Diablo® III

Marquise Rubies may actually be better

So apparently these new Rubies do something I didn't expect. It's easiest to explain with an example. Here are the stats on my MH:

1125 DPS
660-1217
50% damage
165 str
some int
OS

I had assumed that it would just be a flat 150 min/max damage, meaning:

810-1367 = 1088.5 x 1.2 (avg dmg x APS) = 1306.2 dps

If that was the case, emeralds are still better. BUT, here's what actually happens:

150 (+min) x 1.50 (50% weapon damage bonus) = 225 actual +min
300 (+max) x 1.50 (weapon damage bonus) = 450 actual +max

Meaning:
885 - 1667 = 1276 (avg dmg) x 1.2 APS = 1531.2 DPS.

Hooooly crap. So a little over 400 raw weapon dps boost with a Marquise Ruby. I still doubt that it will be a boost in the offhand, but in the mainhand... it can definitely be competitive.

D3rawr already has a function in the tdps calculator that allows you to resocket your weapon with a Marquise Ruby. For me, in my farm gear it's actually a 10k tdps drop going to a Marquise Ruby from just an 80% Emerald, but that's with the slowest 1h weapon and over 50% buffed crit as well. It's a lot closer than I thought it would be, looks like it's going to mostly depend on your gear.
Reply Quote
Yes.. The enhance damage actually adds to the 150, 150. If you have enhance 50% or something near, really worth a try.
Edited by Horngyuh80#6218 on 1/25/2013 2:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
I am a bit out of it this morning; haven't had my morning coffee yet. But, will the Marquise Ruby (in the mainhand) be better than a Marquise Emerald (which I think adds 110% crit) every time? Or, will the ruby only be better on weapons that have a high weapon% and a high damage range? I have tons of rubies just piling up in my inventory; I may work towards get the reagents for a Marquise Ruby instead of Emerald if the numbers work out how ya explained.
Edited by Acky#1783 on 1/25/2013 6:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
all i be caring about is will rend do mroe damage
Reply Quote
The Rubies will be more competitive/better used in faster APS weapons, like 1-hand swords and daggers, which can swing the +dmg from the ruby gem at the enemy more often. A slower 1.2 APS axe, mace or spear will not benefit as much as a 1.4+ APS sword or dagger.

In contrast, you wouldn't put the +dmg gem in a slow 2hander, because you can't swing it as often, unless you are using it for attacks that don't care about swing speed like Rend.

Also, it looks like you'll need a weapon with close to perfect +%ED rolls to take the most advantage of the gems, whereas +%CD emeralds grant their full benefits to any weapon.
Edited by sfxer#1565 on 1/25/2013 7:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
Get a couple of stat stick daggers and throw those rubies in there....I wonder if it will be viable.
Reply Quote
Is it +150 min and +300 max, I thought it should be +150 min and +150 max... lol
Reply Quote
well i put a marquise ruby on my weap and it boosted my dps from 169k to 187k though im not sure if i used the app correctly O_o
Reply Quote
d3rawr suggests my ef dps would go from 1167 to 1618.
Reply Quote
does D3rawr calculate correctly now?

EF with Marquise ruby: 170421.87 dps

EF with Marquise emerald: 171445.70 dps

EF with Radiant Emerald: 168818.13 dps

I get less benefits from the ruby.
Reply Quote
with D3 rawr i get these values:

Marquise Ruby: 170421.87

Main Hand swing before using Sprint and WW:
1011104 DPS
Off Hand swing before using Sprint and WW:
1048983 DPS

Marquise Emerald: 171445.70

952921 DPS
983030 DPS

Radiant Emerald: 168818.13

938317 DPS
967964 DPS

If these are accurate, I should still get marquise ruby for my main hand EF despite the lower paper dps.
Reply Quote
It's actually looking like WW barbs with a slow MH (1.2/1.3) will still be sticking with emeralds. However, those who use an EF MH will need to use d3rawr to see if it will beat out an emerald.
Reply Quote
According to both d3up and d3rawr, my Skorn does the following when I upgrade from Radiant Emerald:

- Marquise Emerald = +3143.75 (nice)
- Marquise Ruby = +14552.57 (holy #$#@!)

Damn! I pulled the trigger in AH (live) on all the mats I need for 3 Radiant Rubies. If they change the calc, I might regret it, but if the ruby dps calc stays as is, I'm betting ruby prices will rise.
Reply Quote
According to both d3up and d3rawr, my Skorn does the following when I upgrade from Radiant Emerald:

Damn! I pulled the trigger in AH (live) on all the mats I need for 3 Radiant Rubies. If they change the calc, I might regret it, but if the ruby dps calc stays as is, I'm betting ruby prices will rise.

i bought 3 radiant rubies as well. cheers to that!
Reply Quote

i bought 3 radiant rubies as well. cheers to that!

Ya... cost me 83mil....
Reply Quote
Why are you people adding +300 to max damage... Its supposed to be +150min and +150 max right??? Or Im missing something
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 03:16 AMPosted by DaveMD
Why are you people adding +300 to max damage... Its supposed to be +150min and +150 max right??? Or Im missing something
min/max damage both add the same paper dps so 1min=1max
Reply Quote
Lol,
They add +150min and then +300max thats different from +150min anf +150max
Reply Quote
I don't know where OP gets his calculations. What I know is the values which d3rawr give me.
Reply Quote
Even in d3rawr, its +150 min and + 300 max... i dont get it... lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]