far as I can tell stacking armor/strength on my toon which only has 3400 armor (some say its too low) ATM will provide little to no benefit to my EHP. I will continue to stack AR and VIT until they no longer provde greater ehp as compared to armor/strength. D3UP is really the best way to check out what you need as there is a lot of misinformation on the forums about the best way to increase your EHP.

Well, it takes 10x the armor, in general, to equal one resistance, so the fact that a SINGLE point of armor gives 90 EHP while AR only gives 550, should indicate your doing something wrong. With your numbers, 550/90=6.11, so if a piece had 60 more AR and another had 400 more armor, the armor would be better.
Reply Quote
for CM, Vit/HP is not correlated with true EHP because of the way Shell works
Reply Quote
Thanks bro SteelPhantom, Ulostface, Kindlin, Oassian, yadatoy, dethaxe for all the helps!
Finally upload my characters into d3up..

Turn out I am at 1RA =6.9 Armor ratio!
My EHP is very pathetic at 281k!! What will be consider enough?

I have very tight budget at 70m and I want to improve one piece of gear.
Should I buy Lac bracers with CC3.5 and RA70,
Or Rings with RA70, IAS9, Cc6?
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Kindlin

Well, it takes 10x the armor, in general, to equal one resistance, so the fact that a SINGLE point of armor gives 90 EHP while AR only gives 550, should indicate your doing something wrong. With your numbers, 550/90=6.11, so if a piece had 60 more AR and another had 400 more armor, the armor would be better.

I wasn't aware that there was +400 armor on gear so yah I must be doing it wrong. So if your math is right then I should only be adding armor if its +400 because it offers less EHP then 60 AR. My mind is blown right now. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 05:15 PMPosted by Comrade
It's still useful though because many times when you die it's because you lost freeze lock on your target and your cooldowns are therefore not resetting and you can't cast shell.
Reply Quote
the 1st 30k hp is useful, then the 30-40 is a luxury.

If you are increasing EHP by going for Hp above 40k you are not getting the benefit of EHP for CM and wont see significant increased performance.

High mitigation lower EHP has better performance then High EHP because of high HP but lower mitigation.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 05:44 PMPosted by JackStraw
It's still useful though because many times when you die it's because you lost freeze lock on your target and your cooldowns are therefore not resetting and you can't cast shell.

True. But there's also LoH to consider. Med HP with high defense means mobs will be whittling slowly at your health - which is easily replenished by LoH proccing from your skills until DS kicks in again. High Hp with med defense results to a bloated EHP - you can absorb higher amounts of damage, but mobs will be hitting you much harder and your LoH might not be sufficient to replenish it fast enough before DS activates
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 05:42 PMPosted by ulostface
I wasn't aware that there was +400 armor on gear so yah I must be doing it wrong. So if your math is right then I should only be adding armor if its +400 because it offers less EHP then 60 AR. My mind is blown right now. Thanks for the heads up.

You're right that gear doesn't get +400, combine +300 with a higher base armor, +400 (total) over a current piece is not hard to fathom. I'd say that a piece with 60 AR will almost always beat +armor gear, but remember that people value +AR very highly (that +60 AR will add a LOT to the cost of that piece of gear) while they value armor at nearly nothing, so dropping the AR in favor of armor could get you a LOT of EHP without octupling the cost.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 06:11 PMPosted by Comrade
the 1st 30k hp is useful, then the 30-40 is a luxury.

I couldn't survive with only 30k health... How do you guys handle the higher MP levels without getting killed all the time?
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 05:42 PMPosted by ulostface

Do you really not understand the simple math at work here?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]