Diablo® III

deep freeze and bone chill dilemma

is deep freeze's 15% cc bonus greater than bone chill's 15% additional damage? i've been confused as to which one to use since they're very situational like how champ trash dies first then you lose df bonus and wishing you have bc, stuff like that.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure it's been discussed at length lately, but deep freeze isn't just a dps bonus, it makes the whole build work better in terms of freeze lock and loh recovery. Sure you struggle a little bit against single targets, but I'm sold on deep freeze for farming 100%.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 12:48 AMPosted by Darshu
I'm pretty sure it's been discussed at length lately, but deep freeze isn't just a dps bonus, it makes the whole build work better in terms of freeze lock and loh recovery. Sure you struggle a little bit against single targets, but I'm sold on deep freeze for farming 100%.

yeah that's what been bugging me, that insane proc rate with 15+ cc
Reply Quote
deep freeze to me is a crutch

CM mages never fair badly in terms of procs with 5 packs. they only fair badly at single targets thus the need to get 2.74 aps breakpoint.

I mean, go try bone chill vs deep freeze ghom/azmodan for dps testing, you should know which is the clear winner.
Reply Quote
Deep Freeze is usually the most ideal in situations where you're killing very fast, so you minimize the potential downtime that you aren't benefiting from the +15%CC (ie single yellows). Deep Freeze is more or less a win-more kind of rune (ie perfect for solo farming). So if you're already doing something pretty fast and efficient it's likely to shift you into turbo, whereas Bone Chill is just more consistent (not to mention being BiS for multiplayer games).
Reply Quote
Bone chill is the obvious winner against fewer than 5 targets. The question is, what's your use case? If you're farming, it's not single target dps so testing against a single target isn't a good indicator.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 01:01 AMPosted by TekkZero
Deep Freeze is usually the most ideal in situations where you're killing very fast, so you minimize the potential downtime that you aren't benefiting from the +15%CC (ie single yellows). Deep Freeze is more or less a win-more kind of rune (ie perfect for solo farming). So if you're already doing something pretty fast and efficient it's likely to shift you into turbo, whereas Bone Chill is just more consistent (not to mention being BiS for multiplayer games).

^this. If you can down packs within 20 seconds or so, DF is the winner for solo. Meet a pack with a few trash, DF, kill them all, and you probably have time left for a few more trash. There are very very few situations you face EXACTLY 3 Elites when farming, especially in Act 3.

I kill slower with BC.
Reply Quote
We won Shandy over to DF for farming, what more needs to be said :)

DF for farming
BC for ubers

Simple as that
Reply Quote
I keep flopping back and forth. When deep freeze is running its super god mode. Procs like mad, AP full from a single twister instantly. And generally it lasts for the vast majority of the MP8 yellow elites life. But its a noticeable loss when its not there.

I just can't decide. I already have really high CC so its not that huge of a jump, but I also have high CD, so its ~17% boost to paper dps and 15% cc means higher multiplier. So when its active its a solid 20, even 25% faster kill (5-10% over bone chill), but when its not active its 15% slower... I'm just not sure.
Reply Quote
ok thanks for your inputs. i'll go try things up
Reply Quote
Comes down to where you farm too. Since in 1.07 you can choose to farm purely for Demonic Essences(which is what I'm going to do). In this case I'm cherry picking High density areas where Deep freeze destroys Bone Chill.
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 02:38 AMPosted by Aphraell
Comes down to where you farm too. Since in 1.07 you can choose to farm purely for Demonic Essences(which is what I'm going to do). In this case I'm cherry picking High density areas where Deep freeze destroys Bone Chill.

Absolutely true. If I'm doing heroe's rest and restart over and over I'd use deep freeze + time bomb + electrify MP10 without question. There are so many skeletons in those caves.

I'm thinking MP9, deep freeze, chain reaction(doors), electrify and doing keeps 2 through ghom over and over myself. Get the 50% plan drop rate (at least til they are cheap).

There's no reason to bother with getting 5 NV before keeps 2 anymore, MP9 is insane bonus XP from MP now. My testing puts DE at around 40/hour doing that. Not the best, but XP will be 70m+ and will have a good chance of legends still.
Reply Quote
Good run, but then it may be a bit slow? K2 and K3 have so many dead ends, and those annoying Maniac. How about Cydaea, I think I can run straight start from ToC 1 and collect the elites, faster if you just want to farm boss.
Edited by novice#1750 on 1/22/2013 3:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you want to do Boss runs - ZK is prob best. Cydeas shielding makes the fight too long imo lol.
Reply Quote
Are there any 2 places that guarantee 5 packs without much searching? Woods come pretty close but I still have to run around a bit if unlucky. And we have to find the way to bosses in Act 1.
Edited by novice#1750 on 1/22/2013 3:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/22/2013 03:33 AMPosted by novice
Good run, but then it may be a bit slow? K2 and K3 have so many dead ends, and those annoying Maniac. How about Cydaea, I think I can run straight start from ToC 1 and collect the elites, faster if you just want to farm boss.

If you start on 'kill ghom' then its no problem. Keeps 2 doesn't have many dead ends, its mostly circles. Just go until you find the keeps 3 stairs then take them. When you get to keeps 3 ghoms door will be lit up. Go straight for it.

Its extremely unlikely you'd not get 5 elites by the time you get there. I'm thinking it'll be 8 or 9 per run average and brutally quick. Plus teleport is gimped in keeps anyway. Electrify + Deep Freeze would win hands down. I'll be 290k dps and 77.5cc with deep freeze up. 2.6m+ singles dps plus electrify procs on groups.

Tbh, I get a new WH and Source I may be able to make an MP10 run like that work. Not sure if it'll be worth it for DE though cause its only 15% higher drop rate. But then again my amulet means there's not really much use for DE for me. Chances of gloves > my taskers may as well be 0.
Reply Quote
Yeah I don't see any point for you to craft, I can craft Amulet to my heart's content though, using Rare lol.

Electrify? Maybe Venom is better because you fight Ghom 1 on 1? I will use Time Warp though, anihilate singles and groups alike. Also the 50% chance to drop is applied to what MP? Or across all MPs? I'm still confused about this.
Reply Quote
I would think if doing ghom for plan. doing skycrown battlements + keep 3 is sufficient.

skycrown is usually 3-6 packs

50% is across all mp. so you might simply just want to rush mp1/2/3/4 instead.

I would probably do zoltan kulle instead. i have plenty of a2 purples i haven't seen yet..( sewers and howling plateau ,the two side dungeons of the archives,)
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 1/22/2013 7:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Across all MPs? yeah running MP 1 until I find the Amulet Plan is a good idea then.
Reply Quote
OT a little. For me i am running 2.74 aps with 51.5% CC. Should i be switching over from cold snap to bone chill/deep freeze in the long run? Using cold snap,for packs i have 0% problem of perm freezing them, but for single leet target, they sometime manage to cast a spell/ get a hit in or rotate around a little.
Edited by Liquid#6905 on 1/24/2013 10:39 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]