Diablo® III

I played poe for a bit...

Apparently the one generating this thread does not understand D3 and the real issues with it. First, the Disney land Fairy tale butterflies & little miss muppet spider ladies or rainbows with unicorns are an insult to the very concept of Diablo and the cool down on spells and & the AH is anything but Diablo. My son called me yesterday saying he just installed and was playing POE and it was awesome, it was everything D3 should have been. I was curious and downloaded it and was playing it. Though I was playing a little while and realized that I was playing all night. He is absolutely right, POE is everything D3 should have been. its not always about the end game its about playing the damned game. if its not worth playing f..k the end game. At least there were no butterflies, annoying spider ladies, rainbows or unicorns or constant in-game pop-ups with corny dialog,
90 Night Elf Hunter
PoE is a decent game, especially for F2P, but as it's shaping up now, I don't see much replay value for me, especially since I'm not a PvP'er.

Of course that might change as I progress in the game (and the direction the game takes in beta), but right now it looks as though I'll play through just once--which is more than I did with TL2.

01/27/2013 12:13 PMPosted by grovak
Graphics PoE>Diablo 3>Torchlight

Seriously? Diablo's graphics are far superior to PoE's. Unless you're talking about art direction, which is a totally different animal--and that's a matter of personal preference (gritty realism vs. painterly stylism). I know I prefer D3's as it's less fatiguing to the eye.
01/27/2013 12:27 PMPosted by xNYROx
Matter of fact POE's graphics do not even beat TL2's graphics as far as polish and overall detail.

I see the details and stuff are not great on PoE but the overall art style I think is awesome, way better than I was expecting from youtube and people comments.

I enjoy PoE's graphics more than D3 right now but that could change, D3 is too much like WoW mixed with some disney, and the spell effects are decent looking but overwhelm the screen which has a poor field of view (1080p)
Edited by iwonsch#1358 on 1/27/2013 12:39 PM PST
Apparently the one generating this thread does not understand D3 and the real issues with it. First, the Disney land Fairy tale butterflies & little miss muppet spider ladies or rainbows with unicorns are an insult to the very concept of Diablo and the cool down on spells and & the AH is anything but Diablo. My son called me yesterday saying he just installed and was playing POE and it was awesome, it was everything D3 should have been. I was curious and downloaded it and was playing it. Though I was playing a little while and realized that I was playing all night. He is absolutely right, POE is everything D3 should have been. its not always about the end game its about playing the damned game. if its not worth playing f..k the end game. At least there were no butterflies, annoying spider ladies, rainbows or unicorns or constant in-game pop-ups with corny dialog,

Been playing since CB with POE...over 500 dollars donated to them. Regret every single penny of it.

As I see it these are the standings with the 3 major ARPGs right now.

GRAPHICS- D3>TL2>POE

Gameplay- POE>D3>TL2 (POE beating D3 only because it is so creative and different compared to what we are use to)

Community- TL2>D3>POE(TL@ has the kindest carebear community ever lol it is all ponies and rainbows for them attitude wise)

Potential- D3>POE>TL2

Storyline- D3>TL2>POE

Economy-TL2>POE>D3

Drop rates on top items- TL2>D3>POE

Overall Polish- D3>TL2>POE

These opinions are based on m playing all the games. I just recently returned to D3 after Playing POE and TL2 and I regret getting rid of everything before I left.

POE- I was a CB and a test. Over 500 dollars donated. 80+ of each class before the game opened. 2x 80+ now. Regret every dollar and minute spent.

TL2- Honestly I just could not get into it. It is a game I would suggest for younger age groups maybe 13-17.

D3- Alot of Issues but overall the most polished game and the population shows it. Yes it has died down some but it still ha a higher population then both the other 2 games put together.
You are posting filth and lies, letting everybody know.
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/27/2013 01:03 PMPosted by alastor
You are posting filth and lies, letting everybody know.

Well, that's a powerful rebuttal :P
Here's my ordering:

GRAPHICS- POE>D3>TL2
But maybe this is a style factor. POEs shadows/lighting and FX are a leap beyond the other two.

Gameplay- POE>D3>TL2
I have POE beating D3 because of the meaningful character customization. Play (fight) mechanics are so similar it's hard to tell the difference otherwise. TL2 loses because the controls are a little clunkier generally, and the action is not as intense.

Community- POE>TL2>D3
POE has so much enthusiasm right now. TL2 is dying down, D3 is an abyss of pessimism.

Potential- POE>D3>TL2
POE is changing at a rapid pace, they are on fire in terms of development activity. D3 is a close second because they have the budget and the capability, and the art assets to turn it into something great, but their track record so far suggest they will not. TL2 could turn things around with their editor, but I doubt it will have enough capability.

Storyline- D3>TL2>POE
Agreed with you on this one. D3's story is detailed and cohesive. Neither of the other two has an interesting story arc.

Economy-POE>D3>TL2
TL2 has no economy since it leaks cheat items from single player into the multiplayer realm. POE has a working economy that doesn't require p2w to enjoy the end game. D3 has an economy, but it doesn't work, and there's more cheating going on than in POE right now.

Drop rates on top items- TL2>POE>D3
TL2 drops a lot of great items, agreed, and you can edit yourself anything you want. POE has already (in 50 hours) dropped me a few uniques, something I didn't see even my first of until I was over 200 hours into D3.

Overall Polish- ???
Depends on what exactly you're trying to quantify with this.

I've played all 3 games over 50 hours. D3 has gotten the most of my time so far, but I'm pretty sure I'll be switching most of my time to POE once it's out of beta and I know my characters aren't going to be wiped.

D3 has the biggest community because it's a blizzard game with big marketing muscle behind it. They had a lot of ads on mainstream shows. POE doesn't have that. What they do have is a game that's already overall superior, and is likely to get better. Blizzard better hope their new director can get their dev team out of neutral.
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/27/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Surt
I've played all 3 games over 50 hours. D3 has gotten the most of my time so far, but I'm pretty sure I'll be switching most of my time to POE once it's out of beta and I know my characters aren't going to be wiped.

GGG has said that there will be no more character wipes.
You saying POE's graphics beat D3's graphics make your entire opinion invalid. Not even POE's developers would make such a stupid comment.EDIT: Matter of fact POE's graphics do not even beat TL2's graphics as far as polish and overall detail.

The graphics in POE has its highlights and downfalls eg. the beach environment is i feel is done very well whereas the caves could have been done better. But i still prefer the realistic look than the kiddies cartoon graphics.

Blizzard should break away from these cartoon graphics and come up with some new ground breaking graphics like blade and soul or TERA
01/27/2013 01:16 PMPosted by Exia
You saying POE's graphics beat D3's graphics make your entire opinion invalid. Not even POE's developers would make such a stupid comment.EDIT: Matter of fact POE's graphics do not even beat TL2's graphics as far as polish and overall detail.

The graphics in POE has its highlights and downfalls eg. the beach environment is i feel is done very well whereas the caves could have been done better. But i still prefer the realistic look than the kiddies cartoon graphics.

Blizzard should break away from these cartoon graphics and come up with some new ground breaking graphics like blade and soul or TERA

Wow, the cave environments were where I first thought, OMG, this is beautiful. Their art direction just fits with me I guess. Not that the beach wasn't gorgeous too.
i dn understand wats wrong with d3 its an awesome none of the games in the world has given this dark and moody atmosphere i jst lov diablo from the beginning the i liked t2 but diablo is a brand and no 1 can change it what evr crap they spit out in reality all the ppl who talk crap is actually loving diablo 3 somewhere in their minds and are too stubborn to accept how many loot driven and dungeon crawling games comes out diablo and specially diablo 3 is the king and no 1 can change it its gameplay, classes, graphics, story, atmosphere all are the top notch.

and i have also seen ppl sayin the story is crappy then u criticizers it self cook up a crappy story and spit it out iam really fed up of hearin crap abt D3 and iam done with it and its not a forum for only D3 supporters and fans so post wat the heck u want .

Because you're a child. I do not mean that in a disrepectful sense, but a literal one. Most old school D2 players were probably your age or older when they first played D2. This D3/D2 rift parallels the new versus old Star Wars trilogy very well. Children fail to understand why the new trilogy is hated because they never had experiences with the old trilogy.

The older Diablo fans were given a game for children in the same way the old Star Wars fans were handed movies for children.

I personally blame World of Warcraft for this iteration of D3. Blizzard moved from niche gaming to mainstream gaming a long time ago. WoW is their current model for game production and that's exactly what they followed to make D3. It's fine; it just means that Diablo's original player base will be replaced.

This is an extremely simplistic explanation, but that's how I see it.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Arrgh!

Twice the servers have crashed just after a boss fight and right before I could loot.

Mother loving sons of guns!

I suppose I'll wait until the servers are made more stable because this sucks.

P.S. Yeah, I know, beta and all that, but damn!
I can't be bothered with this PoE. I've watched a lot of videos and the recent ign 45min interview with developers showing the game.

The first expression I had from that game was so bad that I will never play it.

Skill tree copied straight from over ten years old playstation game, ugly graphics and artwork. Bad looking landscapes and backgrounds. So poor a storyline that even the developers didn't know what tale the game is supposed to tell.

Game is completely free to play and players are able to donate money to developers if they like the game. That's awesome, I gotta admit. But free labour also made the game look so bad that many people including won't even try it out. It looks too god damn amateurish.
Edited by Hellfis#2549 on 1/27/2013 2:10 PM PST
It's difficult to rank D3's story against the competition because, from my perspective, you can either credit the substantial backstory and overall potential for story arcs or you can focus on how the execution (namely the writing style, progression, and ultimate closure) could have been improved.

D3's story had wonderful potential, and there were some good ideas and a handful of quotable lines (mostly the follower comic relief ones...), but it was told in a heavy-handed Saturday morning cartoon story line sort of manner that robbed it of any credibility or tension. Additionally, the best voice talent they had at their disposal was effectively wasted on bit parts (Claudia Black's Cydaea ought to have been a much more prominent character, and Troy Baker, while a great Scoundrel, merited a hero role).

The game did a lot of things beautifully, and the team deserves their due for creating a fun experience with loving attention to detail, but the WoW influence on the art style (pretty enough, but does every Blizzard game need to have this aesthetic now?) and the unsophisticated storytelling need to be phased out.
I decided to take a break from diablo 3. After playing Path of Exile, I realized that my time away form diablo 3 is permanent.

PoE Is a far beter game, and diablo 3 will never be good enough for me. I am sick of d3, it is nothing like it should have been. See you all in PoE hopefully. It's fun as hell!
I can't be bothered with this PoE. I've watched a lot of videos and the recent ign 45min interview with developers showing the game.

The first expression I had from that game was so bad that I will never play it.

Skill tree copied straight from over ten years old playstation game, ugly graphics and artwork. Bad looking landscapes and backgrounds. So poor a storyline that even the developers didn't know what tale the game is supposed to tell.

Game is completely free to play and players are able to donate money to developers if they like the game. That's awesome, I gotta admit. But free labour also made the game look so bad that many people including won't even try it out. It looks too god damn amateurish.

You mean impression? I had the same impressions watching videos of the game but i tried it anyways and have never looked back.
01/27/2013 01:16 PMPosted by Exia

I don't mind the "cartoony" graphics. Of course it's not exactly the same as WoW, but it has a similar finish. The best part is, this style of design has a very timeless quality to it. Take a look at Team Fortress 2. That games been out for a while now, but doesn't really feel "dated". You look back at Diablo 1&2, no matter what people say about how they prefer it's "grit", it doesn't hold up to the test of time as well.

Still, I find it troubling that people can't seem to get over the aesthetic and claim it's a major "problem" with the game. If the entire game was literally Whimsyshire, then we could all agree, but it's not...and that was kinda the point of Whimsyshire.

I don't prefer PoE's graphic style, but it's fine, and I would never use that as a criticism unless it was really off the wall, or really terrible.

Children fail to understand why the new trilogy is hated because they never had experiences with the old trilogy.

The older Diablo fans were given a game for children in the same way the old Star Wars fans were handed movies for children.

I personally blame World of Warcraft for this iteration of D3

That's not true for everyone. I played the original Diablo, I've seen the original Star Was, and I'm able to see their faults seeing them now with my adult perspective. The originals were not so perfect that only young people can appreciate the new because they "don't know better".

Don't blame WoW...blame Warcraft as a whole. Think about Warcraft 1,2, and 3. Heck, look at Blackthorne and The Lost Vikings!. Blizzard just didn't invent this with WoW. This "cartoony" aesthetic has been around for a long time at Blizzard...and people like it.
You don't take 1350 choose 111, because the skills on the tree need to be taken in a path. Taking 1350 choose 111 assumes you can jump nodes and pick any you want. /facepalm
Since the rest of your math is derived from this terribly stupid assumption, it can safely be ignored as being 3rd grade math. :)

You take the part that I ignored out of the final result I had on a small sample good one. Maybe you should learn comprehension. Obviously I know that's wrong but as I said you're too lazy to do any math of your own. Is that the only thing wrong oh dear lazy math teacher? or you just bubbling nonsense when I said i already didn't include that result? If i can traverse 111 spots on that 1350 tree regardless of i i start and reach any single node on it and someone else mimics that same traversal and deviates it by 1 node we have a different build already. Sorry D3 has nothing like this in terms of stats or BUILDS.

Underlined the relevant portions?
LOL the first one you quoted was a question of your integrity.

the second one wasn't even directed at you moron and was once again a question regarding clarification of the information idiot.

the third one, ROFL you're really telling me you've actually equipped something lik spectral blades magic missile shock bolts and electrocute as a build? I didn't think it'd come across anyone's mind with any kind of common sense. I can understand someone trying 2 but all 4? LOL okay.....*slowly backs away* But since you like to ignore all of that it leads me to this next point which you still fail to grasp cuz you're an undeniable terrible troll yourself, a very stuck up one at that.

01/27/2013 08:35 AMPosted by Veldin
One is the presence of buffer stats like + int or + str. The real choices are the special skills, not these stat buffers. If you want to count stat boosts as a choice, sure let's do that and count D3's gear stats as a 'choices'. That's like saying, "Hey Vile Ward can roll 170-200 main stat! Oh look, that makes 31 choices!"

Dude shutup and get off your highhorse in PoE those stat buffers are part anyone's build.
You were talking about builds these are choices players make, hell just define the word BUILD, that 1350 passive tree is PART of the BUILD.
Holymoly Diablo 3 what do you do with your stats? Nothing really LOL tell me when did you ever influence your stats or how they upgrade? You're going to tell me armor changes it? No it doesn't when did you choose how your stats roll on a certain piece of equip? You can't even modify it in anyway it's either vendor trash or Auction house material. rofl PoE you have orbs and things to readjust or re-roll with certainty or how about quality upgarde? or different rarity, or how about slot change? modify 1 slot change? modify 1 magic property? lmao could go on and on D3's very simple here's how it works => D3 it's kill more mindlessly and deteriorate your brain. And then your upgrades are : Am I going to equip this armor? Yes or No. That's the decision you make literally. The stats in D3 are meaningless. Main Stat + vit anyone?

Very neat of you, only quoting my first scenario. Do you even understand simple English? I said it's only fair if we compare using EITHER of the two methods above.

hahaaha, quoting your first scenario is the way i WENT retard. DO YOU UNDERSTAND SIMPLE ENGLISH? LOL. Just read what you said do I have to make it extremely obvious to a monkey?
"? I said it's only fair if we compare using EITHER of the two methods above." <- EITHER? NOT BOTH
Good job quoting me out of context, troll. I gave TWO scenarios, in an attempt to strive for some consistency of argument, since you were making a complete fool of yourself trying to see-saw between the two scenarios to buffer your own argument. Here let me quote it for you again since you suffer from selective reading:

LOL see-saw between the two scenarios to buffer my own argument? the facepalm fail here isn't enough to suffice for the amount of fail you're displaying right now.
Taking out of context, what exactly? I did a small sample of PoE's possible builds with disregard to viability. AKA your scenario 1 and ended up with MORE builds by a factor of incomprehensible amounts vs. D3's TOTAL builds with disregard to viability AND the passive tree not included so once again, get bent. That's my ARGUMENT so let's have it here old chap, you're basically saying you're a fool for having someone actually follow YOUR statement and YOUR scenario, aka 1st SCENARIO i quoted, and is now being butthurt about it?

Sorry mate you just don't make any sense now and contradicting yourself.
Quoting me in response to someone else(i.e. the one I was asking Lord about his information) when you think it applies to you solely means you're just trying to get attention.
FYI you're still lazy to provide anything of actual value to your own scenario.

Post #275
Stop switching the subject, I already said this includes "all useless builds" vs. D3's total count, and it already is skewed in PoE's favor regardless of how you want to twist that. You said the only thing comparable is to take everything wellt her you have it, all skill gems all support gems all modifiers and all passives included. Just like D3's small 3.4trillion which includes useless builds also, whether or not the huge 1350 passive tree isn't a big a deal or not doesn't null the fact that PoE has a lot more builds than D3 ever will.
I never said anything about viability dummy.

And to add to this post: All those things mentioned are player influenced by their decision and choices to their BUILD.
Idiot. There's your scenario 1. I never see-sawed between 2 scenarios to buffer my own... argument??? which was BASED ON YOURS? *giggle* you're a fool.
Keep nitpicking plz because you're really only nitpicking your own scenario, it's already pretty damn concise where I went with my argument rofl.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/27/2013 3:11 PM PST
01/27/2013 01:29 PMPosted by Slappy
I personally blame World of Warcraft for this iteration of D3. Blizzard moved from niche gaming to mainstream gaming a long time ago. WoW is their current model for game production and that's exactly what they followed to make D3. It's fine; it just means that Diablo's original player base will be replaced.

I fear you are right. Even though I played tons of WoW in the day, this "mainstream" model seems to be the current problem with the company.
Edited by Raznor#2114 on 1/27/2013 2:45 PM PST
I decided to take a break from diablo 3. After playing Path of Exile, I realized that my time away form diablo 3 is permanent.

PoE Is a far beter game, and diablo 3 will never be good enough for me. I am sick of d3, it is nothing like it should have been. See you all in PoE hopefully. It's fun as hell!

Completely agree.

The people trashing POE must have no experience with d2 or real legitimately good RPG's. I'm sorry but D3 has been a major disappointment from the first day of release(for everyone criticizing POE for server downtime, have you all forgotten error 37?).

The fact of the matter is that I can get 1000 rares in d3 and chances are 990+ of those will be vended, and maybe a couple will sell for a small amount of gold on the AH, and MAYBE one or two will be a decent drop that either sells on the AH for a good clip or provides an upgrade.

That is NOT the recipe for a good RPG.

But in all honesty we can debate back and forth all day, what it really comes down to is the bottom line. D3 is nowhere remotely near FUN enough for most people to play, and that is why nowhere near as many people are playing the game compared to what D2 experienced, AND it's also why the POE servers are experiencing so many load issues.

At this point I don't know that I'll be coming back to d3, because the itemization is still broken and far from a fix being in the works, it seems to me that the development team doesn't even REALIZE that it's a broken system. You can't fix a problem that you aren't even aware of.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]