Diablo® III

I played poe for a bit...

Yes you can enjoy PoE and D3, but currently the only thing I would enjoy in D3 would be the graphics, and graphics don't mean too much to me. I like substance, customization and complexity and to me, D3 does not have those.

I do however agree that both do have pros and cons, but the only pro for me on D3 is graphics and maybe UI.

I agree the D3 UI is way better at this point but they both could use improvement.
I played Torchlight 2 for 13 hours, and then stopped. I bet the same thing will happen to those who play PoE. They'll eventually just come back to D3 for more of the same...
In playing POE I can honestly say I am quite surprised how good the graphics are compared to what some of the trolls would have you believe. The art style direction they took is just so different from D3 that it is really hard to compare them. I just wish it had the game play smoothness and monster hit detection like D3 has...hard to put it to words other than to say its a little clunky, but still fun.

Yup I feel you on the clunky part, I think a big part of it is the attack animation. Right now it seems like you need to complete the animation to move now and I think if they change some code it can become smoother. They have said that in the future they plan to update the graphics etc and also make available animations from the store for skills.

Imagine if D3 didn't go the RMAH route instead had a store to buy character models or something. BOOM profit, because one of the main complaints in D3 is everyone looks the same.

I think the clunky pauses during attacks were done on purpose to give attack speed more value.

This was something that was also a part of diablo 2. It is a complicated subject I do not want to get into it because I only faintly remember anything about it. I think the idea was to have enough attack speed to get through animations quicker.
Edited by Malevo#1666 on 1/25/2013 1:14 PM PST
While POE does have many possabilities - because of the skill tree - (and I have played it - on beta) - all the people seem to be using the same "builds" - like d3 - I play when they fix the blizz server.

I didn't bother to check out builds on my barb till Paragon 10 - I did not use ww or sprint - I do now - I am having fun on d3 - soloing or playing in public.
Posting in a TL2 thread.

Wait... what??!?!

What the heck is goin' on out heahhh?!
01/25/2013 01:10 PMPosted by Mist
I played Torchlight 2 for 13 hours, and then stopped. I bet the same thing will happen to those who play PoE. They'll eventually just come back to D3 for more of the same...

Cripes, I was only able to stomach the rainbow colored candy land graphics for 20 minutes before I quit TL2. I understand its a good game but I just couldn't get over that. POE on the other hand has my utmost attention right now like D3 when it first came out. I think they both can have long term re-playability in the long run...
View profile
01/25/2013 11:20 AMPosted by njkk
poe= too many skills unbalanced QQ.
give me something that actually looks awesome like elder scrolls online.

Indeed. I can't wait for it!
I paid and joined the beta early. I am by no means a PoE veteran. (level 24 or so)

All I can say is that I really enjoy Diablo 3 more. The main reason being combat fluidity. There is some clunkyness to PoE that I just can't put my finger on. At first it didn't bother me but then it slowly wore me down.

The action in D3 seems to be more fast paced compared to PoE. Poe had it's challenges but it definitely is for those that really really enjoyed D1 and D2.

After spending a lot of time in Diablo 3...i really don't want to go back to a Diablo 2ish game. Diablo 3 isn't like Diablo 2 and that's part of the reason I like it.

PoE is not for everyone...but it is a GOOD game. I got bored after a while because the gem system/skill inconsistency as a result of switching out gems bothered me as well. I can't count the number of times that i was enjoying a skill only to find a weapon upgrade that didn't have the socket I needed to continue using that skill. Often times i would pass on uniques for the simple reason of it not having the right "slots" and that bothered the hell out of me.

Regardless I'll probably play PoE off and on...but nothing can replace Diablo 3 for me...dispite it's flaws, Diablo 3 is like an old dog...it's annoying but man I love it.
Edited by Prisus#1338 on 1/25/2013 1:22 PM PST
They need to release an expansion pack pronto. The grind is staring to get to me. :-(
This thread is dripping with fanboy love so I'll make this quick.

Blizzard can learn a lot from PoE the itemization is amazing the social grouping system/pvp que system is amazing. The endgame is amazing and the classes are balanced. If you ask me Blizzard should outright steal these ideas for their next expansion if they did that Diablo 3 would be an amazing game a mix of top notch game play and graphics with PoE's other system would make for an unbeatable game.
01/25/2013 01:20 PMPosted by Prisus
I can't count the number of times that i was enjoying a skill only to find a weapon upgrade that didn't have the socket I needed to continue using that skill. Often times i would pass on uniques for the simple reason of it not having the right "slots" and that bothered the hell out of me.
You do realize you can change the color of sockets in items, change the amount of sockets in an item and also change the links of those sockets and you can do it without changing the stats of the item itself right?

That is one of the greatest things about PoE. You find a good item that has the stats you want and make it do what you want.
Edited by gudmugly#1581 on 1/25/2013 1:45 PM PST
I like the idea that when your HC character dies in POE it gets moved to SC. It's a smart way of getting a lot more people to try out and enjoy HC.

On the other hand though I'm surprised so many people want to play a beta. I prefer just to wait until the full game is ready rather than put up with all the bugs.
Nice to meet you ignorant d3 fanbois. Go play with your auction house, The item you want might get sniped, better remember to set your alarm clock.
On the other hand though I'm surprised so many people want to play a beta. I prefer just to wait until the full game is ready rather than put up with all the bugs.
League of Legends was in beta for a long time (I think it still is) that didn't stop people from spending money on the shop and playing the game though. I'll gladly play it. It's a free game.
Imo, maybe if we pack top tier builds, viable builds, and crazy but funny builds, I wouldn't be scared if D3 and PoE have the same number of builds.

Problem is the feeling of choice, even when the choices are obvious. I'm not saying PoE is a bad game, it's like a crazy mom/girlfriend/wife with piles of recipe books that ends up cooking the same dishes. It isn't "drive in" x world's most famous chef like some people think.

Allocating stats and skills can end up being useless for the vast majority of players that just want to have fun smashing stuff, but a good part of the vast majority likes to feel "like a boss" researching builds and rerolling characters due to poor choices. Human brain feels good when it doesn't crash and burn something he could have destroyed if it wasn't paying attention. D3, imo, lost the "I didn't fail when I could" joyful feeling.

I believe the whole thing could be resumed as how it feels. Let me explain my situation.
(The PoE section some people don't want to read on Diablo forums - Tl,Dr - I spent a lot of time planning a D3 barb/D&D4 Warden)

I'm playing with a Tank Duelist. Dual wield, cleave + trap for ground effect + skill for 1 target DOT. I got a passive to convert evasion into armor and I plan to get another that uses life as a resource, so I won't use mana + another one to avoid stun. Rest goes into life, armor, crit chance, resists, attack rating, attack speed and wait... I just took a long road of a couple hours studying the humongous passive skill tree to creat a D3 barb on PoE.

I spent a few hours planning the build, felt like a boss when finding the combination, felt like a boss again when I got the right active skill gems and ended up just like an everyday dervish/dual wielding barbarian/etc. Problem is that I can make a huge mistake, having to start the character again.

While you choose a few skills on passive tree that personalize your build, all the rest of "choices" are "captain obvious goes to carnival and needs survivabily/damage/hit stuff".

Your class in the end of the day is just a choice on how you want ability scores to progress (one or two main stats), since some passives aren't that far away when you are on the outer circle of the tree.

One of the core errors of D3, imo, is taking away the "wasted time" planning builds and feeling "like a boss" "reinventing-the-wheel" with our awesome "out-of-the-box" <generic RPG cliche, next please>.
Edited by Baron#1545 on 1/25/2013 2:27 PM PST
I actually do agree (as I played some poe yesterday), it was a bit annoying to see the global chat filled up with D3 bashing.

I don't like D3 in it's current state, and i'll criticize it with the best of them, but I really think the bashing should be left to this forum. I encountered the same thing in GW2, not as often but it was there.

Haha most people would say to get the negativity OUT of this forum, you're the first person who wants to bring it back in.

Sorry but D3 is bad and the many people who think so need a place to talk about that fact. The game that we are rebounding from this break-up with seems like the first place.
just downloaded POE and played a little last night. Looks really interesting. Lots of stuff to learn. I have not really studied that humongous passive tree yet but it looks really cool. I like D3 but it has grown stale for me lately.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]