Diablo® III

What do you do when you DC

Today I found myself in a potentially deadly situation when I lagged out as soon as I ran up to an elite pack. As soon as I got into range of them I noticed they were not moving and my swings were doing no damage. I knew immediately that I had hit a really bad lag spike, even though my latency meter was still showing all green. Over skype I told my buddy I was lagging very badly and he might have to try to save me if things didn't clear up.

The entire process lasted about a full minute before my character was finally dropped from the game. We were on Mp0 so I remained at 100% HP (despite standing in desecrate the entire time) until my inspiring presence buff ended. After that ended my buddy was keeping me posted as my health went down over skype so I knew what was going on. I was down to about 25% HP and I was starting to panic just as he tells me that a health globe dropped and that he got me back to about 50% HP. From there I went back down to about 25-30% HP again by the time it finally booted me from the game. He definitely saved me.

The entire time, on my screen, it looked like I was in the game at full health and nothing was moving or attacking. I wasn't sure what to do in that situation which brought me to this question:

What do you do when you are sure you are experiencing a disconnect?
1) Wait it out and hope the lag clears
2) Alt+F4 and log back in as quickly as possible
3) Something else - please explain.

Luckily I dodged a bullet today and live to fight another day. Just trying to decide how I should react if/when I find myself in the same situation again in the future. I know there is no sure-fire way to avoid death from a disconnect but I would like to have the best possible reaction when I come across that situation again.
Edited by Vekz#1728 on 1/23/2013 7:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
I did option 2 when I dc'd yesterday, was on mp1 and had just engaged an elite spawn with arcane. I ended up living, however, I'm not sure how much of that is due to my response.

I also threw my headphones on my desk and face-palmed....
Reply Quote
Mash buttons for 5-10 seconds, if absolutely 0 response from the game, I power off my comp via button.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 07:12 PMPosted by ChillBill
I also threw my headphones on my desk and face-palmed....

LOL. I was definitely heading towards this same reaction when I started thinking I was going to die.

Also, while I have been sitting here trying to weigh the pros/cons of the different reactions I posted I thought about the following...

What if I left my laptop nearby sitting at the diablo 3 log in screen and quickly reached over to it and logged in as soon as I knew I was experiencing another disconnect. Would that instantly remove my character from the game upon logging in on another computer? I would think this could shave off a couple seconds from the Alt+F4 method. This is definitely one that I can and will test when I get a chance but I figured I would throw it out there in case someone else has any experience with this method as well.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Zed
Mash buttons for 5-10 seconds, if absolutely 0 response from the game, I power off my comp via button.

This one sounds a little dangerous to me. I can understand hitting Alt+F4 and reloading the game as quickly as possible to get logged back in. But it takes much longer to wait for your computer to boot back up and get loaded back in than if you just hit Alt+f4.

I don't know for a fact that alt+f4 and logging back in will force disconnect you from the current game faster though, so it might not really make any difference. Just my thoughts when I read your reply.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 07:35 PMPosted by Vekz

This one sounds a little dangerous to me. I can understand hitting Alt+F4 and reloading the game as quickly as possible to get logged back in. But it takes much longer to wait for your computer to boot back up and get loaded back in than if you just hit Alt+f4.

I don't know for a fact that alt+f4 and logging back in will force disconnect you from the current game faster though, so it might not really make any difference. Just my thoughts when I read your reply.

Meh, been safe for almost 11k elite kills on my first level 60. I DC pretty frequently too, perhaps i`m just lucky?
Reply Quote
I panic and repeat to myself, please don't die.
Reply Quote

Meh, been safe for almost 11k elite kills on my first level 60. I DC pretty frequently too, perhaps i`m just lucky?

I am not sure if the alt+f4 method is in fact safer, it just sounded like it would be in my head.

When one of my friends gets back online I was planning on doing some testing to see how the results vary.

I want to load into a game, clear out a zone so I don't have to worry about dieing during the tests lol, and do each of the following three:
1) Hitting Alt+f4 and logging back into the game
2) Using my laptop to log in from a separate computer
3) Powering down my computer.

I will have him keep track of how long my character stays in game for all 3 instances.

However, even if one of those methods proves to be better during an organized test, I don't know if they will function the same way while experiencing a real disconnect so the results still might not mean a whole lot.
Reply Quote
Scotch, preferably a 12 year.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 07:00 PMPosted by Vekz
3) Something else - please explain.

Cry.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 08:56 PMPosted by BobWitchDR

Yeah I went for That 18 years Glenlivet when I lost my monk(s) and DH.
Reply Quote
please keep us posted as I wanna know the best way to handle DC too
Reply Quote
View profile
"What do you do when you DC"

Die, then re-roll. Button-mashing, moving away, or anything else doesn't work for me.
Reply Quote
01/23/2013 09:26 PMPosted by Darmali
please keep us posted as I wanna know the best way to handle DC too

I didn't get a chance to test this tonight. Will try to do it tomorrow though and will definitely post my results here as soon as I have them.
Reply Quote
Doesn't Alt+F4 auto kill you when in battle?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
01/23/2013 09:12 PMPosted by CR0USTI

I go with Macallan 12 or Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 05:30 PMPosted by Taunque

I have a Lagavulin, single Islay malt, 16 y/o standing behind my second monitor. It will definitively be empty an hour after my monk dies....

01/24/2013 05:49 PMPosted by LSU
I usually just beat my wife or one of my kids. Whoever is closest basicly. if no family is around I will go for a family pet.

BAD LSU!!!! very bad!!!!! (unless you are trolling, which you obviously are, actually..... still bad!!!!... very bad!!!)
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 05:30 PMPosted by Taunque

Jim Beam. Neat. Because I'm classy.
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 05:49 PMPosted by LSU
I usually just beat my wife or one of my kids. Whoever is closest basicly. if no family is around I will go for a family pet.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, and bump!

EDIT: That alt + f4 sounds... I don't know, I think it's worth a try, better than look waiting for the axe to fall.

alt + f4, or it's better to just turn down the computer?
Edited by WhiteZombie#1654 on 1/28/2013 1:06 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]