Diablo® III

Ideas for Additional Content to Extend Gameplay

Would it be possible to add more content for players to explore?

I have a few ideas which would be easy enough to program and could extend the life of this game immensely:

First, could we have a massive 'randomized' dungeon to explore (similar to a Diablo 1 throwback)? 666 floors where the level appearance changes every 30 floors and have monster difficulty and/or mob size and elite/champion occurrence increase as you descend deeper into the Abyss. Maybe have an 'Uber" battle every 100 floors and an epic battle at floor 666. Each of these areas could be themed and stocked with specific enemies to reflect the theme of each range of floors. There could be waypoints every so many floors (maybe 15 or 30) to track your progress. These waypoints could be used to resume a previous game to avoid resetting to floor 1 each gaming session. This could all be added as an additional 'bonus act' beyond the four we have to choose from and would provide a great alternative to those of us who love a good dungeon crawl experience.

Second, could we have a survival type challenge? Maybe a secret portal to an arena where we would have to battle 100 waves or more of increasingly difficult enemy mobs (with elites spawning at the end of each wave 1-4/6-9/11-14/16-19 and a champion that spawns every 5 waves). There could be multiple arenas to choose from before entering (each with it's own variety of denizens) to add some variety. Have a 10 or 15 second break between waves for town portals to sell/repair/RR break. Maybe even have a handful of goblins simultaneously spawning every 25 levels (sort of a throwback to the original Golden Axe camp event) to give bonus items for those who can weather the storm.

Please, farming the same acts endlessly is creating stagnancy in the game and some good PvE alternatives would greatly enhance the gaming experience for all players.

Thank You,

Please thumbs up if you like these ideas and feel free to add more ideas of your own ... let's get some more content for the PvE players.
Edited by MadMyke#1785 on 1/22/2013 7:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
Agreed 1000%. People can talk about RMAH, account-bound items, or lack of skill/stat points all they want. IMO, biggest thing holding the game back right now is simple:

- Lack of REPLAYABLE content

There just simply needs to be more stuff to do. Alternative game modes like what you suggest would GREATLY expand the replayability of the game. Hellfire rings and ubers were a step in the right direction, but more action is necessary. Unique game modes can also help foster more unique skill builds, which in turn helps the itemization problem that many others have touched on. We are already starting to see this just by simply adding PVP dueling into the game. People are exploring new skill/item builds to suit this alternative game mode.

Beyond what you’ve suggested, another MAJOR(IMO) way to expand the replayability of this game is to empower the users with some kind of level editor. This obviously wouldn't be a small feat to implement, but gamers have shown themselves time and time again to be an incredibly creative force. One of the major reasons that people still play the older Blizzard games is due to the fact that a map editor exists, and fresh content is continually being churned out by the userbase. I’m sure there would be lots of hurdles to jump through regarding how gold/item drops could fit into this concept, but I definitely think the ends justify the means.

It’s obvious that there are a lot of question marks about which direction Blizzard is taking this game. A lot of people seem to think that an overhaul is in order, and I would tend to agree. If you’re listening Blizzard, adding replayable content is where this gamer of 20+ years thinks you should be focusing your development time.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply ... I am also a gamer of 20+ years and I still remember playing Diablo 1 as a teenager. It was an awesome experience with tons of replay value.

That would be great if they could find a way to implement a user-created system even if it doesn't add gold/items/xp ... at least it would be something besides acts 1-4 to play.

I would also like to see some new affixes for elites/champions, including a crit immunity affix (and all undead should automatically be crit immune as they have no vital organs), a resource draining affix would be an interesting affix to see how people deal with it, and something similar to the wizard's storm armor to increase the relevance of lightning resist for ranged characters.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 07:41 AMPosted by MadMyke
could we have a massive 'randomized' dungeon to explore

Agreed.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6037123847
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708951580
Reply Quote
I had once upon a time thought up a system where Blizzard gives us a level editor, and lets us choose from the enemies to place throughout our levels. Loot and gold and xp could be managed by limiting the number of monsters that could be placed, and making limits on how close they could be made, to prevent us from making a room with 500000 monsters.

Then, once we've made our level, using the in game crafting system we can create portal machines to let players access these extra realms. Then the machines could in turn be sold on the auction house, or just given out freely.

Custom content, adds value to crafting materials, and creates a potential desirable consumable market for the auction house.
Reply Quote
I like the idea you have of the endless dungeon, but it would be nice for more casual gamers to be able to stop every so often and resume from the last checkpoint/waypoint, just like moving onto the next quest in regular acts ... not everyone who loves to play ARPG's have the time to do a massive dungeon crawl in one sitting, especially trying to coordinate with other friends or random players for multi-player dungeon delving. It might be a good idea to restock the floors upon 'resurrect at last checkpoint', so someone can't just inch their way forward.

And who cares if some people can just breeze through the floors, they are the people who probably wouldn't enjoy the challenge of a massive dungeon like we have suggested ... they are probably more interested in PvP content.

Sorry I missed the initial discussion on a similar topic, there is just so much in general discussion that it is hard to notice topics beyond the consistent trolling and whining.
Edited by MadMyke#1785 on 1/22/2013 5:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
Why do constructive topics like these get buried?
Reply Quote
Because complaining is both easier to do and causes people to react.

For purposes of forum posting, that's a win-win.
Reply Quote
Don't forget to check out Ammostiel's link provided above, there are a lot of good ideas in those posts as well.

As far as constructive posts being buried, it's simply because people like to complain about things, especially when they are frustrated with the current state of the game. Adding additional content, as suggested in this and many other forums, would give people more things to do and they would be less inclined to spend their time in forums whining about everything they disagree with.

There are a lot of players who are upset about the delays in PvP content and this will continue to be an issue until PvP is ready for launch, but there is a whole other group of players more concerned with additional PvE content such as myself who will just have to weather the storm of PvP complaints.

I do think there are some valid issues that need addressed (item duping, trade scamming, the sheer volume of useless item drops). Maybe the best way to get constructive ideas like these heard would be reaching out to the PvE driven community and getting them proactively involved in brainstorming and forum discussion. This would add a lot of volume to these posts and help them overcome the ad nauseum 'boo hoo' posts.
Edited by MadMyke#1785 on 1/23/2013 8:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
I had once upon a time thought up a system where Blizzard gives us a level editor, and lets us choose from the enemies to place throughout our levels. Loot and gold and xp could be managed by limiting the number of monsters that could be placed, and making limits on how close they could be made, to prevent us from making a room with 500000 monsters.

Then, once we've made our level, using the in game crafting system we can create portal machines to let players access these extra realms. Then the machines could in turn be sold on the auction house, or just given out freely.

Custom content, adds value to crafting materials, and creates a potential desirable consumable market for the auction house.

Dude, great idea. I used to make Starcraft campaigns and give em to my friends.
Reply Quote
Sigh. I see these posts happening too much...

"massive dungeon" - THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT DIABLO IS !! You are just losing perspective.

The problem with diablo3 that you are trying to address is that it's not random enough and there are only 2 levels to the 'dungeons' - probably because there is no random generation algorithm but, just several random types of a dungeon level from which 1 is chosen.

It would be nice if they had a few random dungeons/events that were 5 levels deep, with no waypoints, and a nice reward/objective based on monster power at the end.
Reply Quote
Sigh. I see these posts happening too much...

"massive dungeon" - THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT DIABLO IS !! You are just losing perspective.

The problem with diablo3 that you are trying to address is that it's not random enough and there are only 2 levels to the 'dungeons' - probably because there is no random generation algorithm but, just several random types of a dungeon level from which 1 is chosen.

It would be nice if they had a few random dungeons/events that were 5 levels deep, with no waypoints, and a nice reward/objective based on monster power at the end.

That's what Diablo 1 was ... and some of us loved that about Diablo 1. We are not losing perspective, some people who criticize this idea want Diablo 3 to be a different game entirely. This is a forum for people who love to play Diablo 3 as it is, we just want more places to explore. There is a great satisfaction, for some of us, in exploring deep dungeons with an endless supply of 'baddies'. It's what made the Diablo franchise in the early days.

And too often, people criticize others' ideas without giving any constructive suggestions. I do not take posts like these seriously. Maybe stating what other ideas you have that could improve the game would be more constructive.

I would like this thread to be a collection of constructive ideas, not a troll fest. If you just want to complain and criticize, 90% of the threads are just that.
Reply Quote
I didn't troll you... you miss my point about perspective. I did make a suggestion. Sigh ad infinitum.
Reply Quote
Relax.
01/23/2013 08:16 AMPosted by Villein

This would be a step in the direction I would want, but for all the work that would take to do this, I'd think that it would be just as easy to make something endless.
Reply Quote
I agree 100% ... even if there were deeper dungeons plugged into acts 1-4, it would still be acts 1-4 ... same old machine with a few new buttons. And why go through all that work for something so small.

Star Ocean TTEOT had a great bonus dungeon at endgame, same with Parasite Eve and just about every FF title ... they do extend the life of a game greatly.

The Ubers and the Hellfire Ring were a good step towards additional content, and I like the idea of deeper dungeons, it's just that some of us in the Diablo World loved the whole idea of Diablo 1's deep dungeon dive. I played it over and over and it was always something new to explore.

I thought Torchlight 1 was a great dungeon dive, but the replay value just wasn't there and they could have done much better in a lot of aspects of that game.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 09:09 AMPosted by Villein
I didn't troll you... you miss my point about perspective. I did make a suggestion. Sigh ad infinitum.

I do apologize about the trolling comment, there just seems to be a lot of negativity in related posts and I would like to see this remain a positive minded, idea sharing forum. With so little to do at end-game besides farming the same areas repeatedly for gold, loot and xp, it would be nice to work toward something bigger.
Reply Quote
View profile
Randomized 666 level dungeon sounds like fun.

Don't know how many folks played the first three versions in the Wizardry series (Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, Knights of Diamond, Legacy of Llylgamyn) but it was one of the original dungeon crawler games on a PC.

Parts of the dungeon maze (which was depicted as high res line graphics since we're talking 1980's here) had "features" like traps, teleporters, direction changers, and areas which went completely dark.

Since there was no automap, it made the last three of these "features" challenging (where your party could end up permanently lost if you hadn't plotted your movements on a piece of graph paper) when it came to exploring the dungeon and finding your way down to the next level.

Within the context of the Diablo series, the entrance to this dungeon should start from a series of random quests which can take place inside Tristram Cathedral. Upon completing one of these quests, a previously unknown stairwell is revealed leading to your proposed dungeon (which would be a completely different place as opposed to the one we experienced in Diablo I). Note, I'm just adding in some sort of association to where a dungeon like this would make sense when it comes to the Diablo universe.

Including some of the Wizardry elements previously mentioned could add to the fun and challenge when coupled with your original post, though I'd throw out the idea of becoming permanently lost when hitting an area that is in complete darkness; instead, you'd lose your mini/large map but never really get permanently lost - it just creates a challenge where you have to re-find your way back to a navigable path. Inside this labyrinth, you'd be able to find items solely for use inside of it. Some of these could be of time limited use (like a light stick whose usage clock begins ticking as soon as you pick it up; and once you begin actually using, has a very limited life).

I guess something like this would appeal to me since old style dungeon crawler games is why I eventually ended up getting hooked on the original Diablo.

P.S. - Not sure if you've come across my proposal for added content but please take a look at my Open World (aka free roam) proposal. It's long because I tried to address a bunch of things... but am always looking for feedback to make the idea even better.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708951097
Reply Quote
I also grew up with the Wizardry franchise and still play Crusaders of the Dark Savant on my old ThinkPad. Diablo 1, for me, was the first Wizardry-like game that used real time instead of phase time (a dream come true in the 1990s). I do miss the traps from Diablo and would like to see these perils return someday, maybe not requiring a DH to disarm as Torchlight did the trap thing very well.

Maybe access to a proposed dungeon could be restricted to the open world proposal in your post http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7708951097 that only opens under specific circumstances, such as completion of the proposed uber diablo event.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope these ideas have some open-minded attention brought to them as they would really boost replay value, especially for the old school gamers like us.
Reply Quote
You will grind act 3, and you will like it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]