Diablo® III

interesting testing with ghom

I'm gonna have to test that, as I'm really surprised.

That's actually quite contrary to what Aimless found, and I doubt any of us would say that Aimless isn't tanky. :p Recently, Aimless reported a 8.66x sheep dps with Shards, while only 7.23x with Shell (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242657 ). Though Aimless has a MUCH better latency than most D3 players.
Reply Quote
would be tricky to test out
Reply Quote
Could probably do it in act 1 with its plethora of slow mobs.

Spin up on a group and when diamond resets, run to a neighboring mob and recast it before it wears off.
Reply Quote
Decided to test it since I never actually verified it myself.

Gathered a bunch of zombies and spam'd twisters while backing up (I stayed range to prevent diamond from absorbing hits). Cast diamond, it refreshed, got a little closer and recast. Damage. I also recast it on undamaged mobs I encountered while leading my "pain train". Damage.

So yea, works on recast.
Edited by Judist#1516 on 1/25/2013 12:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
thanks judist
Reply Quote
hearsay:
diamond shards only triggers damage when it expires/destroyed. and not when it is recast.

so if your mitigation is so good that diamond shard isn't destroyed by ghom's gas before it is recast, then you see no benefit from shards.

I have not tested this.

I believe shards still triggers when you recast it.
Reply Quote
Been playing around with Glass cannon alot lately. And to be honest I'm not noticing alot of difference (if any) in dps using Shards or Shell. Except I live against RD.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 03:06 AMPosted by Aphraell
Been playing around with Glass cannon alot lately. And to be honest I'm not noticing alot of difference (if any) in dps using Shards or Shell. Except I live against RD.

From what i have noticed is that, compare to Crystal Shell, Diamond Shards helps with proc against single target (Extra Health Yellow Elite) where u need that extra CM proc to lock them up.

The dmg difference, as had been said, is quite minor.
Reply Quote
So on a related note, does Mirror Skin reflect the damage from RD/Poison/Electric/Arcane/Desecrator, and maybe smth else , back to the attacker?

Maybe an auto-damage mode.
Edited by novice#1750 on 1/25/2013 3:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 03:18 AMPosted by Mil

From what i have noticed is that, compare to Crystal Shell, Diamond Shards helps with proc against single target (Extra Health Yellow Elite) where u need that extra CM proc to lock them up.

The dmg difference, as had been said, is quite minor.

But this is troubling because people such as Aimless (or other people who have, err, for lack of better word, published their results here) have provided numbers for how much shards increases eDPS vs. not shards. I specifically remember reading that there is some sizable % increase in dmg output directly attributed to using shards over shell. Or maybe it was described in terms of multipliers, i.e. "6.5x multiplier with shell 8.5x with shards" -- something quantitative like that
Reply Quote
Well seems to be 2 possibilities for me.

Shards is not activating on expire(Doubtful)

or

Shards does not scale well with high dps(At 365k when wound up)
Reply Quote
The thing about Shards is, it's dps is greatly affected by your latency. It is in the same line as "freezing strength". Those with good latency (points at Aimless) will report a much higher contribution of dps from Shards compare to those with bad latency, 300ms or more.

And it is 100% confirmed that shards deals dmg in both being expired and recast.
Reply Quote
^But why would the effect of shards altogether vanish in his test, yet his freeze doesn't altogether vanish?

(assuming the numbers and results in his test is all accurate, and the test setup is controlled properly)
Reply Quote
Shards has a terrible radius. If you freeze anything at the edge at your frost nova or explosive blast, shards won't hit them. Have to see video on how he did his test.
Reply Quote
hearsay:
diamond shards only triggers damage when it expires/destroyed. and not when it is recast.

Unless there has been some sort of ninja nerf, this isn't true. Diamond shards does damage on every cast. I'm not at a place to retest.
Reply Quote
01/25/2013 04:19 AMPosted by Mil
Shards has a terrible radius. If you freeze anything at the edge at your frost nova or explosive blast, shards won't hit them. Have to see video on how he did his test.

I thought consesus was that DS range > EB range. The idea being that while DS is only 5-15% single target dps increase, for farm runs it contributes more than 5-15% to killing efficiency because of the larger radius of attack.

As far as the results in this topic, my mind is boggled.
Reply Quote

I thought consesus was that DS range > EB range. The idea being that while DS is only 5-15% single target dps increase, for farm runs it contributes more than 5-15% to killing efficiency because of the larger radius of attack.

I just did a test regarding the radius of Diamond Shards.

The result is, Diamond Shards radius is indeed less than the radius of Frost Nova.

How I test, get a pack of elite, frost them and only spam WW on one of them. Spam FN and DS only. The one that is on the edge of FN does not take dmg at all and will be constantly frozen. Anyone feel free to prove otherwise.

The reason it shows increase in killing efficieny is because, unlike other Diamond Skin's Runes, Diamond Shards procs CM and APoC meaning increasing your multiplier indirectly.
Reply Quote

I just did a test regarding the radius of Diamond Shards.

The result is, Diamond Shards radius is indeed less than the radius of Frost Nova.

How I test, get a pack of elite, frost them and only spam WW on one of them. Spam FN and DS only. The one that is on the edge of FN does not take dmg at all and will be constantly frozen. Anyone feel free to prove otherwise.

The reason it shows increase in killing efficieny is because, unlike other Diamond Skin's Runes, Diamond Shards procs CM and APoC meaning increasing your multiplier indirectly.

What about EB range? I'm not surprised about FN >shards range. That FN range is pretty large it seems. Thanks for testing though.
Reply Quote
I did some testing with Ghom in combination with Keep Depth (1, 2 and 3) runs on MP7 using CM/WW build and some other skills such as magic weapon / meteor. I did about 10 runs in total.

Ghom:

Magic Weapon: 35 seconds
Meteor: 45 seconds

Keep run:

Magic Weapon: 575k XP per minute
Meteor: 625k XP per minute

I also did one teleport run and it seemed even worse but it could've been an unlucky run with a lower average. Rune choice for Meteor; star pact was more efficient than molten (I have 24 APoC).

Does this conclude that testing a certain build on Ghom doesn't necessarily mean that it's also effectively better for doing certain runs? Especially since Ghom is a single target and most encounters are multiple targets.
Edited by Woah#2776 on 3/18/2013 1:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been using shell recently... Duno why it seems to work better
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]