Diablo® III

New Slayer Seeking Advice!

Hello Folks,

I'm new to the Diablo World, but since I heard so much about it, I went out and purchased Diablo 3 about 2 weeks ago.. I have two characters; a Barbarian (Currently playing Hell with monster power at 0 @ lvl 51) and a Demon Hunter (lvl 42).. My game play follows that of the AD&D style, since those are the games I primarily have played (Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Baulders Gate 1 & 2, Eye of the Beholder, Elder Scrolls I thru V and the likes), but I find Diablo 3 to be quite different in that you must go through the same areas repeatedly in order to acquire quality gear, but just different difficulty levels..

Anyway, I have a couple of quick questions:
1. At what point should I start to acquire armor/weapon "SETS"?
2. At what point will I start to acquire weapons with a 500+ score? So far the best I have found is a 2 handed weapon rated at 200 after filling the single available socket..
3. I am trying to build up my Blacksmith, but the pages to fill the book are hard to find.. My Jeweler is stuck, since I need to acquire books in order to progress, but I have only found pages thus far.. How can I find the books needed for the Jeweler and more pages for the Blacksmith?
4. My Barbarian has only acquired 2 Legendary items so far (chest piece and belt), all other pieces are just "Rare", I have NO blue pieces mixed in.. My weapons being used ae "rare" as well.. Are there Legendary Weapons?
5. In my readings here I keep seeing the term "Farming".. What is this and is it useful?
6. I do not plan on using the Auction House..

So with all of the above stated, what advice and suggestions can the Guru Warriors out there provide me with? I'm playing the game in "Single Campaign" style (NO public or multiplayer events), but it just seems I am not finding the BEST gear, even though I am looking into every corner and crevice.. So any and all help is very much appreciated.. Please check out my Barbarian character to see what I am referring to..

Thanks ALL!
Edited by Gunny5821#1507 on 1/23/2013 2:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Welcome to Diablo 3 and Our Forums young Nephalem!

Search the auction house to get familiar with items and which ones are considered to be worth alot.

Most Important Stats in the game:
These add Damage for your character.
Strength for Barbarian
Dexterity for Monk
Dexterity for Demon hunter
Intelligance for Witch Doctor
Intelligance for Wizard
Criticle Chance % (Very good for doing damage)
Criticle Damage %(Very good for doing damage)
Attack speed (Very good for every attack you do)

Important Stats to help you survive:
Vita
Life %
Defense
All resistances
Life on hit
Life Steal %

In Inferno is where you can find the best items especially Act-3 (Google alkazier Run, for the best farming game)

1. As soon as you get to level 60, start working toward aquiring sets/legendaries
2. When you start farming Inferno with a high level paragon character or with alot of magic find. FYI its very hard to find good items with good stats in this game.
3. As you keep playing the game in inferno, you have the chance to find these recepies and pages. So playing the game in inferno is where you find them.
4. Yes there is legendary weapons. I advice you to search the Auction House to get familiar with items.
5. Farming = People playing the game trying to find elite items.

6. If you dont plan on Buying or selling with the auction house, Atleast use it for getting familiar with what items there is and what items are considered to be elite.

When you level your character to a high paragon level (100 is maximum) and when you are strong enough to where you can farm mp 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 ect... efficiant (Meaning it doesnt take you long to kill Elites Blue or yellow) thats when you start finding legendaries / sets more often.

Go to this Page for fundamentals of Diablo 3: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/23/2013 2:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hopefully my reply was helpful..
Reply Quote
If you have another question, feel free to post it here in your thread and i will reply evantually because i farm diablo 3 and check in forums from time to time.
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/23/2013 2:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
if you arent using the AH i suggest making one of each character. it might be hard and slow to get a character to where you can farm well but once you do and you get a decent paragon level (levels that give magic find and gold find after you get to 60, capped at 100) you should find decent items sometimes and a few legenday/sets. the thing is that they wont always be for your class, so its good to have the option to be able to use good items that arent for you class. my demon hunter was built with help of the AH, but i geared my witchdocter, wiz, and barb through stuff i found with him.

just an fyi, if you dont like replaying the same area for better gear diablo might not last that long for you. right now thats basically all that the game is and the only thing we know is coming is the dueling in 1.0.7, and the arena at some point.

if you want some advice on gear and skills you can add me in game. i can also help you farm some if you want when you get to inferno.
Reply Quote
NeLLy & Sycoticpyro,

Thanks for the GREAT assist! Since I just started to play the "Hell" level and my Barbarian just attained lvl 51, it will be quite some time before I reach lvl 60.. I was really hoping that I would start to see good things in the "Hell" level, since it is like the halfway marker..

So to confirm my understanding, "Farming" is playing the game to find the best gear, right? Well if that is correct, doesn't everyone do that, except for maybe the person who is making his first run through the game?

I took a gander at your gear and the equipment used on your characters and boy there is a HUGE difference between what you have and what I have, no wonder I keep getting dusted while playing.. Any suggestions for tough fights with the type of equipment I am forced to use?

So in the gear arena, one always has to make choices on what trade offs they must opt in or opt out, so in that vein I have some questions. Mind you these are primarily going towards my Barbarian, but I have 2 full levels for my "Stash Chest", so plenty of room in there for my other characters as suggested by you guys..
1. Which is more important - Strength or Vitality?
2. Should the option to find "More" magical items be the trump option that beats all others?
3. Please look into my profile and provide some suggestions on what I could do to better my current character..

I'm not a big fan of the "multiplayer" game (As you can probably tell by the games I have played), but is there a way to have you guys play along with me without going public where everyone is playing as well, kinda like a limited in scope mulitplayer game?? If so, would you be willing to do it and how does one go about it?

Again, THANKS for your help thus far and I look forward to gaining a better perspective of the game through your continued guidance in Diablo 3!
Edited by Gunny5821#1507 on 1/23/2013 4:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nice! A helpful and positive thread. Yay.

Life in D3 starts at lvl 60. Inferno is the place where the gear starts to really matter. Whether you use the Auction House or not, it's a good idea to have one of each Hero at lvl 60. It gives you a place to dump the gear you don't need at the moment on your main.

If at all possible, make friends and ask them to power level you, it will save time.

Remember the two things you need to do is do damage and stay alive, you aren't any good laying there dead.

I play mostly self found stuff, but have succumbed to the AH when I wanted to complete a set or I saw something that I could really use and afford.

Have fun out there!
Reply Quote
I was just reading a posting wherein some people stated they were lvling every 10-20 minutes until lvl 50 and than they only slowed down a little..

How in the world can this be correct? Would it benefit me more to go back and replay the "Normal" level, but with a MP of 5-10? When I played through that level and actually all of them I have been playing with an MP factor of "0".. Or should I continue on with the "Hell" level and an MP of "0"? Which way would get me to level 60 faster??

Again, Thanks!
Reply Quote
Hey Makina,

Thanks for your assist! Question, what do you mean by having "Friends Power Level You"?? Since everything seems to be hinging on lvl 60 and Inferno and the only way to get to Inferno is to successfully complete Hell, I had some leveling questions, so please see my last posting here..

Thanks!
Reply Quote

I'm not a big fan of the "multiplayer" game (As you can probably tell by the games I have played), but is there a way to have you guys play along with me without going public where everyone is playing as well, kinda like a limited in scope mulitplayer game?? If so, would you be willing to do it and how does one go about it?

Again, THANKS for your help thus far and I look forward to gaining a better perspective of the game through your continued guidance in Diablo 3!

I played Solo for the first 300 hours or so. I had one real life friend that I played with on occasion. I hesitated to even play with him since I knew I would be holding him back.

I tried a pub game and found that the fast pace was cool, and eventually met some people that were nice enough to play again with. I think the key is to keep an eye out for people who's play style is similar to your own and add them. I went form having 1 person on my list to about 20. I st opped adding people as that was plenty and I have found a really good core group of players that I enjoy playing with. In the end, it went from being a solo game to a team game, and the experience became much more fulfilling when you factor in that you are working with a nice group of people working toward a common goal .

One point that I like about playing with others, is that when you die, you don't have to walk back to where you died. You can either get resurrected by your team, or revive, TP back to town and then TP to one in your group using the banner. It saves a lot of time.

...or just don't die :)

Have fun.
Reply Quote
Man, I envy you. I was just thinking today how I wish I was a new barb again entering inferno, where most of the drops are huge upgrades. (Course, there's always hardcore for that, but...)

You won't consistently start finding "great" items until you get about 200 MF. At 400 MF drops are a bit friendlier, but it'll still take some time to become godly.

Just enjoy the journey, because once you reach end-game, it can be a bit frustrating when you're gear is so awesome that an upgrade only comes once every 1000 (or 10k) drops or so.

I would avoid the AH for now, and save it as a last resort.

If your barb needs to use the AH, a good guideline for cheap beefy upgrades is:

Chest: VIT
Shoulders: STR
Pants: VIT

That corresponds to the highest stat roll for that particular armor slot, this way you can find lots of stats for relatively cheap, and inferno won't be so punishing in the early stages, before you've found some nice gear.

I would advise going for defense over offense when you're just starting out in Inferno. (Gem for vitality/amethysts) You'll die less and wont' spend so much on repairs allowing you to save up gold. Plus dying is frustrating.

Have fun! Game is pretty sweet.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 1/23/2013 4:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
Short story on power leveling

Set game to any mode (norm, nightmare, hell or inferno)

Set MP to 10

Have a high powered friend join you

Have them kill everything while you dodge for your life and try and stay alive.

You will get XP for all of their kills and yours if you manage any.

I have heard that you can go from 0-60 in a couple of hours. Realistically probably 10-12 maybe.

Once you hit level 20 something, investing a "Cain's set", a helm with a big Ruby and the use of a Hellfire Ring or Leorics Signet will net you even more exp gain.

The Hellfire ring can be used at any level, getting one would be the hard part. For you that will come later.

Hope that helps,
Reply Quote

I played Solo for the first 300 hours or so. I had one real life friend that I played with on occasion. I hesitated to even play with him since I knew I would be holding him back.

I tried a pub game and found that the fast pace was cool, and eventually met some people that were nice enough to play again with. I think the key is to keep an eye out for people who's play style is similar to your own and add them. I went form having 1 person on my list to about 20. I st opped adding people as that was plenty and I have found a really good core group of players that I enjoy playing with. In the end, it went from being a solo game to a team game, and the experience became much more fulfilling when you factor in that you are working with a nice group of people working toward a common goal .

One point that I like about playing with others, is that when you die, you don't have to walk back to where you died. You can either get resurrected by your team, or revive, TP back to town and then TP to one in your group using the banner. It saves a lot of time.

...or just don't die :)

Have fun.

Can you check out my profile and offer some suggestions for playing through the Hell lvl? Also, as I understand it, if you use anything above an MP of 0, your not able to play publicly, is that correct? So would an MP of 5-10 really be of benefit to play in solo, or should I look at playing with someone?
Reply Quote

Set MP to 10

I have heard that you can go from 0-60 in a couple of hours. Realistically probably 10-12 maybe.

Once you hit level 20 something, investing a "Cain's set", a helm with a big Ruby and the use of a Hellfire Ring or Leorics Signet will net you even more exp gain.

The Hellfire ring can be used at any level, getting one would be the hard part. For you that will come later.

Hope that helps,

So since I am at lvl 51, did I miss this opportunity at lvl 20? I have been crawling into every square inch of the game so I wouldn't miss anything along the way, and those are some pretty significant items to lose, or is my character not able to use them? But regardless if I saw them I would remember and I never came across those..

OK, well would one of you like to try a walk me through a multiplayer combo at some point? You all seem really great and cordial, which is a biggie!
Reply Quote
At the moment you can not play a public game higher than MP0. That will change in the next patch.

If you are playing Solo and play a higher MP, there is a bonus to exp, MF and GF for every MP higher than 0.

There is a chart somewhere regarding this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7540457/

As for your characters, that would be hard to say. I could say you could use more STR and VIT and a better weapon, but that all depends on you, your play style and how often you are willing to die.

My general rule of thumb is that if you can kill elites without dying, you're good. If the white mobs give you trouble, you need better gear or a lower MP.

Worry less about the gear and more about the fun you are having. Like I said Inferno is where having the right gear becomes more important. I think my only suggestion is keep all the things that make your DPS and Life go up. I know it's simplistic, but I don't see a reason to overly complicate things this early in the game for you.
Reply Quote
@Gunny5821, you can switch out your 2 handed weapon to 2, 1 handed weapons with sockets where you can add emeralds into them to increase your criticle damage % and then try to recieve criticle chance % from other items.. but this is best for later on when you level 60 and up. Also as you start leveling your paragon you will gain magic find so you can focus on getting a different stat on your item instead of magic find.

If you want to level a little bit faster, socket your helmet with a Ruby for the extra Bonus %. Also since you do not plan on using the Auction house focus on playing in public games and use other players who are more experianced and been playing longer to your advantage when it comes to farming for items. So yea play public with other people so the game is easier for you to farm for items.
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/23/2013 4:56 PM PST
Reply Quote

Set MP to 10

Hope that helps,

So since I am at lvl 51, did I miss this opportunity at lvl 20? I have been crawling into every square inch of the game so I wouldn't miss anything along the way, and those are some pretty significant items to lose, or is my character not able to use them? But regardless if I saw them I would remember and I never came across those..

OK, well would one of you like to try a walk me through a multiplayer combo at some point? You all seem really great and cordial, which is a biggie!

No you haven't missed the opportunity. If you haven't seen them, they are rare and legendary after all, it is unlikely you would have found them. I bought mine (which are out on loan at the moment)

If you want you add me. If I am on and have nothing else going on, I can help you.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 02:28 PMPosted by NeLLy
Hopefully my reply was helpful..

What a very nice reply. I still have hope for this forum!
Reply Quote
OK, one final quick question, how do I add you to my "Friend" base in the game, of which it presently states "0"? Would you recommend that I play "Normal with MP 10" or would you suggest "Hell with MP 0"? Which would be faster to get to lvl 60? Also, isn't the only way to play Inferno is to play through Hell first? Right now when I check for difficulty, Inferno is not offered..

Standing by or some last minute replies and than back to the game, but I need to put my Blue & Gold Macaw to bed for the night first, so I will be standing by....
Edited by Gunny5821#1507 on 1/23/2013 5:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Go play a pub game and see if there are other there that you like.

Probably Hell MP0, that way you are finding items of use to you.

I'll be on in a while.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]