Diablo® III

Path of Exile Skill tree in Diablo 3

Yeah thats what i´ve seen the last 2 years of blizzard games ..sad but true
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 11:42 AMPosted by padako
absolutely not. skill trees are very restrictive and hurt diversity.

Actually that all depends on how you build them. If I worked for Blizzard and it was my job to think of nothing apart from a balanced non restrictive skill tree system, I am sure I could handle that task with ease.

Also remember that during game creation devs can build the game in anyway they see fit. So they could build a totally non-restrictive skill tree if they so wished.

So your point is false.
Reply Quote
I don't think the tree would go well with Diablo 3.Though it's beautiful in POE. I see it as a reason to grind and be rewarded for it and mostly because I like making choices that change my character.

However, one thing you peeps can't argue, is that the passive tree if fluff and it doesn't make a difference. That is a absolutely wrong.
Reply Quote
Well there is no skill tree in D3, you just play and it unlocks a few things over time.

PoE you actually choose your path and you get things good or bad based on what you try to make your build to be. HUGE Difference.

The illusion of customization isn't all that worthwhile... any skill tree will invariably produce "optimum" builds which means there is no diversity... everyone picks the exact same skill and allots points in the exact same manner.

If you think skill trees give you diversity, you're kidding yourself.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 11:47 AMPosted by FooTWO
What is that crazy mess called a skill tree? Why heck would anyone want that? I like to be able to switch up my skill sets when I switch MP level and depending on what I want to do. The only thing missing is skill set profiles so that I can quick switch from doing PvP dueling to ubers run to key runs to exp leveling on MP1. F! the skill trees locking me in.

Yeah 3 dock preference can be cool
Reply Quote
Skill tree with respec will always be superior to D3's current set up--especially in terms of build diversity.

That said, I don't want a skill tree in D3. It doesn't match the game's direction and will only cause problems if layered in this late.
Reply Quote
Well there is no skill tree in D3, you just play and it unlocks a few things over time.

PoE you actually choose your path and you get things good or bad based on what you try to make your build to be. HUGE Difference.

The illusion of customization isn't all that worthwhile... any skill tree will invariably produce "optimum" builds which means there is no diversity... everyone picks the exact same skill and allots points in the exact same manner.

yeah and actually i see more variant build that in diablo 2
Reply Quote

yeah and actually i see more variant build that in diablo 2

I still play d2. There really are only a handful of viable builds past level 80 if you want maximum efficiency. Sure you can pick some variant for fun, but again... the real end game to d2 or d3 for that matter is farming efficiency. So, again... illusion of diversity is not worthwhile.
Reply Quote
A skill tree is definitely not needed in D3, nor would it be helpful/diverse. If you want to play a ARPG that has it, go back two steps and play D2 (Not hating on D2, just saying). It's already been done... time for the new.
Reply Quote

pls tell me about the all the different builds in d3. I'll wait for it.

You can make pretty much anything succeed in mp0-1. When talking about optimal farming builds, it's natural to have certain restrictions, mostly due to the way some skills work which simply doesn't allow much viability for that specific purpose. People are just willing to pick (and even acknowledge) the most efficient ones because that's what the game has been reduced to, but i'm pretty certain build diversity is definitely there, because every now and then i try different things, completely detached from the usual cookie cutter builds just to slow down and relax from the grinding and there's nothing to stop me from it on lower mp levels.

Imagine doing that with the bigass tree PoE offers? It would be a monumental hassle. Flexibility is the key word to describe the current D3 skill system. This overcomplicated skill tree may be appealing for pseudo hardcore people willing to smear down simplicity to bolster their egos about how they know a lot about the game, but what they've done with skills in D3 is a truly elegant solution to some really unnecessary cluttering the skill tree model brought to the genre.
Edited by Blashyrkh#1824 on 1/24/2013 1:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 11:42 AMPosted by padako

Seriously this is such BS I'm tired of reading that same line of crap.

I like the way Diablo 3's skills are interchangeable, and I also like the way a passive tree can customize your character.

If you look closely at Path of Exile skill tree, yes, a lot of them are +10 st, dex, int or whatever. But these are just the small steps you need to take to get to the keystones which are more significant. IE + % attack speed, + % life.

While there is an ideal foundation for specific builds, it's the ability to say to yourself, 'Hey, I'd like to be a bit more tanky I'm going to take this % life route, rather than the % attack speed route' that makes it fun!

That feel of customization is non-existent in Diablo 3 and you can't deny that it adds some degree of customization and decision making.
Edited by IronKenichi#1902 on 1/24/2013 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 12:49 PMPosted by briarben
The illusion of customization

So putting enough points into a certain skill areas, which give me the ability to use a maxed out gem I couldn't use otherwise isn't customization?

And here I was thinking I was building my character.

01/24/2013 12:49 PMPosted by briarben
everyone picks the exact same skill and allots points in the exact same manner.

That's not the skill trees fault. That's the skills and how they are balanced. Plus if that were the case, it would be no different than optimum builds in D3 and everyone choosing them.
Reply Quote
If you look closely at Path of Exile skill tree, yes, a lot of them are +10 st, dex, int or whatever. But these are just the small step

They are small steps, but they still make a huge difference. You can't use gems of a certain level if you don't meet the prereq. I agree with everything else you said though.
Reply Quote
To be honest i cant say something about whats better Diablo or Path of Exile and thats not the piont in the thread but did you´ve seen the awsome skill tree in Path of Exile ? Put this in Diablo or something close and you can try so much different stuff in the game ..
Well however what you guys think about a skill tree in Diablo with more variation and mix ?
Tell me your opinion .

poe suxs as your ideas do.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Midnite

pls tell me about the all the different builds in d3. I'll wait for it.

ww spec (used by 99% of barbs NOT including myself)

sprint spec (just WW spec)

bash spec (limited usufulness)

battle rage spec (ok build)

war cry spec (wtf?)

wotb spec (kjhafkhkafh NO!)

there.
Reply Quote
DUDE they can't change that much of the game.. sorry, it's too late
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 01:22 PMPosted by Cronja
DUDE they can't change that much of the game.. sorry, it's too late

Sadly I think you are right...We can hope though.
Reply Quote

That "skill tree" adds a fake degree of difficulty/skill. I bet you could consolidate so much of that garbage.

This.

A lot of players don't really pay attention to what Blizzard has been saying when it comes to trees. People that constantly say 'WoW is dumb now that it doesn't have skill trees' don't realize that if you wanted to be competitive you had to take certain talents. Blizzard has taken that feeling away in their games by making the required choices for you and simply giving you the free choices.
Edited by Frostspark#1417 on 1/24/2013 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
The skill tree in POE is horrible. It looks impressive but is pretty shallow.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]