Diablo® III

interesting testing with ghom

so i've been bugging that lard of tub around with different skills (force weapon/venom/diamond shard) at mp 8 and regardless of diamond shard, as long as i go venom, he dies the same as when i use diamond shard.

i'm not good with math so cannot provide any 'numeric stats' but judging from my stop watch

mp8 with diamond shard/venom = 45s
mp8 with crystal shell/venom = 45s
mp8 with diamond shard/force weapon = 1.3m
mp8 with crystal shell/force weapon = 1.3m

aspd 2.73/50cc 207k dps with fw; 199k dps with venom; sns
Reply Quote
kinda confused.

so:
mp8 with diamond shard/venom = 45s
mp8 with crystal shell/venom = 45s

-only variable here is which version of diamond skin you're using. you get the same kill time, and assuming you did this in triplicate or more and that the only variable truly was diamond skin, then the proper conclusion here is that diamond shards adds no eDPS. But we know from other tests that shards DOES add eDPS, so something is not right here
Reply Quote
i know alesso. that's the weird thing and i'm still doing it and still getting the same time.

i'm using bone chill and aph's sns build which is cold blooded/glass cannon
Reply Quote
Curiously, how many times did you repeat your test?
Reply Quote
6 times so far.
Reply Quote
Fascinating, so it's quite repeatable. Do you have a time with just Diamond Shards and a generic Magic Weapon rune (non-Force Weapon)?
Reply Quote
not as of yet. will try it now
Reply Quote
test 1 diamond shard with no rune mw = 199k dps; 1 min
Reply Quote
test 2 diamond shard with no rune mw = 199k dps 45 sec
Reply Quote
So far that's quite interesting! It's definitely an increase in kill time with Venom. Just to rule out something weird with Diamond Shards, you might try a test with your generic magic weapon rune and Crystal Shell (no Shards or Venom). That should give you a baseline DPS to compare Venom and Shards against. :)
Reply Quote
will do
Reply Quote
test 1 crystal shell with no rune mw = 199k dps 45 sec
Reply Quote
test 2 crystal shell with no rune mw = 199k dps 45 sec

im beginning to wonder about latency...could it be that? i'm running a consistent 190-200 ms
Reply Quote
But isn't your latency at least the same each time you run a build? Or is it possible that latency differentially affects different setups

The plot thickens
Reply Quote
Well so far all of your trials are largely the same. That's why I asked you to do the other trials to rule out that it was your choice of runes that mattered. It's not immediately obvious to me what's the matter. Your latency is a tad high relatively speaking and you're running at a 6.53x multiplier (again a tad low). One possibility is that the server is missing your commands, but I still find myself in disbelief that there is no difference whatsoever. You should see a damage increase with Diamond Shards and Venom.

I noticed that you rounded to either 45s and 1min. Could this be due to rounding errors? Do you have the raw times?
Reply Quote
it is alesso. it never goes beyond 200 nor does it fall below 190. i'm suspecting ghom's gas spam latency issue. could be that.

either ways, he dies \O_O/
Reply Quote
the 45s and 1m is like this on my stopwatch

with 1m it's like

latency is high because i'm in asia and i don't think getting a faster net would help it.
Reply Quote
That sucks. If someone doesn't replicate your results before Saturday, I'll try to give this a go myself. Thanks for taking the time to do the tests!
Reply Quote
sure tekk. it started out as a random thing and wasn't really a time test. take it as a 'want to see how i fair' kind of thing and that's really it.

again, i will say latency is a big issue here. i just saw my latency spiked to 219 with ghom spamming his farts.

i'm not sure whether getting a faster connection would help but i don't think my net is bad
Reply Quote
hearsay:
diamond shards only triggers damage when it expires/destroyed. and not when it is recast.

so if your mitigation is so good that diamond shard isn't destroyed by ghom's gas before it is recast, then you see no benefit from shards.

I have not tested this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]